Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Re: Around The NBA 

Post#1341 » by toooskies » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:But the "playoffs going poorly" is a very subjective term.

What Mitchell thinks that means is important to his future.

What Koby thinks that means is important to Jb's future.

Potetinally what Dan thinks that means is important to Koby and Jb's future but i doubt it.

What the fan's think that mean isn't important but it could still vary from fan to fan.

I think Koby resting on his laurels based on a 20 game sample is foolish; especially since the opponent combined record is 448-646 (40.95% winning percentage). Sitting on his hands could come back to bite him in the butt.

Name your move, describe why it would be beneficial and not mess up team chemistry, why the player would play in the rotation (or why they'd be happy on the bench), and why it would be worth whatever assets are going out.
Let's just wait until April and see if being passive was the correct move.

You didn't wait till April to call him foolish.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Post#1342 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:27 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Name your move, describe why it would be beneficial and not mess up team chemistry, why the player would play in the rotation (or why they'd be happy on the bench), and why it would be worth whatever assets are going out.
Let's just wait until April and see if being passive was the correct move.

The guy is a drunk i can call him foolish whenever lmao
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1343 » by toooskies » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:05 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Let's just wait until April and see if being passive was the correct move.

You called him foolish for not making a move, do you find that any move is better than nothing right now?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1344 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:09 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:You didn't wait till April to call him foolish.

You called him foolish for not making a move, do you find that any move is better than nothing right now?
I'll get back to you in April, since there's no names linked to the free agents they turned away. There's also no indication who they were on the phone with at the trade deadline, if anyone.

The only thing we have to go off of is Koby's word... "do you detract from the vibe, the atmosphere, the continuity that's being built? That's not something I wanted to mess with".
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#1345 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Me too, more than anything, Cavs haven't won a series without LeBron in like 30+ years or something.

Yeah, agreed another 1st round loss probably ensures Mitchell doesn't extend. Doesn't mean they will trade him though, Koby has been very okay with being very passive this season. It doesn't even mean Jb will be gone, especially if the Cavs eclipse that 51 regular season win mark.

As it stands today the Cavs are currently matched up with the Heat, which I hate that matchup but nothing guarantees the Cavs will finish #2 then even if they do, the play-in has to happen.

I am not fond of firing a coach just to fire a coach. If the playoffs go poorly and we do fire JBB, I'm hoping we have someone back-channeled in mind. And if a specific coach is a pre-condition of Mitchell or Mobley being willing to extend, we'd have to consider that.

JBB is lined up to be the fall guy in case the team disappoints. I wonder if what the Bucks have gone through will inform our actions.
But the "playoffs going poorly" is a very subjective term.

What Mitchell thinks that means is important to his future.

What Koby thinks that means is important to Jb's future.

Potetinally what Dan thinks that means is important to Koby and Jb's future but i doubt it.

What the fan's think that mean isn't important but it could still vary from fan to fan.

I think Koby resting on his laurels based on a 20 game sample is foolish; especially since the opponent combined record is 448-646 (40.95% winning percentage). Sitting on his hands could come back to bite him in the butt.

A lot of things could come back to bite Koby, but doing something like betting on his own guys is a forward looking approach. The idea is to get this group of players to take responsibility for their success or lack there of and they didn't want to lose anyone to add someone else. So, it's on them to fill any gaps that may leave in the roster. If they fail, I hope they take responsibility and commit themselves to learn, grow, and want to try again as a group.

If Mitchell feels like he's part of this group, it's more likely he will want to stay regardless of how the season ends. I feel the worst way to do things is like the Cavs did leading up to 2010 and 2018 where they kept making roster changes trying to appease LeBron, but had little youth and only limited ways to improve the team that were all contingent on someone asking to be traded to the Cavs to play with LeBron rather than say the Heat or Lakers.

If we do end up trading one of our young promising players like Bates, CPJ, even Okoro; I want to cash out on their peak value, not because some team with a rental has caught us desperate to make a move to appease Dan Gilbert, LeBron James, or ... Don Mitchell.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1346 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:05 pm

[instagram][/instagram]
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:You didn't wait till April to call him foolish.

Right at the top of the list would be two of Mitchell's former teammates in Bogdanovic and RON; but not only would we have to top the fairly meh assets other team's gave up for them, we'd have to match the salary, and then get them incorporated in to the team before the playoffs start.

Okoro being an expiring is likely gone and maybe Wade to match salary? Then we lose a bunch of seconds, and maybe we lose CPJ, Merrill or Bates as a sweetener?

That would suck IMO.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Around The NBA 

Post#1347 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:43 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Yet it doesn't change the fact we've been terrific on the road (#1 in the league), which is kind of weird for a young team.

In a good way, sure, but it may be telling us something about either the composure of our team or the strength of our road schedule.

... Or maybe we didn't have a home-court advantage early in the year because of how many Cavs "fans" wanted to fire the coach or trade the best player.

Haha, I think even the critics are going to get in to the game and cheer when things get fun, unless they bet against the Cavs? How miserable would that be to bet against your team and then go to the game and watch them cost you money.

Naw. This is my hedge strategy. I bet against the Cavs in every finals, Indians in 2016, Browns in playoffs, etc.

More than happy to lose a if they win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1348 » by toooskies » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:[instagram][/instagram]
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The guy is a drunk i can call him foolish whenever lmao

Right at the top of the list would be two of Mitchell's former teammates in Bogdanovic and RON; but not only would we have to top the fairly meh assets other team's gave up for them, we'd have to match the salary, and then get them incorporated in to the team before the playoffs start.

Okoro being an expiring is likely gone and maybe Wade to match salary? Then we lose a bunch of seconds, and maybe we lose CPJ, Merrill or Bates as a sweetener?

That would suck IMO.

See, that's the thing, I don't see a reasonable deal for either of those two that's better than what we'd be sending out just in salary. RON might not even make the rotation.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1349 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:38 pm

toooskies wrote:
toooskies wrote:You called him foolish for not making a move, do you find that any move is better than nothing right now?

That would suck IMO.

See, that's the thing, I don't see a reasonable deal for either of those two that's better than what we'd be sending out just in salary. RON might not even make the rotation.

In a nutshell, that's why we didn't make a move. We like what we've got too much. Whether we're just deluding ourselves is tbd, but health, continuity, and consistent minutes are huge factors to getting the most out of a roster.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1350 » by toooskies » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:22 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:

That would suck IMO.

In a nutshell, that's why we didn't make a move. We like what we've got too much. Whether we're just deluding ourselves is tbd, but health, continuity, and consistent minutes are huge factors to getting the most out of a roster.

I mean, for practical reasons someone is going to get hurt and we're going to wish we had one more guy who was ready to play in playoff scenarios. But it's impossible to know who that one more guy is going to be. And it's hard to justify giving up assets for insurance given that the FO has been reluctant to enter to the tax with this core.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1351 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:56 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:See, that's the thing, I don't see a reasonable deal for either of those two that's better than what we'd be sending out just in salary. RON might not even make the rotation.

I mean, for practical reasons someone is going to get hurt and we're going to wish we had one more guy who was ready to play in playoff scenarios. But it's impossible to know who that one more guy is going to be. And it's hard to justify giving up assets for insurance given that the FO has been reluctant to enter to the tax with this core.

Reluctant isn't the word I'd use ... it doesn't make sense to start the luxury tax timer just to add a buyout player who's willing to sign here for little money and no prospect of playing time. Besides, weren't we hard capped by the Strus S&T?

We'll may sign a break in case of emergency player once all the teams that can promise minutes and/or $ fill their roster.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1352 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:41 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10109994-2024-nba-mock-draft-latest-full-2-round-projections

Never too early for a mock draft, right? Idk the guy mocked to the Cavs but by his frame it is what the doctor ordered!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1353 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:30 am

Checkout the new shirt fellas!Image
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#1354 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:40 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I'll be surprised if any of those guys make the final roster for the Knicks.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/12/knicks-waive-dylan-windler-will-sign-taj-gibson.html#google_vignette

It was short lived for Mr. Windler, got his spot stolen by a 38 year old. Which honestly, I'd rather have Taj than Rubio because at least he will report to the team.

Maybe Windler can join Goodwin and Diakite in West Chester lol
https://www.si.com/nba/2024/01/07/lakers-sign-dylan-windler-g-league-day-record-33-rebound-game-knicks

The Windler saga continues!

"The signing of Windler comes one day after he scored 23 points and grabbed a G League record 33 rebounds for the Westchester Knicks".
https://lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-dylan-windler-being-waived-to-sign-harry-giles-iii-to-two-way-contract/

Well, that was short lived lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1355 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:15 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/12/knicks-waive-dylan-windler-will-sign-taj-gibson.html#google_vignette

It was short lived for Mr. Windler, got his spot stolen by a 38 year old. Which honestly, I'd rather have Taj than Rubio because at least he will report to the team.

Maybe Windler can join Goodwin and Diakite in West Chester lol
https://www.si.com/nba/2024/01/07/lakers-sign-dylan-windler-g-league-day-record-33-rebound-game-knicks

"The signing of Windler comes one day after he scored 23 points and grabbed a G League record 33 rebounds for the Westchester Knicks".
https://lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-dylan-windler-being-waived-to-sign-harry-giles-iii-to-two-way-contract/

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/news/breaking-atlanta-hawks-reportedly-sign-former-nba-1st-round-pick-windler

Easy come, easy go, he's a Hawk now. Why do people keeping picking this guy up? lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1356 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:27 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2024/01/07/lakers-sign-dylan-windler-g-league-day-record-33-rebound-game-knicks

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/news/breaking-atlanta-hawks-reportedly-sign-former-nba-1st-round-pick-windler

Easy come, easy go, he's a Hawk now. Why do people keeping picking this guy up? lol

Nice guy to help fill out the end of your bench?

Dylan even though he hasn't had a listed injury since last season, hasn't played more than 8 minutes in a game since the end of the 21-22 season.

So maybe he just hasn't been given a chance or maybe there's a reason nobody is bothering to give him a chance.

We could probably use him tonight ... geez
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1357 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:36 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-dylan-windler-being-waived-to-sign-harry-giles-iii-to-two-way-contract/

Nice guy to help fill out the end of your bench?

Dylan even though he hasn't had a listed injury since last season, hasn't played more than 8 minutes in a game since the end of the 21-22 season.

So maybe he just hasn't been given a chance or maybe there's a reason nobody is bothering to give him a chance.

We could probably use him tonight ... geez
They granted him an extra year of 2way eligibility this season, so i assume next season when teams can't just bring on a 27 (28) year old guy with no cap implications who can theoretically shoot, his NBA market will dry up.

So far this season between the Knicks, Lakers, and Hawks they've paid him a combined $659,454 against the cap.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1358 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:48 pm

Well, Jazz waived Otto Porter Jr but now he's not eligible for the playoffs, so that's a waste.

Edit: he announced his retirement.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1359 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2023/10/20/23925056/new-york-knicks-waive-nathan-knight-sign-two-former-cavs

Diakite and Brandon Goodwin to the Knicks. On top of Windler, they're really doubling down on the ex-Cavs.

I'll be surprised if any of those guys make the final roster for the Knicks.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275097/Mamadi-Diakite-Signs-With-Knicks-For-Remainder-Of-Season

Well, Diakite signed a rest of the season deal with the Knicks.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1360 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Jordi Fernandez is going to coach the Nets. He was likely on the Cavs short-list if they decided to go the assistant coach route again because he has connections with the organization and has even interviewed for the position previously.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers