ImageImageImage

Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#341 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:12 am

Not a starter this season but he made the ASG as a reserve.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#342 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#343 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavaliers-owner-dan-gilbert-on-donovan-mitchell-we-think-he-will-extend-his-contract/

Dan Gilbert is confident Mitchell will extend this summer.

I'm confident of that as well. It just makes sense in the majority of scenarios, since he can always just ask for a trade.

Now, there might be a way he could make more over all $$$ by making sure he's a free-agent around 30 when he might still command a full max deal. But that comes with risk ... risk that Dan Gilbert could make go away by suggesting we'll take care of him later in his career like the Lakers did for hobbled Kobe and are currently doing for old LeBron.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Post#344 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

And because it's Gilbert, he couldn't just be quietly confident about it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#345 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

jbk1234 wrote:And because it's Gilbert, he couldn't just be quietly confident about it.
I just wish i could remeber back to how confident Gilbert was about LeBron returning.

Then he ultimately left on national TV in a gym Mitchell was standing in, in his youth.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#346 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:And because it's Gilbert, he couldn't just be quietly confident about it.
I just wish i could remeber back to how confident Gilbert was about LeBron returning.

Then he ultimately left on national TV in a gym Mitchell was standing in, in his youth.

That debacle in 2010 contributed to players extending, taking the money, and then working out a trade where the team gets something of value back.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#347 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

That debacle in 2010 contributed to players extending, taking the money, and then working out a trade where the team gets something of value back.
We shall see, i hope he's right, would take some pressure off the core.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#348 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 pm

Mitchell seems less confident in an extension this summer. That tone reads more like essentially saying let's see if we can have postseason success first.Image
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#349 » by JonFromVA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:49 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Mitchell seems less confident in an extension this summer. That tone reads more like essentially saying let's see if we can have postseason success first.

I really didn't take anything away from his remarks besides him saying he'll deal with the extension talks when it's time to deal with them. It would be nice if he threw us a bone, but he probably realizes that if he did and circumstances changed he'd be attacked for it.

But this is still pretty simple ... he has a decision to make this Summer and if he declines the Cavs will have a year to figure something out.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#350 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Mitchell seems less confident in an extension this summer. That tone reads more like essentially saying let's see if we can have postseason success first.

I really didn't take anything away from his remarks besides him saying he'll deal with the extension talks when it's time to deal with them. It would be nice if he threw us a bone, but he probably realizes that if he did and circumstances changed he'd be attacked for it.

But this is still pretty simple ... he has a decision to make this Summer and if he declines the Cavs will have a year to figure something out.

You're right because Kyrie for sure said he was never leaving CLE then requested the trade. I can't recall if LBJ ever said for certain he wasn't leaving but i know most people were pretty confident (myself included) he wasn't leaving in the summer of 2010. I think in the summer of 2018 the writing was on the wall for him to leave again but i assume a few people hoped he might stay.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#351 » by JonFromVA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:19 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

You're right because Kyrie for sure said he was never leaving CLE then requested the trade. I can't recall if LBJ ever said for certain he wasn't leaving but i know most people were pretty confident (myself included) he wasn't leaving in the summer of 2010. I think in the summer of 2018 the writing was on the wall for him to leave again but i assume a few people hoped he might stay.

LeBron said a lot of stuff that fans latched on to mean he was staying, but I realized he was gone when it became clear Riley had cleared space for James and Bosh, the miserable way that season ended, combined with the Cavs inability to improve the team. Their big play was to S&T for Bosh, but he had no interest and their lack of a front-end or a backup plan left them with a pretty pathetic pitch.

I don't recall Kyrie saying anything one way or the other and in fact we needed to make a strong pitch to him just to get him to sign that deal as a RFA. But we told him we were going to build around him and we were going to bring in guys like Gordon Haywood to compliment him, but then LeBron happened and he was suddenly second fiddle. I'd say it was hard to determine if Kyrie was happy or not, he was never particularly co-operative with anybody and there some rumors about his Dad which made his eventual signing with the Nets unsurprising.

If Mitchell does stay, I expect him to use all the leverage he has on the way to that point. It would be cool but counter productive for him to just give that up by making an early commitment. If he wants to dictate our next coach, his teammates, or the color of the wall paper in the new practice facility; it's presumably all on the table for him. And if he goes, he's going to want to make sure it's to a better situation so first he'd need to figure out what that is going to be.

In the case of LeBron he left us no end of hints and rumors along the way. Things are pretty quiet about Mitchell unless you count how multiple media members insist he's biding his time and will leave. I just don't get why if that's the case he didn't ask the Cavs for a trade before the deadline.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#352 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:05 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

LeBron said a lot of stuff that fans latched on to mean he was staying, but I realized he was gone when it became clear Riley had cleared space for James and Bosh, the miserable way that season ended, combined with the Cavs inability to improve the team. Their big play was to S&T for Bosh, but he had no interest and their lack of a front-end or a backup plan left them with a pretty pathetic pitch.

I don't recall Kyrie saying anything one way or the other and in fact we needed to make a strong pitch to him just to get him to sign that deal as a RFA. But we told him we were going to build around him and we were going to bring in guys like Gordon Haywood to compliment him, but then LeBron happened and he was suddenly second fiddle. I'd say it was hard to determine if Kyrie was happy or not, he was never particularly co-operative with anybody and there some rumors about his Dad which made his eventual signing with the Nets unsurprising.

If Mitchell does stay, I expect him to use all the leverage he has on the way to that point. It would be cool but counter productive for him to just give that up by making an early commitment. If he wants to dictate our next coach, his teammates, or the color of the wall paper in the new practice facility; it's presumably all on the table for him. And if he goes, he's going to want to make sure it's to a better situation so first he'd need to figure out what that is going to be.

In the case of LeBron he left us no end of hints and rumors along the way. Things are pretty quiet about Mitchell unless you count how multiple media members insist he's biding his time and will leave. I just don't get why if that's the case he didn't ask the Cavs for a trade before the deadline.
Maybe Mitchell truly wants it to work and this playoff run could be the deciding factor for him.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#353 » by JonFromVA » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:36 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:You're right because Kyrie for sure said he was never leaving CLE then requested the trade. I can't recall if LBJ ever said for certain he wasn't leaving but i know most people were pretty confident (myself included) he wasn't leaving in the summer of 2010. I think in the summer of 2018 the writing was on the wall for him to leave again but i assume a few people hoped he might stay.

Maybe Mitchell truly wants it to work and this playoff run could be the deciding factor for him.

Sure, if he cares about winning like he says, he will want to see the other guys stepping up around him in big moments.

Something even cooler could come up if other teams target him, though, and some guys want that chance to be wooed. His agent will presumably help him weight his options realistically.

It's hard to get in a players head, but money gets it done in most cases and we can offer the most.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#354 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:45 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115146-donovan-mitchell-its-f--king-april-cavs-gotta-be-better-after-nuggets-loss

This is really the first time in his Cavs' tenure i can recall his tone shifting. I'm gonna take this as the writing on the wall.

"We can all point to [stuff]. It's April. It's [freaking] April. We've got to figure it out. Gotta be better".
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#355 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:04 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115146-donovan-mitchell-its-f--king-april-cavs-gotta-be-better-after-nuggets-loss

This is really the first time in his Cavs' tenure i can recall his tone shifting. I'm gonna take this as the writing on the wall.

"We can all point to [stuff]. It's April. It's [freaking] April. We've got to figure it out. Gotta be better".

He's just speaking the truth we all see.

The question is what does he think is going on and what if anything does he want done about it?

fwiw, I think some in the Cavs organization regret firing Mike Brown that first time based on the thought that doing so would make it more likely that James would return. Certainly they can decide to let him go for any number of reasons, but they may be hesitant to fire him just on the thought that Mitchell might extend or re-sign.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#356 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:22 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115146-donovan-mitchell-its-f--king-april-cavs-gotta-be-better-after-nuggets-loss

The question is what does he think is going on and what if anything does he want done about it?

fwiw, I think some in the Cavs organization regret firing Mike Brown that first time based on the thought that doing so would make it more likely that James would return. Certainly they can decide to let him go for any number of reasons, but they may be hesitant to fire him just on the thought that Mitchell might extend or re-sign.
I kind of took it as potetinally internally he is hearing excuses, most likely due to everyone being injured all season. But he is saying forget all that, the playoffs start in a couple few weeks, gotta be better.

He was apart of the embarrassing early exit last season and he is well aware of the early exit the season right before he joined, because he had one himself too.

I'm sure he knows 3 seasons in a row of early exits for all involved means something will have to change.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#357 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:22 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I kind of took it as potetinally internally he is hearing excuses, most likely due to everyone being injured all season. But he is saying forget all that, the playoffs start in a couple few weeks, gotta be better.

He was apart of the embarrassing early exit last season and he is well aware of the early exit the season right before he joined, because he had one himself too.

I'm sure he knows 3 seasons in a row of early exits for all involved means something will have to change.

Well, he was quoted early in the season when the team was struggling to not judge the team based on how they were playing then, but how they're playing in March/April, so, here we are. He's being consistent. It's time for everyone to step it up and fight through injuries and fatigue ... which is why he's trying to play when he clearly shouldn't be.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Post#358 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:17 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Well, he was quoted early in the season when the team was struggling to not judge the team based on how they were playing then, but how they're playing in March/April, so, here we are. He's being consistent. It's time for everyone to step it up and fight through injuries and fatigue ... which is why he's trying to play when he clearly shouldn't be.

Just to be clear here, are you saying Mitchell has been good his first two games back?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,659

Post#359 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:06 am

Mitchell's tone in the video is a lot more low-key than the headlines...

Read on Twitter
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#360 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:14 am

Idk if the video is much better, to be honest. His body language in that video just reads anxious to me. His tone of voice is either frustrated or disappointed.

I'm telling ya, i think he is not signing an extension unless the Cavs go on a deep playoff run.

A stinker for the 3rd post season in a row and that dude in the video is gonna start figuring out his own next steps.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers