ImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (2-2)

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Re: 2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm

ijspeelman wrote:Fell into the pre-sale trap and will be there during game 1

Speelman standing under the Ted Lasso BELIEVE sign pointing up. I'm here for it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 860

Post#22 » by ijspeelman » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Speelman standing under the Ted Lasso BELIEVE sign pointing up. I'm here for it.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Post#23 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Leave the Naz Reid towel at home though lol
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 860

Post#24 » by ijspeelman » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Leave the Naz Reid towel at home though lol

Will do lol. I've been using it as a mess towel and for camping so it is getting some niche use
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#25 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:00 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
What time do you think they will tip on Saturday?

One of 1pm, 3:30pm, or 6 pm. If I had to guess, 1 or 3:30 based on the match-up
You called it, 1pm.

cavs4872
Senior
And1: 243

Post#26 » by cavs4872 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 am

I like this series. Weird matchup. Magic are probably the weirdest and most expected team we could've gotten out of any team competing for a playoff spot. They honestly remind me of the 2021 Cavs with Markkanen at SF. Nice depth too.

No idea what to predict.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#27 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 am

cavs4872 wrote:I like this series. Weird matchup. Magic are probably the weirdest and most expected team we could've gotten out of any team competing for a playoff spot. They honestly remind me of the 2021 Cavs with Markkanen at SF. Nice depth too.

No idea what to predict.
In theory the Cavs should win this series but it will all come down to scheme, rotations, health, luck, and depending how the series goes matchups.

On paper, the Cavs have a combined 359 playoff games played vs the Magic only having a combined 91 playoff games played (Jingles with 50 and Harris with 28).
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 pm

In reality it's another 4v5 matchup with only a single game separating the teams in the standings because Mitchell and Garland have not been very good. We need them to be very good. We can't let go in thinking we've got this and let the Magic out work us.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#29 » by toooskies » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:In reality it's another 4v5 matchup with only a single game separating the teams in the standings because Mitchell and Garland have not been very good. We need them to be very good. We can't let go in thinking we've got this and let the Magic out work us.

Our health should be as good as it's been all year for the Magic series, as long as no one else gets hurt.

And everyone knows the focus and intensity we'll need for the playoff run after last year.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#30 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:In reality it's another 4v5 matchup with only a single game separating the teams in the standings because Mitchell and Garland have not been very good. We need them to be very good. We can't let go in thinking we've got this and let the Magic out work us.

Our health should be as good as it's been all year for the Magic series, as long as no one else gets hurt.

And everyone knows the focus and intensity we'll need for the playoff run after last year.

Unfortunately knee tendinitis doesn't just go away and it can be made much worse by trying to "play through the pain".

Do we think they know how to prepare themselves after a rest? Seems like this team is more likely to play well on the second night of a back to back then after an extended time off between games.

I also fully expect more injuries and/or aggravations of old injuries. The easiest projection for the future is to expect more of what's constantly happened in the past.

Unfortunately, knowing what they need to do and actually doing it are two different things. I think Jarrett has made some progress, but there isn't much to point to where we can say this team is any better prepared this season for the playoffs than last. I don't even expect our defense to get stops when they need it.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#31 » by toooskies » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Unfortunately knee tendinitis doesn't just go away and it can be made much worse by trying to "play through the pain".

Do we think they know how to prepare themselves after a rest? Seems like this team is more likely to play well on the second night of a back to back then after an extended time off between games.

I also fully expect more injuries and/or aggravations of old injuries. The easiest projection for the future is to expect more of what's constantly happened in the past.

Unfortunately, knowing what they need to do and actually doing it are two different things. I think Jarrett has made some progress, but there isn't much to point to where we can say this team is any better prepared this season for the playoffs than last. I don't even expect our defense to get stops when they need it.

At practice Mitchell said the knee was 100%. Not to say it won't flare up again (I had shoulder tendinitis last year and know that it's not a linear recovery), but he looked good enough at the end of the season to believe him.

In games after long rests (season opener, Paris game, game after Paris game, game after All-star) the Cavs are 3-1, with the loss being to Orlando without Mitchell.

Better prepared? Well, we've been through a lot this year and still ended up with more wins than the mostly-healthy Magic squad.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#32 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Our health should be as good as it's been all year for the Magic series, as long as no one else gets hurt.

At practice Mitchell said the knee was 100%. Not to say it won't flare up again (I had shoulder tendinitis last year and know that it's not a linear recovery), but he looked good enough at the end of the season to believe him.

In games after long rests (season opener, Paris game, game after Paris game, game after All-star) the Cavs are 3-1, with the loss being to Orlando without Mitchell.

Better prepared? Well, we've been through a lot this year and still ended up with more wins than the mostly-healthy Magic squad.

We'll see how Mitchell's knee feels after JBB plays him 46 minutes because he said he's 100%. We need him playing at an MVP-level, but I have no confidence in that. It's 4 years straight now that Don was hurt going in or got hurt in the playoffs.

And sure, there's a reason we tanked to face the Magic. We are expected to be able to beat them thanks to talent and experience, but we have not built up the track record to have any sort of expectations and a lot of our regular season wins came thanks to units we may not even see in the playoffs.

We might get lucky with injuries for a change and growth by facing progressively harder challenges can certainly happen, some players even step-up when you need them most.

But it's not just the injuries or the likelihood of injuries ... for starters, wake me up when Darius Garland doesn't roll the ball up the floor, followed by running 15 seconds off the clock before dribbling the ball off his knee at a critical point of the game. And if they play the right way and make the right choices in one game, will it continue in the next?

Who knows, but at least we'll get to see.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

After that Pacers game, I'm bullish on the Cavs. I'd love to get Wade back, but Suggs can only guard one of Mitchell and Garland and that should be the difference in the series. Also, Strus will run Frantz all over the floor. Banchero is giving up too much size to Mobley.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#34 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:14 pm

No Wade, TJ, or CPJ for tomorrow.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#35 » by JonFromVA » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:After that Pacers game, I'm bullish on the Cavs. I'd love to get Wade back, but Suggs can only guard one of Mitchell and Garland and that should be the difference in the series. Also, Strus will run Frantz all over the floor. Banchero is giving up too much size to Mobley.

Well, as always it depends who shows up, but our starters have looked fine against them. The Magic have killed us with their bench and it's no coincidence that Jonathan Isaac happened to play in the Magic's 2 wins against us and missed the 2 losses. If we don't solve that riddle, they just need to play him more and we've got a problem.

It also looks like they're backing down the minutes on their rook Anthony Black in favor of the vet Gary Harris, so, don't expect Garland is going to have much opportunity to "school" the rookie.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#36 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:After that Pacers game, I'm bullish on the Cavs. I'd love to get Wade back, but Suggs can only guard one of Mitchell and Garland and that should be the difference in the series. Also, Strus will run Frantz all over the floor. Banchero is giving up too much size to Mobley.

Well, as always it depends who shows up, but our starters have looked fine against them. The Magic have killed us with their bench and it's no coincidence that Jonathan Isaac happened to play in the Magic's 2 wins against us and missed the 2 losses. If we don't solve that riddle, they just need to play him more and we've got a problem.

It also looks like they're backing down the minutes on their rook Anthony Black in favor of the vet Gary Harris, so, don't expect Garland is going to have much opportunity to "school" the rookie.
That is a bit deceptive, in their first win we had no Mobley or LeVert and Allen fouled out.

In their 2nd win we had no Mitchell and to a lesser extent no TT.

They've only faced our starting 5 one time and we didn't have LeVert in that game.

The Cavs 8 man playoff rotation are available for tomorrow. If Wade coulda cracked that, we will never know. Strus, Mobley, and Allen did have 5 fouls each in that one, Niang with 4.

So, foul trouble may be the biggest storyline of this series, although reffing has pivoted since the All-Star break.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

That is a bit deceptive, in their first win we had no Mobley or LeVert and Allen fouled out.

They've only faced our starting 5 one time and we didn't have LeVert in that game.

The Cavs 8 man playoff rotation are available for tomorrow. If Wade coulda cracked that, we will never know. Strus, Mobley, and Allen did have 5 fouls each in that one, Niang with 4.

So, foul trouble may be the biggest storyline of this series, although reffing has pivoted since the All-Star break.

I have Wade in the 8 man rotation, but otherwise agree. In the loss where we didn't have Mitchell they also has random players like Mo Wagner converting 3 pointers late in the shot clock. It's the NBA. Stuff happens on any given night that's unlikely to be repeated.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#38 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I have Wade in the 8 man rotation, but otherwise agree. In the loss where we didn't have Mitchell they also has random players like Mo Wagner converting 3 pointers late in the shot clock. It's the NBA. Stuff happens on any given night that's unlikely to be repeated.
You specifically or you think jb does?

Either way who are you kicking out of the rotation? I assume you say Niang but from jb's perspective he's played in 100% of the games this season, so that's not realistic.

I think if Niang becomes a liability he may play that Wade/Rubio/Stevens role from the Knicks series.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:That is a bit deceptive, in their first win we had no Mobley or LeVert and Allen fouled out.

Either way who are you kicking out of the rotation? I assume you say Niang but from jb's perspective he's played in 100% of the games this season, so that's not realistic.

I think if Niang becomes a liability he may play that Wade/Rubio/Stevens role from the Knicks series.

I think one of Niang or Merrill doesn't get to see the floor because you can't play both of them without having three bad defenders on the floor and imploding your defense. I suppose you could slow the game down and launch 3s late in the shot clock so that players get rest, but pushing pace with bad defensive units, against teams who make an effort to get back, is a good way to miss a couple shots and find yourself on the wrong side of a 12-2 run in a couple of minutes.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#40 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think one of Niang or Merrill doesn't get to see the floor because you can't play both of them without having three bad defenders on the floor and imploding your defense. I suppose you could slow the game down and launch 3s late in the shot clock so that players get rest, but pushing pace with bad defensive units, against teams who make an effort to get back, is a good way to miss a couple shots and find yourself on the wrong side of a 12-2 run in a couple of minutes.
For sure but we have the starting 5 then our 6th man LeVert plus Okoro. I don't see Wade as being the 8th guy there. It would be Niang and his minutes probably eventually even get cut down.

I see Merrill as playing between 0 and 5 mpg this series and with his one way style of play, he will have a Ricky Rubio style impact.

With how our bigs have been in foul trouble most games against the Magic this season, I'll be intrigued to see if jb gives any minutes to TT or Morris, situationally.

We gotta keep in mind, game 1 last year jb only gave 7 guys a real shot to get in a rhythm and be in the rotation, I wouldn't expect that to change too terribly much. If Niang goes over 14 minutes today, I'd be shocked.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers