ImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (3-2)

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Re: 2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (2-0) 

Post#81 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

Is it possible that JBB's total focus on defense has gone beyond Mike Brown level?

Every sound bite, every presser, it's all he talks about.

Merrill seems to be out of the rotation and Niang may get little more than a heat check before he's pulled.

It would be nice if Bickerstaff worried just a little bit about how this team score might more than 100 pts in a game ...
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,137

Post#82 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Allen with another fantastic game.

Mitchell had a great 1st quarter and a terrible 2nd half, his shooting splits are ugly.

Cavs really need to take better care of the ball, too many turnovers again.

But aye, a win is a win.

I'm assuming his knee is getting progressively worse as he plays on it, which is bad news for us in the long run; but it makes sense why he was aggressive early and looking for his shot. Fortunately Darius eventually found his shot, but he's struggled as well. This isn't going to get it done .vs. a team that can score 100 pts.
Yeahhhhhhh it is gonna get brutal against the Celtics, team is full of 2 way players. Their starting 5 scares the crap outta me.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,240

Post#83 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 am

JonFromVA wrote:Is it possible that JBB's total focus on defense has gone beyond Mike Brown level?

Merrill seems to be out of the rotation and Niang may get little more than a heat check before he's pulled.

It would be nice if Bickerstaff worried just a little bit about how this team score might more than 100 pts in a game ...

In fairness, Niang is 0-8 from 3 and 1-11 overall in the series which isn't helping the team get past 100.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#84 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:32 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Is it possible that JBB's total focus on defense has gone beyond Mike Brown level?

In fairness, Niang is 0-8 from 3 and 1-11 overall in the series which isn't helping the team get past 100.

Guys like Niang and Merrill are paid to come in cold and start burying 3's, but as we've seen over the years it's a pretty high bar even for established shooters when the playoffs come around. There are reasons for it, but the solution has always been helping players find the range and get in to a rhythm; otherwise what are you doing? Sitting on the bench and crossing your fingers?

Obviously a playoff level defensive team like the Magic has been preparing to take away the things they've seen us do on tape, which means one of two things. Either we'd better be better at running those plays than they are at stopping them, or we'd better add some new wrinkles they haven't seen. The later would likely require spending some of that practice time on offense.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,671

Post#85 » by toooskies » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:23 pm

JBB gets asked a lot about defense in a series that's a battle between two defensive teams. Crazy how he's talking about the macro perspectives that the beat reporters see.

But if you go look at the Steve Jones twitter feed or watch the Sam Vecenie Game Theory podcast (if not notice with your own eyes), the Cavs are running a lot of interesting stuff on offense. The outside shots just aren't falling.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#86 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pm

toooskies wrote:

JBB gets asked a lot about defense in a series that's a battle between two defensive teams. Crazy how he's talking about the macro perspectives that the beat reporters see.

But if you go look at the Steve Jones twitter feed or watch the Sam Vecenie Game Theory podcast (if not notice with your own eyes), the Cavs are running a lot of interesting stuff on offense. The outside shots just aren't falling.

It's also all JBB talks about when he's mic'd up on the sidelines, but there are other coaches on the team scouting the Magic and helping prepare the game plan. It's more a matter of time, energy, and focus and the head coach is going to dictate the majority of that.

Thanks for the twitter/podcast suggestions, though.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Guys like Niang and Merrill are paid to come in cold and start burying 3's, but as we've seen over the years it's a pretty high bar even for established shooters when the playoffs come around. There are reasons for it, but the solution has always been helping players find the range and get in to a rhythm; otherwise what are you doing? Sitting on the bench and crossing your fingers?

Obviously a playoff level defensive team like the Magic has been preparing to take away the things they've seen us do on tape, which means one of two things. Either we'd better be better at running those plays than they are at stopping them, or we'd better add some new wrinkles they haven't seen. The later would likely require spending some of that practice time on offense.

Most of Niang's shots have been open, if not wide open, and when he's not hitting them, he's not a net positive player. The reason he's on the Cavs is the Sixers viewed him as a guy who couldn't be relied on in the playoffs. He got very little postseason run for them and as a result and they weren't prepared to pay him.

Merrill wasn't even healthy enough to play in game 1, but if we're leading, and the Magic are struggling to get anything going offensively, I can't fault JBB for concluding it's not worth the risk that a guy like Cole Anthony gets going with Merrill on the floor.

Hopefully, the Cavs have at least a two series over which these guys get multiple opportunities to show they can provide positive value in the playoffs, but I'm aware of no successful organization that leaves bench guys on the floor in the playoffs when it's not working out. Those guys get the hook.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#88 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Most of Niang's shots have been open, if not wide open, and when he's not hitting them, he's not a net positive player. The reason he's on the Cavs is the Sixers viewed him as a guy who couldn't be relied on in the playoffs. He got very little postseason run for them and as a result and they weren't prepared to pay him.

Merrill wasn't even healthy enough to play in game 1, but if we're leading, and the Magic are struggling to get anything going offensively, I can't fault JBB for concluding it's not worth the risk that a guy like Cole Anthony gets going with Merrill on the floor.

Hopefully, the Cavs have at least a two series over which these guys get multiple opportunities to show they can provide positive value in the playoffs, but I'm aware of no successful organization that leaves bench guys on the floor in the playoffs when it's not working out. Those guys get the hook.

My point was there's more to getting a shooter going than generating an open look.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

My point was there's more to getting a shooter going than generating an open look.

I think we just disagree that the question the coaching staff should be asking itself is how do we get George friggin Niang going when he comes in during a playoff game. Are you suggesting we run specific plays for him? If so, how are those plays going to work better than guys helping off of him and leaving him with open looks? He's on the floor to space the floor. He needs to knock down open shots.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#90 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:15 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think we just disagree that the question the coaching staff should be asking itself is how do we get George friggin Niang going when he comes in during a playoff game. Are you suggesting we run specific plays for him? If so, how are those plays going to work better than guys helping off of him and leaving him with open looks? He's on the floor to space the floor. He needs to knock down open shots.

Can you not use your imagination?

What if he's nervous? How do you get a player in the flow of the game and get him over the nerves.

What if he's just lost the range because he's coming in cold? How do you help a player find his rhythm?

This isn't my life, my career, it's theirs. They're supposed to recognize the problems and find the answers.

Traditionally you start a player out with easier stuff. Let him touch the ball. Let him get a layup, knock down a free throw, make a short jumper. Set him up in his favorite spot multiple times. Extra shooting before and/or after games seems to help some players.

There are few players who can come in to a game cold and just start burying 3's from different spots on the floor.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,671

Post#91 » by toooskies » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#92 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:50 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Can you not use your imagination?

What if he's nervous? How do you get a player in the flow of the game and get him over the nerves.

What if he's just lost the range because he's coming in cold? How do you help a player find his rhythm?

This isn't my life, my career, it's theirs. They're supposed to recognize the problems and find the answers.

Traditionally you start a player out with easier stuff. Let him touch the ball. Let him get a layup, knock down a free throw, make a short jumper. Set him up in his favorite spot multiple times. Extra shooting before and/or after games seems to help some players.

There are few players who can come in to a game cold and just start burying 3's from different spots on the floor.
jb's solution is to cut their minutes and if that doesn't work, just remove em from the rotation lol
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by jbk1234 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:51 am

toooskies wrote:
Read on Twitter

He can sit out this series, but if he's out for the next one, I'm trading him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 870

Post#94 » by ijspeelman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#95 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 pm

I think the Cavs are about to take the Magic's best punch in this one.

Can't wait to get off work and watch it!
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#96 » by ijspeelman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 pm

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#97 » by ijspeelman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:I think the Cavs are about to take the Magic's best punch in this one.

Can't wait to get off work and watch it!

Neither team has shot particularly well, but w the Magic headed home, you'd think they'd shoot better

We will see
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#98 » by ijspeelman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 pm

Offensive rebounds are rearing their ugly head. Keeping Magic in the game
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#99 » by ijspeelman » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 am

Mitchell is visibly frustrated with himself.

Really need to come back and guard the threes while mitigating the offensive boards (o-boards got better as the half went on)
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#100 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 am

Terrible start to game 3. As i said, this is the Magic's best punch.

Mitchell will need to shoot 20 more times in the 2nd half and try to get 50+ if the Cavs are gonna have a shot.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers