General Manager
And1: 5,453

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1761 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 11:07 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Rich Paul can ask. We can say no.
I'd break that duo up anyway, they're both lead guards, imo.

The first order of business is to get Mitchell extended. I'd listen on Garland, but I would not make a trade just to make a trade. If I didn't like the offers, Garland wouldn't be going anywhere.
I personally do not think Mitchell will extend.

The one thing that can't happen that I see on the GB is both guys being traded this summer. Ya gotta enter next season with one of them as your starting PG.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#1762 » by toooskies » Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I'd break that duo up anyway, they're both lead guards, imo.

The first order of business is to get Mitchell extended. I'd listen on Garland, but I would not make a trade just to make a trade. If I didn't like the offers, Garland wouldn't be going anywhere.

The one thing that can't happen that I see on the GB is both guys being traded this summer. Ya gotta enter next season with one of them as your starting PG.

What do you think Mitchell's mindset is? That he will win more with always-injured Jimmy Butler and the Heat? That the Nets will somehow put together a competitive roster? That he wants to go through another young team's reconstruction in Houston? That the Lakers will make anything close to other offers? That he'll have a good destination in free agency?

I'm serious-- I don't see where the grass is greener from the teams that think he'd be a long-term player.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#1763 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 16, 2024 2:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Sheesh, idk if it has even been an hour since the season ended and Shams already reporting Rich Paul will ask for Garland to be traded if Mitchell extends.

Rich Paul can ask. We can say no.

I doubt we say, no, but we can't give him away when his value is so low after what was effectively a lost season.

That being said, anyone can and should be traded if it actually improves the team - but that's the tricky part.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1764 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 2:33 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

What do you think Mitchell's mindset is? That he will win more with always-injured Jimmy Butler and the Heat? That the Nets will somehow put together a competitive roster? That he wants to go through another young team's reconstruction in Houston? That the Lakers will make anything close to other offers? That he'll have a good destination in free agency?

I'm serious-- I don't see where the grass is greener from the teams that think he'd be a long-term player.
I think he is very okay with playing out the final year on his contract with the Cavs. But that is not a good avenue for the Cavs. Not saying Koby won't go that route just wouldn't be how i personally would approach it.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1765 » by toooskies » Thu May 16, 2024 2:58 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I personally do not think Mitchell will extend.

I think he is very okay with playing out the final year on his contract with the Cavs. But that is not a good avenue for the Cavs. Not saying Koby won't go that route just wouldn't be how i personally would approach it.

It's not the worst. None of the rumored destination cities have a clear path to both max money and a good team in 2025. In the meantime, the Cavs have the unique opportunity to get him to his 35% max faster than anyone.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,715

Post#1766 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:07 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:What do you think Mitchell's mindset is? That he will win more with always-injured Jimmy Butler and the Heat? That the Nets will somehow put together a competitive roster? That he wants to go through another young team's reconstruction in Houston? That the Lakers will make anything close to other offers? That he'll have a good destination in free agency?

It's not the worst. None of the rumored destination cities have a clear path to both max money and a good team in 2025. In the meantime, the Cavs have the unique opportunity to get him to his 35% max faster than anyone.

Guys who sit out playoff games because they're concerned a calf injury could turn into a torn Achilles don't play out the year. He's extending here, or he's asking for a trade somewhere he will extend.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1767 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 3:17 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:What do you think Mitchell's mindset is? That he will win more with always-injured Jimmy Butler and the Heat? That the Nets will somehow put together a competitive roster? That he wants to go through another young team's reconstruction in Houston? That the Lakers will make anything close to other offers? That he'll have a good destination in free agency?

It's not the worst, you're right. It is just risky. We'll see what happens, it will be an entertaining off season rumor wise at least.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1768 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:24 pm

Altman is going to have to be very, very patient this summer when it comes to moving guys.

Windhorst is making it sound like moving Allen is a priority, and I have no idea why that would be step 1. Even if you're not happy with how he handled his injury, you don't yet know if Mitchell is extending.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1769 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 10:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Altman is going to have to be very, very patient this summer when it comes to moving guys.

Windhorst is making it sound like moving Allen is a priority, and I have no idea why that would be step 1. Even if you're not happy with how he handled his injury, you don't yet know if Mitchell is extending.
You beat me to it jbk, just saw that.

Windy said over the next month, they're trying to trade Allen. I guess from now until draft night(s).

But if Mitchell doesn't extend, so then you trade him. If he does, Garland will ask out, hopefully not threaten surgery lol

Allen clearly doesn't like jb, so if they're holding onto jb, that move being the first domino, makes sense.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1770 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:47 am

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1771 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 18, 2024 5:29 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
I saw that too, bout to be a spicy summer.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,892

Post#1772 » by mcfly1204 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:28 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Altman is going to have to be very, very patient this summer when it comes to moving guys.

It makes perfect sense to me honestly. Allen is one of our most valuable and expendable pieces, why wouldn't we try to maximize his value in an effort to either retain Mitchell, or retool around Garland? I love Jarrett, but the Playoffs just showed us that Mobley's value can likely be maximized by moving him over to the 5. If you can pick up an upgrade at the 3, or find a stretch PF, why wouldn't you?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1773 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:50 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:

It makes perfect sense to me honestly. Allen is one of our most valuable and expendable pieces, why wouldn't we try to maximize his value in an effort to either retain Mitchell, or retool around Garland? I love Jarrett, but the Playoffs just showed us that Mobley's value can likely be maximized by moving him over to the 5. If you can pick up an upgrade at the 3, or find a stretch PF, why wouldn't you?

We don't know whether JBB will be back. We don't know whether Mitchell or Garland will be back. A potential suitor for Allen is playing a Game 7. Allen is going to be the best center on the market. Let the market develop.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1774 » by toooskies » Sun May 19, 2024 10:55 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:

My impression was not at all that Mobley is best as a 5.

My impression was that Mobley is simply better against a team playing smaller guys or big stiffs on him like Boston did.

Mobley and Mitchell had the worst chemistry of the core four and I don't know why we'd choose that pair to move forward with.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1775 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:24 pm

toooskies wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

My impression was that Mobley is simply better against a team playing smaller guys or big stiffs on him like Boston did.

Mobley and Mitchell had the worst chemistry of the core four and I don't know why we'd choose that pair to move forward with.

We did best Orlando in Games 5 & 7 without Allen, but I can't argue about the danger of overreacting to Mobley having good games against Horford, especially with Horford having a really good Game 7.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1776 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 20, 2024 2:03 am

toooskies wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

I mean, the future of not only this team but the NBA is Mobley at 5.

Allen is not the future of this team. 2 or 3 guys in the front court who can't/won't shoot is not where the league is headed.

Just look at the most efficient playoff game in NBA history (happened earlier today). The line-up is made up of guys who can and will shoot the rock... And make it.Image
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1777 » by toooskies » Mon May 20, 2024 2:52 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:It makes perfect sense to me honestly. Allen is one of our most valuable and expendable pieces, why wouldn't we try to maximize his value in an effort to either retain Mitchell, or retool around Garland? I love Jarrett, but the Playoffs just showed us that Mobley's value can likely be maximized by moving him over to the 5. If you can pick up an upgrade at the 3, or find a stretch PF, why wouldn't you?

Allen is not the future of this team. 2 or 3 guys in the front court who can't/won't shoot is not where the league is headed.

Just look at the most efficient playoff game in NBA history (happened earlier today). The line-up is made up of guys who can and will shoot the rock... And make it.Image

The future may not be a parade to higher efficiency, and if so, why would you not prefer the team leader in TS% to come back? The Wolves just won their series by holding the defending champs to 90 points. Indiana is just healthier than New York.

Allen is extendable to just one contract year shorter than Mobley. And at a cheaper number, and not at a guaranteed lower level of performance.

But I can guarantee Mobley would get much, much more in return. Mobley has more potential. But I think he's unlikely to realize all of it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1778 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:10 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:My impression was not at all that Mobley is best as a 5.

The future may not be a parade to higher efficiency, and if so, why would you not prefer the team leader in TS% to come back? The Wolves just won their series by holding the defending champs to 90 points. Indiana is just healthier than New York.

Allen is extendable to just one contract year shorter than Mobley. And at a cheaper number, and not at a guaranteed lower level of performance.

But I can guarantee Mobley would get much, much more in return. Mobley has more potential. But I think he's unlikely to realize all of it.

I'm still the guy who thinks that we shouldn't trade either of them, and if Allen was healthy for that Celtics series, we'd be headed to the ECF to play, and likely beat, the Pacers.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1779 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 20, 2024 3:12 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:My impression was not at all that Mobley is best as a 5.

Because the guy doesn't shoot outside of 3 feet... Spacing has been an issue since Jafro got here, time to modernize the offense.

KAT also attemps 5 threes per game and converts at a 40% clip, you're making my point for me.

Allen is the guy who was refusing to play and who dislikes the head coach that our drunk GM refuses to fire.

I'm picking the 22 year old, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it. The guy will at least shoot a 3 if he's wide open.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1780 » by toooskies » Mon May 20, 2024 4:22 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I mean, the future of not only this team but the NBA is Mobley at 5.

Because the guy doesn't shoot outside of 3 feet... Spacing has been an issue since Jafro got here, time to modernize the offense.

KAT also attemps 5 threes per game and converts at a 40% clip, you're making my point for me.

Allen is the guy who was refusing to play and who dislikes the head coach that our drunk GM refuses to fire.

I'm picking the 22 year old, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it. The guy will at least shoot a 3 if he's wide open.

Given that Allen played through an initial rib injury before Wagner "pierced" his rib, I'm going to assume Allen was both a) in a lot of pain and b) at continued risk of further injury.

Allen consistently gets positioning within three feet of the basket with opportunities to score. You aren't gifted those. The other team doesn't just let you have them.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers