Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,501

Re: 2023-24 Off-Season 

Post#121 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 23, 2023 3:04 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Naz Reid should at least have Osman-like gravity. Somewhat streaky, will definitely shoot it when left open.

I'm personally fine with the wing spot, particularly if we re-sign LeVert. I'm fine with either him or Okoro as the starting 3, and the other being the backup 2 while Osman is the backup 3. I'm less confident in Rubio being the backup point guard.

I think JBB has to coach Okoro like he trusts him even if he misses a few shots to start.

I have very little confidence in Stevens and Wade as the backup 4s and there simply isn't a backup 5 on the roster. So I want a significant upgrade at one if not both backup spots. If only so that we have the flexibility to consider trading a big for a starting wing, or cutting the minutes of a big who's struggling.

Oof, I'm on the exact opposite end.

I'm thinking Meyers Leonard/Thomas Bryant types for the vet min to back-up Allen. Then maybe a Lyles for the BAE or Mike Muscala for the TPE to back-up Mobley.

There's not a guy on this roster currently that is a SF. LeVert and Okoro aren't big enough and as the Knicks series showed, neither guy has the "shooting gravity" to start next to Allen and Mobley.

I'm of the belief that the full MLE needs to be spent on a real size and shooting ability for a SF. Then depending how the big situation shakes out potentially using the BAE on another serviceable wing of size/shooting to cut the minutes when one of Garland or Mitchell are struggling.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2023/lineups/#lineups_5-man__p

Here's the thing about our starting lineup: with either Okoro or LeVert at the 3, we won those minutes.

It's the bench groups (or with Cedi at the 3 with the core four, which we closed with once or twice) where we lost the game. Honestly, we lost the Cedi minutes badly, but because he looked good in game 1 we kept going to him.

The combination of shooting gravity and defense that you want to upgrade either Okoro or LeVert, though, simply isn't available for the MLE. You're squinting at Jalen McDaniels hoping he's that guy, but he's not. He's an incrementally better Isaac Okoro, and Okoro might close that increment this offseason. Especially when JBB wants our SF to guard the other team's PG, where Okoro can do that and McDaniels probably can't.

You may, however, find a big who's good enough to start for just the MLE. Which opens up your ability to trade one of Allen or Mobley to find a better solution on the wing, if you also get some other playable guys in free agency as deeper bigs. Or you just be happy with a good big rotation, one that could potentially survive an injury for a few games.

Reid at least doesn't have to live in the paint, which should be better for both our bigs as well as the guards who want to drive. He's not '21-22 Kevin Love, but he's an alright shooter.

The box-score stats are promising with Reid, but the +/- numbers are not what I'd hope to see from a floor-spacing big.

Some of negative comments I've seen about him which may or may not help to explain why:

- not very good at scoring in the paint
- not a rim defender
- low defensive awareness
- doesn't move his feet well
- gets beat off the dribble
- probably best defending PF's

If JBB thought he could coach him up in some of those areas, he could potentially become very valuable; otherwise is he just a bigger Cedi who occasionally dazzles but does not consistently contribute to winning?

Jalen McDaniels looks good defending guards from what I've seen and minimally has the length to recover and contest - which is something many have felt Isaac has been lacking. I'll also remind again that Isaac's and Caris's future with the team is still to be determined and there are decisions still to be made there. Alas, McDaniels does have a character strike that might scare Altman away - albeit it was back when he was in high-school.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,471

Post#122 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 23, 2023 4:25 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Naz Reid should at least have Osman-like gravity. Somewhat streaky, will definitely shoot it when left open.

I'm personally fine with the wing spot, particularly if we re-sign LeVert. I'm fine with either him or Okoro as the starting 3, and the other being the backup 2 while Osman is the backup 3. I'm less confident in Rubio being the backup point guard.

I think JBB has to coach Okoro like he trusts him even if he misses a few shots to start.

I have very little confidence in Stevens and Wade as the backup 4s and there simply isn't a backup 5 on the roster. So I want a significant upgrade at one if not both backup spots. If only so that we have the flexibility to consider trading a big for a starting wing, or cutting the minutes of a big who's struggling.

Oof, I'm on the exact opposite end.

I'm thinking Meyers Leonard/Thomas Bryant types for the vet min to back-up Allen. Then maybe a Lyles for the BAE or Mike Muscala for the TPE to back-up Mobley.

There's not a guy on this roster currently that is a SF. LeVert and Okoro aren't big enough and as the Knicks series showed, neither guy has the "shooting gravity" to start next to Allen and Mobley.

I'm of the belief that the full MLE needs to be spent on a real size and shooting ability for a SF. Then depending how the big situation shakes out potentially using the BAE on another serviceable wing of size/shooting to cut the minutes when one of Garland or Mitchell are struggling.

Here's the thing about our starting lineup: with either Okoro or LeVert at the 3, we won those minutes.

It's the bench groups (or with Cedi at the 3 with the core four, which we closed with once or twice) where we lost the game. Honestly, we lost the Cedi minutes badly, but because he looked good in game 1 we kept going to him.

The combination of shooting gravity and defense that you want to upgrade either Okoro or LeVert, though, simply isn't available for the MLE. You're squinting at Jalen McDaniels hoping he's that guy, but he's not. He's an incrementally better Isaac Okoro, and Okoro might close that increment this offseason. Especially when JBB wants our SF to guard the other team's PG, where Okoro can do that and McDaniels probably can't.

You may, however, find a big who's good enough to start for just the MLE. Which opens up your ability to trade one of Allen or Mobley to find a better solution on the wing, if you also get some other playable guys in free agency as deeper bigs. Or you just be happy with a good big rotation, one that could potentially survive an injury for a few games.

Reid at least doesn't have to live in the paint, which should be better for both our bigs as well as the guards who want to drive. He's not '21-22 Kevin Love, but he's an alright shooter.

Well, like I've said, LeVert is an UFA, he's free to do what he wants. Cavs shouldn't overpay him to retain him. Okoro is in the final year of his deal.

I'm not on the McDaniels or bust train, I'd just rather spend the MLE money on him or any SF than a big who will see maybe 15 minutes a night.

Just trade Allen right now if that's the plan, don't waste the only assets we have to have 4 starting level bigs and then still play Mobley and Allen 38 MPG. While having no starting or back-up SF options on the roster, being forced to play a SG or a PF there.

I'm saying address the gaping hole at SF with the best asset then figure out the back-up big situation with the BAE, TPE, vet min, and #49... Those bigs are hardly gonna play anyway.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#123 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 23, 2023 5:48 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Oof, I'm on the exact opposite end.

Well, like I've said, LeVert is an UFA, he's free to do what he wants. Cavs shouldn't overpay him to retain him. Okoro is in the final year of his deal.

I'm not on the McDaniels or bust train, I'd just rather spend the MLE money on him or any SF than a big who will see maybe 15 minutes a night.

Just trade Allen right now if that's the plan, don't waste the only assets we have to have 4 starting level bigs and then still play Mobley and Allen 38 MPG. While having no starting or back-up SF options on the roster, being forced to play a SG or a PF there.

I'm saying address the gaping hole at SF with the best asset then figure out the back-up big situation with the BAE, TPE, vet min, and #49... Those bigs are hardly gonna play anyway.

We have guys who can give us minutes at pretty much every position, but the tricky thing is trying to guess who JBB will play when push comes to shove. Would he actually prefer Reid to Wade/Stevens/IMobley/Diakite? McDaniels to LeVert/Okoro/Osman/Green/Wade? It's possible, but no sure thing.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#124 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 23, 2023 6:32 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2023/lineups/#lineups_5-man__p

We have guys who can give us minutes at pretty much every position, but the tricky thing is trying to guess who JBB will play when push comes to shove. Would he actually prefer Reid to Wade/Stevens/IMobley/Diakite? McDaniels to LeVert/Okoro/Osman/Green/Wade? It's possible, but no sure thing.
That's why I've said from the start, him and Koby should be in lock step this summer on what guys are being brought in via the MLE, BAE, TPE, and pick 49.

If JB won't play them, it is irrelevant who is acquired this summer.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#125 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 25, 2023 12:37 am

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2023/05/what-about-lebron-james-finishing-his-career-with-cavs-hey-chris.html?outputType=amp

How are we feeling about Fedor's bargin bin shooting options?

"Malik Beasley and Seth Curry are logical targets. Yuta Watanabe and Terrence Ross both fit the theoretical profile. Maybe even 34-year-old swingman Justin Holiday".
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 890

Post#126 » by ijspeelman » Thu May 25, 2023 12:52 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2023/05/what-about-lebron-james-finishing-his-career-with-cavs-hey-chris.html?outputType=amp

"Malik Beasley and Seth Curry are logical targets. Yuta Watanabe and Terrence Ross both fit the theoretical profile. Maybe even 34-year-old swingman Justin Holiday".

Malik Beasley, Seth Curry, and Justin Holiday are all the guys in the mold of what we want. Guys who can take and make movement threes. Terrance Ross has too much volume for his efficiency imo (but we can take what we get). Yuta, who I like, is more in the mold of the guys who can make corner threes and corner threes alone. That is definitely worth taking a look at because we still need that, but it won't solve all of our spacing issues.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#127 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 25, 2023 2:37 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2023/05/what-about-lebron-james-finishing-his-career-with-cavs-hey-chris.html?outputType=amp

Malik Beasley, Seth Curry, and Justin Holiday are all the guys in the mold of what we want. Guys who can take and make movement threes. Terrance Ross has too much volume for his efficiency imo (but we can take what we get). Yuta, who I like, is more in the mold of the guys who can make corner threes and corner threes alone. That is definitely worth taking a look at because we still need that, but it won't solve all of our spacing issues.

I just have to point out the main reason any of these guys might be available is because they either proved unplayable or crapped the bed in the playoffs. Holiday is an exception in that he was awful in the regular season and didn't sniff the playoffs.

Beasley brings a lot of baggage and Altman will likely not consider.

Maybe Yuta if we see Dean playing at SF, otherwise we can just cross our fingers and hope to get more from Danny Green.

I guess Fedor did a nice job here listing guys who should be available ... just don't expect any to move the needle.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#128 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 25, 2023 5:05 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I just have to point out the main reason any of these guys might be available is because they either proved unplayable or crapped the bed in the playoffs. Holiday is an exception in that he was awful in the regular season and didn't sniff the playoffs.

Beasley brings a lot of baggage and Altman will likely not consider.

Maybe Yuta if we see Dean playing at SF, otherwise we can just cross our fingers and hope to get more from Danny Green.

I guess Fedor did a nice job here listing guys who should be available ... just don't expect any to move the needle.
If the Cavs use their MLE on a big, these are probably the caliber of names we can expect the Cavs to look at on the wing, especially if the BAE also goes to a big, like some here have suggested.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#129 » by KuruptedCav » Fri May 26, 2023 5:22 am

I like Seth the player, I don’t like Seth the Cavalier. He lacks size and length and the backcourt is crowded.

Malik Beasley is a black hole shooter. While he has gravity to pull defenses, but he has no ability to punish the closeout by passing.

Watanabe has size/length and can hit the corner three. Limited production and track record, but fills a need.

If Terrance Ross is willing to play the role, he fits well. I don’t mind his relative inefficiency on offense much because it does come with some gravity to it. If it’s still Ross the Boss, hard pass on his Dino arms.

Aaron Holiday, I hope Altman loses his agent’s number. I feel like JBB would play him all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#130 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 26, 2023 3:47 pm

Supposedly the Josh Hart negotiations have opened up at $18M (or way above the MLE). Something to watch as it may influence Isaac's or Caris's agent's thinking. Isaac is repped by "Young Money Sports" and he might just be their premiere NBA client from what I can see looking at the lists on RealGM, so, I wonder if they'll try to make a statement with this negotiation?

Caris is already making $18M in the last year of his deal and would presumably feel like he should be earning more. For anyone hoping the Cavs would get in front of contract situations, it's interesting that we've chosen to let the market thrash this out for us. Of course it's easier to do that when you're talking about players like LeVert, Okoro, and even Sexton rather than Mitchell - but still something to note. Of course we may have tried to trade those players and simply found nothing worth the bother. Reportedly LeVert was pretty anxious about the trade deadline this year.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#131 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 26, 2023 4:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Supposedly the Josh Hart negotiations have opened up at $18M (or way above the MLE). Something to watch as it may influence Isaac's or Caris's agent's thinking. Isaac is repped by "Young Money Sports" and he might just be their premiere NBA client from what I can see looking at the lists on RealGM, so, I wonder if they'll try to make a statement with this negotiation?

Caris is already making $18M in the last year of his deal and would presumably feel like he should be earning more. For anyone hoping the Cavs would get in front of contract situations, it's interesting that we've chosen to let the market thrash this out for us. Of course it's easier to do that when you're talking about players like LeVert, Okoro, and even Sexton rather than Mitchell - but still something to note. Of course we may have tried to trade those players and simply found nothing worth the bother. Reportedly LeVert was pretty anxious about the trade deadline this year.
If LeVert walks, hopefully his new team is willing to do a S&T, getting no return on investment again would be tough. But i think I'd prefer losing him for nothing than overpaying him.

As far as Okoro, for better or worse, I'd just treat him like Sexton. Make him establish his market by going out and getting an offer sheet from another team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,783

Post#132 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:45 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Supposedly the Josh Hart negotiations have opened up at $18M (or way above the MLE). Something to watch as it may influence Isaac's or Caris's agent's thinking. Isaac is repped by "Young Money Sports" and he might just be their premiere NBA client from what I can see looking at the lists on RealGM, so, I wonder if they'll try to make a statement with this negotiation?

There's not $18M per out there for Josh Hart (unless the Knicks foolishly give it to him), there's not $18M per out there for LeVert (unless the Cavs foolishly give it to him), and if the Cavs offer Okoro any type of extension, he should take it. Again, this isn't summer camp. None of these players are giving back money if the contract they want makes them untradeable. None of them are irreplaceable. They all have serious holes in their games. If that upsets them, so be it. At some point, it's the agent's job to explain market realities.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#133 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 26, 2023 7:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

There's not $18M per out there for Josh Hart (unless the Knicks foolishly give it to him), there's not $18M per out there for LeVert (unless the Cavs foolishly give it to him), and if the Cavs offer Okoro any type of extension, he should take it. Again, this isn't summer camp. None of these players are giving back money if the contract they want makes them untradeable. None of them are irreplaceable. They all have serious holes in their games. If that upsets them, so be it. At some point, it's the agent's job to explain market realities.

I've just gotta point out that in the end Collin Sexton got the $18M/yr some of us thought was about what he deserved while apparently the Cavs had lowered their offers to just above the MLE (to keep team's with just the MLE out of the picture).

You give up assets, you invest time in to a player, you want to come out of it with something even if it means having to pay more than what the team's with cap space are willing to spend. Hart is a UFA too, so there's no room for a miscalculation. And the Knicks being the Knicks probably have the extra complication of trying to align the next time they'll have money to spend on a free-agent. Albeit, they still have Randle on the books for 3 more seasons.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#134 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 pm

https://cavaliersnation.com/2023/05/26/report-cavs-intend-to-bring-back-cedi-osman-and-lamar-stevens/amp/

This was kind of a given. Cavs essentially have 10 spots spoken for. So they can fill 2 with the MLE and BAE. Then see what happens with LeVert and the TPE.

Your 2023-24 Cavs roster is mostly in place, folks.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,783

Post#135 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:03 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I've just gotta point out that in the end Collin Sexton got the $18M/yr some of us thought was about what he deserved while apparently the Cavs had lowered their offers to just above the MLE (to keep team's with just the MLE out of the picture).

You give up assets, you invest time in to a player, you want to come out of it with something even if it means having to pay more than what the team's with cap space are willing to spend. Hart is a UFA too, so there's no room for a miscalculation. And the Knicks being the Knicks probably have the extra complication of trying to align the next time they'll have money to spend on a free-agent. Albeit, they still have Randle on the books for 3 more seasons.

Sexton was very fortunate that the Knicks extended Barrett, and Ainge pivoted to the Cavs, because it's pretty clear no other team was willing to offer him that money. I just think that buying into the sunken cost fallacy is a mistake when it comes to contracts. None of LeVert, Okoro, or Hart are irreplaceable. The Cavs are presently in a position to replace 90% of what Okoro and LeVert bring at a fraction of the cost.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#136 » by JonFromVA » Sat May 27, 2023 5:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Sexton was very fortunate that the Knicks extended Barrett, and Ainge pivoted to the Cavs, because it's pretty clear no other team was willing to offer him that money. I just think that buying into the sunken cost fallacy is a mistake when it comes to contracts. None of LeVert, Okoro, or Hart are irreplaceable. The Cavs are presently in a position to replace 90% of what Okoro and LeVert bring at a fraction of the cost.

Sure, keep the goal posts moving. We'll never know what options the Cavs would have considered if the Mitchell deal didn't go down.

Fact is Collin did get paid better than what the restricted free-agent market was willing to pay him ... and if the Cavs actually feel they have legit options to replace Isaac and Caris for a fraction of the cost, they'd better move on them before those options are gone. We are in competition for talent and one of our only advantages is that if we don't bring back Caris and Isaac, we should have an open starting spot.

If you're right, I'd expect announcements of intention the first day of free-agency.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#137 » by JonFromVA » Sat May 27, 2023 5:20 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://cavaliersnation.com/2023/05/26/report-cavs-intend-to-bring-back-cedi-osman-and-lamar-stevens/amp/

This was kind of a given. Cavs essentially have 10 spots spoken for. So they can fill 2 with the MLE and BAE. Then see what happens with LeVert and the TPE.

I count 8 players we're committed to at this point if the report is accurate. Isaac is likely 9 unless we give up his QO or decline to match an offer.

Garland, Mitchell, Allen, Mobley
Osman, Rubio, Wade, Stevens

TBD: Okoro, Merrill, LeVert, Windler, Green, Lopez, Neto, Diakite, IMobley, Cooper, 2023 2nd rounder
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#138 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 27, 2023 6:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://cavaliersnation.com/2023/05/26/report-cavs-intend-to-bring-back-cedi-osman-and-lamar-stevens/amp/

I count 8 players we're committed to at this point if the report is accurate. Isaac is likely 9 unless we give up his QO or decline to match an offer.

TBD: Okoro, Merrill, LeVert, Windler, Green, Lopez, Neto, Diakite, IMobley, Cooper, 2023 2nd rounder

Okoro has a fully guaranteed year for 2023-24, his 5th year QO decision isn't until next summer.

So him, plus your 8 listed and Merrill (his deal won't be guaranteed until January 2024). I also read in a seperate article which is odd, even when they pick up Stevens option his salary will be non-guaranteed, idk how that works.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#139 » by JonFromVA » Sun May 28, 2023 1:59 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Okoro has a fully guaranteed year for 2023-24, his 5th year QO decision isn't until next summer.

So him, plus your 8 listed and Merrill (his deal won't be guaranteed until January 2024). I also read in a seperate article which is odd, even when they pick up Stevens option his salary will be non-guaranteed, idk how that works.

Wow, can't believe I screwed that up on Isaac, but sounds like we're in agreement on Merrill unless someone cares to leak that we've guaranteed him a spot.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#140 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 28, 2023 3:53 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Wow, can't believe I screwed that up on Isaac, but sounds like we're in agreement on Merrill unless someone cares to leak that we've guaranteed him a spot.
Yeah, that's why some people don't want to use the MLE on a shooter or 3&D guy because they figure even if LeVert walks, JB will have Okoro as the starting SF. Plus if the article is true then Cedi will be guaranteed and Stevens option picked up; Wade is still under contract too.

I'm just on the other side where idk how great any of those options are next to the core 4, in a 7 game series.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers