ImageImageImage

Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#221 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 2, 2023 2:32 pm

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-donovan-mitchell-cavs-playoff-series-matchup-20230401-qzhi7qw535dglk6btifecik6jm-story.html

"Something that’s really special and near and dear to me, being able to play in a playoff game in front of my friends and family, the team that I grew up watching".

I know everyone will interpret it different but to me, this seems like foreshadowing. Only 2 more years left on the deal, just saying.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#222 » by JonFromVA » Sun Apr 2, 2023 4:22 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-donovan-mitchell-cavs-playoff-series-matchup-20230401-qzhi7qw535dglk6btifecik6jm-story.html

"Something that’s really special and near and dear to me, being able to play in a playoff game in front of my friends and family, the team that I grew up watching".

I know everyone will interpret it different but to me, this seems like foreshadowing. Only 2 more years left on the deal, just saying.

If playing for the Knicks was the only thing that mattered to him, he sure wouldn't be a Cav.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#223 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 2, 2023 4:27 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-donovan-mitchell-cavs-playoff-series-matchup-20230401-qzhi7qw535dglk6btifecik6jm-story.html

If playing for the Knicks was the only thing that mattered to him, he sure wouldn't be a Cav.
Not sure he has much say in that, yet.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#224 » by JonFromVA » Sun Apr 2, 2023 5:13 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

All any player has ever had to say is I don't want to play in Cleveland and we've treated them like they're radioactive. With the Cavs out of the bidding, he's likely in NYC.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#225 » by toooskies » Sun Apr 2, 2023 5:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

All any player has ever had to say is I don't want to play in Cleveland and we've treated them like they're radioactive. With the Cavs out of the bidding, he's likely in NYC.

Yep. We've been very quick to accommodate Love, Nance, Kyrie, etc when they've wanted a change of scenery.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#226 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 2, 2023 5:45 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Ainge was always gonna rip off whoever he traded Mitchell to, it is how he operates. He seen a familiar victim in Koby and pounced.

I fully expect Mitchell to be a New York Knick in the summer of 2025.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#227 » by ijspeelman » Sun Apr 2, 2023 8:26 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Not sure he has much say in that, yet.

Ainge was always gonna rip off whoever he traded Mitchell to, it is how he operates. He seen a familiar victim in Koby and pounced.

We will see...

I think there is a lot that happens before that decision is made. I don't think Mitchell has already decided to do this or no matter what happens that he will leave. I'm really not prepared for this conversation yet as I think the next three post seasons will give a lot more answers to these questions. For all I know, he could still leave even if we made the finals each year.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#228 » by JonFromVA » Sun Apr 2, 2023 9:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Not sure he has much say in that, yet.

The Cavs don't pounce, they do their homework, network, build relations. Heck, Ricky Rubio was actually disappointed when he was traded to the Cavs and was thinking of retiring until Altman convinced him we were building something and had a role for him.

So, there are reasons Mitchell's initial response was excitement when the news broke.

Of course we can't take anything for granted, the Cavs need to keep moving forward and not stall out or go wacky like Utah/Gobert. And if Mitchell does want out, let's hope he gives us the same courtesy he gave the Jazz and let's us quietly move him and get something back.

Good news is we will be able to offer Evan a full rookie max extension the moment he's eligible thanks to the new CBA and will even have some more flexibility in signing 2nd rounders without using the MLE if we can stay under the 2nd cap line.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#229 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 2, 2023 10:00 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Cavs don't pounce, they do their homework, network, build relations. Heck, Ricky Rubio was actually disappointed when he was traded to the Cavs and was thinking of retiring until Altman convinced him we were building something and had a role for him.

So, there are reasons Mitchell's initial response was excitement when the news broke.

Of course we can't take anything for granted, the Cavs need to keep moving forward and not stall out or go wacky like Utah/Gobert. And if Mitchell does want out, let's hope he gives us the same courtesy he gave the Jazz and let's us quietly move him and get something back.

Good news is we will be able to offer Evan a full rookie max extension the moment he's eligible thanks to the new CBA and will even have some more flexibility in signing 2nd rounders without using the MLE if we can stay under the 2nd cap line.
Ah, I've not had a chance to read much into it yet.

What specifically did they change, the amount of max contracts a team can carry?
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#230 » by ijspeelman » Sun Apr 2, 2023 10:15 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Ainge was always gonna rip off whoever he traded Mitchell to, it is how he operates. He seen a familiar victim in Koby and pounced.

What specifically did they change, the amount of max contracts a team can carry?

Read on Twitter
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#231 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 2, 2023 10:55 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Read on Twitter
Good for us. Long term, idk how good that is for the league but hey that was a big concern so Mobley is locked in CLE for quite awhile now.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#232 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:53 am

We will be able to offer Mitchell a max extension before he becomes a free agent. If he doesn't want to extend, then we can shop him. The Mitchell situation is nothing to worry about, value-wise.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#233 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Apr 3, 2023 11:59 pm

I'd be optimistic.

Spida looks comfortable (his current game evolution from Utah to here proves it).

He's a lovely guy... maybe a bit obsessed about over-talking technical stuff with teammates but I'm pretty sure guys joke him about that and he takes it in a good mood.

In my opinion no matter how deep we dig:
We'll hardly find at the market any worthy and fair return for a focused, motivated and happy Don.

But we'll cross that bridge once we get it to that river, 'course.
You're right no need to worry as from now.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#234 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 11, 2023 12:52 am

Mitchell made All-NBA 2nd team, first All-NBA selection of his career.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#235 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:08 pm

https://fansided.com/2023/06/03/donovan-mitchell-wants-knicks-not-cavs/

We all know Mitchell wants to be a Knickerbocker but from that little snippet, no wonder the Cavs got whooped, sounds like Spyda was just happy to be there. Having the best player be overwhelmed by the atmosphere, just goes to show how young and immature the team and staff are, as a whole.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#236 » by ijspeelman » Sun Jun 4, 2023 3:09 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://fansided.com/2023/06/03/donovan-mitchell-wants-knicks-not-cavs/

We all know Mitchell wants to be a Knickerbocker but from that little snippet, no wonder the Cavs got whooped, sounds like Spyda was just happy to be there. Having the best player be overwhelmed by the atmosphere, just goes to show how young and immature the team and staff are, as a whole.

I think most players rave about Madison Square Garden. I personally wouldn't take too much from it.

However, the team is incredibly young so the assumption is that the players will fill out.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#237 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 4, 2023 5:58 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://fansided.com/2023/06/03/donovan-mitchell-wants-knicks-not-cavs/

Stars will turn that energy against the Knicks and drop 50, but Mitchell didn't have it in him this post- season. Being 'geeked' doesn't mean intimidated or overwhelmed.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#238 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 4, 2023 6:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Stars will turn that energy against the Knicks and drop 50, but Mitchell didn't have it in him this post- season. Being 'geeked' doesn't mean intimidated or overwhelmed.

Geeked is synonymous with happy, hence why i said his vibe was just happy to be there (the playoffs/NYC/MSG).

His play is what showed he was overwhelmed by the moment.

In the 2 road playoff games his statline was 16.5 ppg/-1.0 A:TO/5.5 rebs/3.5 fouls on atrocious shooting splits 37.8% FG, 16.7% from deep, and 60% from the charity stripe.

Oof.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#239 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 4, 2023 7:45 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Geeked is synonymous with happy, hence why i said his vibe was just happy to be there (the playoffs/NYC/MSG).

In the 2 road playoff games his statline was 16.5 ppg/-1.0 A:TO/5.5 rebs/3.5 fouls on atrocious shooting splits 37.8% FG, 16.7% from deep, and 60% from the charity stripe.

Oof.

Mitchell has a career 28/5/5 playoff average, I'm not assuming he was overwhelmed or the moment was too big for him or any of that. He was dealing with a groin injury, and if anything he might have been a bit too excited, running on adrenaline, etc.

And credit to the Knicks who had a plan that worked to steal home court and even adjusted it after game 2 to lock down the series.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#240 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jun 4, 2023 9:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Oof.

Mitchell has a career 28/5/5 playoff average, I'm not assuming he was overwhelmed or the moment was too big for him or any of that. He was dealing with a groin injury, and if anything he might have been a bit too excited, running on adrenaline, etc.

And credit to the Knicks who had a plan that worked to steal home court and even adjusted it after game 2 to lock down the series.

Who cares what his career playoff averages are, tbh.

It's a what have you did for me lately league, especially given the assets surrendered for Mitchell... An All-Star, 3 unprotected first round picks, 2 unprotected pick swaps, draft rights to a lottery pick, and Collin Sexton.

The past 2 seasons Mitchell has been putrid in the playoffs... 24.5 ppg means nothing if it is on 46.2 eFG% - 51.1 TS%.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers