ImageImageImage

Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,482

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#401 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 4:02 pm

Did we ever figure out for sure when the Cavs can offer Mitchell the extension?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,507

Post#402 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 17, 2024 4:48 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Wanted to mention a tidbit from the Athletic article on Mitchell's extension. It was interesting that the article explicitly said the extension would take Mitchell beyond his 30th birthday. Well, he'll be 28 in September.

That lines up with the possibility that he might only extend two years beyond this season (maybe a third PO year) and renegotiate when he is eligible for his 35% supermax.

Yeah, the timing is important for him not just in terms of getting that 35% but locking in what may be his last big payday while he's still playing at a max level.

I mean, can you imagine being the team on the hook to pay Damian Lillard $63M in 2027?

I have no idea how well Lillard takes care of himself, but that's still under 35% of the cap. Sure, you don't want to guarantee it, but it's not going to be the most expensive contract in the league.

And he can shoot, so he won't be asked to stay home when his athleticism declines. More like Steph Curry than John Wall.

Mitchell really relies on his athleticism to create shots at the rim and on the perimeter for himself even to play defense, whereas Steph just has to continue to be able to run through screens and someone else can get him the ball with just a little bit of room.

Let's just say there's a significant increase in risk to whoever pays Don the contract after this next one.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Post#403 » by toooskies » Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Yeah, the timing is important for him not just in terms of getting that 35% but locking in what may be his last big payday while he's still playing at a max level.

I mean, can you imagine being the team on the hook to pay Damian Lillard $63M in 2027?

I have no idea how well Lillard takes care of himself, but that's still under 35% of the cap. Sure, you don't want to guarantee it, but it's not going to be the most expensive contract in the league.

And he can shoot, so he won't be asked to stay home when his athleticism declines. More like Steph Curry than John Wall.

Mitchell really relies on his athleticism to create shots at the rim and on the perimeter for himself even to play defense, whereas Steph just has to continue to be able to run through screens and someone else can get him the ball with just a little bit of room.

Let's just say there's a significant increase in risk to whoever pays Don the contract after this next one.

I wouldn't hate paying Mitchell from age 31-35. I wouldn't enjoy paying him from 33-37, though.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,507

Post#404 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 17, 2024 7:13 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:I have no idea how well Lillard takes care of himself, but that's still under 35% of the cap. Sure, you don't want to guarantee it, but it's not going to be the most expensive contract in the league.

I wouldn't hate paying Mitchell from age 31-35. I wouldn't enjoy paying him from 33-37, though.

Yep, if he extends 4 years, then we've got him for ages 28, 29, 30, 31, and 32. That's fantastic, but he surely sees the writing on the wall that nobody is going to be excited to max him for the post-prime part of his career. And short of a no trade clause, taking a shorter contract also gives him more control of where he plays in case the Cavs decided to trade him.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers