Moderator: ijspeelman

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Around the NBA 

Post#241 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Lance has signed with Charlotte for 3/27 with a 3rd year team option

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#242 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:40 pm

He turned down 44 mil with Indiana :dontknow:
OhioGuy216
Junior
And1: 227

Post#243 » by OhioGuy216 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Dupp wrote:He turned down 44 mil with Indiana :dontknow:

Perhaps he wants to blow into MJ's ear now that he had Lebron?
brent_strong
Sophomore
And1: 151

Post#244 » by brent_strong » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:46 am

It's a lot like the Kirilenko situation where a player opted out of a contract (or in this case, declined an offer) to test the market. Both players got much lower offers than expected and in each case the original offer was no longer available - for Lance, it was unclear whether the Pacer's offer was still on the table, for Kirilenko, he opted out of his contract.

They also both were late signings, if I remember right. Usually the big offers and overpays happen early in FA and when things are winding up, players are left with only a couple realistic options and have to work around what cap space or exceptions are left. For Kirilenko, it was the full MLE, for Stephenson it seems to be the rest of Charlotte's cap, which is right about what the Pacers were offering, but on much more team-friendly terms.

tldr: It's a roll of the dice when you decline an offer or opt out. The market doesn't always match the value you/your agent places on you.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#245 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 pm

brent_strong wrote:

It's a lot like the Kirilenko situation where a player opted out of a contract (or in this case, declined an offer) to test the market. Both players got much lower offers than expected and in each case the original offer was no longer available - for Lance, it was unclear whether the Pacer's offer was still on the table, for Kirilenko, he opted out of his contract.

They also both were late signings, if I remember right. Usually the big offers and overpays happen early in FA and when things are winding up, players are left with only a couple realistic options and have to work around what cap space or exceptions are left. For Kirilenko, it was the full MLE, for Stephenson it seems to be the rest of Charlotte's cap, which is right about what the Pacers were offering, but on much more team-friendly terms.

tldr: It's a roll of the dice when you decline an offer or opt out. The market doesn't always match the value you/your agent places on you.

I didn't keep up with the news on this guy. Can someone tell me:
Didn't I read that the Indiana offer was for 5 years?
if so that's 8.8 million a year.
I thought he signed for 9 million a year. 3 years at 27 million wasn't it?

seems like he turned down two years extra years but will make more money by leaving to me. his next deal will be after the new tv deals and possibly expansion and cba. the players will definitely get a larger share next time. seems to me like he made a smart financial move barring complete career threatening injury. but as far as this word "value" he got the same value in charlotte. about 9 million a season.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#246 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:45 am

OhioGuy216 wrote:

Perhaps he wants to blow into MJ's ear now that he had Lebron?

I don't know why he did it but it could be so that he would hit FA sooner than when Indiana offered.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#247 » by B Mac » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:33 pm

Eric Bledsoe is at the Cleveland Clinic Courts working out.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#248 » by johnnyballgame » Fri Aug 1, 2014 6:08 pm

B Mac wrote:Eric Bledsoe is at the Cleveland Clinic Courts working out.

Mini Lebron. Can't see anyway possible for the Cavs to get him. (Sad face)

Unless maybe we could keep the Utah guys contracts in the Love deal add them to Waiters.. Phoenix would probably still hold him because he'd have to accept something like the deal the offered him already or even something slightly smaller. That would give them more motivation to keep him no?

After the monumental off season the Cavs have had, why not dream even bigger? Lol
David Griffin is my hero.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#249 » by Rise Against » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:52 am

Just watched the Team USA scrimmage.. Was really enjoying it up until that Paul George injury. It looked extremely gruesome.. I would be surprised if he is able to play this upcoming season. Very sad news. Really hope he gets better somehow someway.
Okada
Sixth Man
And1: 687

Post#250 » by Okada » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:01 am

The East is gonna be even worse than we expected. Which is a good thing for us. Though I feel really bad for PG. Gruesome injury in a meaningless scrimmage, doesn't get much worse than that.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#251 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:41 am

Rise Against wrote:Just watched the Team USA scrimmage.. Was really enjoying it up until that Paul George injury. It looked extremely gruesome.. I would be surprised if he is able to play this upcoming season. Very sad news. Really hope he gets better somehow someway.

It was beyond horrible. He wont be playing for a year minimum. That's a career/impact ending injury. Terrible.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#252 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:52 am

Damn I'm watching it on tape delay and just now in the early 3rd...I don't even want to see something like that.

That is my worry with Kyrie out there...last thing we need is him getting hurt.

Or next year one of our big guns going down...

Gotta wish the best for Paul George.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#253 » by Dcebucks11 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 4:09 am

Awful injury for Paul George. Hope for a healthy comeback.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#254 » by Cicero » Sat Aug 2, 2014 4:35 am

Damn this is horrifying.

MarkJonesESPN ‏@MarkJonesESPN 2m
All you need to know about the seriousness of Paul George's injury is that I'm looking at Kyrie Irving sobbing,crying in his Dads arms.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#255 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Aug 2, 2014 7:10 am

I don't know if George will ever play again and if he does he will never be the same. A doc on SportsCenter said 9 to 12 months minimum.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,445

Post#256 » by toodles23 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:17 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
B Mac wrote:Eric Bledsoe is at the Cleveland Clinic Courts working out.

Mini Lebron. Can't see anyway possible for the Cavs to get him. (Sad face)

Unless maybe we could keep the Utah guys contracts in the Love deal add them to Waiters.. Phoenix would probably still hold him because he'd have to accept something like the deal the offered him already or even something slightly smaller. That would give them more motivation to keep him no?

After the monumental off season the Cavs have had, why not dream even bigger? Lol
David Griffin is my hero.

Bledsoe really doesn't make sense for this team. Irving is going to start at the PG spot anyway, and Bledsoe is too small to defend 2s effectively, is not a good shooter, and is obviously too good/expensive to be coming off the bench.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#257 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 2, 2014 5:19 pm

Yeah I don't want Bledsoe either as good as he is.
hra8700
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#258 » by hra8700 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 5:40 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:I don't know if George will ever play again and if he does he will never be the same. A doc on SportsCenter said 9 to 12 months minimum.

He will probably miss the year, but it is very unlikely to have any lasting impact. It seems there was no nerve/artery damage. Bones heal very well. Even though it looked really bad, prognosis is better than something lile an acl
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#259 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 6:40 pm

Unfortunately it had to happen in a way that it did, but looks like Pacers aren't going to be much of an issue in the East or even central division this year.

I feel for PG, that's so unfortunate to see happen.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#260 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Aug 2, 2014 10:09 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:Unfortunately it had to happen in a way that it did, but looks like Pacers aren't going to be much of an issue in the East or even central division this year.

I feel for PG, that's so unfortunate to see happen.

I personally hope he does whatever's best for himself long term.
But the bones will be healed in two months maximum - likely less with plates and screws assisting, he'll be walking around for a month before running and then jumping in 4-6 months. There's a good possibility he could be back this year if he and the Pacers really wanted him to be.

If all the reports are true that there were no complications other than broken bones this injury looked a lot worse than it turned out to be.

Ouch it looked nasty. Never going to see the hoops that close with NBA players again.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers