ImageImageImage

What's next for the Cavs? Follow up moves & Roster talk.

Moderator: ijspeelman

ninjamilk23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,132

Re: What's next for the Cavs? Follow up moves & Roster talk. 

Post#621 » by ninjamilk23 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Right now priority should be including LeBron to join uncle drew and wes.
Sometimes I'll start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way.
improvisor
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#622 » by improvisor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:59 am

johnnyballgame wrote:
improvisor wrote:Thabeet has proven his a bust. But if we can pick him up maybe he can produce better here with a bit more minutes but I really doubt it.His character isn't great either,He uses his "head" the wrong way. If Haywood was healthy he would have been exactly what we needed but his looking like he just never meant to play for the cavs.

That's why I said just bring him in for a look. He's 7 foot 3 and definitely alters/blocks shots.
His offensive game is terrible, its said he has a poor IQ and may drive guys like Lebron nuts. But bring him in and find that out. It costs nothing - even if he's signed its the minimum and only temporary until we upgrade. I'm not suggesting he's a long term answer. I don't think we have more minutes to give him than what he's gotten. But you never know how long it might take to upgrade. He sort of fits the bill. By bill I mean our need for a 10 minute and situational rim protector as well as what we can pay guys when we have three max salaries on the roster.

I'd love to have a center who plays 20-25 minutes a night defending the post but I don't think thats easy to find with the limited dollars playing next to three max players. I know Gilbert is willing to spend but talented big men command real money. I'm trying to be more realistic. I think when Love resigns we could sign and flip Thompson for someone who fits the team better but until next year, with Haywood's deal and that, well be lucky if the right deal mentioned above becomes available. The Cavs have proven themselves to have extraordinary amount of luck though. Hope they prove me wrong somehow.

To be honest I rather sign and give Greg Stiemsma a shot again (short lived cav) before thabeet. he already proven to be a beast at blocking shots(better than thabeet at rim protection) and good at guarding bigger centers even tho he's only 6'10. Hes also a better rebounder, as well as being decently mobil.

He just fell off hard last season after a injury yet still avr a block per game for the season, which thabeet struggled to do most of his career.No reason to think he can't bounce back from last season now that he's healthy. He would be cheap and can be genius if he works out and if he don't then he's a big body that can be used. if we can't add mozgov, O'Neal or okafor he would be a better option than thabeet.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#623 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:32 am

improvisor wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:
improvisor wrote:Thabeet has proven his a bust. But if we can pick him up maybe he can produce better here with a bit more minutes but I really doubt it.His character isn't great either,He uses his "head" the wrong way. If Haywood was healthy he would have been exactly what we needed but his looking like he just never meant to play for the cavs.

That's why I said just bring him in for a look. He's 7 foot 3 and definitely alters/blocks shots.
His offensive game is terrible, its said he has a poor IQ and may drive guys like Lebron nuts. But bring him in and find that out. It costs nothing - even if he's signed its the minimum and only temporary until we upgrade. I'm not suggesting he's a long term answer. I don't think we have more minutes to give him than what he's gotten. But you never know how long it might take to upgrade. He sort of fits the bill. By bill I mean our need for a 10 minute and situational rim protector as well as what we can pay guys when we have three max salaries on the roster.

I'd love to have a center who plays 20-25 minutes a night defending the post but I don't think thats easy to find with the limited dollars playing next to three max players. I know Gilbert is willing to spend but talented big men command real money. I'm trying to be more realistic. I think when Love resigns we could sign and flip Thompson for someone who fits the team better but until next year, with Haywood's deal and that, well be lucky if the right deal mentioned above becomes available. The Cavs have proven themselves to have extraordinary amount of luck though. Hope they prove me wrong somehow.

To be honest I rather sign and give Greg Stiemsma a shot again (short lived cav) before thabeet. he already proven to be a beast at blocking shots(better than thabeet at rim protection) and good at guarding bigger centers even tho he's only 6'10. Hes also a better rebounder, as well as being decently mobil.

He just fell off hard last season after a injury yet still avr a block per game for the season, which thabeet struggled to do most of his career.No reason to think he can't bounce back from last season now that he's healthy. He would be cheap and can be genius if he works out and if he don't then he's a big body that can be used. if we can't add mozgov, O'Neal or okafor he would be a better option than thabeet.

the more I think about this the more I think the Cavs are better off playing small ball without a center. okafor isn't much different than haywood. Steimsma had a terrible year, committed a ton of fouls. no one's signed him since April! Thabeet has size but no heart.
O'Neal had a great year but he's old an probably wants more than the min. He hasn't been linked to us much and there hasn't been any secrets this off season. Surely we can put 5 better players on the court without any of these guys.
Surely we can put 5 much better players on the court than any of these guys.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#624 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:34 am

ninjamilk23 wrote:Right now priority should be including LeBron to join uncle drew and wes.

you mean Wise?
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
improvisor
Rookie

Post#625 » by improvisor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Wes is Loves middle name.
improvisor
Rookie

Post#626 » by improvisor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:41 pm

out of those guys I like Jermaine the most the only thing I found was the cavs was there in la when he was doing a workout there with some other players. But since then not much was said about him. Honestly blatt like small ball anyways. We aren't doing anything drastic to get a big man. I really see us seeing what kirk and Powell can do and then pick one of them before the opening game. Neither one impressed me in the summer league the only big man on that team that did impress me wasn't even a real center that guy is Cooley. Maybe one of those guys surprise me.
improvisor
Rookie

Post#627 » by improvisor » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 am

Brendan Haywood was in town and the 7-footer is in excellent shape in terms of weight and body fat. He had surgery to repair a broken foot last October, and missed the entire season. The Cavs weren't sure if he could play this season -- or at least not until January. Now, they are hopeful it will be sooner

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/08/terrys_talkin_about_the_clevel_9.html#incart_river

He also said he's working hard on his rehab. He also might be one reason Marion wanted to sign here as well. If he can make a early comeback then I really see him helping us for that 15-20 minutes on defense.
guwop
Banned User
And1: 31

Post#628 » by guwop » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 am

johnnyballgame wrote:
ninjamilk23 wrote:Right now priority should be including LeBron to join uncle drew and wes.

you mean Wise?

Drew is Kyrie's middle name & Wes is Love's...

Too bad LeBron is with Sprite, would love to see Ray...

does Dion have a middle name? França needs to make an appearance.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#629 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:16 am

Kyrie Andrew Irving
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
guwop
Banned User
And1: 31

Post#630 » by guwop » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:37 am

TheKingofSting wrote:Kyrie Andrew Irving

yeah...Drew

ps. Dion Waiters has DWade potential.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#631 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:43 am

Haha, my sig is old from before that draft.

johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#632 » by johnnyballgame » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:55 pm

improvisor wrote:Brendan Haywood was in town and the 7-footer is in excellent shape in terms of weight and body fat. He had surgery to repair a broken foot last October, and missed the entire season. The Cavs weren't sure if he could play this season -- or at least not until January. Now, they are hopeful it will be sooner

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/08/terrys_talkin_about_the_clevel_9.html#incart_river

He also said he's working hard on his rehab. He also might be one reason Marion wanted to sign here as well. If he can make a early comeback then I really see him helping us for that 15-20 minutes on defense.

I read that in today's paper. Hope he can get ready and help us. I'm just not going to believe it until I see it.

The part about Marion coming here even in part because of Haywood is laughable. As it was when it was said David Griffin was a reason Marion came here. Playing for a championship is the only reason he's coming here. If Griffin was the T-Wolves GM and he traded for Haywood there would Marion have signed there? Not a chance in hell. These things are just coincidences that didn't matter one iota.
improvisor
Rookie

Post#633 » by improvisor » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:40 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
improvisor wrote:Brendan Haywood was in town and the 7-footer is in excellent shape in terms of weight and body fat. He had surgery to repair a broken foot last October, and missed the entire season. The Cavs weren't sure if he could play this season -- or at least not until January. Now, they are hopeful it will be sooner

I read that in today's paper. Hope he can get ready and help us. I'm just not going to believe it until I see it.

The part about Marion coming here even in part because of Haywood is laughable. As it was when it was said David Griffin was a reason Marion came here. Playing for a championship is the only reason he's coming here. If Griffin was the T-Wolves GM and he traded for Haywood there would Marion have signed there? Not a chance in hell. These things are just coincidences that didn't matter one iota.

Of course he came here because he wants to win and that's the main thing. But he had other suitors as well. Don't discard his connections with Griffen and Haywood either which are the only 2 guys he's close to within the organization. Not huge reasons but it does mark up as a plus and gave us the advantage against Chicago and Clippers which are both in contention and had interest.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#634 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:29 pm

It is good to see Haywood has a good attitude and is ready to go.

johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#635 » by johnnyballgame » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:45 am

improvisor wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

Of course he came here because he wants to win and that's the main thing. But he had other suitors as well. Don't discard his connections with Griffen and Haywood either which are the only 2 guys he's close to within the organization. Not huge reasons but it does mark up as a plus and gave us the advantage against Chicago and Clippers which are both in contention and had interest.

No, I'm going to discard those "connections" for reasons explained above.

Sidenote: What does anyone know about Miroslav Raduljica? I know he's not a defensive presence but at 7'1" he's got legit center size. He's playing great for Serbia in the World Cup. 17 ppg on 60% shooting. Seems to be intelligent and experienced. May be slightly familiar with Blatt from playing overseas. Only one year in the states. Could he improve off of that? Free agent now and last contract was about what we have to offer.
improvisor
Rookie

Post#636 » by improvisor » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:38 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
improvisor wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

No, I'm going to discard those "connections" for reasons explained above.

Sidenote: What does anyone know about Miroslav Raduljica? I know he's not a defensive presence but at 7'1" he's got legit center size. He's playing great for Serbia in the World Cup. 17 ppg on 60% shooting. Seems to be intelligent and experienced. May be slightly familiar with Blatt from playing overseas. Only one year in the states. Could he improve off of that? Free agent now and last contract was about what we have to offer.

I've seen him play last year in the nba. I rather sign tabeet to have some rim protection and I don't want to do that. I rather see what Kirk and Powell can do and I dislike both of them.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#637 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:00 am

Thabeet wouldn't be a bad bench piece for this team.

improvisor
Rookie

Post#638 » by improvisor » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:19 am

TheKingofSting wrote:Thabeet wouldn't be a bad bench piece for this team.

If we going to get a end of the bench rim protector and thabeet and Steimsma was are our choices, I pick Steimsma since that actually his ONLY real NBA talent which thabeet doesn't have any talent at all.
improvisor
Rookie

Post#639 » by improvisor » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:20 am

gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#640 » by gflem » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:37 pm

Wayne Ellington was released, I like how played when he was here. Any interest if Ray Ray doesn't want to sign?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers