TT feels disrespected by the Cavs

Moderator: ijspeelman

johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Re: TT feels disrespected by the Cavs 

Post#61 » by johnnyballgame » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Before LBJ returned did any of you Cavs fans think he was worth $80 million dollars?

Most of us don't think he's worth the $80 million after LBJ returned.

Not to do a lot of revisionist history, but let's go all the way back to...I don't know, last season.
We had Love, which is the reason most of you think we don't need Thompson.
We had Varejao. We had Mozgov.

Let's imagine a very probable scenario... Like maybe Love getting hurt early in the playoffs... And an early Finals game going in to overtime,
Only this time the guy you all think is worth the max (Mozgov) hits one of thise first shots or even two..
After all... The guys trying to stop him were 6'7" and under..
Imagine we didn't fall in that immediate hole in OT because he missed those shots..

Could we have gone on to win that game? We win game two and game three.
Would we have won a title?

How much would a guy have been worth to a team if that guy makes that possible?
I'm not looking at stats. I'm asking..
If a guy is a difference between winning and losing a title, then what is a team willing to pay that guy?

Well, I bet a lot of owners would she'll out for a title if the could. I'm not saying Thompson guarantees a title. But he proved last season go be darned good insurance. And Love and some of the rest of the team have given the owner cause to purchase a lot of insurance.

He'll definitely be tradable down the road when the average player makes $10-$15 million as there will always be Philadelphias in the league. Its not like he wouldn't be an asset to a team.

Hes over paid right now... So what.. Get over it. As fans it costs us nothing. Cry for the owner if you want, but his wallet isn't hurting no matter how many tears you shed. Compare us to the train wreck that is the Nets if you want, but they never had a Lebron did they?
We're not going to have cap room with Lebron and Kyrie here. To argue the owners lack of money or cap hell is irrelevant and ridiculous. That's a problem for when we don't have Lebron and not having Lebron brings on a whole lot of new, bigger and different problems that a five year desk isn't making a blip compared to.

This is something we NEEDED to do to make a legit run at multiple titles. That's what fans should be happy about.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,193

Post#62 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:36 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Before LBJ returned did any of you Cavs fans think he was worth $80 million dollars?

Not to do a lot of revisionist history, but let's go all the way back to...I don't know, last season.

Let's imagine a very probable scenario... Like maybe Love getting hurt early in the playoffs... And an early Finals game going in to overtime,
Only this time the guy you all think is worth the max (Mozgov) hits one of thise first shots or even two..
Imagine we didn't fall in that immediate hole in OT because he missed those shots..

If a guy is a difference between winning and losing a title, then what is a team willing to pay that guy?

Well, I bet a lot of owners would she'll out for a title if the could. I'm not saying Thompson guarantees a title. But he proved last season go be darned good insurance. And Love and some of the rest of the team have given the owner cause to purchase a lot of insurance.

He'll definitely be tradable down the road when the average player makes $10-$15 million as there will always be Philadelphias in the league. Its not like he wouldn't be an asset to a team.

Hes over paid right now... So what.. Get over it. As fans it costs us nothing. Cry for the owner if you want, but his wallet isn't hurting no matter how many tears you shed. Compare us to the train wreck that is the Nets if you want, but they never had a Lebron did they?
We're not going to have cap room with Lebron and Kyrie here. To argue the owners lack of money or cap hell is irrelevant and ridiculous. That's a problem for when we don't have Lebron and not having Lebron brings on a whole lot of new, bigger and different problems that a five year desk isn't making a blip compared to.

This is something we NEEDED to do to make a legit run at multiple titles. That's what fans should be happy about.

I absolutely hate this argument. By that logic, how much is Delly worth?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#63 » by johnnyballgame » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:40 pm

I hate when naysayers take one thing and try to pick it apart like its some kind of totality.

If there were only one reason/argument (I prefer the positive term while you prefer the negative, coincidence?) for keeping and paying Thompson then he'd likely be gone.
The fact is there are many, many reasons the guy is valuable as a player, probably more than with most players, and the combined totality of them made him a valuable and desirable player. The Cavaliers organization agrees so I take that as good back up to my points.
Sure they've been wrong before. I'm sure you have all the negative times memorized and can recite them now.

We could go back and forth on individual points forever. But I'm going to root for the Cavs now... All of the Cavs.

It would be foolish to hang onto things I can't control. Like last year, I accepted the inevitability that the teams plan was to trade Wiggins for Love. I went with it and saw that it had good probabilities. Others hung on to "should have kept Wiggins". That shipped has passed. What could have been can not be watched.

I can and have admitted you've always been right that Thompson has no skill that makes him outstanding of that should make him the highest paid in the league. He's over paid. Hell, all athletes are over paid. But what some people need to come to grips with is next year's salary situation is a first historically and the numbers say its not just likely but nearly a given he would have been paid in this strange situation, worth it or not, and the Cavs have so few options to add solid rotational players right now, when we need them most that this is a must deal. And the Cavs won this negotiation.

We're not building a team anymore here. We have a team. We're trying to win a championship, not manage our cap number.

And I don't want to go back and forth... But in your above post you turned what I said into Delly's one big game and role as third string point guard is the same type of insurance as Thompson provides backing up and playing starters minutes at two positions. Delly is barely in the league. Thompson was taken fourth overall. He has a much, much greater value and important role. I asked the question, yes, but what I suggested is far more probable based on the likelihood of any of Mozgov, Varejao or Love getting injured versus both Kyrie and Mo getting injured and the Cavs not acquiring a better point guard in that situation. I wasn't making the argument that it's the totality of his worth.

Go Cavs.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
bb22
Starter
And1: 994

Post#64 » by bb22 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:53 am

johnnyballgame wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If Lebron had hit that shot to win the game (before OT), then the cavs would have been up 1-0 and Kyrie would have been healthy. There are millions of factors that affect the way a game, not to mention a playoff series, finishes. Nevertheless, i agree that TT is very important to this team.
ThirdEyeSharp
Junior
And1: 36

Post#65 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:58 am

If LeBron takes anything other than a fade away 3 we might win that game. I wanted Kyrie to take that shot honestly he's got the chops for something like that. He's known for it here. But that is beside the point.

I bet you all will be happy with a bench of Mo/JR/RJ/Tristan/Andy come december. Now that it's over I don't think any of us will be complaining about the deal any time soon.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers