Post#22 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm happy I was preaching the truth from day 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Zaccai
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Kyrie Irving 

Post#23 » by Zaccai » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Throughout the playoffs he did better than what i though he would do.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#24 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Aug 1, 2016 1:30 am

Zaccai wrote:Throughout the playoffs he did better than what i though he would do.

I have no idea why you'd think he would do any worse than that. He's played well every single time he's been on the big stage including up to game one of the finals in last years finals.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,489

Post#25 » by Pelly24 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ThirdEyeSharp wrote:1. Had LeBron not taken a terrible fade away 3 with game 1 tied on the last possession and we actually run a play for Kyrie (or run a play in general for anyone, that holding for OT crap in game 1 lost us the series) who is a proven knockdown shooter and clutch player he may not have gotten injured. He had a game saving block, 5 steals, and outperformed Curry in game 1 before OT. Do you remember that?

2. Dude shot 45% from 3 with tendinitis in his knees and the spacing he provided against Chicago was huge.

3. What has Love done for us in the playoffs, or the regular season, to warrant your opinion on keeping him over Kyrie? I'm not some reactionary person saying we need to trade either guy, but I'd love to hear what you have to say given the parameters you've given me to judge Kyrie. Love consistently shoots a lower percentage than Kyrie despite being 6'10" and having both Kyrie and LeBron produce open looks for him.

To me it comes down to two things - I don't think Kyrie is ever going to play system basketball. The ball is always going to stick. LBJ can mitigate against that by being a point forward some but that's what you're going to have to do. I don't think Kyrie is capable of guarding good PGs and his team defense hasn't improved over the course of 5 years. Now if last night was a wake up call, fine. But I've seen Eddie Haskell say all the right things in interviews too many times to take it on faith that he's on the verge of getting it.

As good as Kyrie and LBJ are, neither are good enough to beat elite defensive teams playing hero ball. If last night wasn't proof of that, I don't know what will be.

As far as open looks for Love, the only open looks Love gets are at the three point line where he really shouldn't be planted for 80% of the game. When he posts, Kyrie almost never gets him the ball in a timely fashion because he's too busy dribbling.

Haha damn, hope you watched the whole 2K16 Finals. That is literally exactly what LeBron and Kyrie did. Kyrie completely destroyed the Warriors Defense before and after Draymond Green and Bogut were out to. I can honestly say, no other PG could've gotten this done playing next to LeBron. LeBron and Kyrie are pretty much as good as it gets one on one, and as long as Kyrie plays even average defense, makes quick decisions with the ball and LeBron knocks down at least a few jumpers, keeps running the team and scores an efficient 25 a game, the Cavs are pretty much unbeatable in a seven game series. LeBron's all around play keeps them in any game and Kyrie's peerless scoring skillset and at least solid all around play is good for at least one or two wins in most playoff series.

Honestly, Love isn't a great player. There is no such thing as an easy shot for him on the court, and even when Kyrie wasn't there and they had LeBron -- aka, owner of the league's highest basketball iq, possibly the game's best all around passer -- he averaged 19 ppg while shooting an awful (for a big man) 42% from the field. It's clear that K. Love is not an elite offensive talent, and you don't even think about trading one of those unless you can get another one.
ThirdEyeSharp
Junior
And1: 36

Post#26 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:43 pm

Where is OP?

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:21 pm

ThirdEyeSharp wrote:Where is OP?

Never left. Been here since 2010 and been going hard since 2012.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ThirdEyeSharp
Junior

Re: RE: Re: Kyrie Irving 

Post#28 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:18 am

jbk1234 wrote:

You still think Kyrie doesn't belong?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Re: RE: Re: Kyrie Irving 

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:23 am

ThirdEyeSharp wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

You still think Kyrie doesn't belong?

I'm as thrilled as anyone that he had a good post season. I'm happy he played hard-nosed defense in the Finals. I'm not particularly happy that we had to wait that long to see it. He's still young. He can grow as a player and an individual. He can become even better if he makes it a priority to get his teammates involved when LBJ isn't on the floor playing PG. Nothing would make happier if he turned a corner and plays at that level consistently. Lue might be the right coach to keep him from regressing. But I don't regret posting what I did when I did it. It was all true at the time I posted it. I'm hopeful that it will remain in the past.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#30 » by FrontPageNews » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:19 am

Kyrie might have played hard nose defense by his standards but Curry still shot 50% on him. I love Kyrie but he's gonna have to really improve on that end. I wonder how many players in history went from being terrible on defense to average/good. Jason Kidd maybe?
ThirdEyeSharp
Junior

Post#31 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:13 pm

You still underrated his offensive potency. It's transcendent, like probably one of the top 3 scoring skill sets in all of the NBA. And you're still worried about his defense.

There was a stat that the Cavs with Kyrie on the floor and LeBron off were still +9 against opponents. He was better when not playing with LeBron last season than he was with.

Defense is played with 5 men and that's how we won the Finals. That's how we will continue to play defense.

Don't box him into some idea of what a point guard should be. He is capable of scoring 25 PPG and averaging 5 apg as a second option. I see nothing to be worried about.

Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#32 » by Vee-Rex » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:04 pm

ThirdEyeSharp wrote:You still underrated his offensive potency. It's transcendent, like probably one of the top 3 scoring skill sets in all of the NBA. And you're still worried about his defense.

There was a stat that the Cavs with Kyrie on the floor and LeBron off were still +9 against opponents. He was better when not playing with LeBron last season than he was with.

Defense is played with 5 men and that's how we won the Finals. That's how we will continue to play defense.

Don't box him into some idea of what a point guard should be. He is capable of scoring 25 PPG and averaging 5 apg as a second option. I see nothing to be worried about.

I gotta say I agree with this. Everyone wants to mold Kyrie into a Chris Paul and don't seem to understand that you gotta unleash him so he can be his most effective. That was a difference between Blatt and Lue - where Blatt wanted to change Irving, Lue wanted to promote his strengths. Irving will never be an 8+ assist per game point guard, so my message to all Cavs fans - DEAL WITH IT.

I bet we're gonna hear the same thing during the regular season next season, and I'm not worried one bit about it. I don't want Irving to go all out in the regular season when we all know he's at high risk of injury. Save that for the playoffs (and Kyrie has been a +defender both years in the playoffs).

The non-stop criticism needs to stop. Kyrie is as efficient as Lillard, nearly identical at passing as Lillard, and both are identical defenders, yet you never hear Portland fans constantly bashing Lillard even though Kyrie's playoff stats DESTROYS Lillard's. We've got passionate fans here in C-Town but lets start showing some love for our players, even given their imperfections.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#33 » by TheOUTLAW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm starting to believe that Kyrie is among the most hated and underappreciated players in the NBA>
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
erod009
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#34 » by erod009 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:I'm starting to believe that Kyrie is among the most hated and underappreciated players in the NBA>

That only happens with fans. Cleveland staff loves him and also Lebron and US Team staff.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers