ImageImageImage

Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Re: Around The NBA 

Post#1301 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:40 pm

Well, Gallo and Mike Muscala were coupled again and traded to the Pistons for Bagley.

It's always funny to me when guys are traded multiple times with the same teammate.

Dipo and Sabonis were traded from the Magic to the Thunder, then from the Thunder to the Pacers.

James Butler and Patton were traded from the Bulls to the Wolves, then from the Wolves to the 76ers.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#1302 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, Gallo and Mike Muscala were coupled again and traded to the Pistons for Bagley.

It's always funny to me when guys are traded multiple times with the same teammate.

Dipo and Sabonis were traded from the Magic to the Thunder, then from the Thunder to the Pacers.

James Butler and Patton were traded from the Bulls to the Wolves, then from the Wolves to the 76ers.

It's advantageous to have a couple guys on short and/or expiring deals who add up to a max contract.

But I sure don't trust the Wizards talent evaluation.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1303 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:12 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, Gallo and Mike Muscala were coupled again and traded to the Pistons for Bagley.

It's advantageous to have a couple guys on short and/or expiring deals who add up to a max contract.

But I sure don't trust the Wizards talent evaluation.
I'm excited to see who the Cavs pick to fill 14 and 15.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1304 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:28 am

Amazon took over Bally Sports streaming, so there may be a way to watch Cavs games : )
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1305 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:46 am

https://cleveland.gleague.nba.com/news/charge-make-roster-moves

The man, the myth, the legend. I can't even believe this dude still plays basketball.

Welcome back to the 216 after a decade hiatus, wow, a true blast from the past.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 859

Post#1306 » by ijspeelman » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:05 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://cleveland.gleague.nba.com/news/charge-make-roster-moves

The man, the myth, the legend. I can't even believe this dude still plays basketball.

I cannot say I remember Hopson, but its always cool to see guys sticking around the highest level
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1307 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://cleveland.gleague.nba.com/news/charge-make-roster-moves

I cannot say I remember Hopson, but its always cool to see guys sticking around the highest level

Hopson has truly toured the world on his basketball journey. It's a bit of a curiosity why he hasn't settled down with one team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1308 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:35 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

I just remember him because they signed him at the end of the season, he played in 2 games for a combined like 7 minutes then just got traded in the summer (like many guys did) once LeBron returned.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1309 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:57 am

Stevens on the move again, he was sent to the Grizzlies today.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1310 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:16 pm

Agbaji on the move again, he's headed north to the Raptors. Surprised he netted a 1st rounder in return.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1311 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:21 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Agbaji on the move again, he's headed north to the Raptors. Surprised he netted a 1st rounder in return.

I'm more surprised the the Jazz are giving up on him, they seemed to be pretty happy with his progress last year.

Supposedly this is a weak draft and the pick the Raptors are giving up is expected to be far worse than the #15 we used to draft him (or even the #20 someone else might had used).

Olynyk had been sneaky good as a spacing big last season, meaning even the Jazz didn't seem to realize how well they were playing with Markkanen-Olynyk-Kessler in lineups unless their "genius" coach was in on the tanking, or Lauri insisted he wanted to play PF?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1312 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Agbaji on the move again, he's headed north to the Raptors. Surprised he netted a 1st rounder in return.

I'm more surprised the the Jazz are giving up on him, they seemed to be pretty happy with his progress last year.

Supposedly this is a weak draft and the pick the Raptors are giving up is expected to be far worse than the #15 we used to draft him (or even the #20 someone else might had used).

Olynyk had been sneaky good as a spacing big last season, meaning even the Jazz didn't seem to realize how well they were playing with Markkanen-Olynyk-Kessler in lineups unless their "genius" coach was in on the tanking, or Lauri insisted he wanted to play PF?
We used #14 on him, i only know because it was a lottery pick ; )
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1313 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:59 pm

Dang, watching this podcast, i did not realize that Coby White has been having a huge breakout season.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#1314 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:14 pm

toooskies wrote:https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2023/10/20/23925056/new-york-knicks-waive-nathan-knight-sign-two-former-cavs

Diakite and Brandon Goodwin to the Knicks. On top of Windler, they're really doubling down on the ex-Cavs.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/spurs-mamadi-diakite-active-for-tuesdays-game/

Not sure how i missed this but just saw it on the league transactions, Diakite is on a 2-way with the Spurs.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1315 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:31 am

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/lebron-james-lakers-free-agency-pay-cut-bronny/10153038c6da02a922c7a218

Well, there ya have it. Cavs better draft Bronny.

"there are at least two teams on the NBA map that believe LeBron James would consider signing with them at far less than $51.4 million if Bronny James is on the roster".
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1316 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:50 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/lebron-james-lakers-free-agency-pay-cut-bronny/10153038c6da02a922c7a218

"there are at least two teams on the NBA map that believe LeBron James would consider signing with them at far less than $51.4 million if Bronny James is on the roster".

Fortunately the Cavs know or will know (not have to believe) via Rich Paul if James wants to make another return in some manner the Cavs can realistically pull off, but I doubt they leaked that to Mark Stein. $51.4M is a lot of cap space to free up and/or a lot of players to trade in a S&T for a 40 year old. James has dismissed the idea he'd sign for the MLE, but if he was willing to accept something in the $20M/$30M range he would make things a lot easier.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,659

Post#1317 » by toooskies » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:08 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/lebron-james-lakers-free-agency-pay-cut-bronny/10153038c6da02a922c7a218

Fortunately the Cavs know or will know (not have to believe) via Rich Paul if James wants to make another return in some manner the Cavs can realistically pull off, but I doubt they leaked that to Mark Stein. $51.4M is a lot of cap space to free up and/or a lot of players to trade in a S&T for a 40 year old. James has dismissed the idea he'd sign for the MLE, but if he was willing to accept something in the $20M/$30M range he would make things a lot easier.

James has the freedom to do whatever he'd like. That's the nice thing about being a billionaire-- do what you want. The narrative of returning to Cleveland would be appealing-- but so may going back to Miami, or the Knicks, or ring chasing in OKC, or cross-town to the Clippers.

The Cavs would certainly move a salary or three (some of LeVert/Strus/Niang/Okoro contracts) to make a sign-and-trade viable, but it depends on what LA would want to take in return.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1318 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

James has the freedom to do whatever he'd like. That's the nice thing about being a billionaire-- do what you want. The narrative of returning to Cleveland would be appealing-- but so may going back to Miami, or the Knicks, or ring chasing in OKC, or cross-town to the Clippers.

The Cavs would certainly move a salary or three (some of LeVert/Strus/Niang/Okoro contracts) to make a sign-and-trade viable, but it depends on what LA would want to take in return.

I'd be hesitant to give up too much of our depth for a 40 year old that only plays hard when he feels like it; and if I was the Lakers, I'd just want James' salary off the books so I go can recruit the next star that wants to be in LA (unless they can trade him for that guy).

We would presumably be expected to free up a roster spot and play time for Bronny (JBB probably resigns when Altman tries to tell him he has to play a kid who's barely cutting it in the NCAA).

Hopefully Jr stays in college so he can find some success on his own, and if that's the case then James will be in no rush to uproot his family. Probably just remains on the Lakers because there's no easy path to the Clippers I can see.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#1319 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:53 pm

Do we really think that Bronny will be forced on a coach? I can see blowing a roster spot, ala Thansis, but I struggle to see Bronny being gifted any PT. I also think that in Cleveland specifically, we see the recipe for disaster that is acquiring LeBron and drafting Bronny. I just don't see it.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1320 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:16 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:Do we really think that Bronny will be forced on a coach? I can see blowing a roster spot, ala Thansis, but I struggle to see Bronny being gifted any PT. I also think that in Cleveland specifically, we see the recipe for disaster that is acquiring LeBron and drafting Bronny. I just don't see it.

James' stated goal is to play with his son, not hang out with him when he's not playing in the g-league.

So, the easiest thing is for Bonny to stay at USC and for James to pick up his option and stay on the Lakers.

But do they want that?

From the Cavs POV, they may be backed in the corner where they can't ignore the opportunity to bring James back again. I mean imagine if that's what sells Mitchell on extending? Otoh, it's possible Mitchell isn't interested in bringing the circus back to Cleveland. We just don't know. JBB might even be fired before we need to decide. But there are paths where this gets out of control and we may feel we have no choice but to do whatever it takes to make James' dream of playing with his son come true.

I certainly hope not.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers