ImageImageImage

Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,671

Re: Around The NBA 

Post#1361 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Jordi Fernandez is going to coach the Nets. He was likely on the Cavs short-list if they decided to go the assistant coach route again because he has connections with the organization and has even interviewed for the position previously.

Yep. It's interesting that he took the Nets job when he's one of the hotter names on the coaching market right now. Maybe he's looking at the Nets and seeing that they don't have immediate hopes for contention and that'll give him some job security, as opposed to someplace like Cleveland where we might end up changing coaches like dirty laundry the next few years if things don't work out.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,408

Post#1362 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:07 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Jordi Fernandez is going to coach the Nets. He was likely on the Cavs short-list if they decided to go the assistant coach route again because he has connections with the organization and has even interviewed for the position previously.

Yep. It's interesting that he took the Nets job when he's one of the hotter names on the coaching market right now. Maybe he's looking at the Nets and seeing that they don't have immediate hopes for contention and that'll give him some job security, as opposed to someplace like Cleveland where we might end up changing coaches like dirty laundry the next few years if things don't work out.

Some additional thoughts:

1) It's not fun to inherit someone else's mess.
2) He may not wish to bank his future on an atypical roster construction.
3) Trading for Mitchell was Altman's gamble, signing on before that's resolved means he's assuming Altman's risk.
4) Delaying accepting the Nets offer may not be an option, and waiting on the Cavs position would require betting against Bickerstaff which he would likely find both distasteful and risky.

From the Cavs, POV, what they'll be wondering is whether there's someone that would make it more likely Donovan takes the extension. The last time they tried to thread that needle with a UFA, LeBron walked and we got stuck with Byron Scott.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,671

Post#1363 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:

3) Trading for Mitchell was Altman's gamble, signing on before that's resolved means he's assuming Altman's risk.
4) Delaying accepting the Nets offer may not be an option, and waiting on the Cavs position would require betting against Bickerstaff which he would likely find both distasteful and risky.

From the Cavs, POV, what they'll be wondering is whether there's someone that would make it more likely Donovan takes the extension. The last time they tried to thread that needle with a UFA, LeBron walked and we got stuck with Byron Scott.

I mean, the Cavs wouldn't be the only other interested destination. A lot of teams might consider a coaching change if they're a first-round out in the playoffs.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,408

Post#1364 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Yep. It's interesting that he took the Nets job when he's one of the hotter names on the coaching market right now. Maybe he's looking at the Nets and seeing that they don't have immediate hopes for contention and that'll give him some job security, as opposed to someplace like Cleveland where we might end up changing coaches like dirty laundry the next few years if things don't work out.

I mean, the Cavs wouldn't be the only other interested destination. A lot of teams might consider a coaching change if they're a first-round out in the playoffs.

The Nets isn't a bad opportunity and we could likely play the same game with other teams; certainly with the Bucks if they fire Doc Rivers.

On the other hand, we may be in great position if we want to re-tread one of those soon to be fired playoff coaches .... maybe Ty Lue will return to steal some more of Dan Gilbert's millions?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#1365 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Nets isn't a bad opportunity and we could likely play the same game with other teams; certainly with the Bucks if they fire Doc Rivers.

On the other hand, we may be in great position if we want to re-tread one of those soon to be fired playoff coaches .... maybe Ty Lue will return to steal some more of Dan Gilbert's millions?
Please no Ty Lue, that guy was awful.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,234

Post#1366 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:55 pm

Hauser and Pritchard are murdering the Heat off the bench right now. Assuming we get to the second round, we desperately need Wade back for that series.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1367 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:12 pm

You know who looks really overrated to me, JJJ. Tatum is legitimately skilled, but you've got fans grossly inflating the trade values of guys like Kuminga, JJJ, and even Frantz Wagner based largely on prototypical SF size without regard to shooting ability. I get there's a scarcity issue around the league, but none of those guys should be top 3 options offensively and I suspect all of them get overpaid when they come of their rookie contracts.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1368 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:28 pm

Yeah, I'm watching a little of this Celtics game 1. The amount of 3s they hit and all the screens and slip screens and back screens, looks like it would be a very tiresome series.

That's before mentioning all the perimeter defense they possess.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1369 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:49 pm

I stayed up and watched that OKC/Pels game and it's probably too late to get Murphy from the Pelicans. He had a couple young player moments, but he's the only young SF I see with star potential in the NBA right now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1370 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I stayed up and watched that OKC/Pels game and it's probably too late to get Murphy from the Pelicans. He had a couple young player moments, but he's the only young SF I see with star potential in the NBA right now.
Well, especially when Val goes for 20 rebounds they're probably in no hurry to bring in a new center.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1371 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:10 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I stayed up and watched that OKC/Pels game and it's probably too late to get Murphy from the Pelicans. He had a couple young player moments, but he's the only young SF I see with star potential in the NBA right now.
Well, especially when Val goes for 20 rebounds they're probably in no hurry to bring in a new center.

That's with Chet on the other side.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1372 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

I'm watching some of this 76ers and Knicks game 4 and i can't help but notice that jb wouldn't play most of the guys on the 76ers.

jb is clearly the Cavs issue.

Guys like Batum, Lowry, Payne, Oubre would be glued to jb's bench yet are playing huge minutes (outside of Payne) for the 76ers.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 870

Post#1373 » by ijspeelman » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:I'm watching some of this 76ers and Knicks game 4 and i can't help but notice that jb wouldn't play most of the guys on the 76ers.

Guys like Batum, Lowry, Payne, Oubre would be glued to jb's bench yet are playing huge minutes (outside of Payne) for the 76ers.

6ers only played 9 guys so if JB was the coach I assume Payne's minutes would have been diverted to the rest of the bench
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1374 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:I'm watching some of this 76ers and Knicks game 4 and i can't help but notice that jb wouldn't play most of the guys on the 76ers.

Tatum and Oubre would get minutes, not sure about Payne, and Lowry shouldn't be playing that much at this stage in his career. Worth keeping in mind that the Sixers lost that series 4-1. The Suns who are top heavy got swept.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1375 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Tatum and Oubre would get minutes, not sure about Payne, and Lowry shouldn't be playing that much at this stage in his career. Worth keeping in mind that the Sixers lost that series 4-1. The Suns who are top heavy got swept.
Dang u got a crystal ball jbk? If you do, give me the Powerball numbers lol

Neither of those series are over just yet.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers