ImageImageImage

Nòmades D'en Ricky. The Grey Havens.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,411

Re: Nòmades D'en Ricky. The Grey Havens. 

Post#321 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:57 pm

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,460

Post#322 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1620359/ricky-rubio-fc-barcelona-training-announcement/

Rubio has continued his basketball career.

Sort of, he's going to train with the team for now.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#323 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1620359/ricky-rubio-fc-barcelona-training-announcement/

Either way, I probably woulda asked if he coulda waited 1 month to retire, to use his contract in a trade, then if not, just buy him out anyway.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#324 » by ijspeelman » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:10 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Either way, I probably woulda asked if he coulda waited 1 month to retire, to use his contract in a trade, then if not, just buy him out anyway.

Much too touchy of a subject. I assume if there was a trade out there, it would have happened. I doubt Rubio was the one pushing for the buy-out
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#325 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:34 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Much too touchy of a subject. I assume if there was a trade out there, it would have happened. I doubt Rubio was the one pushing for the buy-out
The timing is just weird and now he's already with another club, makes me feel like it was his side pushing for the buyout. Given how Jeff Schwartz clients have exited the Cavs the previous few seasons... Love, Drummond, and to a lesser extent Zizic.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#326 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:05 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Either way, I probably woulda asked if he coulda waited 1 month to retire, to use his contract in a trade, then if not, just buy him out anyway.

The timing is just weird and now he's already with another club, makes me feel like it was his side pushing for the buyout. Given how Jeff Schwartz clients have exited the Cavs the previous few seasons... Love, Drummond, and to a lesser extent Zizic.

Zizic? Or did you mean Hartenstein?

Regardless... we don't know what's going on with Ricky, but it's clear he wants or needs to be closer to home. If he signs with the Heat in a couple of weeks, feel free to vent.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#327 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Regardless... we don't know what's going on with Ricky, but it's clear he wants or needs to be closer to home. If he signs with the Heat in a couple of weeks, feel free to vent.
No i meant Zizic who went and signed overseas before it was even free agency.

Not a huge loss but it's still like c'mon bro 22 teams are still currently competing.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#328 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:01 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The timing is just weird and now he's already with another club, makes me feel like it was his side pushing for the buyout. Given how Jeff Schwartz clients have exited the Cavs the previous few seasons... Love, Drummond, and to a lesser extent Zizic.

Not a huge loss but it's still like c'mon bro 22 teams are still currently competing.

The reports say he turned down a contract option, became unrestricted, and then signed with Maccabi.

If the Cavs didn't bother to use their rights to keep him under his rookie contract as a favor to him and/or his agent, they were doing a favor to themselves too.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#329 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The reports say he turned down a contract option, became unrestricted, and then signed with Maccabi.

If the Cavs didn't bother to use their rights to keep him under his rookie contract as a favor to him and/or his agent, they were doing a favor to themselves too.

How could they negotiate anything? He left August 25th 2020 and signed a 2 year deal overseas... The bubble didn't even conclude until October 11th... Free agency started November 20th.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,553

Post#330 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:47 am

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

This. I imagine the conversation went something along the lines of we're done treating this as an excused absence.

In any event, I wish Rubio the best.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#331 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:13 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:No i meant Zizic who went and signed overseas before it was even free agency.

How could they negotiate anything? He left August 25th 2020 and signed a 2 year deal overseas... The bubble didn't even conclude until October 11th... Free agency started November 20th.

What was there to negotiate? He was on a rookie deal. If we didn't pick up his option he was free to turn down his option and go find work elsewhere.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#332 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:48 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

What was there to negotiate? He was on a rookie deal. If we didn't pick up his option he was free to turn down his option and go find work elsewhere.

He didn't have an option. He was under contract until October 11th...

Anyway, idc this is the Rubio thread you still have the Love and Drummond examples.

I've come to the conclusion i could say the sky is blue and the grass is green and you would find something to nitpick about, smfh.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#333 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:02 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:How could they negotiate anything? He left August 25th 2020 and signed a 2 year deal overseas... The bubble didn't even conclude until October 11th... Free agency started November 20th.

Anyway, idc this is the Rubio thread you still have the Love and Drummond examples.

I've come to the conclusion i could say the sky is blue and the grass is green and you would find something to nitpick about, smfh.

Nah, its just hard to understand your point sometimes and your explanations do not help always help. If a Google search was able to easily explain it, I wouldn't bother you.

I mean this is pretty basic ... teams control first round picks for minimally 5 seasons. Zizic couldn't just leave. The NBA and Euroleague don't steal players under contract. Zizic had to have been a UFA as reported and that means we didn't bother to pick up his option.

He could have waited around to talk to the Cavs and other NBA teams, but he got an offer he liked. Only you know what you thought was strange about that.

The Hartenstein situation, otoh, was much more like your other examples, but if you'd prefer to discuss grass and sky colors - I'm game.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#334 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:19 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Nah, its just hard to understand your point sometimes and your explanations do not help always help. If a Google search was able to easily explain it, I wouldn't bother you.

I mean this is pretty basic ... teams control first round picks for minimally 5 seasons. Zizic couldn't just leave. The NBA and Euroleague don't steal players under contract. Zizic had to have been a UFA as reported and that means we didn't bother to pick up his option.

He could have waited around to talk to the Cavs and other NBA teams, but he got an offer he liked. Only you know what you thought was strange about that.

The Hartenstein situation, otoh, was much more like your other examples, but if you'd prefer to discuss grass and sky colors - I'm game.
Hartenstien is not repped by Schwartz. I could bring up Boozer too but in the context of Rubio, Drummond, and Love all leaving on suspicious circumstances very close together with one shared agent between them, that doesn't make very much logical sense, now does it Jon?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#335 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:17 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:He didn't have an option. He was under contract until October 11th...

Hartenstien is not repped by Schwartz. I could bring up Boozer too but in the context of Rubio, Drummond, and Love all leaving on suspicious circumstances very close together with one shared agent between them, that doesn't make very much logical sense, now does it Jon?

All depends which part of your point you were emphasizing. Shenanigans between the Cavs and agents or Schwartz specifically.

Personally, I wouldn't have found the former anywhere near as confusing and letting Hartenstein go is even a mistake the team we just faced repeated. So it's even topical.

Boozer is a much heavier lift to make relevant given those shenanigans not only happened with a different agent, but a different GM, a different owner, and a different league.

In other words, I think I'm helping you support your argument even if I can't convince you of it. :lol:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#336 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:54 am

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#337 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:54 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1624774/barcelona-signs-ricky-rubio-euroleague/

It's official.

Officially keeping their options open:

"Rubio, 33, has not committed to playing for Barca."

Admittedly, it's a bad look that the Cavs should be asked to pay a player to play for another team if that's how this works out.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#338 » by ijspeelman » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1624774/barcelona-signs-ricky-rubio-euroleague/

It's official.

Admittedly, it's a bad look that the Cavs should be asked to pay a player to play for another team if that's how this works out.

I'll come spinning a positive angle and just say that I am glad he is close to family and feeling better. Its a messy situation that we can forgot about next year when he is off the books
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#339 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:03 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

It's official.

I'll come spinning a positive angle and just say that I am glad he is close to family and feeling better. Its a messy situation that we can forgot about next year when he is off the books

That's certainly how the Cavs see it ... but it's harder as a fan to understand throwing away millions of dollars as an investment in future good will.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,724

Post#340 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:14 am

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

That's certainly how the Cavs see it ... but it's harder as a fan to understand throwing away millions of dollars as an investment in future good will.

I mean, he gave so much back that he's pretty much just giving his agent and manager their cuts.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers