JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,089

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1621 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 pm

axeman23 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
That ship may have sailed unless Bronny starts showing something at USC that makes him draftable.
Man, Cavs used 1st round picks on Windler and KPJ under this regime.

And the franchise as a whole has used 1st rounders on Anthony Bennett, Luke Jackson, Karasev, Eyenga, Diop, and Trajan Langdon.

I think the Cavs will be quite alright drafting junior if he gives even a slight increase in the odds of seeing a 3rd LeBron stint.

So many years where the draft was either the highlight of our year, or we were shopping for Lebron's running-mate/another piece to the puzzle, and almost perpetual disappointment...

Me, every draft day:

I was so excited for the 2012 draft, to only come away with Waiters and Zeller was disappointing. I actually did end up getting both their autographs though lol
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,093

Post#1622 » by axeman23 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:04 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
axeman23 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Man, Cavs used 1st round picks on Windler and KPJ under this regime.

And the franchise as a whole has used 1st rounders on Anthony Bennett, Luke Jackson, Karasev, Eyenga, Diop, and Trajan Langdon.

I think the Cavs will be quite alright drafting junior if he gives even a slight increase in the odds of seeing a 3rd LeBron stint.

So many years where the draft was either the highlight of our year, or we were shopping for Lebron's running-mate/another piece to the puzzle, and almost perpetual disappointment...

Me, every draft day:

I was so excited for the 2012 draft, to only come away with Waiters and Zeller was disappointing. I actually did end up getting both their autographs though lol

To think Lillard went 2 picks later... :banghead: haha

Edit: And yes, I realise many teams have their moments they regret in the draft, but Cleveland just seems to have known how to make a bad read over the years, to do it so consistently. Oh, well. Onwards and upwards! :thumbsup:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1623 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:21 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
I doubt he (or LeBron) wants his professional career to be that guy who sits on the bench and cheers for his Dad.

If he can't establish himself, he should get an education and enjoy his college days.
Bronny is already a millionaire, his net worth is $10.5 million. He has no need for a college degree.

If his dad wants him to enter the draft, he will. If he's sitting there when the Cavs are on the clock, it would be a wise selection.

Just throwing this out there, Grant Gilbert and Bronny James have a solid relationship. If he legit enjoys basketball, it’s not unreasonable for a start to his career with the Cavs.

I also think that if LeBron is going to dip into ownership, Cavs are an obvious choice considering his roots and the mantle turning over from Dan to Grant.

Bronny may or may not be a NBA caliber talent. I have no idea. I also have no problem burning a 2nd round pick outside of top-40 on relationships. A first, even a late one, needs justifiable talent. Which he may or may not have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just doubt he falls to the late 1st round if he decides to leave college, unfortunately.

I think he for sure is a 1st rounder, on name alone. Everyone knows drafting Bronny at minimum ups their chances to have senior join their franchise.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#1624 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:08 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
axeman23 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Man, Cavs used 1st round picks on Windler and KPJ under this regime.

Me, every draft day:

2012 was painful. I wanted Harrison Barnes so bad at 4, Waiters, Waiters, really? If he’s the next Wade, why wasn’t he starting? When the deal was coming for the Dallas pick, I just knew it was Sullinger and then it came in Tyler Zeller and I was like who? I was thinking Sullinger, Melo, Ezeli.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Post#1625 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
axeman23 wrote:

Me, every draft day:

2012 was painful. I wanted Harrison Barnes so bad at 4, Waiters, Waiters, really? If he’s the next Wade, why wasn’t he starting? When the deal was coming for the Dallas pick, I just knew it was Sullinger and then it came in Tyler Zeller and I was like who? I was thinking Sullinger, Melo, Ezeli.

I felt like 2012 had a lot of misses in it. Dame was the only player still on the board who did anything of note and we still had Kyrie. Make no mistake about it, if we drafted a meh journeyman in Barnes No. 4 overall, fans still would've complained.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1626 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:36 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
axeman23 wrote:

Me, every draft day:

Barnes woulda been great. Not even working out Waiters then drafting him was wild. Guy had such a huge ego, wanted to outshine Kyrie. I remember when they traded for Love and LeBron signed back, he said they weren't a big 3, they were a big 4 lmao
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#1627 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:38 pm

I thought Waiters was an interesting pick because he had that dog in him. Apparently that dog in him was ironically his demise...
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1628 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:49 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I thought Waiters was an interesting pick because he had that dog in him. Apparently that dog in him was ironically his demise...
For where he came from... An 8 year NBA career, a NBA title, and $67.5 million is pretty good.

But yeah, he probably coulda had a longer stay in the NBA if he didn't allow the chip on his shoulder to become a boulder.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#1629 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:07 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I doubt he (or LeBron) wants his professional career to be that guy who sits on the bench and cheers for his Dad.

If he can't establish himself, he should get an education and enjoy his college days.
Bronny is already a millionaire, his net worth is $10.5 million. He has no need for a college degree.

If his dad wants him to enter the draft, he will. If he's sitting there when the Cavs are on the clock, it would be a wise selection.

Establishing a future career and paycheck is only one goal of going to College.

If his college career ends with the same 5 & 2 on 36%/24% as now, I'd fully expect him to go un-drafted especially after what his Dad said last about his goal of playing with him.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1630 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:14 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If his college career ends with the same 5 & 2 on 36%/24% as now, I'd fully expect him to go un-drafted especially after what his Dad said last about his goal of playing with him.

I have 2 degrees, so you're preaching to the choir. Sure it makes ya more well rounded as a human but when you're a millionaire, that doesn't truly matter. Yeah you can party it up and live the college lifestyle, again, when you're a millionaire, you can do that well into your 40s, if you desire.

Idc how terrible the kid's stats are, if his name is in the draft, someone will burn a pick to lock him up for 2 years, it's an easy gamble. Late 1sts are already gambles look at Windler and KPJ. The only difference is this gamble could potetinally bring the GOAT to your franchise for a 3rd time, well worth it.

As jbk pointed out Cavs are stockpiled on young talent in the pipeline, they have it coming outta their ears.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1631 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:14 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I thought Waiters was an interesting pick because he had that dog in him. Apparently that dog in him was ironically his demise...

I always suspected there was a reason Boeheim was starting freshmen over Dion that we just chose to ignore.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1632 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:25 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Bronny is already a millionaire, his net worth is $10.5 million. He has no need for a college degree.

I have 2 degrees, so you're preaching to the choir. Sure it makes ya more well rounded as a human but when you're a millionaire, that doesn't truly matter. Yeah you can party it up and live the college lifestyle, again, when you're a millionaire, you can do that well into your 40s, if you desire.

Idc how terrible the kid's stats are, if his name is in the draft, someone will burn a pick to lock him up for 2 years, it's an easy gamble. Late 1sts are already gambles look at Windler and KPJ. The only difference is this gamble could potetinally bring the GOAT to your franchise for a 3rd time, well worth it.

As jbk pointed out Cavs are stockpiled on young talent in the pipeline, they have it coming outta their ears.

Blowing your Daddy's fortune isn't a career and the true value of College is to help young people learn how to think about problems, overcome them, and work with others on a common goal. They aren't supposed to be degree factories, but specific colleges do have different focuses and some literally are degree factories.

Hopefully Bronny is free to follow whatever he loves, but even if that's basketball, there's a lot more to it than shooting a ball in the rim and for him ... managing wealth is always going to be a biggy even if the topic doesn't excite him.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1633 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Blowing your Daddy's fortune isn't a career and the true value of College is to help young people learn how to think about problems, overcome them, and work with others on a common goal. They aren't supposed to be degree factories, but specific colleges do have different focuses and some literally are degree factories.

Hopefully Bronny is free to follow whatever he loves, but even if that's basketball, there's a lot more to it than shooting a ball in the rim and for him ... managing wealth is always going to be a biggy even if the topic doesn't excite him.

He doesn't have to blow daddy's fortune, Bronny has $10 million of his own. He never has to work a day in his life.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1634 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:32 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I have 2 degrees, so you're preaching to the choir. Sure it makes ya more well rounded as a human but when you're a millionaire, that doesn't truly matter. Yeah you can party it up and live the college lifestyle, again, when you're a millionaire, you can do that well into your 40s, if you desire.

He doesn't have to blow daddy's fortune, Bronny has $10 million of his own. He never has to work a day in his life.

Sure, he could. He could also lose it all in pretty short order if he doesn't learn how to manage it let alone grow it.

So again, even if it's not his passion he should learn something about managing wealth and then having something rewarding to do besides spending Daddy's money is something a lot of people find fulfilling.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1635 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, he could. He could also lose it all in pretty short order if he doesn't learn how to manage it let alone grow it.

So again, even if it's not his passion he should learn something about managing wealth and then having something rewarding to do besides spending Daddy's money is something a lot of people find fulfilling.
His dad is a billionaire, I'm sure he will be connected with the proper resources to grow the $10 million.

Also, he's just going to continue to sign endorsement deals.

All of it is moot, if the guy enters his name in the draft, he's a 1st round pick, is the only point I'm making.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1636 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:39 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

His dad is a billionaire, I'm sure he will be connected with the proper resources to grow the $10 million.

All of it is moot, if the guy enters his name in the draft, he's a 1st round pick, is the only point I'm making.

And like I've said he a) if he's smart he won't enter the draft until he's ready, and b) if he doesn't improve, I doubt he's drafted.

I suppose we shall see, but I remind you ... LeBron backed down from the suggestion that he was willing to just go sign with whatever team signs his Son.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#1637 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:38 am

JonFromVA wrote:

I always suspected there was a reason Boeheim was starting freshmen over Dion that we just chose to ignore.

Well at least we're not Detroit!
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#1638 » by toooskies » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:26 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

And like I've said he a) if he's smart he won't enter the draft until he's ready, and b) if he doesn't improve, I doubt he's drafted.

I suppose we shall see, but I remind you ... LeBron backed down from the suggestion that he was willing to just go sign with whatever team signs his Son.

Yep. Probably because it'd be damaging to his son's career to make it entirely dependent on his father.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#1639 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Not being a regular Cavs watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Looks to me like Mitchell is ready to run the team without sharing point guard duties with Garland. The Cavs have a plus 12.6/game with Mitchell on the floor during this recent 18 game stretch playing without Garland. I am skeptical that the undersized Mitchell/Garland starting backcourt, who fare pretty well playing together during the regular season, are a winning backcourt in the playoffs when defense becomes a big factor. JMO.

With Beasely as the primary defender, he is, but if the other team assigns OG or Derrick White to him, or if the other team doubles him to get the ball out of his hands, it starts to look very different. If Mitchell extends, and if the Cavs were to trade Garland for a two-way wing, then that two-way wing better have the ability to run an offense.

JonFromVA wrote:If anything this stretch points to the value of the redundancy of Mitchell/Garland and Allen/Mobley ... because just imagine 2 of them were traded and then 2 of them got hurt.

Redundancy is a nice, regular season luxury, but having a pair of your redundants be the two highest paid players on the team and eat up 41% of the payroll is not a championship formula imo. (Maybe I will have to eat my words. Lol.) As soon as Mitchell signs an extension, I would expect the Cavs to trade Garland for more complimentary player(s).

Mitchell continues to take his game to higher levels. During this latest stretch without Garland, Mitchell averaged 28 ppg with 7.9 ast, 4.9 rebs, 1.9 stl , 2.9 tovs and 16.6 netrtg while the Cavs went 12-3. His season stats are better than Dame's, and better than Garland's, especially on advanced stats. Mitchell should have got the start over Dame this All Star game. I don't doubt OG can give Mitchell some trouble, or the combination of White and Holiday, but those guys can make life difficult for almost every starting point guard.

Mitchell v Dame
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=lillada01
Mitchell v Garland
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=garlada01
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Post#1640 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:58 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Not being a regular Cavs watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Looks to me like Mitchell is ready to run the team without sharing point guard duties with Garland. The Cavs have a plus 12.6/game with Mitchell on the floor during this recent 18 game stretch playing without Garland. I am skeptical that the undersized Mitchell/Garland starting backcourt, who fare pretty well playing together during the regular season, are a winning backcourt in the playoffs when defense becomes a big factor. JMO.

With Beasely as the primary defender, he is, but if the other team assigns OG or Derrick White to him, or if the other team doubles him to get the ball out of his hands, it starts to look very different. If Mitchell extends, and if the Cavs were to trade Garland for a two-way wing, then that two-way wing better have the ability to run an offense.

JonFromVA wrote:If anything this stretch points to the value of the redundancy of Mitchell/Garland and Allen/Mobley ... because just imagine 2 of them were traded and then 2 of them got hurt.

Redundancy is a nice, regular season luxury, but having a pair of your redundants be the two highest paid players on the team and eat up 41% of the payroll is not a championship formula imo. (Maybe I will have to eat my words. Lol.) As soon a Mitchell signs an extension, I would expect the Cavs to trade Garland for more complimentary player(s).

Mitchell continues to take his game to higher levels. During this latest stretch without Garland, Mitchell averaged 28 ppg with 7.9 ast, 4.9 rebs, 1.9 stl , 2.9 tovs and 16.6 netrtg while the Cavs went 12-3. His season stats are better than Dame's this season, and better than Garland's, especially on advanced stats. Mitchell should have got the start over Dame this All Star game. I don't doubt OG can give Mitchell some trouble, or the combination of White and Holiday, but those guys can make life difficult for almost every starting point guard.

Mitchell v Dame
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=lillada01
Mitchell v Garland
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=garlada01

I don't know what's so hard to get about the idea that organization wants more than a single playoff series sample size, against the worse matchup we could draw, before it makes any franchise altering decisions, especially with Mitchell being a flight risk. Trading Garland now is not something the will, or should, even consider.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers