Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1641 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
With Beasely as the primary defender, he is, but if the other team assigns OG or Derrick White to him, or if the other team doubles him to get the ball out of his hands, it starts to look very different. If Mitchell extends, and if the Cavs were to trade Garland for a two-way wing, then that two-way wing better have the ability to run an offense.

JonFromVA wrote:If anything this stretch points to the value of the redundancy of Mitchell/Garland and Allen/Mobley ... because just imagine 2 of them were traded and then 2 of them got hurt.

Redundancy is a nice, regular season luxury, but having a pair of your redundants be the two highest paid players on the team and eat up 41% of the payroll is not a championship formula imo. (Maybe I will have to eat my words. Lol.) As soon as Mitchell signs an extension, I would expect the Cavs to trade Garland for more complimentary player(s).

Mitchell continues to take his game to higher levels. During this latest stretch without Garland, Mitchell averaged 28 ppg with 7.9 ast, 4.9 rebs, 1.9 stl , 2.9 tovs and 16.6 netrtg while the Cavs went 12-3. His season stats are better than Dame's, and better than Garland's, especially on advanced stats. Mitchell should have got the start over Dame this All Star game. I don't doubt OG can give Mitchell some trouble, or the combination of White and Holiday, but those guys can make life difficult for almost every starting point guard.

Mitchell v Dame
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=lillada01
Mitchell v Garland
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=garlada01

I don't know what's so hard to get about the idea that organization wants more than a single playoff series sample size, against the worse matchup we could draw, before it makes any franchise altering decisions, especially with Mitchell being a flight risk. Trading Garland now is not something the will, or should, even consider.

Well I did say "As soon as Mitchell signs an extension....".
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Post#1642 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:09 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Not being a regular Cavs watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Looks to me like Mitchell is ready to run the team without sharing point guard duties with Garland. The Cavs have a plus 12.6/game with Mitchell on the floor during this recent 18 game stretch playing without Garland. I am skeptical that the undersized Mitchell/Garland starting backcourt, who fare pretty well playing together during the regular season, are a winning backcourt in the playoffs when defense becomes a big factor. JMO.

With Beasely as the primary defender, he is, but if the other team assigns OG or Derrick White to him, or if the other team doubles him to get the ball out of his hands, it starts to look very different. If Mitchell extends, and if the Cavs were to trade Garland for a two-way wing, then that two-way wing better have the ability to run an offense.

JonFromVA wrote:If anything this stretch points to the value of the redundancy of Mitchell/Garland and Allen/Mobley ... because just imagine 2 of them were traded and then 2 of them got hurt.

Redundancy is a nice, regular season luxury, but having a pair of your redundants be the two highest paid players on the team and eat up 41% of the payroll is not a championship formula imo. (Maybe I will have to eat my words. Lol.) As soon a Mitchell signs an extension, I would expect the Cavs to trade Garland for more complimentary player(s).

Mitchell continues to take his game to higher levels. During this latest stretch without Garland, Mitchell averaged 28 ppg with 7.9 ast, 4.9 rebs, 1.9 stl , 2.9 tovs and 16.6 netrtg while the Cavs went 12-3. His season stats are better than Dame's this season, and better than Garland's, especially on advanced stats. Mitchell should have got the start over Dame this All Star game. I don't doubt OG can give Mitchell some trouble, or the combination of White and Holiday, but those guys can make life difficult for almost every starting point guard.

Mitchell v Dame
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=lillada01
Mitchell v Garland
https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2024&year_max=2024&player_id1=mitchdo01&player_id2=garlada01

I don't know what's so hard to get about the idea that organization wants more than a single playoff series sample size, against the worse matchup we could draw, before it makes any franchise altering decisions, especially with Mitchell being a flight risk. Trading Garland now is not something they will, or should, even consider.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1643 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:00 pm

I see I'm going to have to take another self-imposed break from the T&T board again. I understand the impulse to get the Cavs to breakup their core 4, and I get that other teams would like them to do it now, but instead of proposing a trade with the premium necessary for the Cavs F.O. to even consider something so foolish, it's worse value than what they'd get this summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#1644 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:11 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Not being a regular Cavs watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Looks to me like Mitchell is ready to run the team without sharing point guard duties with Garland. The Cavs have a plus 12.6/game with Mitchell on the floor during this recent 18 game stretch playing without Garland. I am skeptical that the undersized Mitchell/Garland starting backcourt, who fare pretty well playing together during the regular season, are a winning backcourt in the playoffs when defense becomes a big factor. JMO.

Redundancy is a nice, regular season luxury, but having a pair of your redundants be the two highest paid players on the team and eat up 41% of the payroll is not a championship formula imo. (Maybe I will have to eat my words. Lol.) As soon as Mitchell signs an extension, I would expect the Cavs to trade Garland for more complimentary player(s).

Mitchell continues to take his game to higher levels. During this latest stretch without Garland, Mitchell averaged 28 ppg with 7.9 ast, 4.9 rebs, 1.9 stl , 2.9 tovs and 16.6 netrtg while the Cavs went 12-3. His season stats are better than Dame's, and better than Garland's, especially on advanced stats. Mitchell should have got the start over Dame this All Star game. I don't doubt OG can give Mitchell some trouble, or the combination of White and Holiday, but those guys can make life difficult for almost every starting point guard.

Mitchell v Dame
Mitchell v Garland

Oh, you're not alone in that opinion, but we've seen both Garland and Mitchell as a one-man show get shutdown when they run in to a team with capable enough defenders or even simply go cold.

Also injuries are always a concern. If for instance Mitchell was to hurt his hand and couldn't make his 3pters, defenders will sag off him and have better success defending his drives. So, what does your offense do then?

He can move the ball, but if the defense is any good that won't trick them. Someone else had better be able to initiate and/or create offense.

Would it be better if that someone was 6'8" (or taller) and could also pass, shoot, finish, and break down a defender? Sure, but there's nothing on our roster we can trade for a player that does that. In the meantime, we have guys like LeVert, Wade, and Okoro who provide some of those aspects, but perhaps more importantly provide some defense against those guys. In addition, while Mobley is a long ways from being an All-Star SF on offense, he can certainly help defend them. Also Allen has been defending in space a lot this season, not always successfully but that comes down to the %'s than outright shutting someone down.

Not to mention, but 48+ minutes of elite creation and rim protection is not a redundancy, it's a luxury only the deepest teams can simulate.

So, while we're all looking for a championship formula, it's easier said than done when it comes to finding one. If you look closely at what got the Nuggets and Heat to the finals, I'd point to things like health, coaching, continuity, and a fair bit of luck.

For instance, feel free to compare the TS%'s of some of those Heat players who were knocking shots down left and right in the playoffs .vs. how they're doing so far this season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1645 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I see I'm going to have to take another self-imposed break from the T&T board again. I understand the impulse to get the Cavs to breakup their core 4, and I get that other teams would like them to do it now, but instead of proposing a trade with the premium necessary for the Cavs F.O. to even consider something so foolish, it's worse value than what they'd get this summer.

Predictable with the trade deadline approaching.

Did anyone manage to propose the OG or Siakim trades that eventually went down?

I remember a whole lot of proposals flying around, but as far as I know neither player has extended with their new team; and the Cavs have to be careful about even if the player/agent care are willing to give positive indications.
dowhatnow
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1646 » by dowhatnow » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:53 am

Are the Cavs able to include their 2024 1st round pick in potential trade proposals before the trade deadline?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1647 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:02 am

dowhatnow wrote:Are the Cavs able to include their 2024 1st round pick in potential trade proposals before the trade deadline?

No.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,089

Post#1648 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:02 am

dowhatnow wrote:Are the Cavs able to include their 2024 1st round pick in potential trade proposals before the trade deadline?
They could do it as a swap but as things currently sit, it would be pick #25. This is allegedly a "weak" draft too, so not sure it holds any value.
dowhatnow
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1649 » by dowhatnow » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:27 am

Thanks guys. I was just curious after reading the report that said the Hornets were looking for a young prospect and a 1st round pick for Miles Bridges. Since he has veto power he has say in which team he could get dealt to. Would Emoni Bates, salary to make the trade work, and 1 or 2 future 2nd round pick be enticing enough to get Charlotte interested? And how do you think Bridges would do on this red hot Cavs team?
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 859

Post#1650 » by ijspeelman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:56 pm

dowhatnow wrote:Thanks guys. I was just curious after reading the report that said the Hornets were looking for a young prospect and a 1st round pick for Miles Bridges. Since he has veto power he has say in which team he could get dealt to. Would Emoni Bates, salary to make the trade work, and 1 or 2 future 2nd round pick be enticing enough to get Charlotte interested? And how do you think Bridges would do on this red hot Cavs team?

Fairly positive that the Cavs would stay away from a vilified Miles Bridges.

From a basketball point of view, he's a more versatile wing than we currently have so he could be used in a lot of our sets as a Dean Wade or LeVert. He's about a league average three-point shooter hitting about 37% on his C&S opportunities over his last two played seasons.

I haven't watched Charlotte that much to know what his defense looks like nowadays. His on/off numbers these past two played seasons paint him as a negative defender which I would tend to believe knowing that Charlotte isn't that deep.

If Cleveland were to trade for him, I'd be upset if they traded for Miles for all the off-court baggage despite his probable low price high reward
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1651 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:06 pm

dowhatnow wrote:Thanks guys. I was just curious after reading the report that said the Hornets were looking for a young prospect and a 1st round pick for Miles Bridges. Since he has veto power he has say in which team he could get dealt to. Would Emoni Bates, salary to make the trade work, and 1 or 2 future 2nd round pick be enticing enough to get Charlotte interested? And how do you think Bridges would do on this red hot Cavs team?

He has veto rights because he'll lose Bird Rights in any trade. He's got to go to a team that will have cap space next summer. Among all the other reasons for the Cavs not to trade for Bridges, they'll be well over the cap next summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
HopsandBarley
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#1652 » by HopsandBarley » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:17 pm

Celtics fan here. Would Niang be available in trade? If so is there anything on the Celtics that would work?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1653 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:23 pm

The Cavs are going to be very careful with messing with team chemistry (which is not to say Bridges is a problem in the locker-room), but any outside distractions count too. The Cavs were interested in PJ Washington last Summer, though.

It's not perfect, but the Cavs have a lot of options when healthy because guys like Wade, Okoro, and LeVert have stepped up their shooting, and our shooters like Niang, Strus, and Merrill are trying hard to contribute in other areas.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1654 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:24 pm

HopsandBarley wrote:Celtics fan here. Would Niang be available in trade? If so is there anything on the Celtics that would work?

I doubt he'd be available for anything reasonable. He was a free agent target who is working out and fill several needs. In addition, I wouldn't want to see him on the Celtics roster in the playoffs
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1655 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:28 pm

HopsandBarley wrote:Celtics fan here. Would Niang be available in trade? If so is there anything on the Celtics that would work?

You guys need more shooting?!? :-o

IMO, it's going to be hard to pry Niang free as long as Mitchell is here.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1656 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:55 am

I believe they will stand pat on Thursday.Image
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1657 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:27 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:I believe they will stand pat on Thursday.Image

I really hope we don't trade Okoro for like Royce O'Neale or some b-level asset. Anything short of DFS will be really disappointing.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1658 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:45 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I believe they will stand pat on Thursday.Image

I really hope we don't trade Okoro for like Royce O'Neale or some b-level asset. Anything short of DFS will be really disappointing.
Sounds like the Nets still want a bunch for DFS. Cavs just gotta stay healthy between now and the playoffs. Obviously have to fill spots 14 and 15 but i doubt those guys will play.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#1659 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:36 am

Okoro might be the most likely to move because he could put us into the tax if we try to keep him next year.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#1660 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:54 am

Okoro + ? = Caruso?
Well at least we're not Detroit!

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers