ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,687

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1601 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Not being a regular Cavs' watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like the move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Looks to me like Mitchell is ready to run the team without sharing point guard duties with Garland. The Cavs have a plus 12.6/game with Mitchell on the floor during this recent 18 game stretch playing without Garland. I am skeptical that the undersized Mitchell/Garland starting backcourt, who fare pretty well playing together during the regular season, are a winning backcourt in the playoffs when defense becomes a big factor. JMO.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,382

Post#1602 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Not being a regular Cavs watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Looks to me like Mitchell is ready to run the team without sharing point guard duties with Garland. The Cavs have a plus 12.6/game with Mitchell on the floor during this recent 18 game stretch playing without Garland. I am skeptical that the undersized Mitchell/Garland starting backcourt, who fare pretty well playing together during the regular season, are a winning backcourt in the playoffs when defense becomes a big factor. JMO.

With Beasely as the primary defender, he is, but if the other team assigns OG or Derrick White to him, or if the other team doubles him to get the ball out of his hands, it starts to look very different. If Mitchell extends, and if the Cavs were to trade Garland for a two-way wing, then that two-way wing better have the ability to run an offense.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,423

Post#1603 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:22 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Not being a regular Cavs watcher, I've probably got the Cavs all wrong, but were it not for your worry about whether Mitchell will re-sign, it seems like move would be to trade Garland for a good, two-way guard/small forward.

Garland has also compiled some gaudy numbers with and without Mitchell, at least when healthy.

If anything this stretch points to the value of the redundancy of Mitchell/Garland and Allen/Mobley ... because just imagine 2 of them were traded and then 2 of them got hurt.

Also we've been back filling that 3&d role pretty well and this stretch has helped our coach discover depth he didn't seem to realize he had.

Mitchell has been very good running the show as he was last season. It's a strength not a weakness. They just need to cut down on the my turn your turn stuff and embrace the ball movement and shooting.

If it turns out the players don't like it, well, that's another matter but we're not trading Garland without knowing what Don is going to do.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#1604 » by axeman23 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:43 pm

I know the draft is a long way away, but I'd LOVE to get my hands on Risacher! For me, I think he could be the final piece needed. Similar to Giddey for me, but I know a lot of people have strong opinions about that at the moment...
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,266

Post#1605 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:57 pm

axeman23 wrote:I know the draft is a long way away, but I'd LOVE to get my hands on Risacher! For me, I think he could be the final piece needed. Similar to Giddey for me, but I know a lot of people have strong opinions about that at the moment...
He's projected to go top 5, i believe. Cavs will be picking in the mid to late 20s, currently.
axeman23
Analyst

Post#1606 » by axeman23 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:09 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
axeman23 wrote:I know the draft is a long way away, but I'd LOVE to get my hands on Risacher! For me, I think he could be the final piece needed. Similar to Giddey for me, but I know a lot of people have strong opinions about that at the moment...
He's projected to go top 5, i believe. Cavs will be picking in the mid to late 20s, currently.

Yeah, I guess it depends on who ends up with the pick,/ what they'd be willing to do with it, etc... MAYBE a Brooklyn deal involving DM? :dontknow:
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,687

Post#1607 » by toooskies » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:51 pm

I haven't done a ton of draft research yet but I have an eye on PJ Hall and Tristan DaSilva.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1608 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:45 pm

I wouldn't mind trading that pick for future draft capital. We have a number of young guys already on the roster. We have Bates, Nance, and guys oversea. Maybe if they get a sense that Okoro is going to be too expensive to retain, hold onto it and aim for a replacement, but otherwise we're plenty young. What we're lacking is future draft capital.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,687

Post#1609 » by toooskies » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I wouldn't mind trading that pick for future draft capital. We have a number of young guys already on the roster. We have Bates, Nance, and guys oversea. Maybe if they get a sense that Okoro is going to be too expensive to retain, hold onto it and aim for a replacement, but otherwise we're plenty young. What we're lacking is future draft capital.

I don't think you'll get good value from a future draft for a pick in this one.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1610 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:57 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I wouldn't mind trading that pick for future draft capital. We have a number of young guys already on the roster. We have Bates, Nance, and guys oversea. Maybe if they get a sense that Okoro is going to be too expensive to retain, hold onto it and aim for a replacement, but otherwise we're plenty young. What we're lacking is future draft capital.

I don't think you'll get good value from a future draft for a pick in this one.

I don't either, but if the Magic really like who's on the board, they have the Nuggets 2025 1st.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1611 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:01 pm

axeman23 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Yeah, I guess it depends on who ends up with the pick,/ what they'd be willing to do with it, etc... MAYBE a Brooklyn deal involving DM? :dontknow:

The Nets don't own their first and I'd have serious reservations about making any single pick the prime consideration in a Mitchell trade.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1612 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm

If Bronny is there, i say burn the pick to try and lure Sr back into the wine & gold.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1613 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
If Bronny is there, i say burn the pick to try and lure Sr back into the wine & gold.

That ship may have sailed unless Bronny starts showing something at USC that makes him draftable.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1614 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

That ship may have sailed unless Bronny starts showing something at USC that makes him draftable.

Also, I'm not trading a bunch of good role players so I can pay LBJ max money not to play defense in the regular season at his age. I want LBJ to play a final season or two in Cleveland, but I'd be prepared to wait if he still insists on making max money.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1615 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Man, Cavs used 1st round picks on Windler and KPJ under this regime.

And the franchise as a whole has used 1st rounders on Anthony Bennett, Luke Jackson, Karasev, Eyenga, Diop, and Trajan Langdon.

I think the Cavs will be quite alright drafting junior if he gives even a slight increase in the odds of seeing a 3rd LeBron stint.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1616 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:If Bronny is there, i say burn the pick to try and lure Sr back into the wine & gold.

And the franchise as a whole has used 1st rounders on Anthony Bennett, Luke Jackson, Karasev, Eyenga, Diop, and Trajan Langdon.

I think the Cavs will be quite alright drafting junior if he gives even a slight increase in the odds of seeing a 3rd LeBron stint.

I doubt he (or LeBron) wants his professional career to be that guy who sits on the bench and cheers for his Dad.

If he can't establish himself, he should get an education and enjoy his college days.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1617 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:27 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I doubt he (or LeBron) wants his professional career to be that guy who sits on the bench and cheers for his Dad.

If he can't establish himself, he should get an education and enjoy his college days.
Bronny is already a millionaire, his net worth is $10.5 million. He has no need for a college degree.

If his dad wants him to enter the draft, he will. If he's sitting there when the Cavs are on the clock, it would be a wise selection.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1618 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:36 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Man, Cavs used 1st round picks on Windler and KPJ under this regime.

Bronny is already a millionaire, his net worth is $10.5 million. He has no need for a college degree.

If his dad wants him to enter the draft, he will. If he's sitting there when the Cavs are on the clock, it would be a wise selection.

Just throwing this out there, Grant Gilbert and Bronny James have a solid relationship. If he legit enjoys basketball, it’s not unreasonable for a start to his career with the Cavs.

I also think that if LeBron is going to dip into ownership, Cavs are an obvious choice considering his roots and the mantle turning over from Dan to Grant.

Bronny may or may not be a NBA caliber talent. I have no idea. I also have no problem burning a 2nd round pick outside of top-40 on relationships. A first, even a late one, needs justifiable talent. Which he may or may not have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
axeman23
Analyst

Post#1619 » by axeman23 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:45 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:If Bronny is there, i say burn the pick to try and lure Sr back into the wine & gold.

So many years where the draft was either the highlight of our year, or we were shopping for Lebron's running-mate/another piece to the puzzle, and almost perpetual disappointment... :lol:

Me, every draft day:

axeman23
Analyst

Post#1620 » by axeman23 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
axeman23 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:He's projected to go top 5, i believe. Cavs will be picking in the mid to late 20s, currently.

The Nets don't own their first and I'd have serious reservations about making any single pick the prime consideration in a Mitchell trade.

Yeah, you're right. And looking at the top 5 teams if everything shakes down pretty normally (Pistons, Spurs, Wiz, Hornets, Blazers) none of them have much motivation to trade out of the spot. And of course he'd be ideal for the Spurs with Wemby... DAMMIT! :lol:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers