Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,184

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1661 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:26 am

toooskies wrote:Okoro might be the most likely to move because he could put us into the tax if we try to keep him next year.

I think other teams might be reluctant to make a big offer to Okoro given the limited sample size of him shooting above league average from 3. I feel like he's finally comfortable/confident shooting from range which makes him far more valuable to a team that has Garland and Mitchell. I'd see how the playoffs went and make a decision in the summer. We can always salary dump an expiring LeVert.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1662 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:29 am

mcfly1204 wrote:Okoro + ? = Caruso?

See, I'd rather have Okoro than Caruso. I feel like Caruso is who he is offensively and he's pretty overrated in terms of trade value.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#1663 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:25 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:Okoro might be the most likely to move because he could put us into the tax if we try to keep him next year.

I think other teams might be reluctant to make a big offer to Okoro given the limited sample size of him shooting above league average from 3. I feel like he's finally comfortable/confident shooting from range which makes him far more valuable to a team that has Garland and Mitchell. I'd see how the playoffs went and make a decision in the summer. We can always salary dump an expiring LeVert.

Just saying that as-is, the books are pretty tight for next year. $15m for four needed roster spots, as of right now. Okoro will probably make the MLE somewhere.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#1664 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:37 am

jbk1234 wrote:

See, I'd rather have Okoro than Caruso. I feel like Caruso is who he is offensively and he's pretty overrated in terms of trade value.

Whether or not Caruso can stay healthy scares me a bit, but he's signed for another year at a good rate, moves the ball well on offense, and would provide better point of attack defense than Okoro. Don't get me wrong, I like Okoro, and would rather see him continue to develop in Cleveland, but you have to spend money to make money. Who else would we move that has any value?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1665 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:10 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Whether or not Caruso can stay healthy scares me a bit, but he's signed for another year at a good rate, moves the ball well on offense, and would provide better point of attack defense than Okoro. Don't get me wrong, I like Okoro, and would rather see him continue to develop in Cleveland, but you have to spend money to make money. Who else would we move that has any value?

In the bigger scheme, Okoro will be easier to retain when each respectively hit free agency, and he'll likely be better over the term of their next contracts. If the Cavs were all-in on this year and next it might be a good swap, but the Cavs probably need to retain the long-term talent more than they need the minor upgrade in the short term.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#1666 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:41 pm

To tie a ribbon around that thought, we might move him to a team that would be interested in paying him more than we'd likely want to offer him. Who might that be? I haven't heard of even a hint of another team being interested in him let alone interested in making him a significant offer, but presumably his agent is on the case of trying to prove he made the right decision not negotiating an extension with the Cavs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1667 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

To tie a ribbon around that thought, we might move him to a team that would be interested in paying him more than we'd likely want to offer him. Who might that be? I haven't heard of even a hint of another team being interested in him let alone interested in making him a significant offer, but presumably his agent is on the case of trying to prove he made the right decision not negotiating an extension with the Cavs.

My thought is Okoro needs a good playoff run, over a couple of series, in order to command a sizeable offer sheet this summer. Even then, that team has to ask itself whether it can absorb his offensive limitations without having both Garland and Mitchell on the roster.

I would not allow any noise coming from Okoro's agent to determine the course of action here. The Hornets may be a threat to sign him, but until the deadline comes and goes, you can't even predict how much cap they'll have next season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1668 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

My thought is Okoro needs a good playoff run, over a couple of series, in order to command a sizeable offer sheet this summer. Even then, that team has to ask itself whether it can absorb his offensive limitations without having both Garland and Mitchell on the roster.

I would not allow any noise coming from Okoro's agent to determine the course of action here. The Hornets may be a threat to sign him, but until the deadline comes and goes, you can't even predict how much cap they'll have next season.

As we saw play out with Sexton, the Cavs front office is willing to help a restricted free-agent get paid more than we're willing to pay him, as long as we're getting something acceptable in return.

The tricky question is we just might need Isaac as much as any other team around the league. Milwaukee comes to mind as a team that's getting pretty desperate for a point of attack defender. It will be interesting to see if they make a move, what it costs them, and if they're willing to compromise on shooting.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1669 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

As we saw play out with Sexton, the Cavs front office is willing to help a restricted free-agent get paid more than we're willing to pay him, as long as we're getting something acceptable in return.

The tricky question is we just might need Isaac as much as any other team around the league. Milwaukee comes to mind as a team that's getting pretty desperate for a point of attack defender. It will be interesting to see if they make a move, what it costs them, and if they're willing to compromise on shooting.

If the Cavs help fix the Bucks, and end up losing a series to the Bucks...
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,097

Post#1670 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I believe they will stand pat on Thursday.Image

I really hope we don't trade Okoro for like Royce O'Neale or some b-level asset. Anything short of DFS will be really disappointing.
Sounds like they may make another run at Royce like last deadline but idk what the Cavs would even offer.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#1671 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:03 pm

If Okoro has played himself into putting the Cavs in that position, I’m good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1672 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:27 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:

If Okoro has played himself into putting the Cavs in that position, I’m good with that.

That position is just taking a QO/MLE deal. The Cavs are about $15m under the tax with 10 roster spots taken. If you need to roster 4 players and Okoro just takes his QO or the MLE (and the Cavs match), the Cavs can't even offer veteran minimums.

Gotta believe that if Dillon Brooks can get $20m, then Okoro can get the MLE somewhere unless he totally collapses in the postseason.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1673 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:17 am

toooskies wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

That position is just taking a QO/MLE deal. The Cavs are about $15m under the tax with 10 roster spots taken. If you need to roster 4 players and Okoro just takes his QO or the MLE (and the Cavs match), the Cavs can't even offer veteran minimums.

Gotta believe that if Dillon Brooks can get $20m, then Okoro can get the MLE somewhere unless he totally collapses in the postseason.
If Mitchell extends (hopefully Mobley too) then just go into the tax next season, it will be fine to start the clock on the tax at that juncture. Especially if the Cavs have a deep playoff run this season (time will tell).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1674 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:46 am

toooskies wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

LeVert will be on an expiring contract. You can always shop him to bride's maid's in free agency
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1675 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:10 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:If Okoro has played himself into putting the Cavs in that position, I’m good with that.

LeVert will be on an expiring contract. You can always shop him to bride's maid's in free agency

At that point you're choosing between Okoro and LeVert, and while I'd prefer Okoro I don't know how the front office feels. And the LeVert money was supposed to translate into Mobley money the next summer, so we'll be up a creek at that point.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1676 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:18 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:That position is just taking a QO/MLE deal. The Cavs are about $15m under the tax with 10 roster spots taken. If you need to roster 4 players and Okoro just takes his QO or the MLE (and the Cavs match), the Cavs can't even offer veteran minimums.

At that point you're choosing between Okoro and LeVert, and while I'd prefer Okoro I don't know how the front office feels. And the LeVert money was supposed to translate into Mobley money the next summer, so we'll be up a creek at that point.

Unless Mitchell signs an extension, these are all tomorrow problems.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1677 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:22 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Unless Mitchell signs an extension, these are all tomorrow problems.

Mitchell is far more bought in than a guy who expects to be gone in 3 months.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1678 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:31 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If the Cavs help fix the Bucks, and end up losing a series to the Bucks...

Oh, I don't see us helping the Bucks either, just pointing out they are one team that should be shopping for an Okoro-like player.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1679 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:01 pm

Can we get a Joe Harris reunion? I think he would be a fine get for the vet min, since he was waived today.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1680 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:52 pm

Harry Giles waived too, is he any better than Jones? Might be worth a flyer or at least a 10 day look.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers