Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 10:39 pm

Don't like that we gave up our best two SF options in the trade. We know have to fill that hole via f.a. next summer or in 2014.

Also, I had better not hear that we preferred LeVert over Lauri. One of Agbaji or Lauri should of stayed and one of Okoro or LeVert should've gone out.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=7Qb5WV1HXa3qlsnlnB53Rg
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#3 » by zero24gravity » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:05 pm

Best wishes to Donovan. He's all all time Jazz great, without a doubt. I'll be watching (from afar) and hoping he has success with your Cavs.

Cleveland is an intriguing team, with their throw-back to playing multiple "bigs". DM's pairing with Garland should be interesting, as well. I'm imagining something similar to what the Jazz did with Mitchell and Conley, where one comes out early, allowing the other to be the primary ball handler any time the other sits.

Assuming his injury didn't wreck him, Sexton looks to be the man for the Jazz for the time-being. I'm also interested to see Agbaji, who is the type of player the Jazz needed the last couple years.

Good deal all the way around, I think. Jazz got their assets, the Cavs get a helluva player to help push them to the top of the East.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#4 » by Sinistar6 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:17 pm

Cavs did what they had to do to acquire the guy they see as springboard to title relevancy. Not sure how it will turn out but congrats Cavs and Jazz.-
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:22 pm

Donovan being excited to be here makes me feel a lot better about the trade.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#6 » by gflem » Thu Sep 1, 2022 11:36 pm

Still not sure how I feel about this move. At least the Sexton drama is over, maybe Kobe should call Ainge back and try to get a srp included? Sorry, I just had to say it.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#7 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Sep 2, 2022 12:03 am

Nice move by Cleveland doing what it took to snatch him away from the Knicks.

Not very often do 25 Y.O. all-stars with 3 years left on their deal come available.

Worst case scenario, Cleveland could still trade him in 2 years to get back some of what they gave up, if they believe he won't re-sign.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,833

Post#8 » by TravisScott55 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 1:49 am

This forum dead
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,659

Post#9 » by toooskies » Fri Sep 2, 2022 2:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:Don't like that we gave up our best two SF options in the trade. We know have to fill that hole via f.a. next summer or in 2014.

Also, I had better not hear that we preferred LeVert over Lauri. One of Agbaji or Lauri should of stayed and one of Okoro or LeVert should've gone out.

I think with Mitchell and Garland as the backcourt, the third guy on the perimeter needs to be a plus defender this year. I have that being any of Okoro, Stevens, or Wade, depending on where the Cavs' defensive priorities are on a given night.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,455

Post#10 » by winforlose » Fri Sep 2, 2022 9:23 am

I said this on the trade board and I mean it, you guys are better after the trade than before. You did overpay, and it might bite you later. That said, you are a legit perennial playoff team with a lot of good young stars. I am low on Mitchell but high on Garland, Allen, and Mobley. I really liked the big ball approach you guys used last year and I sincerely hope you have a great year :)
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 2, 2022 3:12 pm

winforlose wrote:I said this on the trade board and I mean it, you guys are better after the trade than before. You did overpay, and it might bite you later. That said, you are a legit perennial playoff team with a lot of good young stars. I am low on Mitchell but high on Garland, Allen, and Mobley. I really liked the big ball approach you guys used last year and I sincerely hope you have a great year :)

If Mitchell doesn't help us take the step to contender status, then the trade failed. How many teams with 3 (perhaps 4) All-Stars are NOT considered contenders?

It doesn't have to be this season, Garland, Mobley, and Okoro are still very young and it can take time to fit new pieces together the right way; but there should be some clear signs of what they can be and what they need.
Hoppy1
Rookie
And1: 294

Post#12 » by Hoppy1 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 5:22 pm

Cleveland gets 1 year to jell and have the youth mature. I would like to see a trade for an OG Anunuby type player at the 3. The players leaving Cleveland were not going to be the difference between titles or not. Being a Mitchell fan, I am now a Cavs fan.
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 2, 2022 5:37 pm

Nice video to show how Mitchell can be used offensively:

https://youtu.be/C3ELxH69OSg

Mitchell and Garland are clearly going to be a huge problem for the rest of the league.

Worst case we try to replicate what Utah did with Allen or Mobley in the middle, Garland/Rubio taking the Conley role, and throwing in some shooters at PF and SF (short of a trade, take your pick from Love, Wade, Osman and anyone else who cares to demonstrate they can knock down an open 3pter).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Post#14 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Sep 2, 2022 8:13 pm

Hoppy1 wrote:Cleveland gets 1 year to jell and have the youth mature. I would like to see a trade for an OG Anunuby type player at the 3. The players leaving Cleveland were not going to be the difference between titles or not. Being a Mitchell fan, I am now a Cavs fan.
The Cavs do not have a first round pick to trade outside of a 2024 swap (which will be a pick in the 20s).

'23 to the Pacers then '25, '26, '27, '28, and '29 to the Jazz.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#15 » by gflem » Fri Sep 2, 2022 9:14 pm

Hoppy1 wrote:Cleveland gets 1 year to jell and have the youth mature. I would like to see a trade for an OG Anunuby type player at the 3. The players leaving Cleveland were not going to be the difference between titles or not. Being a Mitchell fan, I am now a Cavs fan.

Welcome to the Cavs board. I hope to see you here for at least 4 years. We have no way to trade for Anunoby or someone like him so it is going to take Koby using some kind of magic to make that happen. I do believe the Cavs are a better team with Mitchell, and I hope Sexton does well with Utah. It wouldn't surprise me if Wade winds up starting at the SF spot for the Cavs to start the season, he looked ok defending SFs for the most part last season and we know he can knock down open threes.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 2, 2022 9:14 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Cavs do not have a first round pick to trade outside of a 2024 swap (which will be a pick in the 20s).

We can eventually trade the 2024 pick, but yeah, we don't have the assets left to get OG right now unless we trade a core player.

We do have an open roster spot, though, so if someone free's up we can consider if they're a better option than the players we've already got.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Post#17 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Sep 2, 2022 10:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

We can eventually trade the 2024 pick, but yeah, we don't have the assets left to get OG right now unless we trade a core player.

We do have an open roster spot, though, so if someone free's up we can consider if they're a better option than the players we've already got.

Yeah, on the day of the draft almost 2 years from now. It'll be the last 1st rounder the Cavs can trade for nearly a decade, assets are completely depleted.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#18 » by KuruptedCav » Sat Sep 3, 2022 1:30 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The Cavs do not have a first round pick to trade outside of a 2024 swap (which will be a pick in the 20s).

Yeah, on the day of the draft almost 2 years from now. It'll be the last 1st rounder the Cavs can trade for nearly a decade, assets are completely depleted.

Naw. In two years new picks open up. Also, don’t forget the asset that is Uncle Dan’s wallet.

The Cavs could bundle those expiring contracts and clear a LOT of space off someone’s books in exchange for picks or simply overpriced talent that fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,933

Post#19 » by tundraknight » Sat Sep 3, 2022 2:39 am

Besides trading so much unprotected draft capital until 2029, the other main concern that brought up after this trade is that Mobley is no longer eligible for the rookie max extension. Supposedly he could sign 4 years instead of 5, or wait until the following year to become a UFA.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 3, 2022 3:11 am

tundraknight wrote:Besides trading so much unprotected draft capital until 2029, the other main concern that brought up after this trade is that Mobley is no longer eligible for the rookie max extension. Supposedly he could sign 4 years instead of 5, or wait until the following year to become a UFA.

He's not turning down a max offer coming off his rookie contract. The concern would be he'd ask for a P.O. in the last year and you'd lose him a year early.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers