Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#361 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:55 am

Honestly, if the Cavs and Mitchell can't get out of the first round two years in a row, it might be best for everyone involved to re-evaluate.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#362 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I kind of took it as potetinally internally he is hearing excuses, most likely due to everyone being injured all season. But he is saying forget all that, the playoffs start in a couple few weeks, gotta be better.

He was apart of the embarrassing early exit last season and he is well aware of the early exit the season right before he joined, because he had one himself too.

I'm sure he knows 3 seasons in a row of early exits for all involved means something will have to change.

Well, he was quoted early in the season when the team was struggling to not judge the team based on how they were playing then, but how they're playing in March/April, so, here we are. He's being consistent. It's time for everyone to step it up and fight through injuries and fatigue ... which is why he's trying to play when he clearly shouldn't be.

Just to be clear here, are you saying Mitchell has been good his first two games back?

He's passing well, that's about it. He looks limited, but he's not excluding himself or anyone else playing hurt from his criticism.

If you care about messaging he's saying the right things. If you like to see players playing through injuries, he's doing the right thing. If you care about this team, well, we're seeing it worn down again by injuries as we head in to the playoffs.

Our stars are finesse players, they can't just elbow a defender and lay the ball in the basket. They need all their extremities in tip top condition to cut, drive, shoot and defend. We don't need Garland and Mitchell to show-up for the playoffs, we need them to be excellent.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#363 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:38 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Well, he was quoted early in the season when the team was struggling to not judge the team based on how they were playing then, but how they're playing in March/April, so, here we are. He's being consistent. It's time for everyone to step it up and fight through injuries and fatigue ... which is why he's trying to play when he clearly shouldn't be.

Just to be clear here, are you saying Mitchell has been good his first two games back?

He's passing well, that's about it. He looks limited, but he's not excluding himself or anyone else playing hurt from his criticism.

If you care about messaging he's saying the right things. If you like to see players playing through injuries, he's doing the right thing. If you care about this team, well, we're seeing it worn down again by injuries as we head in to the playoffs.

Our stars are finesse players, they can't just elbow a defender and lay the ball in the basket. They need all their extremities in tip top condition to cut, drive, shoot and defend. We don't need Garland and Mitchell to show-up for the playoffs, we need them to be excellent.

I'd argue that Evan's not a finesse player (on offense at least) but he's in a finesse player's body.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#364 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:28 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'd argue that Evan's not a finesse player (on offense at least) but he's in a finesse player's body.

That's fair, but his one advantage as a lightweight big is supposed to be quickness and injuries and fatigue rob players of that.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Post#365 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:07 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Idk if Mitchell is saying the "right" things. He is saying some realistic things, for sure.

But the "right" thing isn't droppin' F bombs and calling out the entire team/organization due to frustration. Again, is it needed, probably but I wouldn't call it "right".
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#366 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:07 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Idk if Mitchell is saying the "right" things. He is saying some realistic things, for sure.

But the "right" thing isn't droppin' F bombs and calling out the entire team/organization due to frustration. Again, is it needed, probably but I wouldn't call it "right".

I don't know that it was needed, right, or constructive. The team is still banged up when it needed to be healthy. The team isn't going to have time to gel before the playoffs, so they're going to have to try to do it in the playoffs.

I didn't hear anything out of Mitchell other than frustration, and I'm sure Garland and Allen who had to gut out the toughest part of the schedule short handed, while Okoro and LeVert gave the team next to nothing, are frustrated as well. I'm just of mindset that if you're going to put the team on blast, you better be doing specific things that your teammates are not.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#367 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

As long as he's including himself (which he did), it's pretty classic sports leadership 101. The whole interview is also a lot tamer than the sound bites.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#368 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I don't know that it was needed, right, or constructive. The team is still banged up when it needed to be healthy. The team isn't going to have time to gel before the playoffs, so they're going to have to try to do it in the playoffs.

I didn't hear anything out of Mitchell other than frustration, and I'm sure Garland and Allen who had to gut out the toughest part of the schedule short handed, while Okoro and LeVert gave the team next to nothing, are frustrated as well. I'm just of mindset that if you're going to put the team on blast, you better be doing specific things that your teammates are not.

The injuries are what they are, the coaching is what it is, about all that's left is how hard they're going to fight and whether they're going to do this as a team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#369 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:54 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

As long as he's including himself (which he did), it's pretty classic sports leadership 101. The whole interview is also a lot tamer than the sound bites.

I do think he is more frustrated with his own injuries more so than others. He also gave some of his teammates praise.

However, i would not call doing this publicly "sports leadership 101".

Sports leadership 101 is doing that behind closed doors and/or leading by example. This reads much more like a complete frustration with excuses within the organization from the top down.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#370 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:58 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Idk if Mitchell is saying the "right" things. He is saying some realistic things, for sure.

I do think he is more frustrated with his own injuries more so than others. He also gave some of his teammates praise.

Sports leadership 101 is doing that behind closed doors and/or leading by example. This reads much more like a complete frustration with excuses within the organization from the top down.

How would we know what he's already said behind closed doors? As for leading by example, he's on the floor trying to create for teammates when he's playing at 50%.

Maybe it's me, but I have no problem with him talking honestly and directly about the team struggling and needing to look for answers, not just keep doing the same thing. Unfortunately it has the side effect of launching the media and other fan bases in to Mitchell is gone mode, but that's on them.

Personally, I'd rather see them go down fighting with their best game plan, playing the right way, and using their bench. I really don't care what it takes to light that fire.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#371 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

How would we know what he's already said behind closed doors? As for leading by example, he's on the floor trying to create for teammates when he's playing at 50%.

Maybe it's me, but I have no problem with him talking honestly and directly about the team struggling and needing to look for answers, not just keep doing the same thing. Unfortunately it has the side effect of launching the media and other fan bases in to Mitchell is gone mode, but that's on them.

Personally, I'd rather see them go down fighting with their best game plan, playing the right way, and using their bench. I really don't care what it takes to light that fire.
No you're right, we have no way of knowing what he's saying. And i didn't mean so much on court, just tone/body language.

But idk if this public speech is what will light the fire.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#372 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:30 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115538-landing-spots-for-donovan-mitchell-if-cavs-trade-star-guard-during-nba-offseason

"The buzz in NBA circles suggests that barring a run to the NBA Finals, Mitchell will decline an extension and look elsewhere"

If true, we have to get further than he's ever gotten to retain him lol yet the Cavs have failed to advance past the first round the past 2 seasons, sounds promising...

What an awful trade this has turned out to be.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,684

Post#373 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:"The buzz in NBA circles suggests that barring a run to the NBA Finals, Mitchell will decline an extension and look elsewhere"

If true, we have to get further than he's ever gotten to retain him lol yet the Cavs have failed to advance past the first round the past 2 seasons, sounds promising...

It is too bad Mitchell and the Cavs appear to be limping towards the playoffs. Hopefully Mitchell can recover his All Star form by the playoffs, but I am wondering whether his nagging injuries, whatever they are, are going to get better with MItchell presumably playing hurt down the stretch?

On another note, it generally strikes me as a bit ironic when a star allegedly indicates something along the lines that whether he re-signs or not depends on how his team does in the playoffs, but the play of that same star is the biggest factor determining how well the team does in the playoffs. Mitchell has only played nine games since the All Star break, while averaging just 16.9 ppg. Obviously, limited output like that from a team's offensive superstar is unlikely to produce a deep playoff run.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#374 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:42 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:"The buzz in NBA circles suggests that barring a run to the NBA Finals, Mitchell will decline an extension and look elsewhere"

It is too bad Mitchell and the Cavs appear to be limping towards the playoffs. Hopefully Mitchell can recover his All Star form by the playoffs, but I am wondering whether his nagging injuries, whatever they are, are going to get better with MItchell presumably playing hurt down the stretch?

On another note, it generally strikes me as a bit ironic when a star allegedly indicates something along the lines that whether he re-signs or not depends on how his team does in the playoffs, but the play of that same star is the biggest factor determining how well the team does in the playoffs. Mitchell has only played nine games since the All Star break, while averaging just 16.9 ppg. Obviously, limited output like that from a team's offensive superstar is unlikely to produce a deep playoff run.
Yeah, kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, unfortunately.

On the Cavs page someone commend that Mitchell was already in playoff form and i got a chuckle out of it. Unfortunately that has been the truth the past 2 playoffs, his efficiency just goes in the toilet.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 860

Post#375 » by ijspeelman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115538-landing-spots-for-donovan-mitchell-if-cavs-trade-star-guard-during-nba-offseason

"The buzz in NBA circles suggests that barring a run to the NBA Finals, Mitchell will decline an extension and look elsewhere"

I am not saying one way or another if Mitchell will sign, but this feels like the rumor mill and not a reputable source. I am holding out to see what Mitchell actually says what he is going to do by doing it this summer

If this true, this trade is not going to look good and its going to suck this season may be lost due to injury
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#376 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:03 am

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115538-landing-spots-for-donovan-mitchell-if-cavs-trade-star-guard-during-nba-offseason

I am not saying one way or another if Mitchell will sign, but this feels like the rumor mill and not a reputable source. I am holding out to see what Mitchell actually says what he is going to do by doing it this summer

If this true, this trade is not going to look good and its going to suck this season may be lost due to injury
It's not that far fetched to believe another early post season exit is not gonna sit well with Mitchell.

As of typing this, Cavs are currently the 5 seed matched up against the 4 seed Knicks with 3 regular season games left.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#377 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:59 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

It's not that far fetched to believe another early post season exit is not gonna sit well with Mitchell.

As of typing this, Cavs are currently the 5 seed matched up against the 4 seed Knicks with 3 regular season games left.

Oh, there are lots of possibilities, just few facts besides we can offer him a whole lot of security and money. The media (besides Bleacher Report) acts like they know Mitchell is going to leave, but not a peep about why. Of course they also knew Mitchell was going to be traded by the Jazz to the Knicks, they just didn't realize Mitchell was more than fine with going to the Cavs. He just didn't think it was a possibility without the Cavs gutting the team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#378 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Oh, there are lots of possibilities, just few facts besides we can offer him a whole lot of security and money. The media (besides Bleacher Report) acts like they know Mitchell is going to leave, but not a peep about why. Of course they also knew Mitchell was going to be traded by the Jazz to the Knicks, they just didn't realize Mitchell was more than fine with going to the Cavs. He just didn't think it was a possibility without the Cavs gutting the team.
My personal gauge of the temperature and read of the room since the utter collapse that has been this season is... Mitchell is more than willing to fulfill his final season as a Cav, the guy didn't request a trade away from the Jazz.

The issue is, if/when he refuses to extend his contract for the 2nd summer in a row, it then becomes in the Cavs best interest to trade him. If the Cavs will actually do that remains to be seen, same with getting a new head coach.

However, i 100% believe when the article says anything less than a finals apperance (i could see ECF appearance being good enough in certain instances) and Mitchell's mind will be made up about the long term legitimacy of the Cavs.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#379 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:13 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:It's not that far fetched to believe another early post season exit is not gonna sit well with Mitchell.

My personal gauge of the temperature and read of the room since the utter collapse that has been this season is... Mitchell is more than willing to fulfill his final season as a Cav, the guy didn't request a trade away from the Jazz.

The issue is, if/when he refuses to extend his contract for the 2nd summer in a row, it then becomes in the Cavs best interest to trade him. If the Cavs will actually do that remains to be seen, same with getting a new head coach.

However, i 100% believe when the article says anything less than a finals apperance (i could see ECF appearance being good enough in certain instances) and Mitchell's mind will be made up about the long term legitimacy of the Cavs.

At best, someone might know his thinking of the moment. He still has to make up his mind and he knows if he doesn't take the extension, that the Cavs will start shopping him. So, as much as he may want to keep his options open, not acting will likely close one so he'd better be good with that.

Four years straight now he's dealing with injury problems in the playoffs, if there's a silver lining I think it's all been different things; but knee problems related to wear & tear are always concerning.

So, on one hand Donovan needs to look in the mirror, but on the other he shouldn't have to carry this team. Yeah, sure, we can fire the coach but having that option isn't exactly an incentive. He will have until the season starts to decide if he wants to take the extension and that's not much time to evaluate a new coach and/or any roster changes. I guess it worked for Giannis because he got what he wanted, but if there's a lesson from that it's still tbd if he got what he needed.

Looks like there's a new rule that may come in to play too where Mitchell might not be eligible to be traded for 6 months after signing an extension.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:46 am

I don't know what Mitchell will do, but that article is the encapsulation of Knicks for Clicks. I mean read what you posted critically. That person doesn't have actual sources with knowledge. What does the *buzz in NBA circles* even mean? It's not *league sources close to Mitchell* which could at least mean his agent. It's not even *league* or *front office* sources which could at least mean the Nets front office. Also, bees buzz while human sources give actual statements. Unless I missed it, tere's not a single quoted statement in that Bleacher Report piece.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers