Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#261 » by TheLand13 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:36 pm

gflem wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2023/07/24/nba-insider-doesnt-see-any-chance-cleveland-cavaliers-donovan-mitchell-re-signs

Time for the monthly Mitchell is destined to leave report.

I remember way back when it was Lebron that was a "done deal" going to the Knicks. History repeats itself. We actually had a rule on this board, "No Knicks trades" for a season or two.

I don’t remember LeBron to NY being a done deal at all. In fact that was a rumor that we thought were so far fetched that we regularly laughed at it every time we heard it. Then again, I thought he was for sure going to Chicago and then that ended up not only not happening, but they were never seriously considered either.

I don’t buy into the idea that Mitchell going to NY is something he’s deadset on. It’s all going to depend on how Cleveland does this upcoming season. If they manage to make the ECF with Mobley and Garland showing clear signs of improvement, I seriously doubt Mitchell will leave. But if Cleveland ends up losing in the first round again, regardless of whether or not it’s close… that’s a different story.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#262 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/.amp/nba/2023/07/24/nba-insider-doesnt-see-any-chance-cleveland-cavaliers-donovan-mitchell-re-signs

I'm disappointed in SI publishing an aggregating article that refers to Tim Bontemps as an "NBA Insider", implying that he's stating something beyond just his opinion.

If Mitchell wasn't interested in seeing what this team was capable of, he would have made it known he didn't want to play in Cleveland and/or already asked for a trade. Just how these things work these days. If Windhorst had said it, it would have some credence; but he's still the guy that insisted James wasn't returning to Cleveland as the news broke. :lol:

fwiw, I heard a rumor LeBron was scared off from any thoughts of going to NY by the NY Media. Cleveland fans and media had been very protective of LeBron and his family and supposedly he realized the NYC tabloids/paparazzi would be doing the opposite.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,091

Post#263 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:49 am

JonFromVA wrote:

I'm disappointed in SI publishing an aggregating article that refers to Tim Bontemps as an "NBA Insider", implying that he's stating something beyond just his opinion.

If Mitchell wasn't interested in seeing what this team was capable of, he would have made it known he didn't want to play in Cleveland and/or already asked for a trade. Just how these things work these days. If Windhorst had said it, it would have some credence; but he's still the guy that insisted James wasn't returning to Cleveland as the news broke.

fwiw, I heard a rumor LeBron was scared off from any thoughts of going to NY by the NY Media. Cleveland fans and media had been very protective of LeBron and his family and supposedly he realized the NYC tabloids/paparazzi would be doing the opposite.
I don't think it has to be that black and white.

Mitchell could just be going with the flow until he can walk free to NY.

He didn't request a trade from the Utah treadmill until Ainge traded Rudy, Royce, and Ingles.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#264 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:49 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If Mitchell wasn't interested in seeing what this team was capable of, he would have made it known he didn't want to play in Cleveland and/or already asked for a trade. Just how these things work these days. If Windhorst had said it, it would have some credence; but he's still the guy that insisted James wasn't returning to Cleveland as the news broke.

He didn't request a trade from the Utah treadmill until Ainge traded Rudy, Royce, and Ingles.

Mitchell was very excited when he found out he was being traded to Cleveland. I think it’s clear that he wants to win. The question is whether or not he values that more than going to NY. If it’s the former, I just can’t see it happening unless NY makes some serious roster upgrades.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#265 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:12 am

TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Mitchell was very excited when he found out he was being traded to Cleveland. I think it’s clear that he wants to win. The question is whether or not he values that more than going to NY. If it’s the former, I just can’t see it happening unless NY makes some serious roster upgrades.
The Knicks just spanked the Cavs collective booty cheeks, what are you talking about?
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#266 » by toooskies » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:15 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I don't think it has to be that black and white.

The Knicks just spanked the Cavs collective booty cheeks, what are you talking about?

For any team to sign Mitchell in free agency, they will need to cut down their roster sufficiently that they should not be better than the Cavs, barring career-altering injuries.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#267 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:21 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:

For any team to sign Mitchell in free agency, they will need to cut down their roster sufficiently that they should not be better than the Cavs, barring career-altering injuries.
The Cavs haven't made it outta the 1st round the past 2 seasons, the bar for being better isn't that high.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#268 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:23 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:

And yet the cavaliers made actual roster upgrades this season while NY didn’t. Meanwhile most of their best players are in their primes already while Cleveland is still a very young team. You would have a very difficult time arguing that NY is in a position to be the superior team just three seasons from now. Cleveland is going to continue to get better year by year. I don’t know if that can be said about NY.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#269 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:20 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I suspect it was more of a one of us has to go situation, and Ainge decided to vote everyone off the island.

The Royce O'Neale trade and Will Hardy signing was what led to Windy pondering that something was up in Utah, but if the Jazz's intention was to build around Mitchell it's dubious they'd trade one of his best friends on the team and hire a head coach with no experience.

Mitchell is rep'd by CAA and presumably they were well aware of his intentions and passed them on to the Knicks, and the rumors about the Knicks interest in Mitchell go way back before even the O'Neale trade. This led to much of the gamesmanship and animosity between the Jazz and the Knicks with Ainge asking for everything they had of value and the Knicks pulling players out / lowering their offer at each step.

In other words, my read of the situation is that Mitchell was the last shot fired because his situation was the MOST manipulated. The Jazz were free to engage whoever they wanted about their other players, so they took care of that first. The vets they couldn't move at first were traded for much cheaper.

So how in the world did the Cavs get involved when all signs were pointing that Mitchell wanted to be in NY and NY wanted Mitchell?

I believe we were either given permission to talk to him by Ainge or got it done through back channels (like Garland working out with Mitchell that Summer). Did they even have a connection before that? It's possible that the Knicks inability to close the deal worried Mitchell and opened his mind to other possibilities such as the Cavs? He admitted he was surprised we could get him without giving up Garland, Allen, or Mobley.

These are some of the signs that have led me to conclude that if Mitchell isn't happy, he will let us know, and we will try to quietly move on. He doesn't need to play us or string us along. Both sides want to make this work. I mean, Mitchell was happy in Utah for years until Gobert decided it would be fun to spread Covid. It's not a stretch to imagine him being happy in Cleveland - which is a lot closer to NYC if he really misses it.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#270 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:42 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The Knicks just spanked the Cavs collective booty cheeks, what are you talking about?

The Cavs haven't made it outta the 1st round the past 2 seasons, the bar for being better isn't that high.

You've been insisting for a while now the Mitchell trade was a win now move, while I've been pointing out the move left us with a young team and roster holes that we may not be able to address until 2024.

The key has always been whether Mitchell was on-board with that and I believe he was/is and it sure seems to me Altman did his part with little to work with this Summer. According to the rumor mill, he even made a run at Naz Reid who allegedly accepted less money to stay put.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#271 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:43 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:

And yet the cavaliers made actual roster upgrades this season while NY didn’t. Meanwhile most of their best players are in their primes already while Cleveland is still a very young team. You would have a very difficult time arguing that NY is in a position to be the superior team just three seasons from now. Cleveland is going to continue to get better year by year. I don’t know if that can be said about NY.

Oh, now they're upgrades lol you've been very vocal all summer about how Strus will be a bench guy behind Okoro, Niang won't even be a rotation piece behind Wade, and we have no back-up 5 because Jones isn't it. I don't think you even ever mentioned TJ.

Anyway, that point aside you're aware the Knicks still have a younger average age (25.6) than the Cavs (26.7), correct?

You're also aware that the Knicks have 6 first round picks over the next 2 years vs the Cavs 1, right?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#272 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:46 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The Knicks just spanked the Cavs collective booty cheeks, what are you talking about?

Oh, now they're upgrades lol you've been very vocal all summer about how Strus will be a bench guy behind Okoro, Niang won't even be a rotation piece behind Wade, and we have no back-up 5 because Jones isn't it. I don't think you even ever mentioned TJ.

Anyway, that point aside you're aware the Knicks still have a younger average age (25.6) than the Cavs (26.7), correct?

You're also aware that the Knicks have 6 first round picks over the next 2 years vs the Cavs 1, right?

What's the average of the Knicks/Cavs expected starting lineups?
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#273 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:09 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Oh, now they're upgrades lol you've been very vocal all summer about how Strus will be a bench guy behind Okoro, Niang won't even be a rotation piece behind Wade, and we have no back-up 5 because Jones isn't it. I don't think you even ever mentioned TJ.

First off, I never said Strus should be backing up Okoro, I said he should be backing up Mitchell at the two guard spot. You don't even have the guy I want starting at SF correct. I've stated multiple times now that it should be Wade, not Okoro. Second, I've also stated multiple times now that him being a backup has everything to do with him just not being tall enough in my opinion to be the rightful starting SF, it has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. What part of that you're finding so hard to understand I have no idea, but apparently you're still not getting it. If the day comes that we trade Mitchell, unless we get a better SG out of the deal, Strus is perfect to insert into the starting SG spot. Either way, very strange for you to even try to argue that I don't consider Strus to be a big pickup for Cleveland after I've raved about his abilities as a player and argued with countless people about how his contract that many claim is an overpay for him isn't actually an overpay. Pretty obvious I value him highly, but sure, keep pushing that narrative.

I don't recall ever stating that Niang won't be in the rotation, and if I did then I'm not sure why I would say that. He's going to get minutes. I do recall stating that he shouldn't be getting more time than Wade, which is an opinion I still stand by.

And yes, I've mentioned TJ.

JujitsuFlip wrote:Anyway, that point aside you're aware the Knicks still have a younger average age (25.6) than the Cavs (26.7), correct?

As another user just pointed out, the average age of the starting lineups pretty much kills this point.

JujitsuFlip wrote:You're also aware that the Knicks have 6 first round picks over the next 2 years vs the Cavs 1, right?

You are aware that most of them are protected right? The only one I can see NY actually getting is the Dallas one. But Charlotte? WA? Those are definitely going right back to their respective teams unless they somehow manage to perform well above expectations. Second year is tough to say.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#274 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:38 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I suspect it was more of a one of us has to go situation, and Ainge decided to vote everyone off the island.

The Royce O'Neale trade and Will Hardy signing was what led to Windy pondering that something was up in Utah, but if the Jazz's intention was to build around Mitchell it's dubious they'd trade one of his best friends on the team and hire a head coach with no experience.

Mitchell is rep'd by CAA and presumably they were well aware of his intentions and passed them on to the Knicks, and the rumors about the Knicks interest in Mitchell go way back before even the O'Neale trade. This led to much of the gamesmanship and animosity between the Jazz and the Knicks with Ainge asking for everything they had of value and the Knicks pulling players out / lowering their offer at each step.

In other words, my read of the situation is that Mitchell was the last shot fired because his situation was the MOST manipulated. The Jazz were free to engage whoever they wanted about their other players, so they took care of that first. The vets they couldn't move at first were traded for much cheaper.

So how in the world did the Cavs get involved when all signs were pointing that Mitchell wanted to be in NY and NY wanted Mitchell?

I believe we were either given permission to talk to him by Ainge or got it done through back channels (like Garland working out with Mitchell that Summer). Did they even have a connection before that? It's possible that the Knicks inability to close the deal worried Mitchell and opened his mind to other possibilities such as the Cavs? He admitted he was surprised we could get him without giving up Garland, Allen, or Mobley.

These are some of the signs that have led me to conclude that if Mitchell isn't happy, he will let us know, and we will try to quietly move on. He doesn't need to play us or string us along. Both sides want to make this work. I mean, Mitchell was happy in Utah for years until Gobert decided it would be fun to spread Covid. It's not a stretch to imagine him being happy in Cleveland - which is a lot closer to NYC if he really misses it.
He stayed with Rudy for 2 1/2 more years after that incident.

I'd say the reason the Cavs came into the picture at the last minute is because Koby gave every single asset he asked for with no push back lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#275 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:50 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd say the reason the Cavs came into the picture at the last minute is because Koby gave every single asset he asked for with no push back lol

If anything that shows a level of loyalty and patience to try to get past something and make it work.

Also the Cavs didn't come in to the picture at the last minute, so, please take that in to account when you hit me with your next presumption. :D

Or to put it another way, if you really think Koby is that incompetent that he'd trade so many assets for a guy who doesn't even want to be here ... then the team is doomed. I'd suggest finding another team or sport to follow, now.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#276 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:23 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If anything that shows a level of loyalty and patience to try to get past something and make it work.

Also the Cavs didn't come in to the picture at the last minute, so, please take that in to account when you hit me with your next presumption. :D

Or to put it another way, if you really think Koby is that incompetent that he'd trade so many assets for a guy who doesn't even want to be here ... then the team is doomed. I'd suggest finding another team or sport to follow, now.
Nah, I'll support the Cavs as I have for the past 20 or so years, Koby has made other dumb trades, as have other Cavs GM's.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#277 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:

I know JB essentially only plays the starters but that is hardly relevant to how well either team can build in the next couple years, if/when Mitchell ends up on the Knicks.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#278 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:11 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Oh, now they're upgrades lol you've been very vocal all summer about how Strus will be a bench guy behind Okoro, Niang won't even be a rotation piece behind Wade, and we have no back-up 5 because Jones isn't it. I don't think you even ever mentioned TJ.

I know JB essentially only plays the starters but that is hardly relevant to how well either team can build in the next couple years, if/when Mitchell ends up on the Knicks.

It speaks to the age of the most valued core players on the team rather than the age of the spare parts, which at the moment includes Mitchell. If/when that changes we're certainly free to re-evaluate.

Speaking of roster turnover, the only other player left from when Darius was a rookie is Dean Wade, and he played all of 71 minutes that season.

Some roster stability would be nice, but we'll have to settle on a starting SF before we can get there.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#279 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:41 pm

TheLand13 wrote:

First off, I never said Strus should be backing up Okoro, I said he should be backing up Mitchell at the two guard spot. You don't even have the guy I want starting at SF correct. I've stated multiple times now that it should be Wade, not Okoro. Second, I've also stated multiple times now that him being a backup has everything to do with him just not being tall enough in my opinion to be the rightful starting SF, it has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. What part of that you're finding so hard to understand I have no idea, but apparently you're still not getting it. If the day comes that we trade Mitchell, unless we get a better SG out of the deal, Strus is perfect to insert into the starting SG spot. Either way, very strange for you to even try to argue that I don't consider Strus to be a big pickup for Cleveland after I've raved about his abilities as a player and argued with countless people about how his contract that many claim is an overpay for him isn't actually an overpay. Pretty obvious I value him highly, but sure, keep pushing that narrative.

I don't recall ever stating that Niang won't be in the rotation, and if I did then I'm not sure why I would say that. He's going to get minutes. I do recall stating that he shouldn't be getting more time than Wade, which is an opinion I still stand by.

And yes, I've mentioned TJ.

JujitsuFlip wrote:Anyway, that point aside you're aware the Knicks still have a younger average age (25.6) than the Cavs (26.7), correct?

As another user just pointed out, the average age of the starting lineups pretty much kills this point.

JujitsuFlip wrote:You're also aware that the Knicks have 6 first round picks over the next 2 years vs the Cavs 1, right?

You are aware that most of them are protected right? The only one I can see NY actually getting is the Dallas one. But Charlotte? WA? Those are definitely going right back to their respective teams unless they somehow manage to perform well above expectations. Second year is tough to say.

Riddle me this, how is Wade simultaneously taking Strus and Niang's minutes in the rotation?

They're still assets, to improve their roster, something the Cavs do not have.

Dallas will be a top 20 team this season or next.

Washington has until 2026 to convey the pick.

Detroit has until 2027 to convey that pick.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#280 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

It speaks to the age of the most valued core players on the team rather than the age of the spare parts, which at the moment includes Mitchell. If/when that changes we're certainly free to re-evaluate.

Speaking of roster turnover, the only other player left from when Darius was a rookie is Dean Wade, and he played all of 71 minutes that season.

Some roster stability would be nice, but we'll have to settle on a starting SF before we can get there.
I'm just saying to act like the Knicks are locked into not improving when they have 6 first rounders the next 2 drafts and tons of young guys on cheap deals plus pretty decent guys on larger deals for salary matching is absurd.

There's a world where Mitchell signs with the Knicks in the summer of 2025 and that not be the only move they make to improve the roster, where the Cavs will then have Mobley, Garland, and not much else to speak of.

So for TheLand to say the Knicks for sure have a worse trajectory than the Cavs after just curb stomping them is pretty mind boggling to me.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers