Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#381 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:16 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115538-landing-spots-for-donovan-mitchell-if-cavs-trade-star-guard-during-nba-offseason

"The buzz in NBA circles suggests that barring a run to the NBA Finals, Mitchell will decline an extension and look elsewhere"

If true, we have to get further than he's ever gotten to retain him lol yet the Cavs have failed to advance past the first round the past 2 seasons, sounds promising...

What an awful trade this has turned out to be.

I don't know what Mitchell will do, but that article is the encapsulation of Knicks for Clicks. I mean read what you posted critically. That person doesn't have actual sources with knowledge. What does the *buzz in NBA circles* even mean? It's not *league sources close to Mitchell* which could at least mean his agent. It's not even *league* or *front office* sources which could at least mean the Nets front office. Also, bees buzz while human sources give actual statements. Unless I missed it, tere's not a single quoted statement in that Bleacher Report piece.
You all are getting caught up on semantics.

It's not hard to connect dots based on the Cavs abysmal play and Mitchell's growing public frustration.

We don't need an article to tell us Mitchell will sign with x team on x date during 2025 free agency. By the time that happens, it's far too late.

We just have to use a smidge of critical thinking and understand this thing is headed in the wrong direction.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Post#382 » by jbk1234 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:22 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115538-landing-spots-for-donovan-mitchell-if-cavs-trade-star-guard-during-nba-offseason

"The buzz in NBA circles suggests that barring a run to the NBA Finals, Mitchell will decline an extension and look elsewhere"

If true, we have to get further than he's ever gotten to retain him lol yet the Cavs have failed to advance past the first round the past 2 seasons, sounds promising...

I don't know what Mitchell will do, but that article is the encapsulation of Knicks for Clicks. I mean read what you posted critically. That person doesn't have actual sources with knowledge. What does the *buzz in NBA circles* even mean? It's not *league sources close to Mitchell* which could at least mean his agent. It's not even *league* or *front office* sources which could at least mean the Nets front office. Also, bees buzz while human sources give actual statements. Unless I missed it, tere's not a single quoted statement in that Bleacher Report piece.

It's not hard to connect dots based on the Cavs abysmal play and Mitchell's growing public frustration.

We don't need an article to tell us Mitchell will sign with x team on x date during 2025 free agency. By the time that happens, it's far too late.

We just have to use a smidge of critical thinking and understand this thing is headed in the wrong direction.

Again, I'm not saying that Mitchell is extending this summer. What I am say is that article is straight nonsense. So if we lose a close ECF, Mitchell is not only leaving, but is forcing his way to the Knicks? Come on man. Don't be so credulous. That's a dude trying to get clicks.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#383 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:53 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

A good portion of the Cavs being pretty bad lately is Mitchell being fairly mediocre when he's out there.

He can be as frustrated as he wants with the team, he just needs to realize how much of it is on him personally or he's going to get frustrated at his next stop, too.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#384 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:26 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

A good portion of the Cavs being pretty bad lately is Mitchell being fairly mediocre when he's out there.

He can be as frustrated as he wants with the team, he just needs to realize how much of it is on him personally or he's going to get frustrated at his next stop, too.
Jb did defend Mitchell during the postgame Saturday saying a lot of his frustration is with himself but we'll see if that holds true in the long run.

He did get frustrated with the Jazz although that was more because of off court stuff.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#385 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Again, I'm not saying that Mitchell is extending this summer. What I am say is that article is straight nonsense. So if we lose a close ECF, Mitchell is not only leaving, but is forcing his way to the Knicks? Come on man. Don't be so credulous. That's a dude trying to get clicks.
Of course he's trying to get clicks, it's his job lol

The only point I'm making is what the guy is suggesting isn't that far fetched, source or no source. It's just a logical train of thought to assume the star play won't extend if the team isn't successful when it matters.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#386 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:50 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Oh, there are lots of possibilities, just few facts besides we can offer him a whole lot of security and money. The media (besides Bleacher Report) acts like they know Mitchell is going to leave, but not a peep about why. Of course they also knew Mitchell was going to be traded by the Jazz to the Knicks, they just didn't realize Mitchell was more than fine with going to the Cavs. He just didn't think it was a possibility without the Cavs gutting the team.
My personal gauge of the temperature and read of the room since the utter collapse that has been this season is... Mitchell is more than willing to fulfill his final season as a Cav, the guy didn't request a trade away from the Jazz.

The issue is, if/when he refuses to extend his contract for the 2nd summer in a row, it then becomes in the Cavs best interest to trade him. If the Cavs will actually do that remains to be seen, same with getting a new head coach.

However, i 100% believe when the article says anything less than a finals apperance (i could see ECF appearance being good enough in certain instances) and Mitchell's mind will be made up about the long term legitimacy of the Cavs.

At best, someone might know his thinking of the moment. He still has to make up his mind and he knows if he doesn't take the extension, that the Cavs will start shopping him. So, as much as he may want to keep his options open, not acting will likely close one so he'd better be good with that.

Four years straight now he's dealing with injury problems in the playoffs, if there's a silver lining I think it's all been different things; but knee problems related to wear & tear are always concerning.

So, on one hand Donovan needs to look in the mirror, but on the other he shouldn't have to carry this team. Yeah, sure, we can fire the coach but having that option isn't exactly an incentive. He will have until the season starts to decide if he wants to take the extension and that's not much time to evaluate a new coach and/or any roster changes. I guess it worked for Giannis because he got what he wanted, but if there's a lesson from that it's still tbd if he got what he needed.

Looks like there's a new rule that may come in to play too where Mitchell might not be eligible to be traded for 6 months after signing an extension.
Well, the Cavs can't afford to wait 3 months for Mitchell to make up his mind. It will be pretty bang bang. Offer the extension July 1st at midnight, then give him at most 1 week and even then that will put ya behind the 8 ball.

Realistically, Mitchell is gonna have over 2 full months to think about it, from when the Cavs exit the post season to the extension being offered. It should be a very quick phone call/conversation. Are you willing to extend yes or no? If it is yes but there are stipulations, hash those out in a meeting. If it is no, trade him.

They already have the Okoro RFA, Bates RFA, the draft, who to use the MLE on... Potetinally finding a new head coach, maybe even a new PoBo. They don't really have a lot of time to be messing around with Mitchell dragging things out.

PS that extension rule isn't new, Blake Griffin signed his extension July 19th 2017 and was traded to the Pistons January 29th 2018. But why would the Cavs trade Mitchell if he extended? That is counterintuitive.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#387 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:03 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:My personal gauge of the temperature and read of the room since the utter collapse that has been this season is... Mitchell is more than willing to fulfill his final season as a Cav, the guy didn't request a trade away from the Jazz.

The issue is, if/when he refuses to extend his contract for the 2nd summer in a row, it then becomes in the Cavs best interest to trade him. If the Cavs will actually do that remains to be seen, same with getting a new head coach.

However, i 100% believe when the article says anything less than a finals apperance (i could see ECF appearance being good enough in certain instances) and Mitchell's mind will be made up about the long term legitimacy of the Cavs.

At best, someone might know his thinking of the moment. He still has to make up his mind and he knows if he doesn't take the extension, that the Cavs will start shopping him. So, as much as he may want to keep his options open, not acting will likely close one so he'd better be good with that.

Four years straight now he's dealing with injury problems in the playoffs, if there's a silver lining I think it's all been different things; but knee problems related to wear & tear are always concerning.

So, on one hand Donovan needs to look in the mirror, but on the other he shouldn't have to carry this team. Yeah, sure, we can fire the coach but having that option isn't exactly an incentive. He will have until the season starts to decide if he wants to take the extension and that's not much time to evaluate a new coach and/or any roster changes. I guess it worked for Giannis because he got what he wanted, but if there's a lesson from that it's still tbd if he got what he needed.

Looks like there's a new rule that may come in to play too where Mitchell might not be eligible to be traded for 6 months after signing an extension.
Well, the Cavs can't afford to wait 3 months for Mitchell to make up his mind. It will be pretty bang bang. Offer the extension July 1st at midnight, then give him at most 1 week and even then that will put ya behind the 8 ball.

Realistically, Mitchell is gonna have over 2 full months to think about it, from when the Cavs exit the post season to the extension being offered. It should be a very quick phone call/conversation. Are you willing to extend yes or no? If it is yes but there are stipulations, hash those out in a meeting. If it is no, trade him.

They already have the Okoro RFA, Bates RFA, the draft, who to use the MLE on... Potetinally finding a new head coach, maybe even a new PoBo. They don't really have a lot of time to be messing around with Mitchell dragging things out.

PS that extension rule isn't new, Blake Griffin signed his extension July 19th 2017 and was traded to the Pistons January 29th 2018. But why would the Cavs trade Mitchell if he extended? That is counterintuitive.

The extension rule is something that only came in to effect due to the CBA changes in 2023. As for how quickly we trade him, as I've said in the past my hope is we don't jump the gun on a crappy offer. It would be great to settle things quickly, but opposing GM's can smell blood in the water.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#388 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:51 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The extension rule is something that only came in to effect due to the CBA changes in 2023. As for how quickly we trade him, as I've said in the past my hope is we don't jump the gun on a crappy offer. It would be great to settle things quickly, but opposing GM's can smell blood in the water.
Well, I'm not saying he has to be traded by July 4th but I'm saying the Cavs at least need to know they're gonna trade him prior to October 1st.

Just get his decision in the first 48 hours, then you can have a pretty normal off season, even if a trade doesn't materialize until after the Olympics, at least the path is established.

I just don't want to go into the season with Mitchell on an expiring contract, it's gonna make the entire season feel like a throw away.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#389 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:03 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, the Cavs can't afford to wait 3 months for Mitchell to make up his mind. It will be pretty bang bang. Offer the extension July 1st at midnight, then give him at most 1 week and even then that will put ya behind the 8 ball.

Well, I'm not saying he has to be traded by July 4th but I'm saying the Cavs at least need to know they're gonna trade him prior to October 1st.

Just get his decision in the first 48 hours, then you can have a pretty normal off season, even if a trade doesn't materialize until after the Olympics, at least the path is established.

I just don't want to go into the season with Mitchell on an expiring contract, it's gonna make the entire season feel like a throw away.

For sure, but that's also why other teams will try to low ball us initially, but if you're happy with Tyler Herro and some crappy picks from the Heat ...
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#390 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:09 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

For sure, but that's also why other teams will try to low ball us initially, but if you're happy with Tyler Herro and some crappy picks from the Heat ...
Like i said they can lowball you July 4th, nothing says you have to take it.

You just have to know July 2nd or 3rd or whenever that you're not waiting until October 1st for Mitchell to give you a yes or no on the contract extension.

Understanding you have to trade him early on doesn't mean you accept the first bad package. It just means you can work the phones for several months vs scrambling trying to trade Mitchell during the preseason and being forced to either hold onto him into the season, losing him for nothing, or taking the first crap offer in October because they waited 90 days for his decision.

I'm telling you, I'm giving him a short window to say yes and otherwise I'm assuming it's a no and going on with my summer with the mindset he will not be on the team next season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#391 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:25 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, I'm not saying he has to be traded by July 4th but I'm saying the Cavs at least need to know they're gonna trade him prior to October 1st.

You just have to know July 2nd or 3rd or whenever that you're not waiting until October 1st for Mitchell to give you a yes or no on the contract extension.

Understanding you have to trade him early on doesn't mean you accept the first bad package. It just means you can work the phones for several months vs scrambling trying to trade Mitchell during the preseason and being forced to either hold onto him into the season, losing him for nothing, or taking the first crap offer in October because they waited 90 days for his decision.

I'm telling you, I'm giving him a short window to say yes and otherwise I'm assuming it's a no and going on with my summer with the mindset he will not be on the team next season.

If Mitchell doesn't take the extension shortly after it's offered to him, by all means they should start serious trade discussions. I just think getting the best return for him is tricky business and there's too much at stake to rush a trade or put an artificial deadline on trading him like we did with Kyrie.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#392 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:03 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If Mitchell doesn't take the extension shortly after it's offered to him, by all means they should start serious trade discussions. I just think getting the best return for him is tricky business and there's too much at stake to rush a trade or put an artificial deadline on trading him like we did with Kyrie.
It's tough to get a return on a guy that will essentially be an expiring and has been rumored to the Knicks for 2 seasons, especially if he stinks it up in the playoffs again. However, the Cavs have to get something. Something is better than nothing. Lauri Markkanen became an All-Star and Agbaji was later flipped for an additional 1st rounder. So the pieces the Cavs get back for Mitchell may not look great on the surface but time will tell.

As far as the Kyrie thing, the timeline wasn't really artificial. It came out the guy was gonna get season ending surgery if they didn't trade him. On top of that they had an expiring age 33 season LeBron, they were trying to maximize his window because most everyone assumed he was leaving again.

The Cavs do not have that same pressure this time given their next 2 best players are 24 and about to be 23. They have 4 more seasons before they're even in their prime.

The Mitchell experiment didn't work, cost the Cavs a lot of draft capital. If he doesn't extend, time to move on.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#393 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:40 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Like i said they can lowball you July 4th, nothing says you have to take it.

It's tough to get a return on a guy that will essentially be an expiring and has been rumored to the Knicks for 2 seasons, especially if he stinks it up in the playoffs again. However, the Cavs have to get something. Something is better than nothing. Lauri Markkanen became an All-Star and Agbaji was later flipped for an additional 1st rounder. So the pieces the Cavs get back for Mitchell may not look great on the surface but time will tell.

As far as the Kyrie thing, the timeline wasn't really artificial. It came out the guy was gonna get season ending surgery if they didn't trade him. On top of that they had an expiring age 33 season LeBron, they were trying to maximize his window because most everyone assumed he was leaving again.

The Cavs do not have that same pressure this time given their next 2 best players are 24 and about to be 23. They have 4 more seasons before they're even in their prime.

The Mitchell experiment didn't work, cost the Cavs a lot of draft capital. If he doesn't extend, time to move on.

It's a weird thing for a Cavs fan to say the guys we gave up for Mitchell were 'nothing', from fans of other team's? Sure, they might think that. Either way, a good GM doesn't base his evaluation of players in a package based on fan evaluation.

Alas, we're not run by Danny Ainge, Justin Zanick, and the rest of the Jazz FO. We're leaning on Koby Altman, who's first big trade just happened to net us a physically broken down Isaiah Thomas, Ante Zizic, and mentally broken down Jae Crowder; but our owner didn't care because he got his hands on that Nets pick.

Not to mention, there were other offers on the table for Kyrie we passed on including a Bucks package reportedly with Middleton, Brogdon, and a future #1.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#394 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

It's a weird thing for a Cavs fan to say the guys we gave up for Mitchell were 'nothing', from fans of other team's? Sure, they might think that. Either way, a good GM doesn't base his evaluation of players in a package based on fan evaluation.

Alas, we're not run by Danny Ainge, Justin Zanick, and the rest of the Jazz FO. We're leaning on Koby Altman, who's first big trade just happened to net us a physically broken down Isaiah Thomas, Ante Zizic, and mentally broken down Jae Crowder; but our owner didn't care because he got his hands on that Nets pick.

Not to mention, there were other offers on the table for Kyrie we passed on including a Bucks package reportedly with Middleton, Brogdon, and a future #1.

I'm just saying on the surface no one expected Markkanen to be an All-Star or Agbaji to 1. Be traded that soon 2. To net a 1st rounder. So I'm saying you have no idea what Herro could potetinally become with the Cavs, he has played in the Finals before after all. Plus who knows what other kind of assets could be thrown in. Or any other team, you could say the same thing about what is coming back to the Cavs.

To the "we're not run by Danny Ainge" point. All i will say is you coulda fooled me lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#395 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:05 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:It's tough to get a return on a guy that will essentially be an expiring and has been rumored to the Knicks for 2 seasons, especially if he stinks it up in the playoffs again. However, the Cavs have to get something. Something is better than nothing. Lauri Markkanen became an All-Star and Agbaji was later flipped for an additional 1st rounder. So the pieces the Cavs get back for Mitchell may not look great on the surface but time will tell.

I'm just saying on the surface no one expected Markkanen to be an All-Star or Agbaji to 1. Be traded that soon 2. To net a 1st rounder. So I'm saying you have no idea what Herro could potetinally become with the Cavs, he has played in the Finals before after all. Plus who knows what other kind of assets could be thrown in. Or any other team, you could say the same thing about what is coming back to the Cavs.

To the "we're not run by Danny Ainge" point. All i will say is you coulda fooled me lol

There were people who believed what were they were seeing from Lauri over the Summer playing for Finland and there were those who dismissed it, but he wasn't a "nothing" even before that. In fact, there were lots of good arguments that he needed time to undo the bulking up he went through for the Bulls so he could play C for them.

If anything the take-away should be that when you have players entering their prime and put them on a team that lets them play to their strengths, that you may very well see huge leaps in performance.

Also, apparently the Raptors were primarily interested in adding Olynyk due to his relationship with Barrett and floor spacing. Sounds like Agbaji was more of a sweetener. Maybe we can even get Ochai back, his performance has kind of tanked since landing in Canada.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,684

Post#396 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:13 pm

A persistent rumuor over the years has been Mitchell would like to return home to play for the Knicks, but with Brunson giving the Knicks everything from the guard position that they could have hoped to get out of Mitchell, I suspect mutual interest for that move has sailed for the time being.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#397 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:34 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:A persistent rumuor over the years has been Mitchell would like to return home to play for the Knicks, but with Brunson giving the Knicks everything from the guard position that they could have hoped to get out of Mitchell, I suspect mutual interest for that move has sailed for the time being.

I suppose that depends how the playoffs go and how well the Knicks respond when opponents focus in on Brunson.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers