Moderator: ijspeelman

TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#281 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:16 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Oh, now they're upgrades lol you've been very vocal all summer about how Strus will be a bench guy behind Okoro, Niang won't even be a rotation piece behind Wade, and we have no back-up 5 because Jones isn't it. I don't think you even ever mentioned TJ.

First off, I never said Strus should be backing up Okoro, I said he should be backing up Mitchell at the two guard spot. You don't even have the guy I want starting at SF correct. I've stated multiple times now that it should be Wade, not Okoro. Second, I've also stated multiple times now that him being a backup has everything to do with him just not being tall enough in my opinion to be the rightful starting SF, it has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. What part of that you're finding so hard to understand I have no idea, but apparently you're still not getting it. If the day comes that we trade Mitchell, unless we get a better SG out of the deal, Strus is perfect to insert into the starting SG spot. Either way, very strange for you to even try to argue that I don't consider Strus to be a big pickup for Cleveland after I've raved about his abilities as a player and argued with countless people about how his contract that many claim is an overpay for him isn't actually an overpay. Pretty obvious I value him highly, but sure, keep pushing that narrative.

I don't recall ever stating that Niang won't be in the rotation, and if I did then I'm not sure why I would say that. He's going to get minutes. I do recall stating that he shouldn't be getting more time than Wade, which is an opinion I still stand by.

And yes, I've mentioned TJ.

JujitsuFlip wrote:Anyway, that point aside you're aware the Knicks still have a younger average age (25.6) than the Cavs (26.7), correct?

As another user just pointed out, the average age of the starting lineups pretty much kills this point.

JujitsuFlip wrote:You're also aware that the Knicks have 6 first round picks over the next 2 years vs the Cavs 1, right?

You are aware that most of them are protected right? The only one I can see NY actually getting is the Dallas one. But Charlotte? WA? Those are definitely going right back to their respective teams unless they somehow manage to perform well above expectations. Second year is tough to say.

Riddle me this, how is Wade simultaneously taking Strus and Niang's minutes in the rotation?

They're still assets, to improve their roster, something the Cavs do not have.

Dallas will be a top 20 team this season or next.

Washington has until 2026 to convey the pick.

Detroit has until 2027 to convey that pick.

He’s not.

Cleveland absolutely has assets to improve their roster. Both Mitchell and Allen for that matter (who I don’t want traded but for the sake of argument I’ll include him) are very capable of bringing in not just the picks, but potential players as well that can fill out the spots needed to build around Garland and Mobley. And it’s even better if Mitchell ends up staying in the end.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#282 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I know JB essentially only plays the starters but that is hardly relevant to how well either team can build in the next couple years, if/when Mitchell ends up on the Knicks.

It speaks to the age of the most valued core players on the team rather than the age of the spare parts, which at the moment includes Mitchell. If/when that changes we're certainly free to re-evaluate.

Speaking of roster turnover, the only other player left from when Darius was a rookie is Dean Wade, and he played all of 71 minutes that season.

Some roster stability would be nice, but we'll have to settle on a starting SF before we can get there.
I'm just saying to act like the Knicks are locked into not improving when they have 6 first rounders the next 2 drafts and tons of young guys on cheap deals plus pretty decent guys on larger deals for salary matching is absurd.

There's a world where Mitchell signs with the Knicks in the summer of 2025 and that not be the only move they make to improve the roster, where the Cavs will then have Mobley, Garland, and not much else to speak of.

So for TheLand to say the Knicks for sure have a worse trajectory than the Cavs after just curb stomping them is pretty mind boggling to me.

That’s twice now that you’ve mentioned that the Knicks beat the Cavs. And yeah, they beat them soundly, no one is denying it, but as numerous people have pointed out in the past and will continue to point out, the Knicks simply matched up better. That’s all there is to it. If you want to pretend that their picks, half of which could end up not even being theirs, will make up for Cleveland having two players that have superstar trajectory compared to them who have 0, by all means feel free to die on that hill. But as I just said before, Cleveland improved this off-season and NY got worse. So far this isn’t up for debate. If Cleveland somehow ends up being worse as a team this year however, that’s a different story and something I’ll gladly eat crow for. Until then, Cleveland’s got the brighter future, and there isn’t really anything that gives me a reason to think otherwise.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Post#283 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:42 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
First off, I never said Strus should be backing up Okoro, I said he should be backing up Mitchell at the two guard spot. You don't even have the guy I want starting at SF correct. I've stated multiple times now that it should be Wade, not Okoro. Second, I've also stated multiple times now that him being a backup has everything to do with him just not being tall enough in my opinion to be the rightful starting SF, it has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. What part of that you're finding so hard to understand I have no idea, but apparently you're still not getting it. If the day comes that we trade Mitchell, unless we get a better SG out of the deal, Strus is perfect to insert into the starting SG spot. Either way, very strange for you to even try to argue that I don't consider Strus to be a big pickup for Cleveland after I've raved about his abilities as a player and argued with countless people about how his contract that many claim is an overpay for him isn't actually an overpay. Pretty obvious I value him highly, but sure, keep pushing that narrative.

I don't recall ever stating that Niang won't be in the rotation, and if I did then I'm not sure why I would say that. He's going to get minutes. I do recall stating that he shouldn't be getting more time than Wade, which is an opinion I still stand by.

And yes, I've mentioned TJ.

As another user just pointed out, the average age of the starting lineups pretty much kills this point.

You are aware that most of them are protected right? The only one I can see NY actually getting is the Dallas one. But Charlotte? WA? Those are definitely going right back to their respective teams unless they somehow manage to perform well above expectations. Second year is tough to say.

Riddle me this, how is Wade simultaneously taking Strus and Niang's minutes in the rotation?

He’s not.

Cleveland absolutely has assets to improve their roster. Both Mitchell and Allen for that matter (who I don’t want traded but for the sake of argument I’ll include him) are very capable of bringing in not just the picks, but potential players as well that can fill out the spots needed to build around Garland and Mobley. And it’s even better if Mitchell ends up staying in the end.
Well, you think Strus isn't the starting SF and you think Niang isn't the back-up PF. Your reasoning for both of those is Wade...
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#284 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:56 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I know JB essentially only plays the starters but that is hardly relevant to how well either team can build in the next couple years, if/when Mitchell ends up on the Knicks.

It speaks to the age of the most valued core players on the team rather than the age of the spare parts, which at the moment includes Mitchell. If/when that changes we're certainly free to re-evaluate.

Speaking of roster turnover, the only other player left from when Darius was a rookie is Dean Wade, and he played all of 71 minutes that season.

Some roster stability would be nice, but we'll have to settle on a starting SF before we can get there.
I'm just saying to act like the Knicks are locked into not improving when they have 6 first rounders the next 2 drafts and tons of young guys on cheap deals plus pretty decent guys on larger deals for salary matching is absurd.

There's a world where Mitchell signs with the Knicks in the summer of 2025 and that not be the only move they make to improve the roster, where the Cavs will then have Mobley, Garland, and not much else to speak of.

So for TheLand to say the Knicks for sure have a worse trajectory than the Cavs after just curb stomping them is pretty mind boggling to me.

I don't find it mind boggling, and that you do makes me wonder if you're suffering from a lack of optimism because you're more detached than the rest of us because of the limited number of games you watch.

But sure, in the worst case, the Cavs could be a train wreck and the Knicks a contender. It's been the opposite for much of the past 20 years, but what do I know? Maybe handing their team over to CAA was a stroke of pure brilliance and Tom Thibbadeau won't wear out his welcome for a change.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#285 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I don't find it mind boggling, and that you do makes me wonder if you're suffering from a lack of optimism because you're more detached than the rest of us because of the limited number of games you watch.

But sure, in the worst case, the Cavs could be a train wreck and the Knicks a contender. It's been the opposite for much of the past 20 years, but what do I know? Maybe handing their team over to CAA was a stroke of pure brilliance and Tom Thibbadeau won't wear out his welcome for a change.
I watched the last 5 games of the season, which turned out to be the 5 most important games.

Who sits in front of the TV more isn't gonna alter the Knicks have more tradeable assets to upgrade their core than the Cavs do.

I see no scenario where Mitchell would pick the Cavs over the Knicks, if the Knicks are where his heart is due to the Cavs being the better team.

If you remove Mitchell from either roster, it looks like...

1. Garland
2. Brunson
3. Randle
4. Mobley

I'd say those 4 pretty much cancel out talent wise, with the Cavs players having higher ceilings.

5. Allen
6. RJ
7. Robinson
8. Quickley
9. Hart
10. Divencenzo
11. LeVert
12. Grimes
13. Strus

On the middle talent, it's not even close, heavily in the Knicks favor.

14. Okoro
15. Hartenstein
16. Sims
17. TJ
18. McBride
19. Niang
20. Rubio
21. Wade
22. Fournier
23. Jones

The back end talent is pretty even, maybe a slight edge to the Cavs, just depends.

Then the Knicks with 6 picks the next 2 drafts and the Cavs with 1 pick.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#286 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Riddle me this, how is Wade simultaneously taking Strus and Niang's minutes in the rotation?

He’s not.

Well, you think Strus isn't the starting SF and you think Niang isn't the back-up PF. Your reasoning for both of those is Wade...

First, I conceded that Strus will probably be the starting SF. I just don’t think he SHOULD be the starting SF. I think it should be Wade.

Second, I decided to look back on my posts and you’re actually right on the second part, I did say that Niang probably isn’t getting minutes, and that’s just not true. Niang is way too good of a shooter for Cleveland to leave out of the rotation. With that said, I completely forgot about LeVert, who is definitely going to get minutes. So uh… yeah, Wade probably isn’t getting minutes.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#287 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:58 am

TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
He’s not.

First, I conceded that Strus will probably be the starting SF. I just don’t think he SHOULD be the starting SF. I think it should be Wade.

Second, I decided to look back on my posts and you’re actually right on the second part, I did say that Niang probably isn’t getting minutes, and that’s just not true. Niang is way too good of a shooter for Cleveland to leave out of the rotation. With that said, I completely forgot about LeVert, who is definitely going to get minutes. So uh… yeah, Wade probably isn’t getting minutes.
It's a good problem to have.

It would be nice to have a coach who could use Strus, LeVert, Okoro, Niang, Wade, and to a lesser extent TJ situationally.

If they want to space it out, Niang and Strus make sense. If they wanna go more up tempo or ball handling then LeVert makes sense. If they wanna go more defense Okoro and Wade makes sense.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#288 » by TheLand13 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:13 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, you think Strus isn't the starting SF and you think Niang isn't the back-up PF. Your reasoning for both of those is Wade...

It would be nice to have a coach who could use Strus, LeVert, Okoro, Niang, Wade, and to a lesser extent TJ situationally.

If they want to space it out, Niang and Strus make sense. If they wanna go more up tempo or ball handling then LeVert makes sense. If they wanna go more defense Okoro and Wade makes sense.

I personally have no problem with them just talking Okoro out of the rotation entirely.

After all, it’s not like we can’t make up for what he brings. Wade doesn’t have his perimeter defense, but he’s still pretty damn good in that regard. I’m more concerned with just making sure that we have someone who can still help stretch the floor on top of being able to play great defense. That’s why I don’t think Strus should start at SF.

But as a backup to Mitchell? Perfect in every way. I love the idea of Rubio having a bench unit of Strus/Levert/Niang to work with. It’s a shame Kevin Love isn’t here anymore, but regardless, you’re correct in that it’s a good problem to have.

And if Mitchell does end up being traded later, then Strus is perfect for the starting SG spot.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#289 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:26 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:I watched the last 5 games of the season, which turned out to be the 5 most important games.

Who sits in front of the TV more isn't gonna alter the Knicks have more tradeable assets to upgrade their core than the Cavs do.

I just can't see how it can't color your perspective, which is why I pointed it out. Which is not the same thing as being wrong, but it's going to lead to a difference in opinions.

JujitsuFlip wrote:I see no scenario where Mitchell would pick the Cavs over the Knicks, if the Knicks are where his heart is due to the Cavs being the better team.

And that's where I cut you off because only Mitchell knows what he wants and only the Knicks know what they want. They had their chance to trade for him and held back because they wanted to reserve enough "assets" to trade for another star. So, instead we have Mitchell and they have some sort of plan to sign every Villanova, Kentucky, or CAA player that hasn't yet found them that 2nd star let alone a 3rd.

I wouldn't trade Mitchell, Garland, Mobley, or Allen for anyone on the Knicks and certainly not for an assortment of their crappy picks; but that opinion is not drawn from the last 5 games of the season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#290 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:59 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:

I personally have no problem with them just talking Okoro out of the rotation entirely.

After all, it’s not like we can’t make up for what he brings. Wade doesn’t have his perimeter defense, but he’s still pretty damn good in that regard. I’m more concerned with just making sure that we have someone who can still help stretch the floor on top of being able to play great defense. That’s why I don’t think Strus should start at SF.

But as a backup to Mitchell? Perfect in every way. I love the idea of Rubio having a bench unit of Strus/Levert/Niang to work with. It’s a shame Kevin Love isn’t here anymore, but regardless, you’re correct in that it’s a good problem to have.

And if Mitchell does end up being traded later, then Strus is perfect for the starting SG spot.

Wade is a good defender compared to Kevin Love; but Okoro is on another level. Minimally I expect Okoro to be used as a designated defender when we need to slow someone down. I also don't discount Isaac's success and JBB's faith in him. Strus/LeVert/whoever need to actually beat him out, not just shoot better on paper.

Consider Max Strus has a -1.1 +/- and a 55 TS% in 33 games as a starter with the Heat last season .vs. Isaac's +3.9 and 62 TS% in 46 games.

In other words, we believe his gravity can do great things for us, perhaps even let him get away with playing SF even though he's physically less capable of that than Isaac. We can hope our offense will be so much improved we won't have to worry what opposing wings are doing to our wings. So maybe we can overcome the fact that Miami's defense was 115.9pp100 with Strus on the floor .vs. our defense being 112.5pp100 with Isaac on the floor?

Seems to me we still have a problem at SF that's going to have to get sorted out on the floor for now and in the long-run addressed by someone stepping up, or a trade yet to happen. Perhaps when we have some assets next Summer.

If we did indeed in fact improve our bench depth, it should give us more options. For instance, we may be able to start Caris at SF without hurting the bench. A bench rotation with Rubio/Strus/Niang/Mobley with either Garland or Mitchell could be deadly, and we still have the option to use Jerome, Merrill, Wade, Jones, or IMobley if we've built up a lead and prefer to rest our starters.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#291 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I watched the last 5 games of the season, which turned out to be the 5 most important games.

I just can't see how it can't color your perspective, which is why I pointed it out. Which is not the same thing as being wrong, but it's going to lead to a difference in opinions.

JujitsuFlip wrote:I see no scenario where Mitchell would pick the Cavs over the Knicks, if the Knicks are where his heart is due to the Cavs being the better team.

And that's where I cut you off because only Mitchell knows what he wants and only the Knicks know what they want. They had their chance to trade for him and held back because they wanted to reserve enough "assets" to trade for another star. So, instead we have Mitchell and they have some sort of plan to sign every Villanova, Kentucky, or CAA player that hasn't yet found them that 2nd star let alone a 3rd.

I wouldn't trade Mitchell, Garland, Mobley, or Allen for anyone on the Knicks and certainly not for an assortment of their crappy picks; but that opinion is not drawn from the last 5 games of the season.
Your last 2 paragraphs don't mean Mitchell can't walk free in 2025 though...
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 859

Post#292 » by ijspeelman » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:12 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

He can, but will he?

The only thing stopping Mobley and Garland from leaving is their rookie extensions and even then if they asked out we'd most likely bend to their will. Yes, there have been many reports about Mitchell's infatuation with the Knicks due to its proximity to his family. Mitchell has never tested free agency so we have no clue what he wants.

To me, and this still completely speculative, he seems like he wants to win. I believe if we can prove to be a growing, winning potential contender that he'd like to stick around. If that is the case, that seemed to be the Cavs FO's plan the whole time.

If Mitchell is going to book it no matter what, he's not a bad guy to have around mentoring young guys while playing his prime in Cleveland. We can always trade him next season if we have to to recoup assets or retool around Garland and Mobley.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#293 » by TheLand13 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:35 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

It won't get to that point.

If Mitchell doesn't re-up with Cleveland in 2024, they're trading him the first chance they get. This isn't like both LeBron situations. Cleveland knows they can't afford to let Mitchell go for nothing under any circumstances, so they are going to trade him if it gets to that point.

The only question (and it's a good one) is where do you trade him, because as people have pointed out before, it's going to be tough to find a team willing to take on a more than likely one year rental of Mitchell unless they truly think he's going to reup.

The Brooklyn Nets have been a consistently popular trade destination to Cleveland fans. With their loads of talented SF's and location, it feels like an easy trade partner. But the thing is, why would they want Mitchell in the first place if they aren't in any position to contend? Who knows at this point, but regardless, they've got guys Cleveland wants and I'm almost certain they're going to be the first team Cleveland calls if it gets to that point.

And if it does, you'll take what you can get. There's no way Cleveland is getting the trade package that Utah got for Mitchell unless he manages to have a noticeably better season than last, and I'm okay with that. I don't think Cleveland needs five first round picks considering their almost guaranteed to be consistent playoff performers for years to come. Good to great rotation pieces around their soon to be star duo should be more than enough.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#294 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:57 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, we can trade him to the Knicks in 2024 and then he can "walk free" in 2025.

There's all sorts of possible outcomes, why do you fixate on the one where Altman and Gilbert decide to put all their trust in Mitchell and then they either fail him or he betrays them?

You don't think they'd had enough of that in 2010?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#295 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:54 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, we can trade him to the Knicks in 2024 and then he can "walk free" in 2025.

There's all sorts of possible outcomes, why do you fixate on the one where Altman and Gilbert decide to put all their trust in Mitchell and then they either fail him or he betrays them?

Well, like TheLand pointed out, the longer they wait to trade Mitchell, the less the return is.

They should obviously get anything over nothing but Koby's track record isn't good when it comes to getting assets for expiring pieces.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#296 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:05 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Your last 2 paragraphs don't mean Mitchell can't walk free in 2025 though...

Well, like TheLand pointed out, the longer they wait to trade Mitchell, the less the return is.

They should obviously get anything over nothing but Koby's track record isn't good when it comes to getting assets for expiring pieces.

Mitchell has actual value even to a team that doesn't think they'd be able to sign him.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#297 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:27 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Mitchell has actual value even to a team that doesn't think they'd be able to sign him.
Maybe but not value to the likes of 6 first rounders, an All-Star, and some guy named Sexton.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#298 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:57 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, like TheLand pointed out, the longer they wait to trade Mitchell, the less the return is.

Maybe but not value to the likes of 6 first rounders, an All-Star, and some guy named Sexton.

They got Mitchell + 2FRPs by the logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#299 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:41 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

They got Mitchell + 2FRPs by the logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#300 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:54 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, like TheLand pointed out, the longer they wait to trade Mitchell, the less the return is.

Point here is that Mitchell won't just be an expiring player like the ones we've tried to dangle in the past. He'll have actual value even to a team that just wants to try to make a run. And if he insists on playing in NYC, there's a chance we can get the Knicks and Nets in to a bidding war to secure his Bird rights.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers