JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Re: Love Bought Out 

Post#123 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:12 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I am not confusing anything. The sample size you're talking about in the first season with Hill, Hood, and Love was very small. Hill wanted out almost immediately and Love got injured and shut down early on. Hood eventually got his trade request honored at the deadline.

The second season started with complaints about Sexton's FGAs right out of training camp. I'll never forget Beilein's quote in response that it was no big deal and there's often tension between the top two shooters or some such nonsense. It was at that moment I knew he was clueless. If the plan was to allow Sexton to do whatever he wanted in the name of *development,* then only an idiot would think a player 18 months removed from an all star appearance would be good would that, especially given how poorly the team played.

This isn't college. There's a reason teams who decide to move on from players on big contracts showcase them so they can trade them for the best value they can get. The irony of using Nance as an example of a good teammate, who requested a trade out of the Sexton centric Cavs so he could play on a competitive team, is too much. But it's telling that none of the guys who were still obligated to play with Sexton spoke up, and that the Cavs as an organization decided to shop him the same summer Nance made those comments.

If as you say, the Cavs were all-in on a rebuild when they hired Beilein, they had two choices. You either give it a couple months with a Love centric offense and let him stat pad to increase his trade value, or you move him for whatever you can get at the start of the season before the water boils over. What you don't do is refuse to trade him because you've concluded he's an *asset* who's being unfairly valued and then run the offense through an undersized shot hunter.

Love was a PF and a huge part of his game depended upon guards getting him the ball in his spots and in a timely matter. His reaction was predictable and no vet of his caliber was going to be good with what transpired, especially on year one of an extension and entering the back nine of his career.

It was dumb to believe Love would be good with uber selfish play and inexplicable that it continued as the Cavs were getting blown on a nightly basis for months on end.

Not for nothing, but force feeding young players unearned minutes who are playing selfishly isn't development. Sexton's first experience with development occurred this year in Utah where he was told he'd be coming off the bench until he'd actually do what was asked.

So, when was Darius Garland's first experience with "development"? :lol:

Suffice it to say, we're in just about total disagreement on this topic.

Garland averaged less than 12 FGA per game his rookie year (and 3.9 assists).

Sexton averaged 16.7 FGA and 3 assists the same season.

TT's FGAs ballooned to 9.9 FGA from Sexton driving to the rim without a plan B. Highest of TT's career.

Kevin Love averaged 13 FGA and 3.2 assists that year.

I'll spare you the usage rates, but Garland was not the problem, and he certainly wasn't the problem in the way that Sexton was as far as eating possessions.

Fact is Sexton did develop ... his ability to shoot and finish improved from year to year, even his passing game improved slightly. He accepted being moved over to SG, and then he accepted a new role where he wasn't expected to try to score on his own unless the shot clock was running down. He's even accepted the 6th man role in Utah while Conley was still there.

And what exactly was your expectation for Love? That he'd return to the 26 & 13 player he was for just a couple of seasons in Minnesota before all his back problems?

17 & 10 on 13 FGA is pretty much the best we've seen of Kevin in the later part of his career and he averaged that in Collin's first and second seasons.

We all know there were things on the floor Collin didn't see because he's wired to score and moves so quickly he doesn't/can't take in everything going on around him. Benching him wasn't going to change that. You feel he was a selfish player, but in reality he always did what was asked of him, worked hard on his game, and best I can recall never showed up a teammate or his coach.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,509

Post#124 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:51 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
So, when was Darius Garland's first experience with "development"? :lol:

Suffice it to say, we're in just about total disagreement on this topic.

TT's FGAs ballooned to 9.9 FGA from Sexton driving to the rim without a plan B. Highest of TT's career.

I'll spare you the usage rates, but Garland was not the problem, and he certainly wasn't the problem in the way that Sexton was as far as eating possessions.

Fact is Sexton did develop ... his ability to shoot and finish improved from year to year, even his passing game improved slightly. He accepted being moved over to SG, and then he accepted a new role where he wasn't expected to try to score on his own unless the shot clock was running down. He's even accepted the 6th man role in Utah while Conley was still there.

And what exactly was your expectation for Love? That he'd return to the 26 & 13 player he was for just a couple of seasons in Minnesota before all his back problems?

17 & 10 on 13 FGA is pretty much the best we've seen of Kevin in the later part of his career and he averaged that in Collin's first and second seasons.

We all know there were things on the floor Collin didn't see because he's wired to score and moves so quickly he doesn't/can't take in everything going on around him. Benching him wasn't going to change that. You feel he was a selfish player, but in reality he always did what was asked of him, worked hard on his game, and best I can recall never showed up a teammate or his coach.

There's more than one way to show up a coach or teammate. Kyrie was pretty adept at saying the right things publicly and doing whatever he wanted on the floor. If you think Sexton was doing what was asked him, then you have a lower opinion of Beilein than I do, which is something I wouldn't have thought possible.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#125 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:45 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

There's more than one way to show up a coach or teammate. Kyrie was pretty adept at saying the right things publicly and doing whatever he wanted on the floor. If you think Sexton was doing what was asked him, then you have a lower opinion of Beilein than I do, which is something I wouldn't have thought possible.

And what evidence do you have that Collin was just doing whatever he wanted, ignoring his coach, and ignoring his teammates?

Kyrie could have initiated the offense quicker, he could have tried to get his teammates more involved, but he didn't want to and we know this because he literally said "that's 23's job".

And Ty Lue still wouldn't do anything about it.

Meanwhile I've pointed out multiple times Collin has been asked to change his game for the betterment of the team and in each case he's accepted it and tried to do it. The trick is obviously asking him to do things he's capable of doing.

Move the ball? Sure.

Don't take a shot until the clock is running down? Yep.

Accept a sixth man role? Ok, as long as he's not getting less money because of it.

Whatcha got?

Anonymous scout says he's an **** and a player no longer with the team calls it BS?

Even Beilein took the blame for that one play that pissed Love off so much. He called for Collin to run clock and Collin didn't go against the call just because Love was being defended by CP3 and was going ****. So, in that case - what Collin was actually guilty of was listening to his coach.

Kevin Love was a feel good story where we had some excess payroll and a chance to show that playing with LeBron is not the only reason to want to play for the Cavs and maybe even sell some season tickets. It might have been nice to keep the story rolling, but JBB chose to double down on defense and we all know Kevin is tragic on that end of the floor and our scheme exposes him more than it protects him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:22 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

And what evidence do you have that Collin was just doing whatever he wanted, ignoring his coach, and ignoring his teammates?

Kyrie could have initiated the offense quicker, he could have tried to get his teammates more involved, but he didn't want to and we know this because he literally said "that's 23's job".

Meanwhile I've pointed out multiple times Collin has been asked to change his game for the betterment of the team and in each case he's accepted it and tried to do it. The trick is obviously asking him to do things he's capable of doing.

Move the ball? Sure.

Accept a sixth man role? Ok, as long as he's not getting less money because of it.

Whatcha got?

Anonymous scout says he's an **** and a player no longer with the team calls it BS?

Even Beilein took the blame for that one play that pissed Love off so much. He called for Collin to run clock and Collin didn't go against the call just because Love was being defended by CP3 and was going ****. So, in that case - what Collin was actually guilty of was listening to his coach.

Kevin Love was a feel good story where we had some excess payroll and a chance to show that playing with LeBron is not the only reason to want to play for the Cavs and maybe even sell some season tickets. It might have been nice to keep the story rolling, but JBB chose to double down on defense and we all know Kevin is tragic on that end of the floor and our scheme exposes him more than it protects him.

I don't know man. It seems like a lot of your examples of Sexton's putative acceptance of changes came either after his money was in real jeopardy and/or were things over which he had no control. Accepting that Garland was the starting PG? The team had made that decision and he couldn’t change it. What he could, and did do was make sure it never impacted his usage while on the court. Accepting that he was a sixth man? What was he supposed to do, run out on the court with the rest of the starters and get a tech? Again, the team had made its decision.

The reality is that after the Cavs made it clear they weren't going to pay him No. 1 option money, and his trade value around the NBA was decidedly meh after being shopped, he wasn't in a position to buck without further jeopardizing his money.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,705

Post#127 » by toooskies » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Move the ball? Sure.

Whatcha got?

I don't know man. It seems like a lot of your examples of Sexton's putative acceptance of changes came either after his money was in real jeopardy and/or were things over which he had no control. Accepting that Garland was the starting PG? The team had made that decision and he couldn’t change it. What he could, and did do was make sure it never impacted his usage while on the court. Accepting that he was a sixth man? What was he supposed to do, run out on the court with the rest of the starters and get a tech? Again, the team had made its decision.

The reality is that after the Cavs made it clear they weren't going to pay him No. 1 option money, and his trade value around the NBA was decidedly meh after being shopped, he wasn't in a position to buck without further jeopardizing his money.

Even if you're correct, that the reality of the money situation made him re-evaluate, you have to give it to him that many basketball players in the past haven't adjusted to those kinds of financial realities.

Sexton is over in Utah shooting 50/40/80 on career low shooting attempts per 36. Now that he has his bag he's continuing to develop his game in the direction of being a better team player and more efficient player.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:18 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Move the ball? Sure.

Whatcha got?

Even if you're correct, that the reality of the money situation made him re-evaluate, you have to give it to him that many basketball players in the past haven't adjusted to those kinds of financial realities.

Sexton is over in Utah shooting 50/40/80 on career low shooting attempts per 36. Now that he has his bag he's continuing to develop his game in the direction of being a better team player and more efficient player.

He may eventually get there, although if their board is any indication, Jazz fans are shocked at how bad he is defensively. But the Jazz also didn't hand him the starting job or allow him to take as many shots as he liked. He came off the bench and had to earn his minutes. An approach it took the Cavs until his 4th season to adopt.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#129 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Move the ball? Sure.

Whatcha got?

You know what he could have done?

Any of the things Kevin did when he was pissed off and flew off the handle including tuning out of the team, stopped working hard, and asking to be bought out.

But again, feel free to backup you're theory that Collin was an awful teammates that deserved to be benched. Dismissing my counter-evidence does NOT do that. And let me make something clear here. I know a lot of Cavs history (give or take what I've forgotten) and if I wanted to cherry pick my arguments, I very well could - but I don't do that. If I could think of something that supported your case, I'd hand it to you on a silver platter. In fact, I bought up the only thing that was even close ... that anonymous tweet which Nance Jr went out of his way to refute.

And if we really want to go off the rails here and start guessing what might have been going on behind the scenes, well, you know ... technically speaking both Collin and Kevin are gone. One difference is we know the Cavs were in talks with Collin to offer him a new contract multiple times. As for Kevin? Hmm. No talks about an extension I can recall. No strong desire to hold on to his Bird rights. The coach wouldn't even throw him a bone like promise to move him back in the rotation after the break to see if his thumb/back were feeling better.

But hey, no problem throwing Danny Green less than a year from ACL surgery with a TS% closer to the Mendoza line than to Kevin's; right in the fire.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,705

Post#130 » by toooskies » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:13 pm

Yeah, ultimately it was clear from the outside that Love's shot was messed up from the thumb injury. Especially with Wade not getting more than 10 minutes a game, I'm pretty surprised that Love didn't have another opportunity on the horizon. Which leads me to believe that the front office was ready to see him out the door.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#131 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:31 pm

toooskies wrote:Yeah, ultimately it was clear from the outside that Love's shot was messed up from the thumb injury. Especially with Wade not getting more than 10 minutes a game, I'm pretty surprised that Love didn't have another opportunity on the horizon. Which leads me to believe that the front office was ready to see him out the door.

Well, we have to look at the head coach first and foremost - it was his call to sit Kevin and make it seem like that was going to be his role moving forward short of a break glass in case of emergency situation.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:55 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Move the ball? Sure.

Whatcha got?

You know what he could have done?

Any of the things Kevin did when he was pissed off and flew off the handle including tuning out of the team, stopped working hard, and asking to be bought out.

But again, feel free to backup you're theory that Collin was an awful teammates that deserved to be benched. Dismissing my counter-evidence does NOT do that. And let me make something clear here. I know a lot of Cavs history (give or take what I've forgotten) and if I wanted to cherry pick my arguments, I very well could - but I don't do that. If I could think of something that supported your case, I'd hand it to you on a silver platter. In fact, I bought up the only thing that was even close ... that anonymous tweet which Nance Jr went out of his way to refute.

And if we really want to go off the rails here and start guessing what might have been going on behind the scenes, well, you know ... technically speaking both Collin and Kevin are gone. One difference is we know the Cavs were in talks with Collin to offer him a new contract multiple times. As for Kevin? Hmm. No talks about an extension I can recall. No strong desire to hold on to his Bird rights. The coach wouldn't even throw him a bone like promise to move him back in the rotation after the break to see if his thumb/back were feeling better.

But hey, no problem throwing Danny Green less than a year from ACL surgery with a TS% closer to the Mendoza line than to Kevin's; right in the fire.

But Sexton really couldn't have done any of things Love did without jeopardizing not only his money, but potentially his career in the NBA and that's the point. You may deem it unprofessional on Love's part, but Love had been paid, and at some point, clearly made a trade request.

As it was, without Sexton bucking, he had a very tepid market this summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,368

Post#133 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:18 am

toooskies wrote:Yeah, ultimately it was clear from the outside that Love's shot was messed up from the thumb injury. Especially with Wade not getting more than 10 minutes a game, I'm pretty surprised that Love didn't have another opportunity on the horizon. Which leads me to believe that the front office was ready to see him out the door.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2023/02/donovan-mitchell-shocked-by-kevin-loves-buyout-cavs-ready-to-move-forward-without-love.html?utm_campaign=pdcavsinsider_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Well, Chris Fedor had this to report.

"Sources say Love’s relationship with Cleveland’s decision-makers is currently strained -- a byproduct of how recent events unfolded. The Cavs were starting to grow concerned about his unhappiness festering, especially since there were no plans to re-insert him into the lineup. With about two months remaining in the regular season, the ticklish situation could have led to another infamous blowup. It’s one reason the Cavs were so willing to honor his buyout request".
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:42 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2023/02/donovan-mitchell-shocked-by-kevin-loves-buyout-cavs-ready-to-move-forward-without-love.html?utm_campaign=pdcavsinsider_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Well, Chris Fedor had this to report.

"Sources say Love’s relationship with Cleveland’s decision-makers is currently strained -- a byproduct of how recent events unfolded. The Cavs were starting to grow concerned about his unhappiness festering, especially since there were no plans to re-insert him into the lineup. With about two months remaining in the regular season, the ticklish situation could have led to another infamous blowup. It’s one reason the Cavs were so willing to honor his buyout request".

I want to be real clear, I hold Love primarily responsible for the most recent fallout, if for no other reason, the Cavs paid him plenty of money to not play while he was injured.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#135 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:30 pm

Kevin tuned out because JBB tuned him out. If JBB didn't expect this, well lesson learned I suppose. Massaging egos is his primary job responsibility, unless he just didn't care.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,368

Post#136 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 30, 2023 4:19 am

Turns out the Heat had to end up benching him too.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 877

Post#137 » by ijspeelman » Tue May 30, 2023 1:55 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Turns out the Heat had to end up benching him too.

He possibly could work against the Nuggets. The Celtics were a bad match-up for him
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:11 am

ijspeelman wrote:

He possibly could work against the Nuggets. The Celtics were a bad match-up for him

Yeah, Love was very effective against the Bucks and Knicks, less so against the Celtics. My concern with JBB is that he's too reductive to be able to utilize role players on a case by case basis that way.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 877

Post#139 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:27 am

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Yeah, Love was very effective against the Bucks and Knicks, less so against the Celtics. My concern with JBB is that he's too reductive to be able to utilize role players on a case by case basis that way.

JB's role player usage can be suspect, but I would like to say that the tools at his disposal aren't nesseccarily useful for every situation.

I assume we saw a lot of testing in the regular season to see what players could work in what situations. I think Cedi would normally be one of those tools you can go to, but because of our reliance on some inkling of spacing we had to rely on him in situations where he wasn't suitable. Same goes for Lamar Stevens.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:48 am

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

JB's role player usage can be suspect, but I would like to say that the tools at his disposal aren't nesseccarily useful for every situation.

I assume we saw a lot of testing in the regular season to see what players could work in what situations. I think Cedi would normally be one of those tools you can go to, but because of our reliance on some inkling of spacing we had to rely on him in situations where he wasn't suitable. Same goes for Lamar Stevens.

He's streaky, but Cedi shot 37% from 3. LeVert shot 39%. Both on more than 4 apg. Which is better than a lot of players people on the T&T think we should trade Allen for.

My big issue with JBB is how quickly he seemed to give up on Wade after the Love situation went sideways. At that point, you really have to try to get Wade going before the playoffs. Like, you no longer have the luxury of burying Wade on the bench because Lauri and Love aren't on the roster anymore and you can't go into the postseason with no stretch big.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers