Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,351

Re: Love Bought Out 

Post#81 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:57 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
toooskies wrote:We can give Isaiah playing time without elevating his contract. The only question is whether we'd play him in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind signing Carmelo Anthony to be Kevin Love off the deep bench. Same kind of shooting strengths and defensive weaknesses, same kind of veteran been-the-guy sacrificing, less rebounding but maybe more mobile on the perimeter (obviously haven't seen him lately).

Two way contracts are ineligible for the postseason. I doubt we would play him even if we did elevate his contract unless he really showed out. I still wish we saw him play in non-garbage time minutes this season (again, there may be a reason we didn't, but he is doing well down in the g-league).

Shoots 36% on threes from decent big-man volume (3.6 3pt attempts per 36). Do we give him any credit for the Charge having the ninth best DRTG (out of 30 teams)? He plays with three guys under 6'5 in the starting line-up (sound familiar?) and his PF running mate is 6'9.

Again, I haven't watched this man play a single minute of g-league basketball so I'm kinda guessing here.

He’s athletically limited, no explosion whatsoever. But physically, he’s 6’9.75” with a 7’4” wingspan. Plays solid defense, but his offense is his plus skill.

He’s smart, makes the right plays, can pass and shoot, and just as importantly, knows what he cannot.

It feels like he gets written off because he’s Evan Mobley’s brother. But, if his name was Charles Bassey, we’d be more okay giving him some burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That man wearing high heels if he's 6'8" without shoes on lol
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#82 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
Two way contracts are ineligible for the postseason. I doubt we would play him even if we did elevate his contract unless he really showed out. I still wish we saw him play in non-garbage time minutes this season (again, there may be a reason we didn't, but he is doing well down in the g-league).

Shoots 36% on threes from decent big-man volume (3.6 3pt attempts per 36). Do we give him any credit for the Charge having the ninth best DRTG (out of 30 teams)? He plays with three guys under 6'5 in the starting line-up (sound familiar?) and his PF running mate is 6'9.

Again, I haven't watched this man play a single minute of g-league basketball so I'm kinda guessing here.

He’s athletically limited, no explosion whatsoever. But physically, he’s 6’9.75” with a 7’4” wingspan. Plays solid defense, but his offense is his plus skill.

He’s smart, makes the right plays, can pass and shoot, and just as importantly, knows what he cannot.

It feels like he gets written off because he’s Evan Mobley’s brother. But, if his name was Charles Bassey, we’d be more okay giving him some burn.

Maybe, 1.75” lift is near the top-end for sure; like Diakite going from 6’8.5” to 6’10.25”.

Having seen my wife try to run in heels, it could explain why he looks slow

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#83 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:52 pm

toooskies wrote:Isaiah and Diakite put up nearly identical stats at the G League level this year-- Isaiah has slightly better offensive numbers (especially shooting), Diakite has better defensive numbers (especially blocks). I also haven't watched a minute of G League games, though Isaiah has the bigger sample size.

Obviously the coaches have seen them both play more than we have. Diakite is probably more physically ready to contribute than Isaiah. But getting reps for Isaiah are more likely to help the team long-term.

But we're also the team that traded a future first for Caris LeVert last year with very little regard for how that affected the future, so...
I do hope it's another vet they bring aboard.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,443

Post#84 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:59 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:He’s athletically limited, no explosion whatsoever. But physically, he’s 6’9.75” with a 7’4” wingspan. Plays solid defense, but his offense is his plus skill.

Maybe, 1.75” lift is near the top-end for sure; like Diakite going from 6’8.5” to 6’10.25”.

Having seen my wife try to run in heels, it could explain why he looks slow

Kevin Love was measured 6'7.75" in socks at the draft combine with a 6'11.25" wingpsan. Wearing special shoes to measurement day and rounding could add as much as 2.5" to a player's listed height. So, consider Isaiah's wingspan and reach are just a touch under Evan's and he's more than fine in that regard.

I don't think IM is getting less burn because he's Evan's brother, they've just decided he needs to be gaining experience at the G-league level while getting in to better shape - and our curiosity whether he might be viable to fill in for 5-10 minutes a game are unimportant to them.

A young player bringing energy and effort can make a difference, but JBB just isn't going to put up with the mistakes from someone at the end of his roster.

That he trusted Danny Green coming off an injury with little practice time with the team speaks to how much he values NBA experience and/or that we enticed Danny with a promise of minutes.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,700

Post#85 » by toooskies » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Did Love give any money back? He had ~$8m left on his contract for this year. Spotrac doesn't have any indication he did.

Looks like he gave $1.5m back, which gives the Cavs nearly $2m to offer to another buyout candidate, according to Keith Smith.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#86 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:01 pm

toooskies wrote:Did Love give any money back? He had ~$8m left on his contract for this year. Spotrac doesn't have any indication he did.

Looks like he gave $1.5m back, which gives the Cavs nearly $2m to offer to another buyout candidate, according to Keith Smith.
Should be more than enough to sign a vet, or i suppose one of the 2 way guys if that is the route they wanna go.

Edit: he signed with the Heat for $3.1 million, wow.

It's funny that Love decided to go back to #42.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Love Bought Out 

Post#87 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:43 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Did Love give any money back? He had ~$8m left on his contract for this year. Spotrac doesn't have any indication he did.

Should be more than enough to sign a vet, or i suppose one of the 2 way guys if that is the route they wanna go.

I’d kick the tires on Jabari Parker (provided he can walk), Derrick Favors (healthy for Atlanta in Jan) and maybe Eric Paschall or Mo Harkless for depth.

A Moses Brown reunion would be solid, and he’s in playing shape from the Clips; just not sure JBB would give him burn.

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 876

Post#88 » by ijspeelman » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:54 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

I’d kick the tires on Jabari Parker (provided he can walk), Derrick Favors (healthy for Atlanta in Jan) and maybe Eric Paschall or Mo Harkless for depth.

A Moses Brown reunion would be solid, and he’s in playing shape from the Clips; just not sure JBB would give him burn.

Tony Bradley just became available as well. I still don't think any of these guys touch the floor when the playoffs roll around.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#89 » by toooskies » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:24 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Should be more than enough to sign a vet, or i suppose one of the 2 way guys if that is the route they wanna go.

Tony Bradley just became available as well. I still don't think any of these guys touch the floor when the playoffs roll around.

Yeah, anybody we sign probably wouldn't see the floor in the playoffs, if we were fully healthy.

We really would want to sign somebody for the cases where we aren't fully healthy between now and the conclusion of the season.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#90 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:36 pm

I don't always agree with our head coaches and their approach to managing players, but unless the GM cares to inform him his job is to do something other than win games; I don't begrudge him following through on those things he believes are important to winning.

Unfortunately in this day and age those decisions do have repercussions - like Kevin Love not even being an option to try to fuel a comeback or replace a teammate in foul trouble.

If/when JBB is eventually fired, he deserves it to happen because of his own decisions and not because he was forced to do something to appease someone else.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#91 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Should be more than enough to sign a vet, or i suppose one of the 2 way guys if that is the route they wanna go.

For sure but hopefully whoever is signed can help take some wear and tear off Allen and Evan.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,491

Post#92 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:25 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:

To the best the Cavs are able, they need to just stay away from the rest of the Schwartz client roster because this is absurd.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:36 am

JonFromVA wrote:I don't always agree with our head coaches and their approach to managing players, but unless the GM cares to inform him his job is to do something other than win games; I don't begrudge him following through on those things he believes are important to winning.

Unfortunately in this day and age those decisions do have repercussions - like Kevin Love not even being an option to try to fuel a comeback or replace a teammate in foul trouble.

If/when JBB is eventually fired, he deserves it to happen because of his own decisions and not because he was forced to do something to appease someone else.

Generally speaking, I agree with this but there do need to be limits. The Beilein/Sexton/Love fiasco was clearly an example of a front office allowing things to boil over and giving a coach too much rope.

You shouldn't let a coach go full Thibs or Nurse where he's overplaying his starters in the regular season and putting their health at risk, or in the case of the Raptors, don't have enough left in the tank for the playoffs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#94 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:19 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

To the best the Cavs are able, they need to just stay away from the rest of the Schwartz client roster because this is absurd.

This is probably pretty standard buyout language where the player gives up half of the money from the next contract. Which is why we didn't learn the buyout number until the Heat deal was done.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#95 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Rubio, Osman, …. I wonder what it would take to add a pre-agreed buyout schedule to the end of the contract.

I take no issue with the actual buyout. Most are for a minimum salary or full-offset. Something in the middle is what it is.

I’m annoyed by the opportunity cost. I do not like that it seemingly caught Altman off guard and feel that had the intent been communicated the Cavs would have been in a stronger position. Either by using Love’s contract or being able to trade for a 5th big instead of relying on the buyout market.

Not that I have any inkling that would have occurred, but I have to imagine that having a recovered Love in your back pocket for the playoffs instead of Diakite changes his approach.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#96 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:14 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

This is probably pretty standard buyout language where the player gives up half of the money from the next contract. Which is why we didn't learn the buyout number until the Heat deal was done.
Typically they give back what they're gonna sign for, at least from everything i can remember.

Love has always been about money though and this is no different.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#97 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:I don't always agree with our head coaches and their approach to managing players, but unless the GM cares to inform him his job is to do something other than win games; I don't begrudge him following through on those things he believes are important to winning.

Generally speaking, I agree with this but there do need to be limits. The Beilein/Sexton/Love fiasco was clearly an example of a front office allowing things to boil over and giving a coach too much rope.

You shouldn't let a coach go full Thibs or Nurse where he's overplaying his starters in the regular season and putting their health at risk, or in the case of the Raptors, don't have enough left in the tank for the playoffs.

Starting Sexton was a mandate from the FO after Love got hurt in Collin's rookie season ... you surely remember Ty Lue at first opposed it, developed mental problems over it and had to be bought out. Aren't we swell? Always willing to pay someone millions to go away.

The front office does need to protect the team, but the magic number is 36 ... that's how many minutes each member of the core-4 needs to play so 2 of them are on the floor at all times. I can understand wanting to get them up to that number and identifying a playoff rotation as a priority. On a slow paced team (even one that actually tries on defense) it should be possible as long as the training staff is allowed to do their job and make sure the players have recovery time.

But there are no back to backs in the playoffs, and the fact we've actually rested players on some of the recent ones is likely in co-operation with the training staff to try not to push dinged up players too hard.

So, I get it, even though JBB has made some mistakes and let the guys go too long at times, there will be important games ahead where if we want to win, we'll need to limit or eliminate second half rest. So, it may look lazy, but we can keep doing things like having DG roll the ball up the floor while the clock is stopped to buy some time if that's what the guys need.

There's a fine line between running players in to the ground .vs. building them up to the point they can be on the floor when you need them most, but fortunately (when healthy) we have redundancy in our core-4 and we should be able to do much better than in the LeBron days when we really couldn't afford to have him off the floor at all in a big game.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#98 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:04 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Typically they give back what they're gonna sign for, at least from everything i can remember.

Love has always been about money though and this is no different.

I think it's Kevin's way of showing he's not a vet minimum player AND the Heat can offer him 120% more than that number next season which will them a leg up on any team only willing to pay him the vet min.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Starting Sexton was a mandate from the FO after Love got hurt in Collin's rookie season ... you surely remember Ty Lue at first opposed it, developed mental problems over it and had to be bought out. Aren't we swell? Always willing to pay someone millions to go away.

The front office does need to protect the team, but the magic number is 36 ... that's how many minutes each member of the core-4 needs to play so 2 of them are on the floor at all times. I can understand wanting to get them up to that number and identifying a playoff rotation as a priority. On a slow paced team (even one that actually tries on defense) it should be possible as long as the training staff is allowed to do their job and make sure the players have recovery time.

But there are no back to backs in the playoffs, and the fact we've actually rested players on some of the recent ones is likely in co-operation with the training staff to try not to push dinged up players too hard.

So, I get it, even though JBB has made some mistakes and let the guys go too long at times, there will be important games ahead where if we want to win, we'll need to limit or eliminate second half rest. So, it may look lazy, but we can keep doing things like having DG roll the ball up the floor while the clock is stopped to buy some time if that's what the guys need.

There's a fine line between running players in to the ground .vs. building them up to the point they can be on the floor when you need them most, but fortunately (when healthy) we have redundancy in our core-4 and we should be able to do much better than in the LeBron days when we really couldn't afford to have him off the floor at all in a big game.

I don't know, it seems to me that if you're getting completely run out of gym 30 or so games in a row, as Sexton hunts for his shot while routinely missing open teammates, and the guy 18 months from his last all star appearance, who you just happened to give a massive extension, is growing visibly and increasingly frustrated by the awful basketball being played, perhaps it would behoove either the coach, the front office, or both, to amend said mandate before the situation goes nuclear.

I'm sorry, but that was an organizational failure.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#100 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't know, it seems to me that if you're getting completely run out of gym 30 or so games in a row, as Sexton hunts for his shot while routinely missing open teammates, and the guy 18 months from his last all star appearance, who you just happened to give a massive extension, is growing visibly and increasingly frustrated by the awful basketball being played, perhaps it would behoove either the coach, the front office, or both, to amend said mandate before the situation goes nuclear.

I'm sorry, but that was an organizational failure.

Not at all, Beilein was brought in to spearhead the youth movement and try to develop Garland, Sexton, Windler and KPJ. Not to coddle Kevin Love, that ship sailed the previous season when we were getting blown out by opponents even before Love went down.

IMO, the only reason to watch or pay that team any attention was to see the kids play and hopefully develop. Kevin when frustrated just does not always act out in a productive manner - a flaw most people share.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers