Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 859

Game 79: Pacers @ Cavs 4/2/2023 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Sun Apr 2, 2023 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter

jbk you got your wish... more Wade minutes. I'm p excited for him to just get some run lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,093

Re: Game 79: Pacers @ Cavs 4/2/2023 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:06 am

Wade with the starters, wow.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#3 » by ijspeelman » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:41 am

Bad transition defense by the Cavs has kept the Pacers in the game thus far
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,723

Post#4 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:55 am

Cavs should be embarrassed with this effort.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#5 » by ijspeelman » Mon Apr 3, 2023 1:05 am

jasonxxx102 wrote:Cavs should be embarrassed with this effort.

Its p bad so far. Lots of turnovers and bad transition defense imo + offense has been particularly stagnant. As soon as an extra pass has been made or there is more off-ball movement, we are getting much better shots (the LeVert pass to Stevens pops up for me).

Gotta win these games especially against a neutered Pacers team
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#6 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 1:13 am

ijspeelman wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:Cavs should be embarrassed with this effort.

Its p bad so far. Lots of turnovers and bad transition defense imo + offense has been particularly stagnant. As soon as an extra pass has been made or there is more off-ball movement, we are getting much better shots (the LeVert pass to Stevens pops up for me).

Gotta win these games especially against a neutered Pacers team

This is the offense that I’m talking about not being a playoff offense. It’s horrible. You don’t even get into a set until 14 seconds every time down the court and it’s a single screen and 1 pass and usually a tough shot. Very little movement or passing
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#7 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 1:36 am

I guess Okoro is pretty important to our perimeter defense.

Lots of bad rotations / close outs leading to wide open 3s
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#8 » by ijspeelman » Mon Apr 3, 2023 1:43 am

Its nice to know we have a guy like Mitchell then can just flip a switch and score at will. While our half-court offense will have its stagnant moments, guys like Mitchell can occasionally generate enough offense for it not to matter. For playing in space heaven for a couple of years, he is so good working with no space.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#9 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:01 am

ijspeelman wrote:Its nice to know we have a guy like Mitchell then can just flip a switch and score at will. While our half-court offense will have its stagnant moments, guys like Mitchell can occasionally generate enough offense for it not to matter. For playing in space heaven for a couple of years, he is so good working with no space.
Mitchell is just a bandaid on JB's broken offense.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#10 » by ijspeelman » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:31 am

Ugly three quarters and then a sweet 4th. I'll take the win!
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#11 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:34 am

Cavs turned up the defense in the 4th. Shouldn’t really have let the pacers g league squad jump in us early but a win is a win.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#12 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:34 am

JB may just go full on 6 man rotation come playoff time lol

At least they were able to scrap out a win against Pacers B team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,182

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:16 am

Wade needs to continue to get minutes ahead of the playoffs, but I'm concerned about Rubio. We probably aren't going to see last year's version of him this year. I keep looking for ways we can exceed expectations this post-season and I'm basically down to Okoro and Wade shooting well enough to open up the floor some more. Our core 4 guys just have to work so hard to score. It seems like there's another level offensively in terms of potential, but we just can't get consistent enough shooting from that 5th guy on floor.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,394

Post#14 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:27 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Wade needs to continue to get minutes ahead of the playoffs, but I'm concerned about Rubio. We probably aren't going to see last year's version of him this year. I keep looking for ways we can exceed expectations this post-season and I'm basically down to Okoro and Wade shooting well enough to open up the floor some more. Our core 4 guys just have to work so hard to score. It seems like there's another level offensively in terms of potential, but we just can't get consistent enough shooting from that 5th guy on floor.

I thought Ricky's been looking pretty good unless you've been expecting to see the one that was scoring and knocking down 3's we got a glimpse of last season? Even at best, I didn't have high hopes of seeing that version of Ricky on a consistent basis.

If Isaac can't get his knee right and the team won't let him risk it, we may suddenly need Dean. The good news is at least for the moment he has a reputation as a shooter. If his shot falls off the rails due to his shoulder injury, it won't take long for a playoff opponent to test him, though.

Like clockwork, Dylan Windler hurt his foot just as he might have gotten a chance.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#15 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:28 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Wade needs to continue to get minutes ahead of the playoffs, but I'm concerned about Rubio. We probably aren't going to see last year's version of him this year. I keep looking for ways we can exceed expectations this post-season and I'm basically down to Okoro and Wade shooting well enough to open up the floor some more. Our core 4 guys just have to work so hard to score. It seems like there's another level offensively in terms of potential, but we just can't get consistent enough shooting from that 5th guy on floor.

I thought Ricky's been looking pretty good unless you've been expecting to see the one that was scoring and knocking down 3's we got a glimpse of last season? Even at best, I didn't have high hopes of seeing that version of Ricky on a consistent basis.

If Isaac can't get his knee right and the team won't let him risk it, we may suddenly need Dean. The good news is at least for the moment he has a reputation as a shooter. If his shot falls off the rails due to his shoulder injury, it won't take long for a playoff opponent to test him, though.

Like clockwork, Dylan Windler hurt his foot just as he might have gotten a chance.

Ricky has been up-and-down all season. Some games he looks like a defensive savant. He doesn't seem to be in rhythm, though, and most of our wings have a problem of being too deferential to our playmakers.

And yeah, Dylan got hurt in the G-League playoffs. Tough luck for that guy. Whenever you read a quote from him saying "finally I feel like I'm getting back to normal", he's about to get hurt.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:04 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Ricky has been up-and-down all season. Some games he looks like a defensive savant. He doesn't seem to be in rhythm, though, and most of our wings have a problem of being too deferential to our playmakers.

And yeah, Dylan got hurt in the G-League playoffs. Tough luck for that guy. Whenever you read a quote from him saying "finally I feel like I'm getting back to normal", he's about to get hurt.

One player on the team who's consistently exceeded expectations when given any minutes whatsoever has been Raul Neto. If Okoro can't go, I hope JBB is ready to get creative with throwing different defenders at Bruson and that could include Rubio and Neto, but who knows.

It sure seems like JBB plans to run a very tight rotation in the playoffs and ratchet up the minutes on the starters, but nothing like being down in a playoff series to force a coach to try something new.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#17 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:40 pm

Time to move on from ol' Windler, hopefully he finds his health with another squad.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,182

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Ricky looks a full step slower to me and it's impacting not only his defense, but his ability to be the playmakiing maestro that we saw last season. If you can't get that half step on the player guarding you, you can't force the help defense and then exploit it.

Maybe he gets a half step back in year 2 of ACL rehab and trusts the knee a little more.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#19 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

One player on the team who's consistently exceeded expectations when given any minutes whatsoever has been Raul Neto. If Okoro can't go, I hope JBB is ready to get creative with throwing different defenders at Bruson and that could include Rubio and Neto, but who knows.

It sure seems like JBB plans to run a very tight rotation in the playoffs and ratchet up the minutes on the starters, but nothing like being down in a playoff series to force a coach to try something new.

Yeah, Neto slowed him down a bit. But part of Neto's effectiveness is that he only has to play for short spurts at his overdrive speed. He probably won't be as good playing long stretches.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#20 » by JonFromVA » Mon Apr 3, 2023 5:33 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Ricky has been up-and-down all season. Some games he looks like a defensive savant. He doesn't seem to be in rhythm, though, and most of our wings have a problem of being too deferential to our playmakers.

Yeah, Neto slowed him down a bit. But part of Neto's effectiveness is that he only has to play for short spurts at his overdrive speed. He probably won't be as good playing long stretches.

I suppose we'd need to see him for a long stretch to know, but slowing down Brunson for even a short stretch could be very useful.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers