2023-24 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 860

2023-24 Regular Season 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Wed May 10, 2023 5:52 pm

It seems we've gotten past talking specifically about the Knicks series and we are now worried about what happens past this.

So what is next for the Cavs? What free agents do you have your eyes on (and hopes that Cavs do as well)? Who stays, who's gone?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Re: 2023-24 Off-Season 

Post#2 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 10, 2023 6:29 pm

Well, I brought him up in the other thread, but what do we know about Jalen McDaniels?

If we were willing to offer him the Full MLE and the starting SF spot, that might be enough to convince a young player still trying to prove himself to sign. He's not proven, though, and if that's all Altman will consider we can toss out that kind of idea.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#3 » by ijspeelman » Wed May 10, 2023 9:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Well, I brought him up in the other thread, but what do we know about Jalen McDaniels?

If we were willing to offer him the Full MLE and the starting SF spot, that might be enough to convince a young player still trying to prove himself to sign. He's not proven, though, and if that's all Altman will consider we can toss out that kind of idea.

He would easily be our best prospect for that 3 spot. 37.7% from wide open threes on 4.31 3PA per 36 with lengthy defense.

I actually don't know a ton about him besides his 3&D role player stuffs so I have no clue if he can add a lot of additional juice to our offense.

Is he available though? I assume he'd want to go back to the 6ers (and 6ers would want him back).
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 10, 2023 10:51 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Well, I brought him up in the other thread, but what do we know about Jalen McDaniels?

He would easily be our best prospect for that 3 spot. 37.7% from wide open threes on 4.31 3PA per 36 with lengthy defense.

I actually don't know a ton about him besides his 3&D role player stuffs so I have no clue if he can add a lot of additional juice to our offense.

Is he available though? I assume he'd want to go back to the 6ers (and 6ers would want him back).

Well, he's been DNPCD the past two games and was getting just 17.5mpg in the regular season before that dropped to 14.4mpg in the playoffs.

Play-time and/or a starting spot are two very important things any team can offer a free-agent, so, if Koby was convinced Jalen was the perfect fit for us at SF ... the move might be to clear the decks to make it clear that if he signs with us, the job is his.

This gets in to players ego, and it's hard to say which players on our roster (if any) he'd actually feel threatened by. Maybe we'd need to let Caris go, but perhaps Isaac could stay? Hard to know ... until we start talking to his agent and get an inkling of his thinking.

Or maybe this is just a grass is greener situation? In general I like the idea of undervalued players slipping through the cracks after their rookie contract. At 25, Jalen is entering his prime, so this upcoming contract may very well be the best of what he's ever going to be.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#5 » by ijspeelman » Thu May 11, 2023 2:08 am

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Well, he's been DNPCD the past two games and was getting just 17.5mpg in the regular season before that dropped to 14.4mpg in the playoffs.

Play-time and/or a starting spot are two very important things any team can offer a free-agent, so, if Koby was convinced Jalen was the perfect fit for us at SF ... the move might be to clear the decks to make it clear that if he signs with us, the job is his.

This gets in to players ego, and it's hard to say which players on our roster (if any) he'd actually feel threatened by. Maybe we'd need to let Caris go, but perhaps Isaac could stay? Hard to know ... until we start talking to his agent and get an inkling of his thinking.

Or maybe this is just a grass is greener situation? In general I like the idea of undervalued players slipping through the cracks after their rookie contract. At 25, Jalen is entering his prime, so this upcoming contract may very well be the best of what he's ever going to be.

Jalen is a risk, but definitely a less risky risk. Even on the MLE and at his current level, he would have trade value so I am fully down for this gamble.

I think he’d be the best choice at SF right now if he were on our roster.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#6 » by KuruptedCav » Thu May 11, 2023 3:03 am

I’m on team Royce O’Neale for the SF position, until proven that the MLE + handful of 2nd round picks doesn’t get it done.

Followed by team Naz Reid for C/PF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,097

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 11, 2023 11:40 am

I assume the Cavs probably won't hard cap themselves so that removes the BAE and the full MLE. I'd offer Jalen McDaniels the tax payer MLE portion for 3 or 4 years to start at SF, guarantee Cedi, pick up the team option on Stevens, and if LeVert didn't want an outrageous salary, re-sign him. Try to find a formidable back-up big man with the 49th pick in the draft and maybe see if Meyers Leonard would sign for the vet min. I'd leave the 15th roster spot open to evaluate what else was needed, especially since Merrill doesn't fully guarantee until January of 2024, essentially gives 2 roster spots to play with.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,184

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 11, 2023 12:39 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:I assume the Cavs probably won't hard cap themselves so that removes the BAE and the full MLE. I'd offer Jalen McDaniels the tax payer MLE portion for 3 or 4 years to start at SF, guarantee Cedi, pick up the team option on Stevens, and if LeVert didn't want an outrageous salary, re-sign him. Try to find a formidable back-up big man with the 49th pick in the draft and maybe see if Meyers Leonard would sign for the vet min. I'd leave the 15th roster spot open to evaluate what else was needed, especially since Merrill doesn't fully guarantee until January of 2024, essentially gives 2 roster spots to play with.

How do you have the Cavs hard capping themselves by using the MLE and BAE?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 11, 2023 12:44 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:I’m on team Royce O’Neale for the SF position, until proven that the MLE + handful of 2nd round picks doesn’t get it done.

Followed by team Naz Reid for C/PF

The Nets have three choices: continue to stay in the repeater tax and go over the apron, attach draft capital to Joe Harris or Simmons to dump them, or trade a good player like O'Neale for draft capital and cap space. So unless the Cavs get outbid, and there's a relatively small list of teams that even have access to the full MLE or available space, they're in better shape than people might expect.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 11, 2023 12:53 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

I don't know, 37.7% on *widen open* 3s is probably worse shooting than what LeVert and Cedi already give us. He's a better defender than either of them, but the Cavs need to save the MLE for a better shooter. I might offer him the BAE.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#11 » by ijspeelman » Thu May 11, 2023 1:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I don't know, 37.7% on *widen open* 3s is probably worse shooting than what LeVert and Cedi already give us. He's a better defender than either of them, but the Cavs need to save the MLE for a better shooter. I might offer him the BAE.

LeVert is at 36.3% and Cedi is at 37.1% on wide open 3s in the past three seasons.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 11, 2023 1:21 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

LeVert is at 36.3% and Cedi is at 37.1% on wide open 3s in the past three seasons.

How about last season when both got a lot more open looks after we traded for Mitchell?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#13 » by ijspeelman » Thu May 11, 2023 1:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

How about last season when both got a lot more open looks after we traded for Mitchell?

That is a fair question (though I question sample size), but LeVert at 38.4% and Cedi at 40.6%.

Jalen was at 36.6% last regular season.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#14 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 11, 2023 1:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I assume the Cavs probably won't hard cap themselves so that removes the BAE and the full MLE. I'd offer Jalen McDaniels the tax payer MLE portion for 3 or 4 years to start at SF, guarantee Cedi, pick up the team option on Stevens, and if LeVert didn't want an outrageous salary, re-sign him. Try to find a formidable back-up big man with the 49th pick in the draft and maybe see if Meyers Leonard would sign for the vet min. I'd leave the 15th roster spot open to evaluate what else was needed, especially since Merrill doesn't fully guarantee until January of 2024, essentially gives 2 roster spots to play with.

That is 2 of the 3 ways a team is hard capped, unless the new CBA changes that.

"When a club uses the bi-annual exception, acquires a player via sign-and-trade, or uses more than the taxpayer portion of the mid-level exception, that club will face a hard cap for the remainder of the league year".

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/nba-teams-with-hard-caps-for-2022-23.html
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 11, 2023 2:12 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

"When a club uses the bi-annual exception, acquires a player via sign-and-trade, or uses more than the taxpayer portion of the mid-level exception, that club will face a hard cap for the remainder of the league year".

The taxpayer portion of the MLE is the relevant language. It's for teams already in the tax and is roughly half of the standard MLE.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 11, 2023 3:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The taxpayer portion of the MLE is the relevant language. It's for teams already in the tax and is roughly half of the standard MLE.
No, it is for any team who uses above the tax payer portion of the MLE, i parsed that portion out because it will obviously be higher once the MLE is $12.2 million this summer.

Wizards used above the taxpayer MLE but were not a tax paying team, were still hard capped by at the apron.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/nba-2022-23-luxury-tax-tracker/
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#17 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 11, 2023 4:57 pm

That's why I always say, if the Cavs use the full MLE, might as well use the BAE, already hard capped at that point. Exactly what the 76ers got investigated for, Harden taking less so they could give PJ the full MLE and House the BAE, but still be under the hard cap.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 11, 2023 7:57 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:That is 2 of the 3 ways a team is hard capped, unless the new CBA changes that.

No, it is for any team who uses above the tax payer portion of the MLE, i parsed that portion out because it will obviously be higher once the MLE is $12.2 million this summer.

Wizards used above the taxpayer MLE but were not a tax paying team, were still hard capped by at the apron.

I'm not sure that they're using the phrase hard capped correctly, or maybe they are and its definition is counter intuitive. You can't go above the apron if you use those exceptions, but for a non-tax team, you're so far below the tax line, which itself is below the apron, that it doesn't matter. If the Cavs are smart, they won't offer LeVert enough to go into the tax anyway. His cap hold should be a lot higher than his next contract. The apron is the hard cap.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 11, 2023 10:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm not sure that they're using the phrase hard capped correctly, or maybe they are and its definition is counter intuitive. You can't go above the apron if you use those exceptions, but for a non-tax team, you're so far below the tax line, which itself is below the apron, that it doesn't matter. If the Cavs are smart, they won't offer LeVert enough to go into the tax anyway. His cap hold should be a lot higher than his next contract. The apron is the hard cap.

Appears to be all about our $59M in cap holds. We're $35M below the luxury tax level if we give up all our holds, but about $26M over if we don't. With some careful pruning we should be able to get a real answer. I mean there are players long gone using up cap holds, and even a $4M TPE from Agbaji.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#20 » by KuruptedCav » Thu May 11, 2023 11:43 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:That is 2 of the 3 ways a team is hard capped, unless the new CBA changes that.

I struggle to find many plausible scenarios where a $170mil hard cap is a problem this year.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers