ImageImageImage

Emoni Bates - The Prince That was Promised?

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,097

Re: Emoni Bates - The Prince That was Promised? 

Post#41 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:17 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:Great news. Excited to see him get some run in the g league
Yeah, it just makes the most sense, for pick #49.

JB only plays 8 or 9 guys per night, so no reason for Emoni to rot on the bench or force him a couple minutes here or there.

We'll see what he can do in the G League.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#42 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:51 am

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#43 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:57 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://cleveland.gleague.nba.com/news/charge-rally-for-home-opener-win

29 points in his Charge debut.

Not unexpected for Emoni to play well .vs. that level, I suppose the interesting thing is the game was in Cleveland on Friday night and they still got him on the plane to face the Dubs and even get a minute of garbage time on Saturday night.

So, we'll see how it goes, but it sounds like the plan is to keep him close to the big team. Of course every game he's active counts against his 2-way limit, but the Cavs aren't the Guardians and they aren't going to tell JBB not to activate him so they can exploit his deal.

Kevin Garnett has come out and said the Cavs are crazy playing him in the gleague and he should be first off the bench.

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#44 » by toooskies » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://cleveland.gleague.nba.com/news/charge-rally-for-home-opener-win

Not unexpected for Emoni to play well .vs. that level, I suppose the interesting thing is the game was in Cleveland on Friday night and they still got him on the plane to face the Dubs and even get a minute of garbage time on Saturday night.

So, we'll see how it goes, but it sounds like the plan is to keep him close to the big team. Of course every game he's active counts against his 2-way limit, but the Cavs aren't the Guardians and they aren't going to tell JBB not to activate him so they can exploit his deal.

Kevin Garnett has come out and said the Cavs are crazy playing him in the gleague and he should be first off the bench.

When KG was playing the G-League was a joke, and it's not surprising if he still sees it that way.

Now it's a pretty legitimate developmental pipeline and ideal for Emoni to get reps while the Cavs figure out how their bench rotation can work. We need to work the veterans like Niang and Wade to see how they fit in and whether we need Emoni's punch, and see if Emoni can eliminate mistakes at the G-League level.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#45 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:14 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

When KG was playing the G-League was a joke, and it's not surprising if he still sees it that way.

Now it's a pretty legitimate developmental pipeline and ideal for Emoni to get reps while the Cavs figure out how their bench rotation can work. We need to work the veterans like Niang and Wade to see how they fit in and whether we need Emoni's punch, and see if Emoni can eliminate mistakes at the G-League level.

I'm not going to guess what KG does or does not understand about the G-league. I suspect he understands as a skinny 18 year old drafted straight in to the NBA, that he values the opportunity to learn at the NBA level even for a raw/young kid.

Personally, I just want to see the Cavs let Emoni advance at his own rate and as he moves up the ladder that we adjust our development plan accordingly. So, as KG implies he may already be at the young lottery pick level that should be in the backup rotation if not necessarily the 6th man.

Emoni could learn a lot playing day in and day out with the Charge, but will he focus on those things if those weakness are not being exposed? I don't think he needs his ego pumped so much as a very strong feedback system from professional teammates and opponents.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#46 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:46 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'm with you, just let pick 49 come along slowly. We have so many 2nd rounders in the pipeline, no need to rush this specific one along.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#47 » by toooskies » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:40 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'm not going to guess what KG does or does not understand about the G-league. I suspect he understands as a skinny 18 year old drafted straight in to the NBA, that he values the opportunity to learn at the NBA level even for a raw/young kid.

Personally, I just want to see the Cavs let Emoni advance at his own rate and as he moves up the ladder that we adjust our development plan accordingly. So, as KG implies he may already be at the young lottery pick level that should be in the backup rotation if not necessarily the 6th man.

Emoni could learn a lot playing day in and day out with the Charge, but will he focus on those things if those weakness are not being exposed? I don't think he needs his ego pumped so much as a very strong feedback system from professional teammates and opponents.

There's plenty you can learn at the G-League level and they are lessons that Emoni didn't display proficiency in at the college level, so I'm very comfortable giving him plenty of G-League level instruction unless it's clear that he'll make the Cavs better. (Which you can argue is sooner or later, but let's at least give Niang a chance to get out of his slump.)
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#48 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:32 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:When KG was playing the G-League was a joke, and it's not surprising if he still sees it that way.

There's plenty you can learn at the G-League level and they are lessons that Emoni didn't display proficiency in at the college level, so I'm very comfortable giving him plenty of G-League level instruction unless it's clear that he'll make the Cavs better. (Which you can argue is sooner or later, but let's at least give Niang a chance to get out of his slump.)

Emoni has to earn whatever he gets, I'm just saying he needs a path to earn it.

I think you need to consider that just because Emoni might learn and grow playing in the g-league, doesn't mean he will. After all, he had two years in College to learn and grow and he and his coaches were content to let him try to be "the man". And on the flip side, while I like what I hear about the Cavs and the Charge's relationship ... who exactly has the Charge developed? What weaknesses have they fixed?

Summer league MVP, a year in the g-league and 3 productive years in the NCAA and Isaiah Mobley has earned all of 1 minute so far this season?

Yeah, Emoni is a lot younger and has lot more to learn, but there's another big difference ... Emoni has an NBA ready talent and a known propensity to tune out when not challenged.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#49 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:On the flip side, while I like what I hear about the Cavs and the Charge's relationship ... who exactly has the Charge developed? What weaknesses have they fixed?

Summer league MVP, a year in the g-league and 3 productive years in the NCAA and Isaiah Mobley has earned all of 1 minute so far this season?

Off the top of my head, Dean Wade.

It was only 8 games and he was older but Charge were the precursor for Alan Anderson signing a bunch of NBA deals.

Jorge Gutiérrez i think arguably would qualify, in his back and forth stints between the NBA and the Charge.

Quinn Cook for sure, guy became a 2 time NBA champion.

Would we put Joe Harris on that list? I'm not sure.

Maybe Jon Leuer?

Also, you have to keep in mind, JB literally only played 8 guys this past game, not counting garbage time. JB isn't a Kerr or Pop type who will give minutes to 12 guys per night.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#50 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:00 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:On the flip side, while I like what I hear about the Cavs and the Charge's relationship ... who exactly has the Charge developed? What weaknesses have they fixed?

It was only 8 games and he was older but Charge were the precursor for Alan Anderson signing a bunch of NBA deals.

Jorge Gutiérrez i think arguably would qualify, in his back and forth stints between the NBA and the Charge.

Maybe Jon Leuer?

Also, you have to keep in mind, JB literally only played 8 guys this past game, not counting garbage time. JB isn't a Kerr or Pop type who will give minutes to 12 guys per night.

What do you think those guys learned at the g-league level, though?

Rookie Dean Wade averaged 10 & 10 on 69/50 splits for the Cavs, but he only played a total of 71 minutes as he rarely saw the floor outside of a blowout loss.

23 points, 20 boards, 3 blocks, 71% 3PT shooting in his Canton debut. Fair to ask how much Canton had to teach a player who can step in and put up silly numbers like that in their first game in the g-league.

Are we sure we did him (or us) any favors by not finding him more than 71 minutes?

I will say, at least we gave Jon Leuer a few tries early in the season to show us something before shutting him down. That he proved to be a useful player after we traded him is not an indication of our player development and talent evaluation at the time.

Anyway, this isn't about how to handle a late 2nd round pick or a UDFA ... if Emoni has first round talent (and our coach went way beyond that), then he deserves some opportunities and patience.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#51 » by toooskies » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Maybe Jon Leuer?

Rookie Dean Wade averaged 10 & 10 on 69/50 splits for the Cavs, but he only played a total of 71 minutes as he rarely saw the floor outside of a blowout loss.

23 points, 20 boards, 3 blocks, 71% 3PT shooting in his Canton debut. Fair to ask how much Canton had to teach a player who can step in and put up silly numbers like that in their first game in the g-league.

Are we sure we did him (or us) any favors by not finding him more than 71 minutes?

I will say, at least we gave Jon Leuer a few tries early in the season to show us something before shutting him down. That he proved to be a useful player after we traded him is not an indication of our player development and talent evaluation at the time.

Anyway, this isn't about how to handle a late 2nd round pick or a UDFA ... if Emoni has first round talent (and our coach went way beyond that), then he deserves some opportunities and patience.

I think guys like Lamar Stevens and Dean Wade learned a lot about being role players and they have pretty much maxed out their play based on their physical traits and roles with the team. On this current construction of the Cavs, Emoni would come in as a role player. He needs to not make stupid rookie mistakes to contribute. I would like to at least take some of the edge off of the introductory phase of the NBA.

Emoni has played 30 minutes at the NBA level and has a -49.4 plus-minus. I'm not saying he is the problem in those 30 minutes but he's definitely not so good that he needs to be on the floor at the NBA level every game.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#52 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:20 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Off the top of my head, Dean Wade.

Maybe Jon Leuer?

I think guys like Lamar Stevens and Dean Wade learned a lot about being role players and they have pretty much maxed out their play based on their physical traits and roles with the team. On this current construction of the Cavs, Emoni would come in as a role player. He needs to not make stupid rookie mistakes to contribute. I would like to at least take some of the edge off of the introductory phase of the NBA.

Emoni has played 30 minutes at the NBA level and has a -49.4 plus-minus. I'm not saying he is the problem in those 30 minutes but he's definitely not so good that he needs to be on the floor at the NBA level every game.

From what little I've seen of Emoni, he looks like a kid who takes input and adapts quickly. So, it just feels like putting the cart before the horse to not challenge him and see if he can't adapt and grow at the NBA level.

Of course, I'm cognizant that JBB is always coaching for his job, but he's also the guy who said Emoni had ROY potential. So he's either a liar or an idiot if he's not willing to give Emoni the chance to prove himself right.

Given how few minutes Emoni has played and the roster problems that led to him playing, we really should be looking at specific plays, what if anything he did wrong in them, and whether he keeps repeating the mistake. We should also hope to see Emoni play with a proper lineup where he's got Allen or Mobley to protect him and Garland or Mitchell to play off of.

Not just the Canton Charge .vs. Pros ...
toooskies
Analyst

Post#53 » by toooskies » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:11 am

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

From what little I've seen of Emoni, he looks like a kid who takes input and adapts quickly. So, it just feels like putting the cart before the horse to not challenge him and see if he can't adapt and grow at the NBA level.

Of course, I'm cognizant that JBB is always coaching for his job, but he's also the guy who said Emoni had ROY potential. So he's either a liar or an idiot if he's not willing to give Emoni the chance to prove himself right.

Given how few minutes Emoni has played and the roster problems that led to him playing, we really should be looking at specific plays, what if anything he did wrong in them, and whether he keeps repeating the mistake. We should also hope to see Emoni play with a proper lineup where he's got Allen or Mobley to protect him and Garland or Mitchell to play off of.

The team's most-used lineup with Bates did have Mobley at the 5. It was not good.

I'm not saying Bates needs to spend the whole year in the G-League, I just want to see a longer proof of concept than Summer League and preseason. His hot shooting makes the highlights look good, but he has two college seasons of looking not good and plenty of reasons to believe he isn't physically ready.

JBB was saying he'd be in the ROY conversation because score-first players on lottery teams who are given the keys on day 1 usually get into those conversations and Emoni is a guy who will put points on the board. Whether he has even two NBA-level skills is a question.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#54 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:10 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Maybe Jon Leuer?

Who are you kicking out of JB's 8 man rotation to force feed Emoni Bates NBA minutes in his rookie season?

JB has not proven with any consistency that he will play more than 8 guys any significant amount of minutes, since he became the coach midway through the 2019-2020 season.

The Cavs aren't a rebuilding team, there's a lot on the line this season. The days of forcing undeserved minutes to guys like Manny Harris, Samardo Samuels, and Christian Eyenga are long gone.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#55 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Of course, I'm cognizant that JBB is always coaching for his job... So he's either a liar or an idiot...

Well, we already know he's a liar, everything the guy said he would do in the off season he hasn't. No 11 man rotation like he said and no improved offense like said. 2 boldface lies right there and i guess because of that, he's an idiot too.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#56 » by JonFromVA » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:I think guys like Lamar Stevens and Dean Wade learned a lot about being role players and they have pretty much maxed out their play based on their physical traits and roles with the team. On this current construction of the Cavs, Emoni would come in as a role player. He needs to not make stupid rookie mistakes to contribute. I would like to at least take some of the edge off of the introductory phase of the NBA.

The team's most-used lineup with Bates did have Mobley at the 5. It was not good.

I'm not saying Bates needs to spend the whole year in the G-League, I just want to see a longer proof of concept than Summer League and preseason. His hot shooting makes the highlights look good, but he has two college seasons of looking not good and plenty of reasons to believe he isn't physically ready.

JBB was saying he'd be in the ROY conversation because score-first players on lottery teams who are given the keys on day 1 usually get into those conversations and Emoni is a guy who will put points on the board. Whether he has even two NBA-level skills is a question.

There just aren't enough minutes and talent there to do anything other than go play by play if you want to make the case that Emoni needs to go work on some more things before getting another shot.

As for his history, it was a great predictor for what he did in his very first game at the VSL, but when game two hit and his approach started to change; I've thrown that all out.

All I'm saying is I think we need to challenge the kid with a real opportunity and see how he responds. If he plays well, that's great. If he keeps making the same mistakes, then we can tell him exactly what we want to see him working on. When he shows progress, give him another run.

Developing players is so beneficial and finding ways to play to a player's strengths and hide his weaknesses should be at the root of what any decent head coach does.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#57 » by toooskies » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There just aren't enough minutes and talent there to do anything other than go play by play if you want to make the case that Emoni needs to go work on some more things before getting another shot.

As for his history, it was a great predictor for what he did in his very first game at the VSL, but when game two hit and his approach started to change; I've thrown that all out.

All I'm saying is I think we need to challenge the kid with a real opportunity and see how he responds. If he plays well, that's great. If he keeps making the same mistakes, then we can tell him exactly what we want to see him working on. When he shows progress, give him another run.

Developing players is so beneficial and finding ways to play to a player's strengths and hide his weaknesses should be at the root of what any decent head coach does.

I just want to see Emoni do it at the G-League level for a month before I invest NBA minutes in him, particularly while the Cavs are already having trouble finding their footing this year.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#58 » by JonFromVA » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:11 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:The team's most-used lineup with Bates did have Mobley at the 5. It was not good.

I just want to see Emoni do it at the G-League level for a month before I invest NBA minutes in him, particularly while the Cavs are already having trouble finding their footing this year.

I suspect you're going to get your wish, but what if he's still lighting up the g-league in a month and the Cavs still can't find anything but garbage minutes for him?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#59 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I suspect you're going to get your wish, but what if he's still lighting up the g-league in a month and the Cavs still can't find anything but garbage minutes for him?
Then who cares, he's pick 49 and guaranteed nothing. Guy can be a restricted FA for like 2 or 3 summers or something wild.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 860

Post#60 » by ijspeelman » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Maybe someone values him more than us and wants to trade for him.

You would hope if he started tearing up the g-league, the Cavs would be smart enough to see his potential current value and give him at least a little bit of meaningful minutes

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers