Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 875

Re: Game 11: Cavs @ Trailblazers 11/15/2023 

Post#61 » by ijspeelman » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:03 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:For fun, I'll try to get each team's average players with 10 minutes or more minutes per game this season later so we can put this to bed.
That's not really an accurate portrayal. JB will play 8 guys 10+ minutes regardless who is there and then bench them when guys get healthy.

That also won't account for blowouts when scrubs log 10+ minutes.

It literally has to be done on a game by game basis

The most accurate exercise would be take every game from February 2020 until now that JB coached and eliminate garbage minutes. Then check every game how many guys played 10+ minutes or whatever minute # you all determine as being in the rotation (6, 8, 12 or whatever just keep the variable static from start to finish once determined [pre exercise]).

Compiling the data will be the hardest part, after that I'm sure a pivot table + vlookup can be done to determine on average how many guys per season were getting rotation minutes, then take the 5 averages and average them for his career #.

Complete random example below...

2019-20: 8.3
2020-21: 7.9
2021-22: 8.0
2022-23: 7.7
2023-24: 7.5

For all the games we have had garbage time, its debatable if 1-3 guys in total would qualify for the ten minute mark if there was never garbage time, thus I am not going to care about garbage time for any team (bc I'm lazy).

I'll do this season and if I am motivated, I'll do add'l JB seasons.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,335

Post#62 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:33 am

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:For fun, I'll try to get each team's average players with 10 minutes or more minutes per game this season later so we can put this to bed.
That's not really an accurate portrayal. JB will play 8 guys 10+ minutes regardless who is there and then bench them when guys get healthy.

The most accurate exercise would be take every game from February 2020 until now that JB coached and eliminate garbage minutes. Then check every game how many guys played 10+ minutes or whatever minute # you all determine as being in the rotation (6, 8, 12 or whatever just keep the variable static from start to finish once determined [pre exercise]).

Compiling the data will be the hardest part, after that I'm sure a pivot table + vlookup can be done to determine on average how many guys per season were getting rotation minutes, then take the 5 averages and average them for his career #.

For all the games we have had garbage time, its debatable if 1-3 guys in total would qualify for the ten minute mark if there was never garbage time, thus I am not going to care about garbage time for any team (bc I'm lazy).

Yeah, gotta do game by game though otherwise it looks like we have 9 starters when there are only 5 guys able to start lol

Can't just go to BBREF and look at MPG.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#63 » by ijspeelman » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:07 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Can't just go to BBREF and look at MPG.

Don't worry I am going game by game lol. May post findings after Thanksgiving as I am using this as a project for myself to web scrape bball ref and automate the data
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,437

Post#64 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:04 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:If he's asked a question, what's he supposed to say, my boss can't fill out a roster? He might play 10 or 11 guys if everybody was healthy, but they aren't.

What else are we supposed to judge these people by if not their words and actions?

When we see a coach say something and stick with it until it works, he should get all the credit; otherwise we can look at the W-L column but that may be more due to good / bad luck.

JBB has always coached like his job is on the line with each game, but if he can't step back and see the big picture; that should get him fired. :lol:

The problem is we aren't the judges of whether JBB deserves to get fired and aren't the people he needs to be honest with.

He should absolutely not be honest with the media about player evaluation-- he should be using the media to give the proper motivations to players. If Emoni needs to hear that he could be in the ROY conversation to keep his attention a level where he'll do what he needs to do to set foot on an NBA court, that's what you say. If you need to say you need to run in transition just to convince your star players to stop walking the ball up the court, you do that. You set aspirational goals in training camp, not reasonable ones.

Being honest, particularly with the media/public, isn't the job.

His job is a lot safer if the fan base and season ticket holders understand what he's doing and why. PR Is one of the bigger aspects of a head coaching job. Consistent messaging and follow through are important and easy enough to do without throwing individuals under the bus.

Dan Gilbert does keep tight reigns on messaging, but I sure don't credit him for that. How many time has AC grumbled about somebody blowing an assignment? He darn well knows who, he's just not permitted to say. Literally makes him look like a moron and makes our broadcasts pathetic compared to more professional organizations.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,437

Post#65 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:11 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

You could just look at first half minutes played, its pretty representative of players the coach wants to be playing. Second half lineups will often tighten up or loosen up situationally.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#66 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:24 am

ijspeelman wrote:

Don't worry I am going game by game lol. May post findings after Thanksgiving as I am using this as a project for myself to web scrape bball ref and automate the data
I'll be eager to see the results, because I've been watching a lot of league pass since i got it free and i see tons of teams going deeper into their benches nightly than JB could ever dream of.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#67 » by ijspeelman » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:25 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I'll be eager to see the results, because I've been watching a lot of league pass since i got it free and i see tons of teams going deeper into their benches nightly than JB could ever dream of.

I'm almost done fr, but I got sick during Thanksgiving so I gave it up until I feel better lol

I'll most likely give the most recent result and the result from when the discussion started
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#68 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:08 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I'm almost done fr, but I got sick during Thanksgiving so I gave it up until I feel better lol

I'll most likely give the most recent result and the result from when the discussion started
Everyone i know is getting sick, family, friends, co-workers. Something must be going around.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers