jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,479

Re: Game 22: Cavs @ Heat 12/8/2023 

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 2:11 am

I never want to see Damian Jones play meaningful minutes again
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,507

Post#4 » by afarmenian » Sat Dec 9, 2023 3:32 am

That was a great win kudos to the Cavs.

Only thing I would nitpick is Allen becoming an afterthought got to get him some touches to keep him engaged.

That and Levert just doesn't seem all that necessary anymore except when Garland or Mitchell is injured
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 875

Post#5 » by ijspeelman » Sat Dec 9, 2023 3:44 am

afarmenian wrote:That was a great win kudos to the Cavs.

Only thing I would nitpick is Allen becoming an afterthought got to get him some touches to keep him engaged.

That and Levert just doesn't seem all that necessary anymore except when Garland or Mitchell is injured

Looks like we don't need Mobley either since we played great defense without him
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,343

Post#6 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:02 am

If you're gonna give criticism you have to be able to give praise too.

10 man rotation, 11 guys touched the floor. Kudos JB, hopefully this is a sign of things to come and not a one off.

Especially since it resulted in a W.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,697

Post#7 » by toooskies » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:07 am

Miami was missing Bam so they helped a ton on the inside. Allen got several shots that were all contested. We had to win by shooting over them like we did against New York... And Sam Merrill was the man for the occasion. (And Mitchell.)
afarmenian
Analyst

Post#8 » by afarmenian » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:26 am

ijspeelman wrote:

Looks like we don't need Mobley either since we played great defense without him

Well 3-0 without Levert is a little bit more telling sarcastic sally.

I don't think Levert is a bad player by any means just redundant where Garland and Mitchell are available.

Mobley is impossible to be redundant where you only have one starter quality true center on the roster
afarmenian
Analyst

Post#9 » by afarmenian » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:36 am

toooskies wrote:

Miami was missing Bam so they helped a ton on the inside. Allen got several shots that were all contested. We had to win by shooting over them like we did against New York... And Sam Merrill was the man for the occasion. (And Mitchell.)

I think that's exactly the lazy offensive thinking that limits this team. Allen is more than capable of getting the ball high post and pressing defenses with a drive. It's the guards that freeze him out by going pick and roll 5 times in a row and Not quickly passing out of those traps and zones. Allen isn't Jokic but he is no stiff he can make plays high post and collapse the defense
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 875

Post#10 » by ijspeelman » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:38 am

afarmenian wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Well 3-0 without Levert is a little bit more telling sarcastic sally

That’s fair, but as a 6th man he isn’t going to have as much impact generally as a starter either way. I really think LeVert has become a guy that most teams would like on their roster. Solid defense, secondary playmaking from the wing spot, and veteran presence.

I do think his biggest issue as been consistently spacing the floor and even when he does he hasn’t been a plus efficiency from the floor. Still I think he’s a guy that provides value playing time on the Cavs and could potentially be a trade asset, but need another secondary playmaker back imo
afarmenian
Analyst

Post#11 » by afarmenian » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:59 am

Credit where credit is due after the bad start 12 and 6. After the next 4 games we have one of the easiest SOS left and we really have only played 4 obviously non playoff teams the entire year
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,148

Post#12 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Dec 9, 2023 2:58 pm

Georges Niang is really starting to hit his stride. After that miserable start to the season, he shot 40% from deep last month and he’s shooting 46% from deep to start this month. Having that sharpshooter off the bench along with Wade is going to be critical to Cleveland’s success.

I predicted Cleveland would bounce back from the bad start and apart from that loss to the Blazers, they’ve been very good as of late and have won 9 of their last 12 games.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,439

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:13 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

Sure, we can, but that's the beauty of having both Allen and Mobley (we can have one of them on the floor pretty much all the time) if we don't wear them down unnecessarily.

Some random observations:

- Tristan has been amazing off the bench ... that 2nd quarter was terrific, really put the charge back in to the team.
- Yeah, Jones was awful, but I'm not over-judging someone who gets such sporadic minutes. Especially not compared to Tristan who at this point in his career is playing for fun and spending money.
- Can we see CPJ and/or Merrill without Garland getting 4 fouls?
- Can we play CPJ with Mitchell again?
- Deaner led the team with a +23, but only took 5 shots.
- Hopefully Max really wanting a win doesn't continue to hurt his shooting.
- Jarrett was the only starter who wasn't +15 or better, rather he was -2. Something or nothing?

Players like Dean and Isaac are probably never going to see much utilization if our coaching staff can't be bothered to draw something up utilizing them. Guys with a quick trigger like Niang or Merill, otoh, can get shots up. Which is a good sign for Bates if he ever catches a break and the coaching staff encourages him to move off the ball like Niang and Merrill do.

With 5 wins in the last 6, the Cavs are getting back on track.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,479

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:24 am

ijspeelman wrote:

Allen gets an entirely irrational amount of hate from Cavs fans.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers