And1: 880

Game 31: Cavs @ Mavericks 12/27/2023 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:04 am

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Re: Game 31: Cavs @ Mavericks 12/27/2023 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:18 am

Dang, i was supposed to be in Dallas for this one but with Garland, Mobley, and Mitchell out, i guess everything happens for a reason.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,555

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:14 am

LeVert's defensive effort this year has been really uninspired.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#4 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:25 am

I like seeing Bates get minutes, but his green light needs to be reeled down lol. It feels like anytime he gets passed the ball in a place where he can set and shoot on the perimeter he does

I liked the dump down to Allen tho
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#5 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:27 am

jbk1234 wrote:LeVert's defensive effort this year has been really uninspired.

Our defense has been incredibly poor this game. Its not even just the Mavs/Luka picking us apart, but uncharacteristic missed switches, rotations, and help

A lot of the times I'll see someone in the help spot and just imagining Mobley there and knowing that the shot would at least be contested rather than wide open haha
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#6 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:28 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Dang, i was supposed to be in Dallas for this one but with Garland, Mobley, and Mitchell out, i guess everything happens for a reason.

Went the Mavs game last year in Cleveland and of course Luka was a late scratch off. It happens
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#7 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:31 am

Its a bit funny watching Bates try to run our scheme against Luka. Tall task for a rookie even if he's just being targeted in the PNR and trying to show
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:50 am

Almost didn't watch the second half.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#9 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:56 am

What a crazy commendable performance from the team

Defense was so outside of the realm what we were used to seeing in the first and then JB switches it up in the second and locks down the Mavs scheme. Lets Allen get switched on Doncic and Allen steps up. Has the wing defender closer in sink into the passing lane as to not allow Doncic drives. Has a crazy rotation and help system that worked and confused even Doncic

Jarrett Allen is on an all-star run right now. He's the hub of offense being tasked with DHOs, PNRs, high post touches while also self-generating more than we've seen from him since 2021-22
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#10 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 am

jbk1234 wrote:Almost didn't watch the second half.

Glad you did :wink:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#11 » by ijspeelman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:59 am

It keeps feeling like the bottom is going to fall out for this Cleveland Clinic squad, but the guys keep stepping up

I agree with jbk that we are yet to face a top defense, but our defense has been Cleveland Clinical™ so I am curious how those team's offense will look against ours
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:14 am

ijspeelman wrote:It keeps feeling like the bottom is going to fall out for this Cleveland Clinic squad, but the guys keep stepping up

I agree with jbk that we are yet to face a top defense, but our defense has been Cleveland Clinical™ so I am curious how those team's offense will look against ours

Allen has really carried us during this stretch. It's hard to pull off 24 points and 23 rebounds. LeVert with his typical Jekkyl and Hyde performance. He was -27 in the first half and finished -16 with 29 points. CPJ had 12 rebounds and Wade added another 8. We really killed them on the boards which has been the Achilles heel for Dallas for a couple of years now. I like what I saw out of Lively though.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#13 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:16 am

ijspeelman wrote:What a crazy commendable performance from the team

Defense was so outside of the realm what we were used to seeing in the first and then JB switches it up in the second and locks down the Mavs scheme. Lets Allen get switched on Doncic and Allen steps up. Has the wing defender closer in sink into the passing lane as to not allow Doncic drives. Has a crazy rotation and help system that worked and confused even Doncic

Jarrett Allen is on an all-star run right now. He's the hub of offense being tasked with DHOs, PNRs, high post touches while also self-generating more than we've seen from him since 2021-22
Might be the time to sell high on him. Especially since this run is coming when he's playing with 4 perimeter players, just goes to show that Mobley and Allen are a less than ideal fit.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#14 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:26 am

ijspeelman wrote:I like seeing Bates get minutes, but his green light needs to be reeled down lol. It feels like anytime he gets passed the ball in a place where he can set and shoot on the perimeter he does

I liked the dump down to Allen tho

Bates should dial it back and save some of those shots for heat checks, but his floor game is improving and that's what has to happen for him to earn more minutes.

Cavs had another 33 assist game, so its not really fair at this point to call it a fluke. Our offense is running better and there's still room for end game heroics.

Lots of credit to JBB and his staff for the half time adjustments. They actually made the adjustments they said they needed to make.

Jarrett was amazing and some of it is just trust from his teammates to give him the ball in spots where he has to do more than dunk. We used him to defend in space against Doncic, but didn't leave him on an island in the second half.

Looks like this team needs a certain level of desperation to try new approaches and I'm just hoping they don't forget this.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:27 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:

Might be the time to sell high on him. Especially since this run is coming when he's playing with 4 perimeter players, just goes to show that Mobley and Allen are a less than ideal fit.

If Mobley doesn't develop a reliable 10-15 foot jumper, I'm not entirely sure Allen is the one we should trade. There is something to be said for being able to put Mobley on Giannis, Butler, or Tatum in a 7 game series, and still have Allen at the 5 spot though. The Knicks really were the worst matchup in the East last year and Mitchell Robinson is out this season. I want to see this squad with one more postseason run.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:36 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:

They're playing inside out a lot thanks to CPJ, Isaac, and others constantly attacking and everyone moving the ball - nothing they can't do with Evan and others if they buy in.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:50 am

ijspeelman wrote:It keeps feeling like the bottom is going to fall out for this Cleveland Clinic squad, but the guys keep stepping up

Why does it matter that the teams we've beaten are not top defensive teams? Our goal here is to keep the season afloat, not establish we are a contender missing so many key players.

Feel free to sanity check against the past, but this streak of high assist games is still pretty impressive and all the more so without our best playmakers.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#18 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:57 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

They're playing inside out a lot thanks to CPJ, Isaac, and others constantly attacking and everyone moving the ball - nothing they can't do with Evan and others if they buy in.
That is a massive "if".
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#19 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:01 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

If Mobley doesn't develop a reliable 10-15 foot jumper, I'm not entirely sure Allen is the one we should trade. There is something to be said for being able to put Mobley on Giannis, Butler, or Tatum in a 7 game series, and still have Allen at the 5 spot though. The Knicks really were the worst matchup in the East last year and Mitchell Robinson is out this season. I want to see this squad with one more postseason run.
I don't think Jb is up to snuff for the post season to end any different than the past 2 but i think ownership and the front office are willing to give it another go.

ijs it may be wise to sell high on Allen, if the offer is right, be it February 8th or this summer.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#20 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:06 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Might be the time to sell high on him. Especially since this run is coming when he's playing with 4 perimeter players, just goes to show that Mobley and Allen are a less than ideal fit.

That is a massive "if".

Well it's not Allen or Mobley who are going to refuse to accept a bigger role in the offense, so simple solution is to trade whoever isn't buying in.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers