And1: 878

Game 33: Cavs @ Raptors 1/1/2024 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Tue Jan 2, 2024 12:01 am

Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,179

Re: Game 33: Cavs @ Raptors 1/1/2024 

Post#2 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Jan 2, 2024 12:44 am

I normally don't go by this way of thinking... but I'll be embarrassed if the Cavaliers can't beat the team that just lost to the Pistons.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,394

Post#3 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 2, 2024 12:51 am

Oh dang, Raps starting their brand new backcourt together.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#4 » by ijspeelman » Tue Jan 2, 2024 1:13 am

Iwasawitness wrote:I normally don't go by this way of thinking... but I'll be embarrassed if the Cavaliers can't beat the team that just lost to the Pistons.

I mean they lost to the Pistons with an extremely shortened roster and now they have some new guys so its not like its the same team.

Also, Pistons have been legit better with Boban and Duran back
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#5 » by ijspeelman » Tue Jan 2, 2024 1:13 am

I love that Merrill has the greenest of green lights
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,526

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 3:39 am

I'd be really, really upset if we were healthy and the officials sent the Raptors to the free throw line that many times in a row with under three minutes. We had started to open up a lead when it happened. Sometimes it really does seem like the officials are managing the game. That was another what was JBB saving his challenge for game.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#7 » by ijspeelman » Tue Jan 2, 2024 3:42 am

Tough loss.

At 6:26 in the 4th, JB took out Merrill for Okoro. Okoro proceeds to get ignored and miss two open corner threes. I know its a small sample for those misses, but them ignoring Okoro led to a packed paint where for which we needed to rely on a crazy LeVert three and then free throws. I think JB used Merrill excellently besides that (I think we could have used him at the end of the 3rd as a decoy, but maybe was just me). He was playing about 10 minutes straight at that point so maybe just needed to get him some rest.

I love that Max Strus finally gets an open corner three and drains it which transforms him into efficient gunslinger mode.

I saw some comments on reddit about CPJ's lack of minutes, but I think this is the worst kind of line-up for him to face (all wings) and I think it showed in his 6 minutes with the eye test and the +/-

I don't understand the non-call of the travel on Siakam, but sadly the Mitchell lane violation seemed fair. Lots of odd small fouls called on the Cavs that were indeed fouls, but the same was not being called for the Raptors imo
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,394

Post#8 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 2, 2024 3:50 am

They always seem to have our number for 1 reason or another.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,707

Post#9 » by toooskies » Tue Jan 2, 2024 4:14 am

ijspeelman wrote:Tough loss.

At 6:26 in the 4th, JB took out Merrill for Okoro. Okoro proceeds to get ignored and miss two open corner threes. I know its a small sample for those misses, but them ignoring Okoro led to a packed paint where for which we needed to rely on a crazy LeVert three and then free throws. I think JB used Merrill excellently besides that (I think we could have used him at the end of the 3rd as a decoy, but maybe was just me). He was playing about 10 minutes straight at that point so maybe just needed to get him some rest.

I love that Max Strus finally gets an open corner three and drains it which transforms him into efficient gunslinger mode.

I saw some comments on reddit about CPJ's lack of minutes, but I think this is the worst kind of line-up for him to face (all wings) and I think it showed in his 6 minutes with the eye test and the +/-

I don't understand the non-call of the travel on Siakam, but sadly the Mitchell lane violation seemed fair. Lots of odd small fouls called on the Cavs that were indeed fouls, but the same was not being called for the Raptors imo

Lost count of the number of times Cavs players got hacked when shooting at the rim.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,455

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 2, 2024 3:18 pm

I just saw it as a game that Mitchell needed to close and he couldn't, even got caught twice on lane violations that the refs missed last year.

Of course it would have helped if we defended the 3pt line better and didn't give up 41pts in the first quarter.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I just saw it as a game that Mitchell needed to close and he couldn't, even got caught twice on lane violations that the refs missed last year.

Of course it would have helped if we defended the 3pt line better and didn't give up 41pts in the first quarter.

The second one hurt because we had both Allen and TT in to grab the rebound. I thought Mitchell's worst play was the clear path foul on Barnes though. That started the cascade of free throws. You have to live with the dunk there and run it back.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:18 pm

toooskies wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:Tough loss.

Lost count of the number of times Cavs players got hacked when shooting at the rim.

Allen has to miss in order to get a foul call and only gets that call half the time.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers