And1: 859

Game 68: Cavs @ Pacers 3/18/2024 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:46 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Re: Game 68: Cavs @ Pacers 3/18/2024 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:07 pm

Morris will allegedly be available for this game.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#3 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm

Didn't know Mitchell was out tonight, when did he break his nose?
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,791

Post#4 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 am

Marcus Morris has pleasantly surprised me so far. I love what he brings as someone who can spread the floor and plays good defense. He’s also not afraid to be an annoying little **** which is what this team needs. The only problem is that Cleveland actually has a pretty deep team when fully healthy and I seriously doubt he’ll get any minutes once Mobley and Wade are back. But it’s nice to have that backup PF option if one of them aren’t available to play.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#5 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

14 points in his debut, nice!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Didn't know Mitchell was out tonight, when did he break his nose?

Got smacked in the nose in the last game, but came back from the locker-room, so had no clue how serious it was. Also his knee is still bothering him, the PRP injection wasn't magic...
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Didn't know Mitchell was out tonight, when did he break his nose?

Got smacked in the nose in the last game, but came back from the locker-room, so had no clue how serious it was. Also his knee is still bothering him, the PRP injection wasn't magic...
Sounds like Jb will have the excuse of health again if we bow out early for the 3rd consecutive post season lol
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

CPJ needs to be getting 10 mpg until Mitchell is healed.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#9 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:29 am

jbk1234 wrote:CPJ needs to be getting 10 mpg until Mitchell is healed.

LeVert or Garland would need to get hurt, which shouldn't take long.
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#10 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:40 pm

If I'm Cleveland, I'm giving Morris a contract for the rest of the season immediately. I know this is just one game, but what he provides as a backup PF can't be understated. To have someone who can create their own offense, score from anywhere on the floor, play good defense and provide toughness to the team, on top of having a ton of experience? Even if he's not getting minutes (and he shouldn't once Wade and Mobley are back), he's still someone I want on the team. Give that man a contract.

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#11 » by toooskies » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 pm

CPJ wasn't good in his first shift last night and so didn't get a second one. This is an okay way to coach rookies, particularly on a night where LeVert was cooking.

Iwasawitness wrote:If I'm Cleveland, I'm giving Morris a contract for the rest of the season immediately. I know this is just one game, but what he provides as a backup PF can't be understated. To have someone who can create their own offense, score from anywhere on the floor, play good defense and provide toughness to the team, on top of having a ton of experience? Even if he's not getting minutes (and he shouldn't once Wade and Mobley are back), he's still someone I want on the team. Give that man a contract.

This was a very good Marcus Morris game. He will not go 4/5 from three every night. And it's too early to judge locker room impact, which is the most important thing when bringing in a vet who may only get spot minutes in the playoffs.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:01 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:If I'm Cleveland, I'm giving Morris a contract for the rest of the season immediately. I know this is just one game, but what he provides as a backup PF can't be understated. To have someone who can create their own offense, score from anywhere on the floor, play good defense and provide toughness to the team, on top of having a ton of experience? Even if he's not getting minutes (and he shouldn't once Wade and Mobley are back), he's still someone I want on the team. Give that man a contract.

Well, I suspect JBB will agree with you, albeit he may want to see more than one game. As for Altman, he'd likely prefer to get a good long look at guys like Evan, Isaac, and Dean in the playoffs as well as at least getting Sam and Craig a taste of it. He might be concerned JBB will start tossing them out of the rotation in preference for experienced vets (TT and MM).

This is the second time MM has made 4 3pters, and his season high is 5. So, outlier or trend?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm

toooskies wrote:

CPJ wasn't good in his first shift last night and so didn't get a second one. This is an okay way to coach rookies, particularly on a night where LeVert was cooking.

This was a very good Marcus Morris game. He will not go 4/5 from three every night. And it's too early to judge locker room impact, which is the most important thing when bringing in a vet who may only get spot minutes in the playoffs.

If Garland or Allen get injured in one of these games, while playing past the point of being tired, that's the season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#14 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

If Garland or Allen get injured in one of these games, while playing past the point of being tired, that's the season.

Mobley is due back soon and Mitchell won’t be out for long. If this entire season is any indicator, as long as we have at least two of the big four, we can beat just about anyone.

toooskies
Analyst

Post#15 » by toooskies » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Because Garland played the totally unreasonable amount of... 36 minutes, 5 seconds. Allen played the past the point of being tired limit at... 33 minutes, 59 seconds.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Dang, Mitchell had surgery on his nose, so he's gonna miss some time.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:33 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:CPJ wasn't good in his first shift last night and so didn't get a second one. This is an okay way to coach rookies, particularly on a night where LeVert was cooking.

Because Garland played the totally unreasonable amount of... 36 minutes, 5 seconds. Allen played the past the point of being tired limit at... 33 minutes, 59 seconds.

Those two have played every single game since the all star break (Garland a couple more and Allen a lot more). Also, it's not just about minutes per game. How many minutes without a break are they being asked to play? At how fast a pace? Is Allen dealing with multiple large bodies on him? Is Garland being asked to push pace against 3/4 court press defense without Mitchell or Strus on the floor?

I don't consider myself to be a savant when it comes to perception, but it sure appears to me that JBB leaves them out there until they're exhausted, and sometimes adds a few minutes for good measure. He's also pretty bad a making sure there's something left in the tank for the end of games.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#18 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:20 am

jbk1234 wrote:I don't consider myself to be a savant when it comes to perception, but it sure appears to me that JBB leaves them out there until they're exhausted, and sometimes adds a few minutes for good measure. He's also pretty bad a making sure there's something left in the tank for the end of games.

That has always been his issue, it is compounded by him being bad at making sure there's something left in the tank for the end of the season.

The guy literally blamed the players for not having conditioning that was up to par after he ran them into the ground, in the Knicks series. If i was Jb's boss and heard that, i would fire him immediately for the lack of accountability from a leader. And if i was Jb's bosses boss and he didn't fire him after i heard those comments, i would fire them both for being spineless and lacking what it takes to win in the NBA, when it counts.

But you'll never get anywhere with Jb apologists, there's always an excuse.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:24 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Those two have played every single game since the all star break (Garland a couple more and Allen a lot more). Also, it's not just about minutes per game. How many minutes without a break are they being asked to play? At how fast a pace? Is Allen dealing with multiple large bodies on him? Is Garland being asked to push pace against 3/4 court press defense without Mitchell or Strus on the floor?

I don't consider myself to be a savant when it comes to perception, but it sure appears to me that JBB leaves them out there until they're exhausted, and sometimes adds a few minutes for good measure. He's also pretty bad a making sure there's something left in the tank for the end of games.

You see Garland running clock when we need a score and it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together. It's one thing when we just flat out sucked when LeBron was off the floor, but this team has options if the coach cared to prepare and use them.

He's no Thibs, though....
toooskies
Analyst

Post#20 » by toooskies » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:12 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I don't consider myself to be a savant when it comes to perception, but it sure appears to me that JBB leaves them out there until they're exhausted, and sometimes adds a few minutes for good measure. He's also pretty bad a making sure there's something left in the tank for the end of games.

That has always been his issue, it is compounded by him being bad at making sure there's something left in the tank for the end of the season.

The guy literally blamed the players for not having conditioning that was up to par after he ran them into the ground, in the Knicks series. If i was Jb's boss and heard that, i would fire him immediately for the lack of accountability from a leader. And if i was Jb's bosses boss and he didn't fire him after i heard those comments, i would fire them both for being spineless and lacking what it takes to win in the NBA, when it counts.

But you'll never get anywhere with Jb apologists, there's always an excuse.

The problem is you're simultaneously criticizing JBB for
- not having his star players in good enough shape to not get tired on an ordinary star player load of 35-36 minutes a game (which is where Garland and Allen are since the ASB)
- playing his players too much

You know how you get in better shape? Either you do a ton of off-court cardio, or you play through being tired in games. One or the other. But a lot of it is part of the physical maturation process that older guys can manage better than younger guys.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers