And1: 5,096

Re: Game 69: Heat @ Cavs 3/20/2024 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:35 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#3 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:04 am

Whoa, the Cavs are on broadcast TV, nice. Get to watch the 2nd half for free with my digital antenna.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#4 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:25 am

Idk how i feel about the Cavs zone. If Niang hit his open 3s it would be a moot point.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#5 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:29 am

Man sub in Morris Niang clearly doesn't have it. Jb sucks at rotations man, i swear.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#6 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:34 am

Beautiful 4 point play by Garland.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:36 am

I cannot believe in Jb's 5th season as head coach that blitzing the ball handler is still a guaranteed turnover smh guy has learned nothing.
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,799

Post#8 » by Iwasawitness » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:46 am

Why is Garland playing so many minutes in this one?
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#9 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:04 am

I really hope Jb has a different offense ready for the playoffs lol this "system" is so awful and easy to shutdown.

On the bright side, Niang finally knocked in a 3.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#10 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:13 am

I did not agree with that timeout by Jb, situationally. We'll see if it matters or not down the stretch.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#11 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am

Terry been cooking Okoro the last couple times he's been on him.
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#12 » by Iwasawitness » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:19 am

First we give up a 4 point play, then LeVert passes up an open shot to pass out to Okoro for a shot clock violation. Now Miami has the lead. Unbelievable.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#13 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:21 am

Iwasawitness wrote:First we give up a 4 point play, then LeVert passes up an open shot to pass out to Okoro for a shot clock violation. Now Miami has the lead. Unbelievable.
Terry has abused Okoro the last 3 or 4 times.
Iwasawitness
Starter

Post#14 » by Iwasawitness » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:22 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:First we give up a 4 point play, then LeVert passes up an open shot to pass out to Okoro for a shot clock violation. Now Miami has the lead. Unbelievable.
Terry has abused Okoro the last 3 or 4 times.

Yeah and he just did it again.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#15 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:28 am

I will start with the good and say Allen is an absolute beast 25 and 20 game.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:36 am

Now for the bad and there's a lot of it.

Jb lost the Cavs this game and he's in full post season form.

If the Cavs are on a 11-2 run and regained the lead, don't take a timeout and kill the momentum. Jb did this earlier in the season too, what was it a Pacers game? Furthermore, do NOT challenge the Okoro foul, the timeout is more important, who cares if they tie up the game.

Jb played every single starter 35+ minutes, only 7 total players over 10+ minutes in this one. Also, the static not situational rotations is such an archaic mindset.

Lastly, that offense is down right ugly, gotta do something other than iso and high PnR but people have been saying that for 5 straight seasons.

Idk how people sit in front of their TV for 82 games and come away with the opinion that Jb is a good coach, absolutely mind blowning to me.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,183

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:57 am

I feel like Okoro and LeVert are doing a pretty good job of demonstrating why we had to sign Strus last summer. The amount of missed opportunities when the other team is tilting their entire defense against Garland are starting to make me angry. The Heat's bigs are all the way out to the three point line with their PNR defense, Garland is doubled, or at least shown against, and I can't get one back cut to the rim?

There's only so much you can reasonably blame on coaching. I mean basketball isn't brain surgery. If they're hiding Rozier on you, or leaving you to double on Garland, you have to take advantage of that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,660

Post#18 » by toooskies » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:15 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Now for the bad and there's a lot of it.

If the Cavs are on a 11-2 run and regained the lead, don't take a timeout and kill the momentum. Jb did this earlier in the season too, what was it a Pacers game? Furthermore, do NOT challenge the Okoro foul, the timeout is more important, who cares if they tie up the game.

Jb played every single starter 35+ minutes, only 7 total players over 10+ minutes in this one. Also, the static not situational rotations is such an archaic mindset.

Lastly, that offense is down right ugly, gotta do something other than iso and high PnR but people have been saying that for 5 straight seasons.

Idk how people sit in front of their TV for 82 games and come away with the opinion that Jb is a good coach, absolutely mind blowning to me.

Yep, JBB pushed all your buttons on this one. I assure you he doesn't coach like this every night.

If JBB wins that challenge, and it was close (the ref didn't do a good job of explaining it), JBB keeps the timeout and we are one point closer to the win. He probably thought he'd win since the refs were calling the high hand touch consistently throughout the night, and like the TV commentators didn't notice the leg contact.

We are missing four rotation players and JBB played nine guys on the night. JBB didn't rotate his starters out in the 4th quarter, not giving Allen his typical break from roughly the 8 minute mark to the 4 minute mark. Which is how we came back from being down but also probably why we ran out of gas at the end. The timeout he took after the run was to give the starters a short rest so they maybe wouldn't be too burned out in crunch time.

JBB clearly doesn't trust CPJ, and CPJ didn't give him much reason to be trusted. -7 in 4 minutes, a couple of free throws, wasn't doing much for the offense. Remember that CPJ got destroyed in the Cavs' blowout loss to the Heat earlier in the year.

I think there's too many defensive breakdowns with Porter + Merrill out there. One thing I've been noticing is not that Merrill makes bad defensive plays, but there's just a lack of good ones-- slow to loose balls, rarely the guy to get make an off-ball steal, and he keeps losing those block/charge calls. Like Niang, his value is entirely dependent on if his shot is falling, and even a 4/9 night can seem like it isn't enough.

Niang's 3/11 with a lot of wide open misses hurt us, but his driving game continues to surprise. Niang being the third-best creator on the team on a given night is a problem. (For us.)

The Heat also stuck to defending their man most of the night, asking us to run the high pick and roll. You can't run a high ball-movement offense when the other team overplays the passing lanes. I agree that we need Okoro and anyone else off-ball to be a better cutter when the other team is guarding us so tight. But we don't get all that much practice with that!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#19 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm

toooskies wrote:

Yep, JBB pushed all your buttons on this one. I assure you he doesn't coach like this every night.

If JBB wins that challenge, and it was close (the ref didn't do a good job of explaining it), JBB keeps the timeout and we are one point closer to the win. He probably thought he'd win since the refs were calling the high hand touch consistently throughout the night, and like the TV commentators didn't notice the leg contact.

We are missing four rotation players and JBB played nine guys on the night. JBB didn't rotate his starters out in the 4th quarter, not giving Allen his typical break from roughly the 8 minute mark to the 4 minute mark. Which is how we came back from being down but also probably why we ran out of gas at the end. The timeout he took after the run was to give the starters a short rest so they maybe wouldn't be too burned out in crunch time.

JBB clearly doesn't trust CPJ, and CPJ didn't give him much reason to be trusted. -7 in 4 minutes, a couple of free throws, wasn't doing much for the offense. Remember that CPJ got destroyed in the Cavs' blowout loss to the Heat earlier in the year.

I think there's too many defensive breakdowns with Porter + Merrill out there. One thing I've been noticing is not that Merrill makes bad defensive plays, but there's just a lack of good ones-- slow to loose balls, rarely the guy to get make an off-ball steal, and he keeps losing those block/charge calls. Like Niang, his value is entirely dependent on if his shot is falling, and even a 4/9 night can seem like it isn't enough.

Niang's 3/11 with a lot of wide open misses hurt us, but his driving game continues to surprise. Niang being the third-best creator on the team on a given night is a problem. (For us.)

The Heat also stuck to defending their man most of the night, asking us to run the high pick and roll. You can't run a high ball-movement offense when the other team overplays the passing lanes. I agree that we need Okoro and anyone else off-ball to be a better cutter when the other team is guarding us so tight. But we don't get all that much practice with that!

I will believe you that this is an anomaly but dang if just 1 or 2 things go our way this is a win.

CPJ isn't a very big guy but his leash seems so short. If Jb is gonna trust TJ more, I hope he returns this season, although time is running out.

I don't have a lot of hope Merrill will be in the playoff rotation, i agree he's not a bad defender. The last 2 games I've watched, I have watched him make sound defensive plays, he just gets out muscled by the Jimmy Butler and Jaden McDaniels types.

Yeah, Niang coulda built a house with all those bricks but that shooting gravity will be so important, they respect him. That's why that floater he hit and then later the foul he drew inside the arc were possible because they didn't anticipate him doing anything but shooting, so they kept closing hard to him.

Allen feasted in the high PnR but Garland kept getting blitzed. If that is our go to in the post season, I'm very worried. We gotta try to make teams defend us different, because that is a recipe for disaster.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,183

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:12 pm

toooskies wrote:

As to the last point, I'm just not sure you should need coaching to cut to the basket under those circumstances. I'm not sure you should need coaches to tell you to stop leaking out when we don't have Mobley and Wade and are struggling to secure the defensive rebound either.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers