And1: 860

Game 72: Hornets @ Cavs 3/25/2024 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,096

Re: Game 72: Hornets @ Cavs 3/25/2024 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:28 pm

Well, in theory this game should get the Cavs back in the win column.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#3 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, in theory this game should get the Cavs back in the win column.

Second night of a b2b and 3rd game in 4 nights, so, since the team is so contrarian we'll probably shoot well.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#4 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, in theory this game should get the Cavs back in the win column.

Second night of a b2b and 3rd game in 4 nights, so, since the team is so contrarian we'll probably shoot well.

At least last night no one really played big minutes since it was a blowout.

I think the absence that is most confusing to me is Dean Wade. He was fine then his wife had a baby and now his knee is messed up.

I was thinking maybe they were just giving him extra time with his family but couldn't they just say personal? Or maybe there's limitations around that, idk.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:21 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I think the absence that is most confusing to me is Dean Wade. He was fine then his wife had a baby and now his knee is messed up.

I was thinking maybe they were just giving him extra time with his family but couldn't they just say personal? Or maybe there's limitations around that, idk.

I haven't seen an explanation for that one either. Just weird.

Koby needs to be shopping/drafting for some unbreakable player this Summer.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#6 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:46 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I haven't seen an explanation for that one either. Just weird.

Koby needs to be shopping/drafting for some unbreakable player this Summer.
We brought back our former Iron man in TT and then he popped for PEDs, just kinda how the season has been going.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 am

JonFromVA wrote:

Idk how they shot but I see they got the W
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

They couldn't make a 3pter until Marcus Morris elbowed a Hornet and got thrown out of the game. After that they went on to shoot 40% overall with Niang, Merrill, and Okoro getting open in the offense and knocking 'em down. CPJ even buried a step back 3pter.

Speaking of CPJ, he played well and got some second half run in this game as the second unit not only held together, they increased the lead. They even went on an 9-0 run in the 2nd half with a Craig-Caris-George-Sam-Evan lineup which is similar to the lineup I pointed out played well in the past but with Evan instead of Tristan.

MM may have just elbowed his way on to our playoff roster ...
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#9 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

They couldn't make a 3pter until Marcus Morris elbowed a Hornet and got thrown out of the game. After that they went on to shoot 40% overall with Niang, Merrill, and Okoro getting open in the offense and knocking 'em down. CPJ even buried a step back 3pter.

Speaking of CPJ, he played well and got some second half run in this game as the second unit not only held together, they increased the lead. They even went on an 9-0 run in the 2nd half with a Craig-Caris-George-Sam-Evan lineup which is similar to the lineup I pointed out played well in the past but with Evan instead of Tristan.

I was wondering why Morris' minutes were so low but that makes sense. I am very okay with his toughness being on the playoff roster even if for no other reason than situations like that.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,183

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Idk how they shot but I see they got the W

I was wondering why Morris' minutes were so low but that makes sense. I am very okay with his toughness being on the playoff roster even if for no other reason than situations like that.

It wasn't tough, it was just dirty. If he's retaliating, fine. Richards didn't do anything, or at least nothing I saw, and the Hornets are a soft team. It was completely unwarranted.

This is coming from the guy who's been screaming for two years to get an enforcer type on the roster. What you don't want is a goon out there initiating cheap shots because you don't want the opponent retaliating against Mitchell or Garland. If Morris understands the difference, and why it's important, he can stay. If not, the Cavs should just release him.

Another thing that bothered me is that like Niang and TT, Morris wasn't particularly physical with Heat the night before in the beat down. Are you tough, or are you just a bully?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

It wasn't tough, it was just dirty. If he's retaliating, fine. Richards didn't do anything, or at least nothing I saw, and the Hornets are a soft team. It was completely unwarranted.

This is coming from the guy who's been screaming for two years to get an enforcer type on the roster. What you don't want is a goon out there initiating cheap shots because you don't want the opponent retaliating against Mitchell or Garland. If Morris understands the difference, and why it's important, he can stay. If not, the Cavs should just release him.

Another thing that bothered me is that like Niang and TT, Morris wasn't particularly physical with Heat the night before in the beat down. Are you tough, or are you just a bully?

I was speed watching, so, didn't go back and watch all the replays. MM says he missed and didn't mean to hit Richards in the head, but there are ways to stop a dunk without throwing an elbow so I can see your issue with it.

fwiw, Garland is always getting hit in the head so hard to imagine it will make a difference, and there are times it's effective to escalate the physicality (commit an intentional flagrant) so the refs will start blowing their whistles.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I was wondering why Morris' minutes were so low but that makes sense. I am very okay with his toughness being on the playoff roster even if for no other reason than situations like that.

I was speed watching, so, didn't go back and watch all the replays. MM says he missed and didn't mean to hit Richards in the head, but there are ways to stop a dunk without throwing an elbow so I can see your issue with it.

fwiw, Garland is always getting hit in the head so hard to imagine it will make a difference, and there are times it's effective to escalate the physicality (commit an intentional flagrant) so the refs will start blowing their whistles.

Yes, when I talk about an enforcer what I mean is bringing in a guy like Morris or TT to whack Brunson when Garland or Mitchell are getting tuned up and officials are letting it go. I'm a don't start nothing, won't be nothing guy. I'm not looking to recreate the Pistons Bad Boys here.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yes, when I talk about an enforcer what I mean is bringing in a guy like Morris or TT to whack Brunson when Garland or Mitchell are getting tuned up and officials are letting it go. I'm a don't start nothing, won't be nothing guy. I'm not looking to recreate the Pistons Bad Boys here.

Sure, but there's a line between thugging it up and never knocking an opponent on their behind with a hard screen or a hard foul. I'm just not sure it helps all that much if those players spends most of their time on the bench. Did opponents treat LeBron any better just knowing we could send in Kendrick Perkins, for instance?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#14 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, but there's a line between thugging it up and never knocking an opponent on their behind with a hard screen or a hard foul. I'm just not sure it helps all that much if those players spends most of their time on the bench. Did opponents treat LeBron any better just knowing we could send in Kendrick Perkins, for instance?
Idk but JR, Perkins, and Dahntay Jones had no problem laying into opponents lol

Opposing teams will say Delly but the guy was just all hustle, similar to Andy. Neither were "enforcers" but had no issue believing every loose ball was theirs.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#15 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Like Jon said, there's a fine line. Morris is just gonna pop people for better or worse. Either ya want a guy who will pop people or we can just have a team of tissue paper.

That is kind of the whole role of a wildcard or a joker or a 2 face or in this case an "enforcer". Morris has no issue getting fined, ejected, or suspended. The issue is, sometimes he's just gonna do it.

Bonus points for anyone who knows what movie the gif is from.Image
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:20 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I think they thought twice about it after Perkins basically laid out Crowder in that Game 4 against the Celtics. In fact, every time Olynyk was set to enter the game Perkins went over to the scorers table and Stevens decided against putting him in. Blatt essentially ejected Olynyk from that game.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:27 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Like Jon said, there's a fine line. Morris is just gonna pop people for better or worse. Either ya want a guy who will pop people or we can just have a team of tissue paper.

That is kind of the whole role of a wildcard or a joker or a 2 face or in this case an "enforcer". Morris has no issue getting fined, ejected, or suspended. The issue is, sometimes he's just gonna do it.

GS fans ruined that movie.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#18 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

GS fans ruined that movie.
Lmao agreed, used to be one of my favorite cult movies to watch but that ended in 2015.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#19 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:35 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think they thought twice about it after Perkins basically laid out Crowder in that Game 4 against the Celtics. In fact, every time Olynyk was set to enter the game Perkins went over to the scorers table and Stevens decided against putting him in. Blatt essentially ejected Olynyk from that game.

Wait, i thought JR is who popped Crowder?

Edit: ah i looked it up, i forgot Perk put it on him first.

Man, i miss those teams, so much talent and so much toughness.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers