And1: 860

Game 76: Cavs @ Jazz 4/2/2024 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:09 am

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Re: Game 76: Cavs @ Jazz 4/2/2024 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:56 am

No Wade, TJ, Mitchell, CPJ, or Okoro tonight.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#3 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:33 am

Seems Morris has taken TT's minutes. Woulda been nice to figure this out before April so we coulda had 1 more roster spot to mess with, oh well.

Glad to see Garland recognize everyone else had it going and take a step back.

Right back at it tomorrow night.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:54 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Seems Morris has taken TT's minutes. Woulda been nice to figure this out before April so we coulda had 1 more roster spot to mess with, oh well.

Garland had 8 assists in 31 minutes. I wouldn't say he took a step back as he kept feeding Allen and Mobley out of the PNR as the Jazz had no answer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#5 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:26 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Seems Morris has taken TT's minutes. Woulda been nice to figure this out before April so we coulda had 1 more roster spot to mess with, oh well.

Garland had 8 assists in 31 minutes. I wouldn't say he took a step back as he kept feeding Allen and Mobley out of the PNR as the Jazz had no answer.
I just mean only taking 6 FGA was wise by him.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#6 » by toooskies » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:29 pm

Morris is more accurately taking Wade's minutes. TT never had a spot in the rotation without an injury to Allen/Mobley. He's a break-glass player when you need one more bruiser in certain matchups but that's pretty rare.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#7 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:25 pm

It was great to see our 2 bigs dominating the Jazz, it really opens things up for our offense. Better teams have figured out how to bog us down in the paint, though, and someone on the team needs to figure out how to deal with it.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#8 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:39 pm

toooskies wrote:

Morris is more accurately taking Wade's minutes. TT never had a spot in the rotation without an injury to Allen/Mobley. He's a break-glass player when you need one more bruiser in certain matchups but that's pretty rare.
You think so? TT was seeing some pretty consistent minutes for a spell. I can't imagine we waited out his 25 game suspension just for him to ride pine.

Having the starting 4 be the back-up 5 is a very problematic startgey, as the past 2 post seasons have exhibited.

Similarly, having the starting 2 be the back-up 1 is a very problematic strategy, as the playoffs last season exhibited.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#9 » by toooskies » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:

You think so? TT was seeing some pretty consistent minutes for a spell. I can't imagine we waited out his 25 game suspension just for him to ride pine.

Having the starting 4 be the back-up 5 is a very problematic startgey, as the past 2 post seasons have exhibited.

Similarly, having the starting 2 be the back-up 1 is a very problematic strategy, as the playoffs last season exhibited.

He got minutes when Evan was still out with the ankle, and in garbage time, and one five minute stint when Evan got in foul trouble in the first half.

Our problem with having the starting 4 being the backup 5 was mostly a problem because there was absolutely no depth at the 4 or the 5. Two years ago it was Love and nobody else. Last year it was nobody else by the time we got to the Knicks series. This year it's Niang and possibly Wade (if he ever comes back) and TT and Morris, with TT and Morris being better than anyone we played last year besides Evan and Jarrett at the 4 or 5.

The starting 2 being the backup 1 is similarly fine if you have depth at the guard spots. But our third ballhandler was pressed into service as a starter with no reliable bench options. This year I don't have a lot of trust with Garland (although I'm fine with him going into next year, he's just had a lost season this year) but LeVert should be able to be the backup playmaker to Garland/Mitchell while Strus, Okoro, and Merrill should have enough trust to play in the postseason as soon as they get fully ramped up. CPJ as a break-glass option is probably better depth-wise than what we got out of Rubio last year.

The depth issues of last year should be gone as long as we can get healthy and in-sync down the stretch here, but Mitchell and Wade are big question marks while Garland hasn't been in-sync all year.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#10 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:58 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Morris is more accurately taking Wade's minutes. TT never had a spot in the rotation without an injury to Allen/Mobley. He's a break-glass player when you need one more bruiser in certain matchups but that's pretty rare.

He got minutes when Evan was still out with the ankle, and in garbage time, and one five minute stint when Evan got in foul trouble in the first half.

Our problem with having the starting 4 being the backup 5 was mostly a problem because there was absolutely no depth at the 4 or the 5. Two years ago it was Love and nobody else. Last year it was nobody else by the time we got to the Knicks series. This year it's Niang and possibly Wade (if he ever comes back) and TT and Morris, with TT and Morris being better than anyone we played last year besides Evan and Jarrett at the 4 or 5.

The starting 2 being the backup 1 is similarly fine if you have depth at the guard spots. But our third ballhandler was pressed into service as a starter with no reliable bench options. This year I don't have a lot of trust with Garland (although I'm fine with him going into next year, he's just had a lost season this year) but LeVert should be able to be the backup playmaker to Garland/Mitchell while Strus, Okoro, and Merrill should have enough trust to play in the postseason as soon as they get fully ramped up. CPJ as a break-glass option is probably better depth-wise than what we got out of Rubio last year.

The depth issues of last year should be gone as long as we can get healthy and in-sync down the stretch here, but Mitchell and Wade are big question marks while Garland hasn't been in-sync all year.

The Cavs have exactly 6 games to get in-sync before the post season begins. That is not a whole lot of time.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:44 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:You think so? TT was seeing some pretty consistent minutes for a spell. I can't imagine we waited out his 25 game suspension just for him to ride pine.

The Cavs have exactly 6 games to get in-sync before the post season begins. That is not a whole lot of time.

If we had more time, it would just mean more guys would get hurt.

We're going to need some breaks with the matchups and/or the relative healthy of our opponents if we're going to go anywhere in the post-season.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#12 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:He got minutes when Evan was still out with the ankle, and in garbage time, and one five minute stint when Evan got in foul trouble in the first half.

If we had more time, it would just mean more guys would get hurt.

We're going to need some breaks with the matchups and/or the relative healthy of our opponents if we're going to go anywhere in the post-season.
Standings are tight, so tough to even guess who the 1st round opponent will be. No real easy outs.

I just don't want the Knicks or Heat, I'll take my chances with the Magic or Pacers.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers