ImageImage

2015 Trade Deadline Thread - Ramirez to Pirates

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Re: 2015 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#161 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 27, 2015 1:28 am

Yeah the farm system seems poor in pitching. Not a huge surprise considering how bad their 1st round pitcher picks were for a few years: Bradley, Jungmann, Arnett, Covey. Couldn't do anything about the Covey pick, with the health issue, but the other three were really bad. You'd hope 2 out of the 3 would be in the majors now, at worst 1 of the 3. If two had panned out pretty well--not even spectacularly--our rotation would look young and if not dominant at least strong: Peralta, Nelson, and two of those guys. Add an ace somehow and it's not far off the Greinke-led rotation all over again.

I know Ted Thompson has said something like Free agency is what you use to correct mistakes you make drafting (read: Woodson 2 years after the Ahmad Carroll-Joey Thomas draft, Peppers 2 years after Perry). Hard in the NFL to correct draft mistakes, almost impossible to do in the MLB when you're a small-market team.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#162 » by El Duderino » Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 am

It's not just the first round though. Plenty of quality pitchers in the majors, be it a starter or reliever have been drafted after the first round. Yet over a long period of time, this Brewers organization has been such an abysmal failure when it comes to drafting and then developing pitching overall. It's been so bad, it really does seem to defy statistical odds to have drafted so many pitchers and have so few of them amount to anything in the majors, of those who actually made it that far.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Post#163 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Good point. Why is the franchise so bad with pitchers?
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#164 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:27 pm

The Mets could use all of our expiring contracts. I won't pretend to know what kind of prospects they have that they would be willing to give up, but with Wright and so many of their pitchers hurt, I would think they would love to add Ramirez, Parra, Broxton, K-Rod, and Lohse, assuming Lohse and Broxton start to pitch a little better which I think they will.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#165 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu May 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Yeah the problem if the value of our guys are ****. Garza/Lohse aren't throwing well. Aramis isn' t going to fetch much. Lucroy is hurt. Broxton has been terrible. I don' think anybody takes Braun's contract.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#166 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:I don' think anybody takes Braun's contract.

Teams would line up if it was just his contract. A 31-year-old that looks like he's back to .900+ OPS form (even for .850) would not have a problem signing a 5/$100 contract...which is what he has.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#167 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri May 29, 2015 1:44 am

Interesting that the Brewers have removed Henderson and now Wooten from the 40. Hope they're opening room for incoming prospects.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 

Post#168 » by wichmae » Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 am

NeedsMoreCheese wrote:Interesting that the Brewers have removed Henderson and now Wooten from the 40. Hope they're opening room for incoming prospects.

Actually that would mean the opposite. Usually clearing 40 room means acquiring vets. Unless youre insinuating promoting our own prospects.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#169 » by wichmae » Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 am

and I just saw Tyler Wagner had his contract purchased.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#170 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri May 29, 2015 3:39 am

wichmae wrote:
NeedsMoreCheese wrote:Interesting that the Brewers have removed Henderson and now Wooten from the 40. Hope they're opening room for incoming prospects.

Actually that would mean the opposite. Usually clearing 40 room means acquiring vets. Unless youre insinuating promoting our own prospects.

I meant prospects that are closer to being ready and would need to be on the 40 as opposed to low level prospects who wouldn't. But that's just wishful thinking. Because I'm guessing those type of prospects aren't available for what we're currently selling.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#171 » by wichmae » Fri May 29, 2015 3:47 am

Yeah. I think we're probably looking at lower level prospects. Unless the Angels really start playing well. I could see them as Braun suitors. Obviously if we decide to move Gomez, Lind, or Segura the story chages.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2015 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#172 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 29, 2015 4:42 am

Who do you see the Angels trading at the higher levels? I have a small amount of knowledge on their system and it doesn't seem like they have any high-level guys closer or just in the majors. I am really just asking your opinion here, though.

But yeah, in general, I'd be looking at low-level minors guys.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#173 » by trwi7 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:58 am

It would obviously have to be Heaney or Tropeano.

Count me in as thinking nobody is going to take Braun without the Brewers picking up at least some salary. Not to mention Braun being able to block a deal to any team except the Dodgers, Angels, Marlins, Rays and Nats.

Now I'm sure you could probably get Braun to waive to other teams, especially if we go full rebuild and he doesn't want to stick around for that though that may require his mutual option being picked up which would likely involve more money being added.

Point is you can't really market him if you're trading for him. He's going to cost $95 million over the next 5 years. He's probably going to be fine for a few of those years but who knows when he's 36 and making $16 million. A lot of teams don't want to spend money on a player that old making that much. Not to mention there's always the risk that the thumb injury may come back. Teams aren't going to want to risk getting the player that Braun was last year for multiple years.

So would I trade Braun? Obviously yes, I would trade any player on this team if I got the right return. A number of factors however make that a very difficult proposition. Will a team give us the right amount of quality prospects? How much of his contract will that team be willing to take? Would the Brewers be willing to eat part of the contract to help out? Will teams be apprehensive about the PEDs and the thumb injury? Will Braun waive his no trade clause if a deal is worked out with a team that is on his no trade list? If he will waive it will he want his mutual option picked up as compensation for agreeing to the trade? Will the team be willing to assume the $15 million mutual option or will they want the Brewers to add more money?

Just too many barriers to cross to think a Braun trade will happen any time soon imo.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2015 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#174 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Oh yeah...forgot about Heaney.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#175 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:50 pm

People involved in these decision are extremely competitive and when they have their sights set on a title, they pull out all the stops. I have little doubt that someone would be willing to give up valuable prospects for Braun and would consider his salary a mild deterrent. Look at the last contracts Pujols and A-Rod got, which were more lucrative and went far longer than what's left on Braun's contract. I think they were older than Braun is now, too, but I'm too lazy to look it up. The PED stigma is real, but I think most reasonable people see his PED use as not something that was necessary for him to play well but rather to recover from injuries. They're only going to care about the bottom line and Braun can do an awful lot to help a team win the next few years.

Nobody is giving up much for Lohse, Broxton, Ramirez, Parra, or K-Rod by themselves. But send the right combination of those guys to a contender and pay their salaries (why not, if you're really rebuilding?), and I think you could get a very worthwhile return.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Flap Jackson
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#176 » by Flap Jackson » Sat May 30, 2015 5:21 pm

I think a lot of teams out there don't care too much about the PEDs or Braun's age.

Fellow Biogenesis fraternity member Nelson Cruz landed a $14 million dollar a year contract at the age of 34. The only concern teams would really have is the thumb.

I'm not sure I want to trade him. Despite my apathy due to the PED scandal whenever I look at his overall career, I still find myself following his stat line and paying attention to the game more when he is due up that inning. Its also a little difficult watching former Brewers starting in the world series (a big chunk of KCs lineup), Grienke leading the league in ERA, Fielder leading the league in BA and RBIs, and Nelson Cruz in the top 3 in the triple crown categories. I guess I just don't want to add another to that list.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#177 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jun 3, 2015 4:19 pm

trwi7 wrote:It would obviously have to be Heaney or Tropeano.

Count me in as thinking nobody is going to take Braun without the Brewers picking up at least some salary. Not to mention Braun being able to block a deal to any team except the Dodgers, Angels, Marlins, Rays and Nats.

Now I'm sure you could probably get Braun to waive to other teams, especially if we go full rebuild and he doesn't want to stick around for that though that may require his mutual option being picked up which would likely involve more money being added.

Point is you can't really market him if you're trading for him. He's going to cost $95 million over the next 5 years. He's probably going to be fine for a few of those years but who knows when he's 36 and making $16 million. A lot of teams don't want to spend money on a player that old making that much. Not to mention there's always the risk that the thumb injury may come back. Teams aren't going to want to risk getting the player that Braun was last year for multiple years.

So would I trade Braun? Obviously yes, I would trade any player on this team if I got the right return. A number of factors however make that a very difficult proposition. Will a team give us the right amount of quality prospects? How much of his contract will that team be willing to take? Would the Brewers be willing to eat part of the contract to help out? Will teams be apprehensive about the PEDs and the thumb injury? Will Braun waive his no trade clause if a deal is worked out with a team that is on his no trade list? If he will waive it will he want his mutual option picked up as compensation for agreeing to the trade? Will the team be willing to assume the $15 million mutual option or will they want the Brewers to add more money?

Just too many barriers to cross to think a Braun trade will happen any time soon imo.

Agree with this. And look, the thumb issue is back.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#178 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jun 3, 2015 4:27 pm

Curious what our plan is with Segura. It is becomng clear Arcia is the SS of the future. Do we consider a position change? Or more likely deal him? I assume Sardinas may factor in too.
NerdsterBuck
Junior
And1: 8

Post#179 » by NerdsterBuck » Wed Jun 3, 2015 9:41 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Curious what our plan is with Segura. It is becomng clear Arcia is the SS of the future. Do we consider a position change? Or more likely deal him? I assume Sardinas may factor in too.

I think you have to move the others to either second or third base, and leave the best defensive player at SS.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,047

Post#180 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:35 pm

I have doubts that either Segura or Sardinas will hit well enough to play 2B.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers