ImageImage

Brewer Game Thread: July 2016

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Re: Brewer Game Thread: July 2016 

Post#161 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:36 am

Well, if i wasnt nervous about Lucroy catching I am now after that injury to Cervelli.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#162 » by trwi7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Well, if i wasnt nervous about Lucroy catching I am now after that injury to Cervelli.

It's seriously the dumbest thing this team has done in a while. I honestly can't believe Stearns didn't tell Counsell to if not take him out of the lineup, at least put him at 1B.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#163 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:48 am

That move by Counsell just made my pregnant wife ball her eyes out
#FreeChuckDiesel
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#164 » by blazza18 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:48 am

That was a pretty cool moment there
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#165 » by DH34Phan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:48 am

I love Guerra almost as much as RS loves Mike Fiers. Almost.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#166 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 am

Too bad Guerra couldn't finish that off, would have been the feel good moment of the season.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#167 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 am

Didn't work out, but yea, that was **** awesome by CC.

And no one will ever love anyone as much as I loved Fiers.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#168 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:57 am

Craig Counsell is a good dude. He's perfect for a rebuilding team.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#169 » by Sky Bucks » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:04 am

What happened with CC and Guerra?
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#170 » by BUCKnation » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:04 am

Can I get a summary of what happened? Not able to watch.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#171 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:06 am

Guerra seems like that guy a team will trade for and he'll crash back to reality. Kinda like Parra last year where he tore it up & was just average after Baltimore acquired him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:11 am

One on in the 9th, CC goes out and JG is holding up the ball, looking upset like he's expecting to be taken out. CC and the team pump his tires, JG starts smiling and nodding, JG goes back to work. Favorite moment of the season.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#173 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:13 am

CC giving him the ball back was the coolest
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:18 am

Thunder Muscle wrote:Guerra seems like that guy a team will trade for and he'll crash back to reality. Kinda like Parra last year where he tore it up & was just average after Baltimore acquired him.

I don't think he's sub-3.0 ERA good or anything, but when you can pump 95+ into the 9th there's stuff to work with. He should be a good rotation guy until his arm inevitably breaks down in a year or so.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach

Post#175 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:35 am

Read on Twitter
#FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#176 » by El Duderino » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:41 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:Guerra seems like that guy a team will trade for and he'll crash back to reality. Kinda like Parra last year where he tore it up & was just average after Baltimore acquired him.

I don't think he's sub-3.0 ERA good or anything, but when you can pump 95+ into the 9th there's stuff to work with. He should be a good rotation guy until his arm inevitably breaks down in a year or so.

Why should his arm inevitably break down in a year or two?

Yea, he's 31, but for example, Jimmy Nelson is 27 and yet has thrown almost 150 more overall innings than Guerra between minors, majors, independent leagues, Latin leagues etc. Guerra has thrown 811 and Nelson 950. Greinke is only a year older than Guerra, yet he's thrown 2200 innings in just the majors alone, nearly three times as many.

Guerra is a pitcher, so like any pitcher, the potential is there at any point for his arm to go on him, but for a starting pitcher his age, he has about as few miles on that arm as possible.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:23 am

El Duderino wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea, he's 31, but for example, Jimmy Nelson is 27 and yet has thrown almost 150 more overall innings than Guerra between minors, majors, independent leagues, Latin leagues etc. Guerra has thrown 811 and Nelson 950. Greinke is only a year older than Guerra, yet he's thrown 2200 innings in just the majors alone, nearly three times as many.

Guerra is a pitcher, so like any pitcher, the potential is there at any point for his arm to go on him, but for a starting pitcher his age, he has about as few miles on that arm as possible.

Because he was throwing 95+ in the 9th at max effort. He's going to break down.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#178 » by El Duderino » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:08 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

He was barely over 100 pitches in the 9th inning on breezy 70 degree night and was so efficient all game that he avoided those stressful high 20's/30 plus pitch type innings which often happen to pitchers who are struggling. I'd bet that the vast majority of starting pitchers would feel stronger going a very efficient nine innings vs being near 100 pitches or more in those 5-6 inning struggles where a starter largely labors all game long and thus has multiple high pitch count innings. Gallardo was famous for those and Nelson also does it plenty.

Plus, i've seen countless starting pitchers over the years who were throwing the same velocity late in a game at over 100 pitches, as they were throwing early in the game. That's a completely bogus argument to try using given its been happening forever.

The only thing which would give me some concern about his arm is that he throws a true split-finger pitch and that has been tough on some pitchers. That said, plenty of pitchers with said great mechanics end up needing TJ, sometimes twice, or hurt their shoulder, etc. Unless a pitcher has obvious bad mechanics which Guerra doesn't, it's nearly impossible to know when and often why one pitcher ends up having tons of innings in his arm while another throwing mainly the same pitches can't stay healthy.

Right now though, Guerra has fewer total innings on his arm than tons of starters quite a bit younger than him and far fewer innings than most his age.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:11 am

El Duderino wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

He was barely over 100 pitches in the 9th inning on breezy 70 degree night and was so efficient all game that he avoided those stressful high 20's/30 plus pitch type innings which often happen to pitchers who are struggling. I'd bet that the vast majority of starting pitchers would feel stronger going a very efficient nine innings vs being near 100 pitches or more in those 5-6 inning struggles where a starter largely labors all game long and thus has multiple high pitch count innings. Gallardo was famous for those and Nelson also does it plenty.

Plus, i've seen countless starting pitchers over the years who were throwing the same velocity late in a game at over 100 pitches, as they were throwing early in the game. That's a completely bogus argument to try using given its been happening forever.

The only thing which would give me some concern about his arm is that he throws a true split-finger pitch and that has been tough on some pitchers. That said, plenty of pitchers with said great mechanics end up needing TJ, sometimes twice, or hurt their shoulder, etc. Unless a pitcher has obvious bad mechanics which Guerra doesn't, it's nearly impossible to know when and often why one pitcher ends up having tons of innings in his arm while another throwing mainly the same pitches can't stay healthy.

Right now though, Guerra has fewer total innings on his arm than tons of starters quite a bit younger than him and far fewer innings than most his age.

Okay, you've put way more thought into it than I have. Which, cool! But he throws really hard and he's 31. He's going to break down, in my opinion.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#180 » by El Duderino » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:41 am

So basically you are just guessing that he will break down because he typically throws 93-95, which is far from really uncommon and that he's 31, even though he has inning totals on that arm more like a guy in his mid-20?

Clearly it could happen given he's a pitcher, so i'd never bet much against it. I just don't know why he should be a much more likely candidate to do so than any other random starter in at around 1000 innings, besides the that he throws a split finger pitch

For as amazing as the analytics movement has been in baseball, the one biggest thing i think most teams and GM's would love to get a much better read on is why certain pitchers seem to have a socalled rubber arm and others with thought to have very good mechanics can't stay healthy. Given the incredible value to teams on the field and financially, having the so often unpredictable health of these guys relying on thin ligaments in the elbow/shoulder is terrifying for teams.

FWIW, i like many other Brewer fans would love to flip Guerra for a really nice prospect. I'd also love to know what kind offers Stearns gets for him because i have no clue.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers