ImageImage

2020 Brewers News/Trades/Transactions Thread: Phelps to Phillies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Re: 2020 Brewers News/Trades/Transactions Thread 

Post#101 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:10 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Hauser might be really good this season.

Yep. I was/am skeptical of him but he looked great. Weird to think this might be the best overall pitching staff we have had, since.....forever ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#102 » by leroyjw10 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:06 pm

M-C-G wrote:

Yep. I was/am skeptical of him but he looked great. Weird to think this might be the best overall pitching staff we have had, since.....forever ?

Agreed, the staff could be really good. Maybe overly optimistic, but Woody, Hauser and Burnes could all have sub-3 ERAs. Eight potential starters overall with those not in the rotation capable of giving strong 2-3-inning outings regularly. Throw in Hader and a hopefully healthy Knebel at the back end and we're solid.

Outside of Yeli and Keston, though, that offense has a lot of potential holes. A lot of things would need to break right.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,289

Post#103 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:10 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Agreed, the staff could be really good. Maybe overly optimistic, but Woody, Hauser and Burnes could all have sub-3 ERAs. Eight potential starters overall with those not in the rotation capable of giving strong 2-3-inning outings regularly. Throw in Hader and a hopefully healthy Knebel at the back end and we're solid.

Outside of Yeli and Keston, though, that offense has a lot of potential holes. A lot of things would need to break right.

In the same season? I don't even think Mulder, Hudson, and Zito did that. But I'd be thrilled if all three could come in around that 3.5 mark.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#104 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:00 am

Bench coach Pat Murphy had a heart attack but is at the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Read on Twitter
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,603

Post#106 » by tski1972 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Is St. Louis even going to be eligible for the playoffs? If not, its basically three teams going for two spots in the division. One hot streak is all it’s going to take to get to the post season.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Remember when the Brewers were uniquely positioned to take advantage of the DH? Entering Monday they're hitting .154/.214/.333.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,301

Post#108 » by humanrefutation » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Remember when the Brewers were uniquely positioned to take advantage of the DH? Entering Monday they're hitting .154/.214/.333.

Would have been clutch if we still had Aguilar and Moose and Shaw all earning some playing time.

I wonder if they'd consider just playing Huira as a DH and going with the defense+ options in the infield?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:43 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Remember when the Brewers were uniquely positioned to take advantage of the DH? Entering Monday they're hitting .154/.214/.333.

Would have been clutch if we still had Aguilar and Moose and Shaw all earning some playing time.

I wonder if they'd consider just playing Huira as a DH and going with the defense+ options in the infield?

That seems like the way to go.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

2020 Brewers News/Trades/Transactions Thread 

Post#110 » by M-C-G » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:27 am

Yeah, no Braun, Keston slump and Smoak and Logan sucking like they were did us no favors. Hopefully we are past that now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#111 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Smoak and Shaw are essentially the same player, Smoak just being a few years older and not having 3B ability. He hits much better as a lefty, but the fact that he's a switch hitter and strikes out a bit less makes him a bit less streaky/questionable in situations where you need contact as Shaw.

I think Gyorko/Smoak will be fine as some sort of platoon playing different positions at times...it appears we have bad Sogard again, which was a very real possibility. The ball is still juiced and that's where Sogard's skillset seemed to excel, but right now he sucks.

Go figure, Brad Miller hit 2 HR yesterday (from the Aguilar trade last year, now playing on St. Louis' fill-in squad).

In summary, in our giant switch/trade of infield/DH platoon guys, Sogard is the only one that sucks right now. Had we known the DH was coming in the following season, maybe we'd have clutched on to Aguilar a little harder last year through his struggles.

Moustakas may miss close to the rest of the short regular season. Who knows if the same injury happens here, but he may provide next-to-nothing for the Reds this year.

Also completely dumb luck in a short, nearly halfway done season...I'm excited for Narvaez's bat eventually, a **** slump...and I'd love to have Yasmani back...but Pina/Narvaez, even as **** as Narvaez has been has basically equated to Yasmani's bat so far this season.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Read on Twitter

By Brock.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,113

Re: 2020 Brewers News/Trades/Transactions Thread: Holt DFA'd 

Post#113 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Grisham lighting it up
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#114 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:54 pm

Reading this article, I think I'm on board with trading Hader. The dude is awesome and still has a bunch of control left, so they could get a great haul. They have such a weak minor league system and there's no hope in sight to fill those glaring holes at the corners.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-trade-deadline-predictions-2020
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,794

Post#115 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Should have done it last year. Should do it this year. Won't do it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:01 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Should have done it last year. Should do it this year. Won't do it.

Yup.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Rosenthal:

Brewers listening on Hader
The Brewers, like most teams, are willing to talk about any player at any time, so it’s no surprise they again are listening on left-handed closer Josh Hader, just as they did at the Winter Meetings. No trade is likely, however. One rival executive says Hader is available, but only at a “bananas price.”

Hader, 26, eventually might command a salary beyond the Brewers’ comfort level, which is why it makes sense for the team to continue to gauge the market. His full salary this season would have been $4.1 million, and he is eligible for increases through arbitration three more times. His performance, meanwhile, remains elite.

In 8 1/3 innings this season, Hader has yet to allow a hit while striking out 13 and walking five. He is doing it differently than before, too, dropping his fastball usage from 84.3 percent in 2019 to 65.9 percent in ’20 while increasing his slider usage from 15.4 percent to 34.1 percent, according to Fangraphs. The evolution of his repertoire stems from his work both in spring training and summer training camp, when he worked on his slider relentlessly.

The Brewers, just 1 1/2 games out of a playoff spot despite their 12-15 record, are not likely to trade significant pieces unless they collapse over the next several days. If they choose to move a reliever, the more likely candidates would be righty David Phelps, on whom they hold a $4.5 million club option for 2020, or lefty Alex Claudio, who was set to earn a full salary of $1.75 million this season and has a year of arbitration remaining.

At least they're commanding a huge return.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,186

Post#118 » by raysbookclub » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:43 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Grisham lighting it up

I understand why it made sense to give him a fresh start and trade him after the error in the Wild Card, the error he handled in the media so well. But it's really too bad. He looked and looks like he could be a very good player for a long time.

That might be the costliest part of that Wild Card game, more than the loss itself. Most of us could take the loss, especially with Yelich out and us not expecting to be able to win it all. But if the game didn't end on that error, most likely Grisham is a Brewer for many years.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#119 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:52 pm

I don't think Grisham was traded simply due to the Wild Card gaffe.

It was somewhat of a gamble on the arrow/results from both Grisham and Urias.

Urias:
-Stud prospect with some concerns (will he develop power? Size, etc.)
-Destroyed AAA ball but it was the PCL (hitter's paradise) with the ultra-juiced ball.
-Came up to the majors and was TERRIBLE until a nice stretch at the end.

Grisham:
-OK prospect that began to rise to promise but still not expected to be elite.
-Dominated early for the Brewers, began to fade as the strikeouts racked up/BABIP went down.

So the Brewers gambled that they were trading the OK prospect that had overachieved early to get the elite prospect with concerns that had underachieved early.

If Grisham's ISO (basically the stat that says how many fly balls turn into HRs) returns back closer to normal, he may be back to what he was expected to be. A high strikeout, yet solid walk drawer guy that hits .250/.350/.450. That's a good player but guys like that are a dime-a-dozen at corner OF spots.

The OBP is the key quality if he can keep that around .350, though.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#120 » by neiLz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Trade everyone. This team sucks. Counsel can't work the BP magic when they can't even score a run. Their offensive talent is absolute trash. Hader should be gone. The haul alone should get some really good talent back. THe expanded playoffs should leave a bunch of buyers for the brewers and it should be a seller's market.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers