ImageImage

Brewers 2024 Discussion - Woodruff Back on 2 Year Deal

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Brewers 2023 Discussion 

Post#41 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 6, 2022 5:59 pm

I find the quote somewhat strange if he's trying to fall on the sword and imply team-wide "morale" issues given everyone played better after the trade except for the guys he thought he could sneak in to replace Hader (Bush, Rogers, Williams in the 9th).
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,030

Post#42 » by BUCKnation » Fri Oct 7, 2022 5:27 pm

I think injuries were probably the biggest factor for that stat difference that RS posted. They were running out some randos throughout a bunch of the middle of the season. Burnes was less dominant too.

The bullpen needs to be overhauled obviously. Stearns has rarely missed in the past assembling these, but he took a gamble and lost like he was overly leveraged. They threw away what seemed like half the games in the last 2 months after being a calling card and something to lean on in the recent years.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#43 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 5:52 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I think injuries were probably the biggest factor for that stat difference that RS posted. They were running out some randos throughout a bunch of the middle of the season. Burnes was less dominant too.

The bullpen needs to be overhauled obviously. Stearns has rarely missed in the past assembling these, but he took a gamble and lost like he was overly leveraged. They threw away what seemed like half the games in the last 2 months after being a calling card and something to lean on in the recent years.

I have no numbers to back this, but I also thought Counsell pulled the trigger on great starts too early several times this year. He didn't have a good year IMO. Between pulling starters too early, love affair with Cutch over Hiura against RHP, among other things.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,128

Post#44 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 7, 2022 6:23 pm

I remember a manager a few years ago saying it was harder to manage a pitching staff in the AL with the DH than the NL without one. In the NL many of the moves were automatic because you need a PH. Down a run in the 7th with a runner on second and 2 out? Double switch regardless of how the pitcher is performing.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#45 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 7, 2022 8:22 pm

The reason I always liked Counsell is I'm analytics guy/Stearns fan and Counsell is one of the many managers that did the biddings for him.

The Hiura thing to some degree and the pulling pitchers is one thing that is analytics, but I understand the "feel" of it.

I made a lengthy post about Hiura on some game thread about his benchings noting that his K% would suggest that massive regression is coming and that's why they're so hesitant to play him. He was very bad in September, shortly after that discussion.

Same thing with pitchers, it's the "third time through the order" thing. Maybe you have to stick with the guys if they're dealing, but that's the reasoning.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,130

Post#46 » by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#47 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's about the only quote from this presser that I will take somewhat seriously.

He's just going to fall on the sword about everything else, right or wrong, about the other moves.

But if he's telling me ownership is pushing him (and he also may want to) stick with the win now group, I do kind of trust that part.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#48 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:41 pm

If Stearns doesn't sign an extension they better let him go now, whether they can get something from the Mets to have him leave a year early or just cutting bait, you can't have a lame duck GM. That would be really dumb. I know they have a GM but Stearns still calls the shots. I also know that his past extensions haven't been publicly announced, word leaked out eventually.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#49 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's about the only quote from this presser that I will take somewhat seriously.

He's just going to fall on the sword about everything else, right or wrong, about the other moves.

But if he's telling me ownership is pushing him (and he also may want to) stick with the win now group, I do kind of trust that part.
Yeah I suspect they will actually try to run it back and win.

But... If you really wanted to trade Burnes and some others you would still say this because just keeping them is leverage in a trade discussion.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:58 pm

We only have 4 guys under contract for next season (Yelich, Boxberger, Peralta and Ashby). Obviously most of the arby and pre-arby guys will be back. I'm really curious to see what payroll is at the start of the season given the attendance drop. We had second lowest non covid attendance in the past 15 years (only year lower was 2016 when the team went 73-89). Hell the 2015 Brewers went 68-94 and outdrew the 2022 Brewers. This team really needs to at least get to a World Series. Bobbleheads, X-Golf, celebrating losing the WS in '82 isn't going to get it done.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#51 » by M-C-G » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:47 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:We only have 4 guys under contract for next season (Yelich, Boxberger, Peralta and Ashby). Obviously most of the arby and pre-arby guys will be back. I'm really curious to see what payroll is at the start of the season given the attendance drop. We had second lowest non covid attendance in the past 15 years (only year lower was 2016 when the team went 73-89). Hell the 2015 Brewers went 68-94 and outdrew the 2022 Brewers. This team really needs to at least get to a World Series. Bobbleheads, X-Golf, celebrating losing the WS in '82 isn't going to get it done.

I have to believe a real factor in attendance is they are losing the casual fans attention by it being hard to see games on TV

The longer this happens the more interest on the margins will keep drying up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#52 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:22 am

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:We only have 4 guys under contract for next season (Yelich, Boxberger, Peralta and Ashby). Obviously most of the arby and pre-arby guys will be back. I'm really curious to see what payroll is at the start of the season given the attendance drop. We had second lowest non covid attendance in the past 15 years (only year lower was 2016 when the team went 73-89). Hell the 2015 Brewers went 68-94 and outdrew the 2022 Brewers. This team really needs to at least get to a World Series. Bobbleheads, X-Golf, celebrating losing the WS in '82 isn't going to get it done.

I have to believe a real factor in attendance is they are losing the casual fans attention by it being hard to see games on TV

I'm not sure I follow. They've had the same TV deal for many years. The name changed from Fox Sports to Bally's but it's the same owner/station. I guess as people "cut the cord" it would be nice to have Bally's on YouTube TV and other streamers. That's probably what you're referring to and I agree. And their new app sucks from what I hear.
M-C-G
RealGM

Brewers 2023 Discussion 

Post#53 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:37 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I'm not sure I follow. They've had the same TV deal for many years. The name changed from Fox Sports to Bally's but it's the same owner/station. I guess as people "cut the cord" it would be nice to have Bally's on YouTube TV and other streamers. That's probably what you're referring to and I agree. And their new app sucks from what I hear.

I’ve had YouTube for years and no Ballys. And casual fans that they are losing aren’t going to buy a stand alone app.

So you have all those people that would just throw on the game probably aren’t watching games, for what I think is two years now. Not watching games probably means not attending games or at least for a lot of people

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:23 am

M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
M-C-G wrote:I have to believe a real factor in attendance is they are losing the casual fans attention by it being hard to see games on TV

I’ve had YouTube for years and no Ballys. And casual fans that they are losing aren’t going to buy a stand alone app.

So you have all those people that would just throw on the game probably aren’t watching games, for what I think is two years now. Not watching games probably means not attending games or at least for a lot of people

Agreed. Supposedly Sinclair is losing their ass and MLB and NBA are looking to buy them out. We'll see if that changes anything.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#55 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:14 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I'm not sure I follow. They've had the same TV deal for many years. The name changed from Fox Sports to Bally's but it's the same owner/station. I guess as people "cut the cord" it would be nice to have Bally's on YouTube TV and other streamers. That's probably what you're referring to and I agree. And their new app sucks from what I hear.

Agreed. Supposedly Sinclair is losing their ass and MLB and NBA are looking to buy them out. We'll see if that changes anything.

So predictable and so bad for the fans too.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:06 am

Read on Twitter
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,030

Post#57 » by BUCKnation » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:40 pm

Eh, idk I'm generally good with the core of the team. I feel like the deficiencies are glaringly obvious and should hopefully be corrected. It's still an 86 win team that was on the cusp of the playoffs despite everything that happened post July.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#58 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:57 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Eh, idk I'm generally good with the core of the team. I feel like the deficiencies are glaringly obvious and should hopefully be corrected. It's still an 86 win team that was on the cusp of the playoffs despite everything that happened post July.

Ehh, I don't know. I think they are missing both an elite bat and OBP guys in general in front of the power guys. The offense right now is basically a bunch of average to slightly above average regulars that primarily hit solo HR or K.

Assuming that Yelich is done as an elite bat (which I think is a lock) they need someone else. At bare minimum they need some .370-.380 OBP guys at the top of the order in front of Adames/Renfroe/Tellez. I have high hopes for Frelick being that guy right away, along with Yelich hopefully at least maintaining a high OBP. Mitchell ended strong as well so he has some hope.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:56 pm

I don't know why Stearns wouldn't want to go there, assuming they still want him. He has to wonder what it would be like to have all kinds of extra payroll cash. I'm sure it's been fun and a challenge to try to stay competitive as a smart market team but it's a whole different world in the big markets. Pressure too of course. Eppler is the GM and I assume Stearns would be POBO, it will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out. We have a GM here too of course but it's Stearns who does all the talking about transactions.

New York Mets owner Steve Cohen isn't planning to cut payroll despite the club setting a new luxury tax high of approximately $298.8 million in 2022.

Billy Eppler told the media that Cohen has already provided a "pretty close" idea of what the 2023 budget will be, with the idea that extra spending will act as a "bridge" to keep the Mets competitive until their farm system develops more depth.

"You want to keep as much of your talent as possible," Eppler said. "That's why Steve has said what he has said, which is: We'll use some financial strength to keep us out of that position so that we can build something long-term."
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#60 » by LittleRooster » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:18 pm

Return to Milwaukee Brewers