ImageImage

Brewers Org / American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,273

Re: American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion 

Post#41 » by dbrodz7 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:11 pm

They just announced we added Northwestern Mutual patches to the jerseys. Sounds similar to the American Family naming rights which I believe is about $4M per year. Guess we can keep Burnes now!
Misery loves company
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,113

Post#42 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:21 pm

There are 4 games on 10/3 and 10/4 and up to 4 games on 10/5. I imagine they will stagger them as much as possible. I'd like to know game times before I buy tickets. Early afternoon game would be tough for me those days. Right now Minnesota (vs. Seattle), Tampa (vs. Texas), Milwaukee (vs. Giants) and Philly (vs. Cubs) would host. That's all not likely to hold but I could see Philly getting the primetime game no matter who they play.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#43 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:There are 4 games on 10/3 and 10/4 and up to 4 games on 10/5. I imagine they will stagger them as much as possible. I'd like to know game times before I buy tickets. Early afternoon game would be tough for me those days. Right now Minnesota (vs. Seattle), Tampa (vs. Texas), Milwaukee (vs. Giants) and Philly (vs. Cubs) would host. That's all not likely to hold but I could see Philly getting the primetime game no matter who they play.

Curious what the demand will be for tickets. Feel like attendance has been a little down compared our playoff runs prior to 2020, well it has been down. I saw the prices and after fees be starting at $90+ if want to be in Loge level or lower, excluding bleachers. Obviously will only go up each round. Terrace Level can probably get in for $60-75 depending on row and section.

Looks like the order is season seat holders on Tuesday, ticket plan holders on Wednesday which I assume is the 10 game & Flex pack buyers, single ticket buyers on Thursday (anybody that bought tickets this season through the Brewers), and then the general public on Friday.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#44 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:53 pm

In 2021 vs. Braves games 1 and 2 were in Milwaukee on a Friday and Saturday. Game 1 didn't sell out. It was at 3:37. Game 2 sold out, game time was 4:07. It helped being a Saturday and the Brewers won game 1.

I'm guessing if it's an afternoon game Tuesday and/or Wednesday it will not sell out unless it's against the Cubs. But game times won't be announced before tix go on sale next week.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,289

Post#45 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:27 pm

Sounds like there's movement on the bill.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#46 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:45 pm

Yup, looks like the framework is there, Brewers/state/county/city, and the bill will drop next week.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#47 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:22 pm

The Rays are expected to make a major announcement Tuesday regarding completion of a deal to build a new stadium in downtown St. Petersburg.

The stadium would be built near the current Tropicana Field site as part of the redevelopment of the 86-acre Historic Gas Plant District and open for the 2028 season.

Based on preliminary information shared in January, the stadium is expected to have a fixed dome roof and artificial turf field, seat around 30,000 and cost in excess of $1.2 billion, with contributions from the team, St. Petersburg and Pinellas County.

Looks like the Rays are getting a new stadium, possibly in 2028.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,024

Post#48 » by BUCKnation » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:38 pm

I havent been paying too much attention so pardon my ignorance, but what are the plans with the $700M. Thats like a new stadium amount of money.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,794

Post#49 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:03 pm

I also have not been able to find anything about the purpose of the upgrades. I presume there's some roof-work needed and probably some general beautification, but I'd be interested to know more.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,044

Post#50 » by Ryan5UW » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:33 pm

Maybe it includes a $200 million renovation to Corbin's locker.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#51 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:29 pm

Water was pouring in all over the place Saturday night

Reports commissioned by the Brewers and another by a state consultant found that the stadium's glass outfield doors, seats and concourses should be replaced, that its luxury suites and technology such as its sound system and video scoreboard need upgrades, and that its signature retractable roof needs repairs. Fire suppression systems, parking lots, elevators and escalators need work, too.

Architecture & Interiors: $105,722,699
Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection: $55,787,457
Structure: $62,530,819
Technology: $99,763,649
Vertical Transportation: $15,988,615
Roofs: $36,999,058
Concessions Infrastructure: $17,027,982
Miscellaneous: $34,502,760

Of American Family Field’s three original chillers – for cold water and office and clubhouse air conditioning – two are working. The third is dead. Brewers President of Business Operations Rick Schlesinger said they're past their expected lifespans, and replacements will cost more than $500,000 each.

"They're obsolete. Replacement parts are not being made, so we have to scrounge for them," said Schlesinger. "You’re one failed motor away from a completely useless system."

Other air conditioning units cool the electrical substation room. The Brewers estimate it’ll cost up to $1 million to replace the originals.

American Family Field circuit breaker

"The average fan is not conscious of any of this and doesn’t see it. But, if the air conditioning fails, electrical systems fail, absolutely the fans will notice it," Schlesinger said. "A lot of the electrical systems for the ballpark will not work."

Then there's the electrical substation with the park’s main circuit breaker. For that, the Brewers estimate a $3 million replacement.

"All the electrical power, the lights, the sport lights, the scoreboards, the emergency lighting, everything that this ballpark generates for power is at the mercy of the circuit breaker," said Schlesinger.

Other units power pumps that move water throughout American Family Field.

"They’re obsolete, so again, there are no replacement parts," Schlesinger said. "Literally, if something were to break down, we’d have to find replacement parts on eBay or a secondary source," Schlesinger said.

Like these other units, the ballpark’s four boilers have also been working since the first pitch in 2001 – heating offices, as well as water for cleaning and concessions. A Brewers-commissioned study says a typical lifespan is roughly 25 years.

"These systems are running up to their useful life," said Schlesinger.

Two boiler burners have already been replaced.

American Family Field television camera infrastructure

Then, there's the television camera infrastructure. The Brewers estimate it’ll cost $4 million to $5 million to replace the broadcast compound and cables.

"This is original to the ballpark. So this is 1990s technology. As you can see, it’s really makeshift, ad hoc connections being done to make sure we can broadcast, because the technology for the trucks is far more advanced that what you’re seeing here," Schlesinger said. "A lot of this is abandoned or obsolete cable runs. All of this needs to be replaced with fiber. This is triax and coax cable. Much of it is antiquated, we need all fiber runs."

It’ll cost about $10 million to replace the freezers and coolers that keep food and drinks cold.

"We’ve got to keep the beer cold," said Schlesinger during the tour.

American Family Field freezer

Around American Family Field, there is cracking concrete. Just one area of sidewalk being repaired right now costs $60,000. Over the course of the next five years, the Brewers estimate the total will cost $4 million to $6 million.

"Not only is it unsightly, but it’s a trip hazard," Schlesinger said. "This is concrete that over the course of 20 years of thawing and freezing with our wonderful Wisconsin weather, the concrete is buckling. It’s an ongoing, annual process for us to repair and replace some of the concrete."

There’s a lot more in the $428 million price tag, like rusted seats and corroding metal under the roof. The governmental body that owns the ballpark already approved spending $6.5 million for a brand new scoreboard for next season –what will become the fourth largest in Major League Baseball. Other estimates include updating suites and creating more social spaces.

The study says: "upper-level group spaces geared toward young adult fans will provide a unique space for socializing while the game becomes background entertainment, rather than their primary reason for being at the ballpark."

Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,044

Post#52 » by Ryan5UW » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 pm

Jesus, sounds like the whole thing is basically being held together with duct tape and zip ties. Did they just go super cheap on building it the first time or not really keep up with maintenance? Seems like a hell of a lot of money just to repair/modernize a 22 year old stadium. Are other stadiums of similar age seeing these same things?
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#53 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:01 am

MickeyDavis wrote:"They’re obsolete, so again, there are no replacement parts," Schlesinger said. "Literally, if something were to break down, we’d have to find replacement parts on eBay or a secondary source," Schlesinger said.
"Not only is it unsightly, but it’s a trip hazard," Schlesinger said. "This is concrete that over the course of 20 years of thawing and freezing with our wonderful Wisconsin weather, the concrete is buckling. It’s an ongoing, annual process for us to repair and replace some of the concrete."

Err, feels like someone on the PR team needed to be accompanying whatever stadium tour that was.

Or they knew exactly what they were doing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:36 am

The county wants some of the parking lot developed as the "beer district" and have the property tax revenue go towards the renovation. Last year they put this out about how the lots sit empty most of the time and developing some of it is a good idea.

The Brewers are saying no because they want to preserve tailgate culture
Read on Twitter
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#55 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:47 am

Ryan5UW wrote:Jesus, sounds like the whole thing is basically being held together with duct tape and zip ties. Did they just go super cheap on building it the first time or not really keep up with maintenance? Seems like a hell of a lot of money just to repair/modernize a 22 year old stadium. Are other stadiums of similar age seeing these same things?

Agreed, makes it seem like its in the same shape as late 1990s County Stadium. Either over exaggerating or they did a poor job keeping up with maintenance. Visually when I go to games I dont really notice mich issues with the seats, concourse, concrete, etc.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:52 am

Yeah it looks just fine. Obviously the stuff they're talking about you don't see for the most part.

Seems like they **** up, everything needs to be done all at once? Where did the maintenance cash go over the years? I don't trust Attanasio ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#57 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:06 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I havent been paying too much attention so pardon my ignorance, but what are the plans with the $700M. Thats like a new stadium amount of money.

You are not wrong. Globe Life in Texas was around 1.2B so talking almost 60% of that. I dont feel we need a new stadium but hopefully these renovations make the functionality like new and it becomes a fan favorite from a fan standpoint. I mean I think overall our fanbase really likes AmFam Field, including myself. Nationally I feel likes it more mixed though. Some have it too 1/3, others have it bottom 1/3. I’ve been to 7 active stadiums and feel ours was better or on par with them all.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#58 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:14 pm

This isn't apples and oranges necessarily, but it's nevertheless a little discouraging when put so plainly.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,127

Post#59 » by Matches Malone » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:24 pm

Mark just has to look down the road and see how the Bucks have built out their arena and surrounding area. With the lack of vision coupled with Mark investing in other teams, it honestly feels like he doesn't give two **** about this organization. :dontknow:
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Mark just has to look down the road and see how the Bucks have built out their arena and surrounding area. With the lack of vision coupled with Mark investing in other teams, it honestly feels like he doesn't give two **** about this organization. :dontknow:

Yeah I'm getting the feeling that Mark figures he's made a boatload of cash on the value of the team and he'll cash in at some point. He's 66 and looking at other toys to play with. I'm not sure exactly how much he actually owns.

The roof is the best thing about AmFam. April/May were brutal at County Stadium. Plus rainy summer nights. Love having the roof.

I get the "tailgate culture". I enjoy it too. But a downtown stadium would have been way cooler. Anytime it was proposed the Brewers shot it down. Of course the advantage to building it where it was is that the land was already there. Didn't have to buy up land, raze buildings, etc....it saved a bunch of time. Opposing a "Beer District" is shortsighted. The lots are empty half the year and less than full on game days. There's room for development and if tailgating is important to you buy your parking pass in advance and you'll have a spot. Lambeau's parking lot is small for an 80,000+ stadium but there are so many places to hang out in the area around Lambeau before the game, it's very cool.

From a fan perspective it seems all we will really get is a new scoreboard. $600 million is a ton of money. I know we aren't Vegas where they just jack up hotel taxes and build stuff.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers