ImageImage

2015 Minors Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2015 Minors Thread 

Post#241 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 am

Arcia, Phillips, and Lopez. Unreal. I reiterate. Lopez is a top 100 prospect and may be as high as 3 in our system. Dominant.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#242 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:45 am

We have some serious talent on the way.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#243 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:04 pm

So I am looking at the stats...Lopez has a 5+ ERA in A/A+ ball and not an incredibly good K/9. Looks like he is starting to heat up in the fall league/AA in limited innings and he is still very young, but are we sure he's that much of a stud just yet?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,041

Post#244 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:So I am looking at the stats...Lopez has a 5+ ERA in A/A+ ball and not an incredibly good K/9. Looks like he is starting to heat up in the fall league/AA in limited innings and he is still very young, but are we sure he's that much of a stud just yet?

I dunno, a full season in AA doesn't seem like limited innings.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#245 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:So I am looking at the stats...Lopez has a 5+ ERA in A/A+ ball and not an incredibly good K/9. Looks like he is starting to heat up in the fall league/AA in limited innings and he is still very young, but are we sure he's that much of a stud just yet?

I dunno, a full season in AA doesn't seem like limited innings.

Something is wrong with baseball-reference as it only has him for 11 innings in AA. Fangraphs has it. Nice.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#246 » by Bernman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Arcia had the power potential with his height. Good to see he's now putting a hurtin' on more baseballs as he's getting stronger. Could be our Carlos Correa. I think we should definitely just run with him at short next year and deal Segura (deal him regardless). It would be nice to have him up for a couple weeks to end of the season so we have a little idea of what we'd be getting.

As an aside, Hader came on in relief and struck out the side. Hader's gonna hade.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#247 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:57 pm

I know you are not directly comparing, but let's not call Arcia our Correa. Correa is a Tulowitzki/A-Rod type of guy that's going to win MVPs and hit 40 HR. Arcia has the budding potential of Lindor...stud defender with good OBP/AVG and probably 20 HR in his prime.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#248 » by wichmae » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Hader can close out the title this afternoon. I think the game starts around 1. With the Pack not playing until tonight I probably will listen. Very excited for these guys in AA.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#249 » by trwi7 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:43 am

Baseball America is currently going through the top 20 prospects in each league. They've only done three leagues so far but the Brewers have teams in two of them.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015-league-top-20-prospects-index/

Arizona League

1. Trent Clark
3. Gilbert Lara
5. Demi Orimoloye

Pioneer League

4. Marcos Diplan
6. Monte Harrison
15. Jake Gatewood

And the chat

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/pioneerarizona-league-top-20-prospects-chat/

And for those who don't want to read the chat. The Brewers related questions.

Harry (Phoenix, AZ): What were your thoughts on Nash Walters during his time in the AZL? Was he picked at the right point in the draft?

Bill Mitchell: Nash Walters was picked by the Brewers in the 3rd round from high school ball in Texas. He’s still very unrefined and may need another year of rookie ball, but there’s a lot to like in the young Texan. The fastball sat 89-93 and he should add more velocity as he fills out and learns how to use all his body to pitch. The Brewers manager remarked that Walters is a hard work who pays attention to the little details.

James (Helena): I watched Helena this summer and saw lhp jake Drossner throw a very nice game. How does he stack up in the Brewers system????

Bill Mitchell: Drossner’s name didn’t come up in any of my Pioneer League discussions, but the Brewers 10th round pick from Maryland had a nice pro debut with Helena. Check back with me in a couple of weeks after I hopefully have a chance to see him in instructional league.

Nathan (Wisconsin): So many Brewers in these two lists! Who's your favorite of them?

Bill Mitchell: You’re right — the Brewers dominated both rookie league lists this year as well as having a significant number of prospects ranked in the AZL last year. I’m a big Monte Harrison fan. He’s just so freakishly athletic that if he continues to develop the baseball skills he’ll be a stud. Hopefully the fractured ankle will heal completely and he won’t lose anything, but even if he does he’ll still be the most athletic guy on most fields. With that said, I am also a big Marcos Diplan fan and look forward to watching his development.

hurtado (everywhere, man.): Demi Orimoloye seemed to all in the draft, did he redeem himself any or is his just rookie ball?

Bill Mitchell: Originally projected as a 1st round talent, Orimoloye fell to the 4th round after a sub-par performance in his last high school year. He certainly opened eyes in the AZL with a very nice debut season and was just one part of a very good 2015 draft by Milwaukee. He needs to make better use of his hands and become more selective at the plate (that 39-3 K-BB rate is a little scary), but he’s got plenty of tools and athleticism.

a guy (a place): Tyrone Perry seemed to play fairly well. Does he have any upside or is he just a minor league 1b?

Bill Mitchell: Perry, taken by the Brewers in the 14th round from his high school in Lakeland, Florida, flashed some of the best raw power in the AZL this summer. With that said, conditioning is the number one priority for Perry. His milb.com page lists his weight as 265, but the recent Brewers instructional league roster has him at a more accurate 300 pounds. Carrying that much weight on a 6-2 frame won’t work long term, so it’s imperative that Perry drop a lot of pounds in order to have a pro career.

Dave (New York City): Hey, Bill. Thanks for taking the time to Chat! Any love/buzz for Brewers' 2015 draftees George Iskenderian and Conor Harber?

Bill Mitchell: No mentions on Iskenderian (7th round pick from Miami) or Harber (16th round pick from Oregon). I saw the latter during his time in juco ball and saw something to like, albeit with a delivery with effort, but that was a couple of years ago. Like I said about Drossner a few questions back, check with me after I get to see the Brewers instructional league team.

Roy (Indiana): Lots of Brewer prospects. Which ones are likely to open at Wisconsin?

Bill Mitchell: Harrison and Gatewood should get another crack at the Midwest League. Diplan will likely get there but maybe will stay behind in extended spring training in order to manage his innings. Of the AZL guys I’d put my money on Clark breaking camp with the Wisconsin team, but Lara and Orimoloye would be better served with at least a partial year at Helena.

Tyler (WI): Of the six brewers between the two lists, how many would you expect to make top 100 prospects lists in the near future?

Bill Mitchell: I’m not involved in the process for determining the top 100 for BA, so I checked in with prospect maven Matt Eddy back at Baseball America world headquarters. He believes that Trent Clark has a good chance at the top 100 and that Gilbert Lara and Marcos Diplan may get some consideration.

Steve (San Francisco): Joantangel Segovia (Brewers) looks like he has the hit tool, but zero power. How does he project?

Bill Mitchell: Segovia got some consideration for the AZL list despite moving up to Helena mid-season and then getting hurt. The kid can flat out hit, makes good contact and does all the little things well. It’s more gap power right now. The factor that kept him off the list is that scouts don’t see a carrying tool, but if he keeps hitting like he has done in his first two seasons then he’s certainly one to watch.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#250 » by raysbookclub » Fri Oct 2, 2015 7:41 pm

Who do people think are going to be in the future Brewers' OF? Here's a guess.

2016, Davis LF, Santana CF, Braun RF.

2017, Santana LF, Taylor CF, Phillips RF, with Braun to 1B.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#251 » by trwi7 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:12 pm

The Midwest League top 20 prospects were released today. Medeiros was the only Brewer at 16 but there was a lot of support for Gatewood. Brewers related chat questions.

Mike (Milwaukee): How close was Cody Ponce to making the top 20? Saw that his fastball was touching 97-98 in fall instructionals with a slight cut action.

J.J. Cooper: Very close. Should move quick. Four pitches he can throw around the zone. That’s more velo than I would expect over a full season but he has impressive stuff.

Todd (Cedar Rapids): I think it's fair to say we'll see both Alex Jackson and Monte Harrison back in the MWL next season. Both struggled mightily in their initial exposure to full season ball. Which player, in your opinion, is most likely to unlock their tools and reach their ceiling?

J.J. Cooper: One would think Jackson but there was really nothing encouraging about his early season stay in Clinton. He was missing very hittable fastballs. Didn’t drive the ball. Didn’t really do much of anything. Harrison is much more of the kind of hitter who was expected to struggle–a two-sport star who is now fully focused on baseball. Jackson was a polished SoCal hitter who has played in a ton of showcases. Both still have very high ceilings but I’m more worried about Jackson’s struggles.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

wichmae
RealGM

Post#252 » by wichmae » Sat Oct 3, 2015 4:19 pm

books wrote:Who do people think are going to be in the future Brewers' OF? Here's a guess.

2016, Davis LF, Santana CF, Braun RF.

2017, Santana LF, Taylor CF, Phillips RF, with Braun to 1B.

I dont think they'll play Domingo in CF going into opening day. I fully expect one of the corner guys to be traded.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#253 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 4:32 pm

Let's hope so. There's not a lot of info out there about Braun's back, is there? I could see him being almost impossible to trade under beneficial terms until the next trade deadline at the earliest.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#254 » by raysbookclub » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:40 am

Out of the OF guys, would like to see Davis traded, even though he has been a clutch hitter at times. His arm is really poor out there, guys too often go for two bases and get them on hits down the LF line.

Whoever is playing CF next year is probably just keeping that spot warm for Taylor or Phillips, right?
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#255 » by Outlander » Mon Oct 5, 2015 1:49 pm

books wrote:Whoever is playing CF next year is probably just keeping that spot warm for Taylor or Phillips, right?

Probably, more Phillips than Taylor. Don't see Taylor ever being a starter with the Brewers now that they have Phillips as even Reed is a better corner outfielder than Taylor. I agree with you that it will be Davis/Santana/Braun in 2016. However, 2017 is up in the air and all depends on who is traded during 2016.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#256 » by trwi7 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:53 pm

Southern League top 20 prospects

3. Orlando Arcia (only behind Sano and Buxton of the Twins, ahead of Schwarber and Snell (Rays LHP wunderkind.)
7. Jorge Lopez (ahead of Jose Berrios (Twins RHP wunderkind.)

Phillips obviously barely played in the Southern League, so he was put in the Texas League prospect list and came in at #8.

Brewers related chat questions

Jim (TX): My absolute two favorite prospects being a Astros fan is A.J. Reed (and was Brett Phillips) very sad he was traded. I see both these two getting the call up next season. Probably A.J. a little quicker as he is older but I understand through rumor that Phillips is going to Japan to represent the U.S. in November (IBAF) which should give him some great experience. Do you see these two getting to the show by middle of next year?

Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Hi Jim. Very possible. I think it’s not out of the question for Reed to contend for the first-base job out of spring training, given his production and the need for some consistency there. I think Phillips, just given the power drop when he got to the Southern League, will need to show he can hit consistently at that level before he’s considered for a major league promotion. He’s more likely a late-year callup.

John (Michigan): What were impressions on Tony Kemp, Mark Appel and Josh Hader?

Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Having handled the Astros in the 2015 Handbook, I knew all three well and the impressions were mixed this season. Kemp is a personal favorite, but the questions remain about whether he’ll hit enough in the majors to justify more than a utility role. Appel’s stuff is never in question, but he has not shown the consistency necessary for a rotation spot. Still, he continues to climb the ladder. Hader is another personal favorite. His funky delivery and fastball make him a good candidate for a strong lefthander reliever who can neutralize lefties. I don’t know that he has enough of a pitch mix to be a starter, but I think he has a major league future, as do Kemp and Appel.

Matt (Queens, NY): Did Tyrone Taylor's stock fall any this year, in your opinion? Which other Shuckers were considered for the list? Thanks for chatting.

Matt Eddy: I looked most closely at the Biloxi OF trio of LF Victor Roache, CF Tyrone Taylor and RF Michael Reed, probably favoring Reed the most in the bunch. Taylor didn’t hit much this year, but it was a true development year for him, and he’ll certainly return to the SL in 2016. He overhauled his stance this year, going from a spread-out setup to a more upright one intended to generate more power. It didn’t really pay off this year, but he can still defend and throw and make contact, so his floor remains extra OF. Reed is interesting for his on-base skills, but he might not have the HR power or contact ability to make it as a regular.

Ben (Iowa): Adrian Houser's walk rates went from very bad to very good after the trade to Milwaukee. Are advancements he made in sustainable?

Matt Eddy: One scout brought up Biloxi RHP Adrian Houser specifically. He didn’t spend much time in the SL because he was Astros property for most of 2015. Houser falls in and out of his delivery and that affects his control. However, he has been clocked as high as 98 mph and has flashed a plus breaking ball and good-enough changeup. This is a good speculative play by the Brewers.

Ben (Iowa): Josh Hader had a strikeout rate north of 30% for Biloxi. Has his secondary stuff made enough advancements that he could be a starter long term or does he project more a reliever?

Matt Eddy: Biloxi LHP Josh Hader can dial his FB up to 96 mph from a low slot that batters aren’t used to seeing. Reports on his breaking ball are not optimistic, however, making him a better bullpen candidate than starter option.

David (Ponte Vedra Bch, Fl): Did any of your sources directly compare Jorge Lopez and Jose Berrios and if so, why did they rate one over the other?

Matt Eddy: Sure, comparing and contrasting Jorge Lopez and Jose Berrios was a major focal point for me because they’re the top two righthanders in the SL. Every source indicated that Lopez has a higher ceiling because of a stronger breaking ball, more prototypical starter build and a tick better velocity. They’re both going to be qualify major league starting pitchers, and Berrios does offer a few other advantages, such as an outstanding changeup and incredible mound presence (both accurate).

Eric Rodriguez (Puerto Rico): Jorge Lopez top 100 prospect?

Matt Eddy: Yes, definitely.

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#257 » by crkone » Fri Oct 9, 2015 5:20 pm

Looks like Gatewood is getting reps at third with Lara.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/brewers-jacob-gatewood-tries-third-base/

And even if his size—6-foot-5 and 190 pounds—pushes him to third base, the sock in his bat will be more than enough to help him profile offensively at the position.

Not coincidentally, that’s where Gatewood was lined up on Thursday during the Brewers’ instructional league game with the Indians at the Maryvale Baseball Complex. After 146 professional starts, all at shortstop, he moved over to the right of fellow Brewers prospect Gilbert Lara.

Lara, too, has played third base this fall, in an effort by the Brewers to add a bit of versatility to both players.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#258 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:23 am

I wonder what their current long term plan is for first? Denson?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#259 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:56 pm

It is great our farm system is improving so much. I would think we have to be closing in on the upper half of best systems in baseball. Pretty considering we rated one of the worst like 2-3 years ago.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#260 » by LUKE23 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Baseball Prospectus had an article ranking the top 50 prospects in the NL Central. I took a few minutes and threw the rankings into Excel. If we can add good Lucroy/Lind trades and another high ceiling draft to this, we should be in contention for the top farm system in the game after the 2016 draft.

CHC 7 12 17 19 30 33 45 46 50
CIN 5 11 13 14 23 42 43 49
MIL 2 8 9 16 18 21 22 24 25 26 32 35 40 47
PIT 1 4 6 10 15 20 29 31 37 41
STL 3 27 28 36 38 39 44 48

Return to Milwaukee Brewers