ImageImage

Melvin Resigns - David Stearns New GM

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: Melvin Resigns - Page 2 

Post#41 » by wichmae » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:06 pm

I would suspect the have someone in by the end of September. Like you said there is no rush.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,047

Post#42 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Ben Cherington is on the market.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#43 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:17 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Ben Cherington is on the market.

No thanks. His World Series was a perfect storm. He seems to covet undervalued vets on shorter contracts, which isn't terrible, but probably won't work well and is somewhat similar to what Melvin did.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

No thanks. His World Series was a perfect storm. He seems to covet undervalued vets on shorter contracts, which isn't terrible, but probably won't work well and is somewhat similar to what Melvin did.

He also was Theo's right hand man for two other World Series victories.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, but I'd need to look more into his drafting history to get a better idea of who he is.

ETA: Law things the Red Sox have the best farm system in baseball.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#45 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Yeah, he does have a good scouting/drafting background. The Red Sox, as usual, probably have slightly overvalued prospects.

Moncada is a guy that you can't make an analogy to the Brewers with. That one was a winning bid by the Red Sox, something the Brewers can't do as often.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#46 » by trwi7 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 pm

No. He's awful. A payroll that big and he's going to finish in last again in what is now the weak AL East.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#47 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:42 pm

trwi7 wrote:

No. He's awful. A payroll that big and he's going to finish in last again in what is now the weak AL East.

Their pitching decisions were unreal. You could tell they were trying to take 4 guys that were 4.5 ERA-types, all with "promise" at some point in their careers and turn them into sub-4 ERA guys. Of course, they've all gotten worse in the AL East.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:55 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Eh, I don't think a guy who won a World Series as a GM and was actively involved in two others can be classified as "awful."

As for your complaints: how much of that is on Cherington and how much of that is on Lucchino et al demanding a title contending roster at all costs? The pressure in Boston to compete every year isn't the same as it would be in Milwaukee with a limited payroll. He has a good scouting background.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#49 » by trwi7 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Cherington had slightly more to do with the Red Sox first two titles than I did. He has led the Red Sox to three last place finishes in four years. The World Series was the exception, not the rule. You look at the drafts he was a part of and they for the most part were ****.

This is not a guy that we should be looking at. A huge payroll and 3 last place finishes in 4 years. Yes he got the World Series when all of his older free agent signings managed to stay healthy and productive but that's more luck than skill, shown by the records of the team the past two years.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#50 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 pm

I also pass on Cherington. While Frank Wren is a significant downgrade to him. He is in no way an upgrade over Melvin. Personally I would rather give the job to Montgomery
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#51 » by Sky Bucks » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:35 pm

There was a tweet by Nightingale saying that the Brewers are planning on cleaning house, I would be very disappointed to see Montgomery go.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#52 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm

I know Attanasio taking over from the Selig family was a very positive thing and the Brewers have been successful in the last decade overall. And by that I mean the last decade was much improved than the decade before it and in 2002 it was bleak looking. With that said, I'm fine cleaning house but am I a little right being concerned about Attanasio being able to build us back up? He seems too involved, not really a baseball guy, and think he came in at time where things couldn't get much worse and had a stocked system on the cusp. Maybe I'm underselling him, but I'm not 100% confident in the future front office structure if he is going to be really involved yet.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,479

Post#53 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:49 pm

I'm not sure of the degree of his meddling. I'm guessing it's pretty high. Certainly he (and every owner) have to sign off on signing free agents and major trades but I think it goes beyond that. Maybe not. We had a nice few years based on drafting, Fielder/Braun/Hart/Yo/Hardy/Weeks, Our free agent signings have been mostly bad. Suppan, Lohse, Garza, etc...
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#54 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm not sure of the degree of his meddling. I'm guessing it's pretty high. Certainly he (and every owner) have to sign off on signing free agents and major trades but I think it goes beyond that. Maybe not. We had a nice few years based on drafting, Fielder/Braun/Hart/Yo/Hardy/Weeks, Our free agent signings have been mostly bad. Suppan, Lohse, Garza, etc...

The problem with our free agents is we give that extra year (and maybe we have to) and they are awful in that last year. I would say Lohse, Aramis, Randy Wolf, and even Suppan to a point were pretty good in their first couple years but the last year of their deals were terrible. Garza has been bad. I guess he could possibly rebound if he's truly been hurt this year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,063

Post#55 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:57 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/634448836807774208[/tweet]

:pray:
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#56 » by LittleRooster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:27 am

ReasonablySober wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/634448836807774208[/tweet]

:pray:
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#57 » by chuckleslove » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:17 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/642125602611404800[/tweet]
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#58 » by LittleRooster » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:47 am

chuckleslove wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/642125602611404800[/tweet]

Yes!!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,479

Post#59 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:59 pm

While the Pirates are playing host to the Brewers in a four-game series at PNC Park, one of Pittsburgh's club executives will be in Milwaukee interviewing for the team's general manager opening.

Pirates director of player personnel Tyrone Brooks is being interviewed to replace Doug Melvin, who announced in August he will step aside into an advisory role. The Brewers are believed to have narrowed their candidates to a somewhat short list to interview, with hopes of having a new general manager in place perhaps before the postseason ends.

Brooks, 41, oversees the Pirates' pro scouting and international scouting departments. He is in his sixth season with Pittsburgh and 20th in professional baseball, having previously served as the team's director of baseball operations.

Brooks was primarily responsible for the signing of Korean infielder Jung Ho Kang, who has made a strong impact with the big-league club in his first season in 2015.

Various reports have indicated the Brewers also will interview Dan Kantrovitz, assistant general manager for the Oakland Athletics, as well asChaim Bloom, who holds the same position with the Tampa Bay Rays. The Brewers are not commenting publicly on candidates they are considering to replace Melvin.

The Brewers will not need to ask for permission to interview Ray Montgomery, their director of amateur scouting and special assistant to Melvin. Montgomery is believed to be the only internal candidate being considered for the job.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#60 » by tski1972 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:01 pm

other names that have been linked to the Brewers GM search are Rays VP of baseball operations Chaim Bloom and Pirates director of player personnel Tyrone Brooks.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes

Return to Milwaukee Brewers