ImageImage

2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Re: 2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out 

Post#821 » by LUKE23 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:In McCalvy's newsletter this afternoon he says that long term deals have not be discussed with Burnes. They were only interested in one year deals, and trades were actually explored in the offseason. It seems likely that we're going to get see major gutting done to this team.

Yeah, was concerned about this. With attendance down (and given the experiences I've had recently at Miller Park, I'm not shocked it is), I kind of felt Mark A was going to cut payroll a bit. I was hoping they would just go young on offense (Turang, Frelick, Feliciano next year, Chourio/Quero maybe a year later) and keep Burnes/Woody while trading Peralta, etc, but I feel like they are going to move Burnes and try to replicate a "good enough" rotation while attempting to rebuild the farm system pitching.

I don't know, I just don't see that working to become a contender. You would have just lost your two most dominant pitchers (Hader/Burnes) in the span of a 1/3 of a season.

I think if Burnes is traded you are waiving the white flag on legitimately trying to build a contender.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#822 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:15 pm

Burnes has pitched his way out of any realistic chance of staying. Just the cold reality of a non big money club. It's just a question of when not if he gets traded.

If they do trade him this winter then they might as well deal some of the other vets and try a quick reset.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,045

Post#823 » by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:54 pm

Maybe this will be the year the Mets finally get Stearns.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#824 » by neiLz » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:10 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Burnes has pitched his way out of any realistic chance of staying. Just the cold reality of a non big money club. It's just a question of when not if he gets traded.

If they do trade him this winter then they might as well deal some of the other vets and try a quick reset.

Don't want to trade him (basically only reason I've tuned in after the all star break along with Woodruff), but like hader, they should sell early and maximize the return. When you have a cheap **** owner who strives for treadmills, you need to maximize every asset. I don't think this team has a shot until Churio and Co. get called up (2 years, even then they will take time), so might as well reset and get a ton of prospects. Looks like their development has gone well with pitching lately and can nab some prospects from other teams they like plus get some actual MLB prospects who can hit as well. Bring them all up together and try again.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#825 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:36 pm

neiLz wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Burnes has pitched his way out of any realistic chance of staying. Just the cold reality of a non big money club. It's just a question of when not if he gets traded.

Don't want to trade him (basically only reason I've tuned in after the all star break along with Woodruff), but like hader, they should sell early and maximize the return. When you have a cheap **** owner who strives for treadmills, you need to maximize every asset. I don't think this team has a shot until Churio and Co. get called up (2 years, even then they will take time), so might as well reset and get a ton of prospects. Looks like their development has gone well with pitching lately and can nab some prospects from other teams they like plus get some actual MLB prospects who can hit as well. Bring them all up together and try again.
I can understand the reasoning behind trading him this winter and also hanging on for one more year.

Option one gets them a better package because of the extra year of control. It also eliminates the risk of him getting hurt or struggling next season which could submarine his trade value.

But I also get the notion that a 'punchers chance' is the best chance the brewers or any non big money team ever gets so might as well try one more time. Maybe they get lucky with some 1 yr deals and they are really good. Plus you could always trade him at the deadline if the season isn't going well. And as long as he stays healthy and good they would still get a good package next winter.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,049

Post#826 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:41 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Maybe this will be the year the Mets finally get Stearns.

Read on Twitter

I believe it was reported that Stearns contract is up after 2023. But if the Brewers win the WS this year his contract is up after this season (won't happen). It's dumb to keep him around as a lame duck. If he really plans to leave after next season just get something for him now from the Mets.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,049

Post#827 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:43 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
neiLz wrote:

I can understand the reasoning behind trading him this winter and also hanging on for one more year.

Option one gets them a better package because of the extra year of control. It also eliminates the risk of him getting hurt or struggling next season which could submarine his trade value.

But I also get the notion that a 'punchers chance' is the best chance the brewers or any non big money team ever gets so might as well try one more time. Maybe they get lucky with some 1 yr deals and they are really good. Plus you could always trade him at the deadline if the season isn't going well. And as long as he stays healthy and good they would still get a good package next winter.

Good idea bringing this discussion over from the minor league thread. The rotation now:

Burnes: FA after 2024
Woodruff: FA after 2024
Lauer: FA after 2024
Peralta: FA after 2026 (team options for 2025 and 2026)
Ashby: FA after 2029 (team options for 2028 and 2029)

Always a risk on waiting to trade someone. He's the Cy Young winner and controllable for 2 years. Should have major trade value.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#828 » by neiLz » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:47 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
neiLz wrote:Don't want to trade him (basically only reason I've tuned in after the all star break along with Woodruff), but like hader, they should sell early and maximize the return. When you have a cheap **** owner who strives for treadmills, you need to maximize every asset. I don't think this team has a shot until Churio and Co. get called up (2 years, even then they will take time), so might as well reset and get a ton of prospects. Looks like their development has gone well with pitching lately and can nab some prospects from other teams they like plus get some actual MLB prospects who can hit as well. Bring them all up together and try again.

Good idea bringing this discussion over from the minor league thread. The rotation now:

Burnes: FA after 2024
Woodruff: FA after 2024
Lauer: FA after 2024
Peralta: FA after 2026 (team options for 2025 and 2026)
Ashby: FA after 2029 (team options for 2028 and 2029)

Always a risk on waiting to trade someone. He's the Cy Young winner and controllable for 2 years. Should have major trade value.

That damn rotation is elite. If Mark A were to splurge, next year is the year to do it. If he could get an all star level bat or two (3rd base, center field) they could easily contend. If not this is another 85ish win team that can make playoffs if a couple things go right, but they won't win shi t in playoffs scoring 2 runs a game.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,211

Post#829 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Another guy to potentially trade high on this offseason.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#830 » by leroyjw10 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:21 pm

I know Lindblom wasn't great with the Brewers and has been just OK at AAA, but I find it interesting that the Brewers are giving all these MLB innings to Jason Alexander instead of Lindblom, who they're paying substantial money. I don't know if Lindblom would've been any better than Costanza, but surprised they haven't at least given him a shot.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#831 » by LUKE23 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:45 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:I know Lindblom wasn't great with the Brewers and has been just OK at AAA, but I find it interesting that the Brewers are giving all these MLB innings to Jason Alexander instead of Lindblom, who they're paying substantial money. I don't know if Lindblom would've been any better than Costanza, but surprised they haven't at least given him a shot.

I hate Alexander but I can assure you Lindblom would have been worse. Do you remember the last game he pitched for Milwaukee? I could have sworn it was 10 ER with a bunch of HR, but it was like watching batting practice.

That said, I find it hard to believe Alexander is the best option even with the injuries.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers