ImageImage

2024 ATL Thread - Hader to Astros - 5/$95M

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Re: 2024 ATL Thread - Hader to Astros - 5/$95M 

Post#901 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:23 am

Man, are Helton and Beltre really HOF players? Feel like Hall of Really Good types. I don’t have a big issue with Mauer although after 30 he kind of fell off a bit. But those late 2000s/early 2010s he was a monster at the plate and really good behind the dish.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#902 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:31 am

Beltre's in the upper, upper tier of all-time 3B. Easy HOF choice.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Re: 2024 ATL Thread - MLB Nixes Amazon Deal, Negotiating Directly with Diamond 

Post#903 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:41 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:
It Looks Like Five Teams Will Have Their Games Exclusively Aired on Amazon in 2024 Season. It looks like the Detroit Tigers, Milwaukee Brewers, Tampa Bay Rays, Kansas City Royals and Miami Marlins will have their games streamed exclusively on Amazon Prime in 2024, according to the New York Post.

Curious how this will be handled. Extra cost to get? Also wonder if these games for Amazon teams will be part of the MLB Package (non local teams).

Exclusively? The reports I read were that games will still be on their current platforms (cable and Fubo) in addition to Amazon and there will be an extra charge on Amazon and the same local restrictions will apply.

I’m struggling to find details on how the arrangement would work. If they move to Amazon Prime and leave current platforms, I may be done with DirecTV Stream. If going to be on both, great. I actually like DTV Stream but a big reason for having is Bucks/Brewers and enjoy getting the Wild games too even though Rangers are my team and get via ESPN+.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,709

Post#904 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Man, are Helton and Beltre really HOF players? Feel like Hall of Really Good types. I don’t have a big issue with Mauer although after 30 he kind of fell off a bit. But those late 2000s/early 2010s he was a monster at the plate and really good behind the dish.

Huh? 3,000+ hits, nearly 500-homers, and being one of the best defensive 3rd basemen in his era seems like a pretty easy HoF case.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#905 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:17 pm

About the only thing with Beltre is he seemed to be pretty clearly attached to all of the PED stuff if I recall correctly. I don't have strong opinions on the matter (I think Bonds, etc. should be in but I don't care that much) - but it's annoying that guys that probably were just as culpable just skating through as if there is a difference.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#906 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Beltre's in the upper, upper tier of all-time 3B. Easy HOF choice.

Not going to lie, I did not realize Beltre’s numbers were as good as they were. Definitely worthy upon further review.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#907 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:54 pm

Helton is more interesting because there's the whole Coors Field thing. His numbers of .287/.386/.469 on the road are solid and even the analytics guys will argue that's still good enough...but that stat line isn't that good for the era. I think most of it was pre-humidor Coors era where the splits were asinine for most guys.

I guess it's comparable to Beltre's, but with Beltre you get the defense and longevity with it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#908 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:03 pm

Beltre's numbers are great, but with him you also got maybe 2nd best defensive 3B of all-time.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,070

Post#909 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:08 pm

I think all of those Rockies candidates should be getting the same treatment as the PEDers. Either you ignore the advantages and put them all in or keep them all out. There's no reason why Todd Helton should get in but A-Rod and Manny and Bonds shouldn't.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#910 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:39 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I think all of those Rockies candidates should be getting the same treatment as the PEDers. Either you ignore the advantages and put them all in or keep them all out. There's no reason why Todd Helton should get in but A-Rod and Manny and Bonds shouldn't.
It's ironic that the writers keep these guys out to 'preserve the sanctity' or some bull yet as someone in their 40s I have no interest in going because they've left out all the best players I watched growing up.

IMO just create a 90's wing and put up a sign talking about how guys were using but the league wasn't testing and generally looked the other way. 'Shrug our bad, numbers are probably inflated but here's all the best players'

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,692

Post#911 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:34 am

Wish Daddy Warbucks would come buy the Brewers

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#912 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:54 am

Wow. The Angelos out of Baltimore is such a cause for celebration. Feel really good for that fan base.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#913 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:56 pm

Let’s step back for a second. All of this has to do with watching games in-market. If you’re out of market, nothing changes: you sign up for MLB.tv or MLB Extra Innings, and that’s that.

If the plan goes through, not too much would change in-market either, at least not in the short term.

Say you’re a Cardinals fan living in St. Louis or the territory comprising the St. Louis overall market. There are two sets of rights to think about: linear/TV rights, and direct-to-consumer/streaming rights.

The linear rights are what bring you games when you sign up for cable or satellite or a digital service such as fubo. So if you get cable, and your cable provider carries a Bally channel, those are the linear rights at work.

Under this plan, Diamond would continue to broadcast games over TV. So long as you get the relevant Bally channel inside your market, you’d be good to go.

Then, the streaming rights govern whether consumers have another access point — a way to get games online without signing up for cable TV/satellite/fubo.

To that end, Diamond presently offers Bally Sports Plus, bundling together the teams for which it also holds the digital rights. For $20 a month today, you can stream your team’s games inside the market, so long as your team is carried by a Bally station.

With the Amazon-Diamond plan, the Bally name would go away entirely, so the package would be called something new. And the price would almost certainly increase. But the equivalent of the Bally Sports Plus offering would exist, and be marketed by one of the most powerful streaming services out there: Prime.

But it wouldn’t be included with the base price of a Prime subscription — it would require an additional fee, similar to signing up for Max or Showtime through Prime.

“This is part of channels, where you buy channels,” said Patrick Crakes of Crakes Media. “Same thing where you can buy Paramount Plus there.”

It’s not clear whether Prime would be the exclusive way to access the package, a person briefed on Diamond’s plans said. A press release said Amazon would be Diamond’s “primary” streaming partner, so it seems possible other options might exist.

Sounds like the Amazon deal is simply going to mean higher costs for consumers. This **** sucks.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,521

Post#914 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:50 pm

Spoiler:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Let’s step back for a second. All of this has to do with watching games in-market. If you’re out of market, nothing changes: you sign up for MLB.tv or MLB Extra Innings, and that’s that.

If the plan goes through, not too much would change in-market either, at least not in the short term.

Say you’re a Cardinals fan living in St. Louis or the territory comprising the St. Louis overall market. There are two sets of rights to think about: linear/TV rights, and direct-to-consumer/streaming rights.

The linear rights are what bring you games when you sign up for cable or satellite or a digital service such as fubo. So if you get cable, and your cable provider carries a Bally channel, those are the linear rights at work.

Under this plan, Diamond would continue to broadcast games over TV. So long as you get the relevant Bally channel inside your market, you’d be good to go.

Then, the streaming rights govern whether consumers have another access point — a way to get games online without signing up for cable TV/satellite/fubo.

To that end, Diamond presently offers Bally Sports Plus, bundling together the teams for which it also holds the digital rights. For $20 a month today, you can stream your team’s games inside the market, so long as your team is carried by a Bally station.

With the Amazon-Diamond plan, the Bally name would go away entirely, so the package would be called something new. And the price would almost certainly increase. But the equivalent of the Bally Sports Plus offering would exist, and be marketed by one of the most powerful streaming services out there: Prime.

But it wouldn’t be included with the base price of a Prime subscription — it would require an additional fee, similar to signing up for Max or Showtime through Prime.

“This is part of channels, where you buy channels,” said Patrick Crakes of Crakes Media. “Same thing where you can buy Paramount Plus there.”

It’s not clear whether Prime would be the exclusive way to access the package, a person briefed on Diamond’s plans said. A press release said Amazon would be Diamond’s “primary” streaming partner, so it seems possible other options might exist.

Sounds like the Amazon deal is simply going to mean higher costs for consumers. This **** sucks.

I've heard the Bally's app sucks so at least streamers would have the Amazon option, which I would assume would be more stable, even at a higher cost.

That article mentioned a possible June start date if everything is approved.

The article also didn't talk about NBA, I believe the Bucks deal with Diamond expires at the end of the year, which is why they are experimenting with some OTA broadcasts this season. So going forward it's very possible the Brewers will be on cable as they are now plus Amazon and the Bucks will be OTA and on their own streamer starting in October.

The whole article was interesting for anyone who gets The Athletic.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#915 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:23 pm

So are the Brewers still on Ballys for 2024? It’s so hard to keep track of all this ****.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#916 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:05 pm

LUKE23 wrote:So are the Brewers still on Ballys for 2024? It’s so hard to keep track of all this ****.

If you have a cable carrier that has Bally's or Fubo - Yes.

If you don't want to go that route or don't have the carrier, you can add a package on Amazon Prime for an add-on fee ($30/month? Total guess).
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#917 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:14 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:So are the Brewers still on Ballys for 2024? It’s so hard to keep track of all this ****.

If you don't want to go that route or don't have the carrier, you can add a package on Amazon Prime for an add-on fee ($30/month? Total guess).

I'm guessing $25-$30 a month. But I'm also guessing it won't be available at the start of the season, but maybe. I was hoping both Bucks and Brewers would make this move but it's becoming more likely that the Bucks are going to do their own thing. It would be sweet if they follow the Suns model, every game OTA locally and then also available via streaming for everyone not in MKE.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#918 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I'm guessing $25-$30 a month. But I'm also guessing it won't be available at the start of the season, but maybe. I was hoping both Bucks and Brewers would make this move but it's becoming more likely that the Bucks are going to do their own thing. It would be sweet if they follow the Suns model, every game OTA locally and then also available via streaming for everyone not in MKE.

If you want to get in early your could sign up for a year's worth of Ballys now. Averages out to under $16 a month.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#919 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

If you want to get in early your could sign up for a year's worth of Ballys now. Averages out to under $16 a month.

Yeah I'm wondering how that all plays out. Will the Ballys app co-exist when Amazon begins or will Ballys current customers just be switched over to Amazon. Locking in early may work out well. But I've heard so many bad things about the Bally's app I don't want to be locked into that garbage.
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#920 » by gbmb34 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:24 pm

I moved this over to the Brewers thread - MD
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com

Return to Milwaukee Brewers