ImageImage

Brewers/Padres Series

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,437

Re: Brewers/Padres Series 

Post#21 » by trwi7 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 12:10 am

$50+ million in boat anchors in the outfield/DH and Counsell turning into Generic Manager 2.0 by refusing to use Hader for a second inning after 4 days off and a day off tomorrow.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#22 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 6, 2022 7:21 pm

trwi7 wrote:$50+ million in boat anchors in the outfield/DH and Counsell turning into Generic Manager 2.0 by refusing to use Hader for a second inning after 4 days off and a day off tomorrow.

As generally an advanced baseball analytics supporter guy, I always tend to say the same thing about Hader when it seems like he could throw another inning, but...

There has to be some organizational directive behind this, and also it's hard to complain about the results.

Just to compare 2019 and 2021 since 2020 is negligible and 2019 is the final year that they used him as a multiple inning guy.

2019 he had 25 multiple-inning appearances, basically split his 9th inning appearances vs. non-9th inning. He was used pretty similarly in previous years leading up to 2019. His FIP/xFIP, etc. across all of that was roughly 2.5.

Now enter 2021, where he had 0 multiple inning appearances, basically all appearances in the 9th other than 2 in the 8th, 2 in the 10th.

1.69 FIP, 2.35 xFIP. He's even doing better this year with similar usage at .99 and 2.20.

There can be all sorts of caveats here with inherited runners scoring, facing less important parts of the other lineup, etc. but something does seem to be working here even if it feels like a regression to 1995 management.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#23 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 6, 2022 7:27 pm

As for the Cain/Yelich part of that post, I agree. I was a fan of the initial trade for Yelich and the Cain signing (knowing we'd get this on the back end of Cain). I did not like the Yelich extension very much.

That said, he's probably fine as an average OF. The numbers aren't great but Yelich's peripherals suggest he's fine as an average sort of OF at worst. I do think they trade for another big bat in the next month or two and Cain is relegated to defensive replacement OF or sits out 75% of the year with "hamstring soreness" or something.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers