ImageImage

Stearns steps down

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Re: Stearns steps down 

Post#21 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:00 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It will be interesting to see what he can do with a large payroll. Maybe we let him out a year early in exchange for absorbing Yelich's contract wherever he ends up. I wish.

Isnt yelich owed like $150m? That sounds like a lot to absorb.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,070

Post#22 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:30 pm

I don't know why he had to step down in order to facilitate a move elsewhere. But I was expecting him to leave sometime this year or next. Perhaps there was some sort of agreement between Attanasio and Stearns that he'd stay in Milwaukee through this season and then we'd let him walk for nothing one year early...but I hope that's not the case.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,520

Post#23 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:16 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:It will be interesting to see what he can do with a large payroll. Maybe we let him out a year early in exchange for absorbing Yelich's contract wherever he ends up. I wish.

Isnt yelich owed like $150m? That sounds like a lot to absorb.

Yeah we'd have to take back a bad contract but hopefully one with less years on it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#24 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:21 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I don't know why he had to step down in order to facilitate a move elsewhere. But I was expecting him to leave sometime this year or next. Perhaps there was some sort of agreement between Attanasio and Stearns that he'd stay in Milwaukee through this season and then we'd let him walk for nothing one year early...but I hope that's not the case.

It's kind of weird. Maybe he legitimately wants to step back for a year before moving his family to another city. But if the plan is for him to move on before next season then why this intermediate step. If Mark wants some compensation from another team to let him go early they could work that out without making this move. My guess is Mark will let him move on with no strings. It kind of sucks that he's being remembered as the guy who botched the Hader trade. Every GM botches things. More so in baseball probably since so many top minor league prospects end up being busts.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#27 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:48 pm

So it sounds like they wanted to extend him, he declined, and (rightfully) that meant they didn't want to have a lame-duck decision maker. Firing him doesn't do the team any good because he gets paid and can go anywhere he likes. So this officially takes him out of the decision making and let's the league know he's available for compensation.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#28 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So it sounds like they wanted to extend him, he declined, and (rightfully) that meant they didn't want to have a lame-duck decision maker. Firing him doesn't do the team any good because he gets paid and can go anywhere he likes. So this officially takes him out of the decision making and let's the league know he's available for compensation.

Is there any word on Stearns at all? At this point I assume we are not getting compensation and his deal is just going to expire. Other than occasionally hearing him linked to the Mets, feel like he has virtually disappeared.
UWM_Brew_Buck
Analyst
And1: 883

Post#29 » by UWM_Brew_Buck » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:47 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:So it sounds like they wanted to extend him, he declined, and (rightfully) that meant they didn't want to have a lame-duck decision maker. Firing him doesn't do the team any good because he gets paid and can go anywhere he likes. So this officially takes him out of the decision making and let's the league know he's available for compensation.

Is there any word on Stearns at all? At this point I assume we are not getting compensation and his deal is just going to expire. Other than occasionally hearing him linked to the Mets, feel like he has virtually disappeared.

I saw him at a beer garden on the weekend so he is at least in town.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:15 pm

Sounds like we weren't going to let him go early without compensation and also didn't want him around as a lame duck so they're just running out the clock. The Mets are the logical destination and Bob Nightingale reported last month that's what will happen but supposedly the Red Sox may make a play for him. It will be interesting to see how he handles a larger payroll wherever he ends up. As we've seen, high payroll doesn't automatically bring you success but it does allow you to move on from mistakes a lot quicker.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:40 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Sounds like we weren't going to let him go early without compensation and also didn't want him around as a lame duck so they're just running out the clock. The Mets are the logical destination and Bob Nightingale reported last month that's what will happen but supposedly the Red Sox may make a play for him. It will be interesting to see how he handles a larger payroll wherever he ends up. As we've seen, high payroll doesn't automatically bring you success but it does allow you to move on from mistakes a lot quicker.

I just hope he doesn't gut our pitching lab staff.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#32 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:04 pm

One of the interesting things I took away from all the chaos was Stearns and CC were never super close. CC I think used the Mets for leverage on an even higher contract. Curious how things play out for Cubs vs Mets over the next few years. I thought Stearns did good work here although felt had a few kore misses in the last few years vs early on.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers