Brewers Org / American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,074

Re: American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion 

Post#61 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:51 pm

I don't get it...where's the tailgating in those "nice" versions of Miller Park in that dude's account?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,506

Post#62 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't get it...where's the tailgating in those "nice" versions of Miller Park in that dude's account?

2 of the pics are of the new Rays park and 2 are of current AmFam. He's showing how cool the new Rays park will be with development around it compared to asphalt around our stadium.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:00 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I don't get it...where's the tailgating in those "nice" versions of Miller Park in that dude's account?

2 of the pics are of the new Rays park and 2 are of current AmFam. He's showing how cool the new Rays park will be with development around it compared to asphalt around our stadium.

Yea, I got that. I'm asking if he's seriously thinking that a bunch of high priced bars and retail space is better than this?

Tailgating is a huge reason why people go to Brewer games in the first place.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#64 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Yea, I got that. I'm asking if he's seriously thinking that a bunch of high priced bars and retail space is better than this?

I don't see why you can't do both. As has been pointed out, the parking lots are larger than Disney. You can carve out a slice for some bars/restaurants and still have room for plenty of tailgating. And on non game days it will be a lot easier to go to the Beer District than the Deer district, with easy parking, compared to dealing with downtown.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#65 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:30 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:2 of the pics are of the new Rays park and 2 are of current AmFam. He's showing how cool the new Rays park will be with development around it compared to asphalt around our stadium.

I don't see why you can't do both. As has been pointed out, the parking lots are larger than Disney. You can carve out a slice for some bars/restaurants and still have room for plenty of tailgating. And on non game days it will be a lot easier to go to the Beer District than the Deer district, with easy parking, compared to dealing with downtown.

It also I think misses the point of how the public funding is being spent. For discussion let's grant that - fine - there will be nothing of the 'district' sort added. Notably - 'high price bars and retail space' (which it is). So for the same amount of public funding, minus said high priced stuff, we're getting...even less?

We **** up somewhere.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:35 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

It also I think misses the point of how the public funding is being spent. For discussion let's grant that - fine - there will be nothing of the 'district' sort added. Notably - 'high price bars and retail space' (which it is). So for the same amount of public funding, minus said high priced stuff, we're getting...even less?

We **** up somewhere.

The total cost of the Rays plan is $1.3 billion. Total cost of the Brewers plan is $700 million. It makes sense that they're getting more "stuff". It costs $600 million more.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#67 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:36 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I don't see why you can't do both. As has been pointed out, the parking lots are larger than Disney. You can carve out a slice for some bars/restaurants and still have room for plenty of tailgating. And on non game days it will be a lot easier to go to the Beer District than the Deer district, with easy parking, compared to dealing with downtown.

We **** up somewhere.

The total cost of the Rays plan is $1.3 billion. Total cost of the Brewers plan is $700 million. It makes sense that they're getting more "stuff". It costs $600 million more.

Public funding. $600M each.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

We **** up somewhere.

I know. I don't like that $600 million is going to come from the public, but I also don't see the comparison.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:44 pm

Also, that Tampa money is just the stadium. All that beautiful new stuff surrounding the Tampa stadium is part of massive new development that's gonna run for $6.5 billion.

The Tampa Bay Rays’ new proposed stadium, which would be part of a larger, $6.5 billion development in St. Petersburg’s Historic Gas Plant district, also has diversity and inclusion goals.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#70 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:25 pm

The proposal isn't that any of the $600 million be used on development. It's that as part of this project some of the parking lot be used for development and the associated property taxes paid by whoever develops it be used to pay down the public portion of the financing.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#71 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:27 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I know. I don't like that $600 million is going to come from the public, but I also don't see the comparison.

Just because it feels bad IMO. My only intent here was to point out what the public is getting out of what they're investing into the team. It just points out that we're **** up somewhere, somehow - and maybe all over. Like with an owner who won't foot more of the bill, or with horrible planning and maintenance the past 25 years.

I'm glad it's getting done, especially as I guess I had no idea just how bad things actually were, and maybe we were closer to the threats of being moved if something didn't happen than we could have realized. But my reaction is just about the bad, lingering feeling it leaves me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The proposal isn't that any of the $600 million be used on development. It's that as part of this project some of the parking lot be used for development and the associated property taxes paid by whoever develops it be used to pay down the public portion of the financing.

There probably could be a plan that develops the land currently being occupied by parking lots. Just go and find a few $ billion.

I'm really only just annoyed at the original tweets:

Read on Twitter
?

Like, no sh*t the Tampa version looks more fun. It cost $5.2 billion more.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#73 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:13 pm

I think the Deer District is great. There are a lot of events there throughout the year. If they do something similar around AmFam AND still have a few thousand parking spots for tailgating I'm all for it. It doesn't have to be a replica of Tampa. It's not all or nothing. So yeah those pics are misleading, we're not going to have that here under any circumstances.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#74 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:42 pm

Good call out about the funding for the stadium vs district as a whole. I don't know about the funding for their district (and, frankly, don't care as I will at no point in my life ever live in Florida).

I can't speak to the intent the tweeter had. The only intent I had was pointing out what the public is getting out of an equal amount of funding. Do with it what you will, I guess. I just want it to be clear what my gripe is and what feels bad to me. Even "just" considering the stadium costs, it's still a much larger chunk being privately funded vs. our situation. It's that it feels like we (Brewers fans and WI otherwise) are bankrolling ownership's **** ups to keep the team, which feels bad to me.

Moving on. Much like with the Bucks, I'm sweeping it under the rug in my head cuz sports.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#75 » by BUCKnation » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:31 pm

I'm no urban developer, but a decent compromise in my head is to consolidate some of the parking for non-tailgaters. I'm sure they've done surveys to know the average percentage of fans who don't tailgate and for those people, you could build a couple of garages closer to the stadium so you don't have to walk a mile to/from the stadium to get to your car. In the freed up lots, you could build a deer district like area next to the stadium.

I also don't know the current state of the stadium. I haven't been to a game in years, living out of state/country for awhile now. I assume the roof is kind of f***ed based on this weekend, but it seems like everything else is fine based on what others say. I've only been Minnesota, Fenway x2 and Yankee Stadium for other ballparks for games and the stadium seems just as good as those based on my last impressions.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:58 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I'm no urban developer, but a decent compromise in my head is to consolidate some of the parking for non-tailgaters. I'm sure they've done surveys to know the average percentage of fans who don't tailgate and for those people, you could build a couple of garages closer to the stadium so you don't have to walk a mile to/from the stadium to get to your car. In the freed up lots, you could build a deer district like area next to the stadium.

I also don't know the current state of the stadium. I haven't been to a game in years, living out of state/country for awhile now. I assume the roof is kind of f***ed based on this weekend, but it seems like everything else is fine based on what others say. I've only been Minnesota, Fenway x2 and Yankee Stadium for other ballparks for games and the stadium seems just as good as those based on my last impressions.

Parking garage is a good option because yes, many do not tailgate. I hadn't heard of any roof leaks this year but the videos showed quite a bit last weekend. There were issues early on but those were taken care of.

From a standpoint of actually watching a game it's just fine. I usually either tailgate or eat before I go but the food is better than FiServ imo.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:15 am

I'm not as familiar with Milwaukee as you guys, but isn't Miller Park out in relative no-where? Like to me the Deer District made sense given the location. I've never thought of Miller Park like that.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#78 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:50 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not as familiar with Milwaukee as you guys, but isn't Miller Park out in relative no-where? Like to me the Deer District made sense given the location. I've never thought of Miller Park like that.

It's about 3 miles from downtown. It's right on the highway so it's pretty convenient. Depending where you're coming from downtown can be a bit more convenient but then you have to find parking.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#79 » by tski1972 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:06 pm

I’ve probably been to around 50 Brewers games in my lifetime and I believe I’ve tailgated once. I know lots love to do it but it’s not for me.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#80 » by Sky Bucks » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:41 pm

I’ve been to 9 Brewer games this year and have tailgated all but 1 of them. To me, the tailgating experience is what really makes Brewer game/atmosphere stand out. Really brings a “football” feel to baseball. Plenty of away fans have stated to us at various points how amazing the tailgate experience is. IMO we can’t completely ignore this fact.

Now with that said, most of the games I’ve been too, there are complete sections of the Yount Lot that get unused. I don’t think they should remove too much parking space, but there is definitely room to add some sort of district for the non-tailgating crowd. Plus if that lowers public dollars, I’m all for it.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin

Return to Milwaukee Brewers