Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,522

Re: American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion 

Post#101 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:41 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:I'm surprised there haven't been more non-baseball events. Seems like its only once or twice a year they have a concert or a basketball game. I remember a soccer game in the past and even bowling, but it's few and far between.

Cause the venue sucks for anything other then baseball and even for baseball it kinda sucks.

I think for baseball it's great ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#102 » by ReginaldDwight » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:19 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:I'm surprised there haven't been more non-baseball events. Seems like its only once or twice a year they have a concert or a basketball game. I remember a soccer game in the past and even bowling, but it's few and far between.

Cause the venue sucks for anything other then baseball and even for baseball it kinda sucks.

I think for baseball it's great ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roof open its alright, but this year was the first time I have been to a game that they had the place fully open in many years. Feel they close it for very little reason sometimes. **** why was it closed last night it was beautiful out. My main gripe is it doesnt feel like youre outside at a ball game it feels like youre in an indoor arena.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,697

Post#103 » by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,073

Post#104 » by MVP2110 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This seems like really good news
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#105 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:37 pm

I'm glad a deal is pretty much done but I'm not holding my breath on the Beer District. The Brewers will either get it killed or kick the can many years down the road. We need a new owner(s)
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#106 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:59 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm glad a deal is pretty much done but I'm not holding my breath on the Beer District. The Brewers will either get it killed or kick the can many years down the road. We need a new owner(s)

Are we sure? The Brewers owners would stand to make alot of $$$ on a Beer District
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#107 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:06 am

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I'm glad a deal is pretty much done but I'm not holding my breath on the Beer District. The Brewers will either get it killed or kick the can many years down the road. We need a new owner(s)

Are we sure? The Brewers owners would stand to make alot of $$$ on a Beer District

They could and yet they've been against it so we'll see. I seriously wish Mark would cash out.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:10 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

They could and yet they've been against it so we'll see. I seriously wish Mark would cash out.

If he hypothetically did, what do you think would be the odds we'd get a better owner? From my standpoint he's about average in payroll spending and maybe even slightly above average when you factor markets in, but where I think he excels is hiring people and that can't be understated. I think hiring the right people is massively important and he's done really well there. I'm hesitant to have him sell to some random other owner who may or may not spend more but likely wouldn't be as good in the hiring department.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#109 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:19 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

If he hypothetically did, what do you think would be the odds we'd get a better owner? From my standpoint he's about average in payroll spending and maybe even slightly above average when you factor markets in, but where I think he excels is hiring people and that can't be understated. I think hiring the right people is massively important and he's done really well there. I'm hesitant to have him sell to some random other owner who may or may not spend more but likely wouldn't be as good in the hiring department.

That is a good point. Certainly could get alot worse. I thought he inherited Doug Melvin, which I guess would qualify as a good decision to keep him. I thought Melvin did a nice job here, especially for when he took over a pretty bleak situation. Stearns was obviously a good hire and so far I like Arnold. So yes, he has done well at GM.

Manager-wise I would say Yost was a good hire. He flamed at the end, but credit for turning a bad situation around and obviously later won a WS with the Royals. Macha was not a good hire at all. Roenicke was fine overall I guess. Obviously Counsell has been really good.

Scouting department has been pretty good too. It seems every time the system is depleted, it bounces back pretty quickly.

So yeah, to your point, it could be alot worse if Mark A sells.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#110 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:24 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Definitely with you on the last part. Any time on another social media, in person, forum, whatever - if I support Attanasio in the context of baseball realities, you get called a bootlicker or whatever.

Yeah, in some weird fan fiction, it would rule if Attanasio or someone bought the team that is basically dead last in market and spends like a top 10 franchise. But anyone is realistic knows that that isn't going to happen, and if it did, what would be the reason for all of the other small markets not spending up as well?

So yeah - the organization, given constraints, has done pretty damn well. I don't adore billionaire Mark Attanasio, but realistically, I'm not sure it can get any better.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#111 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:37 pm

I know a new owner could be worse and I don't expect one to double payroll but I'm ready to move on. Now would be a good time. Long term stadium deal about done, no expensive long term contracts other than Yelich. And he could maybe be moved.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:48 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I know a new owner could be worse and I don't expect one to double payroll but I'm ready to move on. Now would be a good time. Long term stadium deal about done, no expensive long term contracts other than Yelich. And he could maybe be moved.

Besides a payroll increase of like 10-15% what are you hoping a new owner would bring? Or is it purely you just want a new owner to spend more?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#113 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:55 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I know a new owner could be worse and I don't expect one to double payroll but I'm ready to move on. Now would be a good time. Long term stadium deal about done, no expensive long term contracts other than Yelich. And he could maybe be moved.

Besides a payroll increase of like 10-15% what are you hoping a new owner would bring? Or is it purely you just want a new owner to spend more?

I've just grown tired of him (and Schlesinger tbh). I appreciate that we have started making the playoffs under him (with expanded teams) but the franchise has grown stale. I understand MLB economics, small market, etc. He's stated that the ownership group expects a return on their investment each year. The franchise value has gone from $232 million to $1.6 billion. It should be ok to dip into the equity from time to time. Herb was in the red a majority of time as an owner but cashed in when he sold the team. Sure, he often spent money unwisely but he didn't need a yearly profit to pad his bank account. The Bucks are in the red. I know it's not apples to apples.

I guess I'm just sick of celebrating the team that lost the WS 41 years ago and I'm ready to roll the dice.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I've just grown tired of him (and Schlesinger tbh). I appreciate that we have started making the playoffs under him (with expanded teams) but the franchise has grown stale. I understand MLB economics, small market, etc. He's stated that the ownership group expects a return on their investment each year. The franchise value has gone from $232 million to $1.6 billion. It should be ok to dip into the equity from time to time. Herb was in the red a majority of time as an owner but cashed in when he sold the team. Sure, he often spent money unwisely but he didn't need a yearly profit to pad his bank account. The Bucks are in the red. I know it's not apples to apples.

I guess I'm just sick of celebrating the team that lost the WS 41 years ago and I'm ready to roll the dice.

Would you rather have a Herb Kohl type owner who spent more $ but spent it poorly or a Mark A owner who spent about average for the market but it spent it wisely? Cause for me the easy answer is Mark A
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#115 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:31 pm

I don't want either one. I'd like to spend more (within reason) and spend it wisely. Every owner/GM makes some bad financial decisions. I'd just like some more flexibility.

But at the end of the day payroll isn't the most important thing to me. This franchise is stuck in the mud. The team gave away thousands of free playoff tickets to sponsors who then gave them away to employees. They used to have a fun fan event at the WI Center (or whatever it's called now). A majority of players were there. Minor leaguers. Past players. Uecker. My son and I would go. It was fun. It drew a lot of people This year? They had an "event" at a bar with a few players. Last year we had Schlesinger pimping X-Golf. I've been going to games my whole life, so has my son. This year we each went to the fewest games ever despite a team that was in first place most of the season.

Seems like most of you are happy with the status quo because "it could be worse". I've grown tired of it and ready to take some chances.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:38 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't want either one. I'd like to spend more (within reason) and spend it wisely. Every owner/GM makes some bad financial decisions. I'd just like some more flexibility.

But at the end of the day payroll isn't the most important thing to me. This franchise is stuck in the mud. The team gave away thousands of free playoff tickets to sponsors who then gave them away to employees. They used to have a fun fan event at the WI Center (or whatever it's called now). A majority of players were there. Minor leaguers. Past players. Uecker. My son and I would go. It was fun. It drew a lot of people This year? They had an "event" at a bar with a few players. Last year we had Schlesinger pimping X-Golf. I've been going to games my whole life, so has my son. This year we each went to the fewest games ever despite a team that was in first place most of the season.

Seems like most of you are happy with the status quo because "it could be worse". I've grown tired of it and ready to take some chances.

I don't live in the area so I guess the off field stuff isn't my biggest priority but I can understand why it would be for those who do live there. For me I just want a competitive team that has a chance and I feel like Mark A has done a good job of providing that during his tenure.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#117 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:18 pm

I don’t disagree with the stale argument. As successful as the team was this year, the overall buzz did not seem to be there and I honestly think with how the playoffs went that its not going to be there next year unless they make some splashy move. Attendance compared to like 2018-19 is down 4-5K/game albeit a slight increase from last year. I have been pretty in it personally but even in my sport loving friend circle, the Brewers vibe was hit or miss. It feels like how the Bucks felt like 10-ish years ago and the Bucks feel like the Brewers did 10-ish years ago but have a ring to celebrate.

I’m also fatigued of 1982. The 1982 squad probably even would like something else to celebrate at this point.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by MVP2110 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=zRoqi2SLoStVqurr3CJ6mA&s=19
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#119 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:43 am

So there will be a small ticket surcharge added to NON Brewer events. That's ridiculous. Tack a couple of bucks per ticket for Brewers games. If Ticketmaster can charge large fees per ticket, a couple of extra bucks to help pay the bill should be fine.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,036

Post#120 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:28 pm

it seems weird that this seems to be getting done without a lot of noise. I feel like it was down to the wire with the Bucks and that was with the owners putting in 55% of the cost and a good vision for future development/multi-use arena.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers